Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  ♫♫♪♪♪♪♪ HGTV BOM Jan 2014 ♫♫♫♫♫♪♪♪♪♪ New WINNER :)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

♫♫♪♪♪♪♪ HGTV BOM Jan 2014 ♫♫♫♫♫♪♪♪♪♪ New WINNER :) Sign In/Join 
Picture of BOM Sisters
posted
Good Morning Everyone, The new 2014 BOM starts today!!!!

Welcome to the BOM for 2014. Being hosted by PattyJ and Sister Sue.

A Bit of Background......
*ALL board members are welcome to join us! There is no commitment or sign-up. Just join in the fun by posting on this thread.

*You are not swapping, exchanging or anything else, just make the block we post on the first of each month; show us a photo of your work, and be entered into a drawing for a unique surprise .

* Each month, we will be doing a block from Quilter's Cache.
At the end of the year you will have 12 beautiful finished 12 ½ inch square blocks (give or take ¼ inch. LOL)
With your finished blocks you can either make then into a quilt or divide them up into smaller projects such as: wall hangings, table runners, totes, or even just have extra blocks to finish a UFO. 
At the end of the year we will reveal what we have done with our 12 blocks and we want to see what you have decided to do with yours.
All Quilters who complete all 12 blocks and turn them into projects or quilts by the end of December will be eligible to enter the drawing, taking place on Jan. 1, 2015 . The quilts need to be a finished top ( not sandwiched or quilted). The projects need to be finished completely.

Credit: Marcia Hohn has graciously said we can use blocks from The Quilter's Cache again this year. Please read her Terms and Conditions at: http://www.quilterscache.com/. And follow the below guideline. "Should photographs of items made from Original designs be posted on your group website, they should also be clearly marked with the name of the pattern As I have it named, and that it is from The Quilter's Cache/Marcia Hohn." (Since you'll post your pictures in this thread, you will be covered by that statement.)
I also sent a letter to Marcia Hohn, I'll let everyone know if she answers me. Smile
IT'S HERE IT'S HERE, the long wait is over and the new Block for Jan. 2014 is...........

http://www.quilterscache.com/T...tJackBuiltBlock.html

The House That Jack Built

Here is Sister Sues' block

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BOM Sisters,

Posts: 121 | Registered: Dec 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Ah, nice easy block to start the year with.

Have done r/w/b for the last few years giving me something for the Vets home in January. Trying to decide if I want to do different colors this year... Smile probably not.

Waiting to see how this develops.

Posts: 8096 | Location: Northeast | Registered: Nov 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BOM Sisters
posted Hide Post
Now don't get excited about the templates, You can do it. I had to use the templates---Twice Smile Make sure the Template pattern is scaled correctly at one inch (measure that little square) otherwise you will need to add a border to your block. AMHIK. Smile Smile
When scaled and measured properly the block is beautiful and easy.
Here is what happens when you don't measure that 1 inch square......

Picture of BOM Sisters
posted Hide Post
Now here is the block properly sized.
I did measure out the pieces individually, but they came up in 16th inch measures and that is too hard for me. Smile
Sue did her block with the ruler. Square cut at 5 inches, 2x5 inch rectangles and the triangles a 7 1/4 and the smaller one 3 7/8 squares. But give the templates a try.
Any other questions, just ask.

Picture of Catwmn27
posted Hide Post
I have never tried a BOM before but I think this is my year to do different things. I really like this block and am going shopping today.

Posts: 186 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad to have you join us. It should be a fun year. Sister Sue

Posts: 1579 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello sisters!!! Thank you so much for stepping up to host us all! Very appreciated.
So, I just want to say...LOVE the first block! Simple but very elegant and possibly more to my piecing abilities!! I will try to do whatever you throw at us but for now I am happy to begin with a simple block.Smile

Posts: 3478 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
Next month I won't add so much "music" to the title of the thread. I got carried away a little when I added them this morning. It was a new thing to learn and it was fun. Thank our last years fearless leaders for that. LOL
Looking forward to seeing what everyone does with this block. It is a good day to sew in Wisconsin, Snowing, blowing and cold out.

Posts: 8097 | Location: Kenosha Wi USA | Registered: Sep 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chlynn1129
posted Hide Post
Thanks Pattyj and sue! I have not worked with templates before, so this will be a new learning experience for me.

I most likely will do the RWB theme too as I make a lot of quilts for military charities. A new homeless veterans home just opened up in my city so I will probably make a quilt for it. They take any color of quilt but I think RWB is just perfect for them. A neighboring town has a home for female veterans...hum....perhaps I could make a pink or purple for it! Smile

Posts: 2042 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: Dec 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MountainLaurel
posted Hide Post
Nice choice Sisters! Thanks for doing this.

Carolyn

http://harrisburgcof2013.shutterfly.com/pictures

Our lives are like quilts - bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love.

Posts: 2315 | Location: somewhere in my fabric stash | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Handie Ann
posted Hide Post
I have it printed out now to cut it out and sew it together. This is the fabric that I will be using for this BOM.

Handie Ann

Posts: 3545 | Location: Des Moines, Wa. USA | Registered: Jan 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Handie Ann
posted Hide Post
Now if you are thinking OMG their is a method to my madness. It will be more clearer as time go on.

Handie Ann

Posts: 3545 | Location: Des Moines, Wa. USA | Registered: Jan 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Handie Ann... luscious fabrics. That's going to be a bright quilt.

(corrected spelling)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Elainetoo,

Posts: 8096 | Location: Northeast | Registered: Nov 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Handie Ann- Love all the bright fabric. I will be using all Laurel Burch fabric for all my blocks. Let's get sewing. Sue

Posts: 1579 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chlynn1129
posted Hide Post
HandieAnn, love your fabrics! What vibrant colors!

I am going with my old RWB for the military.

The templates were easy to use and they sewed together beautifully!

Posts: 2042 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: Dec 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BOM Sisters
posted Hide Post
Very pretty block Chlyn, Looks like you were able to make it correctly..
Handie, looks like this is going to be the year for bright/happy fabric. I'm loving your palette.

Picture of RN55
posted Hide Post
Thank you for doing this loved it last year. Wow a relatively easy block to start. Nap then sew! Happy new year everyone!

Posts: 435 | Location: Portville, NY | Registered: Apr 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crazy'boutquilts
posted Hide Post
Very cool block ladies! Smile

Love the red/white Chlynn!

Now to decide what colors to use.... Wink

Posts: 10513 | Location: Washington! :-) | Registered: Sep 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BOM Sisters
posted Hide Post
Chlynn- nice use of the red color combination. glad the templates worked out so well. Great job. Sue

Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
To the top hopefully Vivian (Solution Services) can find this. Welcome aboard to anyone who wants to join us.
Pat

Posts: 8097 | Location: Kenosha Wi USA | Registered: Sep 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Marion2
posted Hide Post
Question: So, is this going to end up doing 12 blocks of the same thing? I'm still scared of piecing.

Posts: 5689 | Location: OK | Registered: Jun 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Marion- It will be 12 different blocks. A new block each month. You can make it into a quilt at the end of 12 months or use each block as you desire. This is not difficult and should be lots of fun. Hope you try it. Hope this helps. Sister Sue

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sister sue,

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Guess I'll be doing a patriotic and maybe another one this year.

Picture of CQwannabe
posted Hide Post
Great blocks ladies!!! I printed the templates out and I have selected my fabric.

Posts: 2714 | Location: Libertyville IL | Registered: May 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BOM Sisters
posted Hide Post
Nice to see some finished blocks. Elaine,Your block is very patriotic. Marion, come and join us. If you make a mistake with your piecing you aren't wasting lots of fabrics, just the little bit to make one block. The only way to get good/comfortable with a technique is to try it. The more piecing you do the better you will get. The most important thing to remember with any template is sizing of the template. There is usually a 1 inch square that you measure to check that your printer printed it in the right size. I thought I could just figure my printer knew what it was doing and started sewing. Nope it was off and my block was too small. LOL Now I have a cute block to use for a tote pocket.

posted Hide Post
Thank you for our first block...definitely my style and I love it! Can hardly wait to see what you have up your sleeves for next month!

Posts: 3478 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cool blocks so far... haven't decided what colors to do mine in yet... feel so far behind having just got back home from a 9 day trip to my grandparents. After laundry, grocery shopping, and more Christmas with immediate family, I will get back to sewing.

Posts: 1956 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Aug 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BOM Sisters
posted Hide Post
Sometimes I have a hard time remembering to sign in under BOM Sisters and just post under my own name. LOL Elaine, what a beautiful Patriotic block it is. It should work into a great quilt when all 12 blocks are completed.
Alex- love what you did with your block- good contrast with color. Keep them coming Sister Sue

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BOM Sisters,

posted Hide Post
Great blocks so far ladies! The RWBs are especially awesome for the military.

Picture of quiltbea
posted Hide Post
I hope I can get my mojo back so I can make this BOM. Nice block to start.

Posts: 13291 | Location: Southwestern Maine Zone 5 U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Here's block #2. I don't know where the finished quilt is going to go.. have so many scraps and odds and ends that I need to start using them up. May end with just a bunch of mis-matched blocks. We'll see. Smile

Picture of MountainLaurel
posted Hide Post
Nice blocks ladies!

In trying to figure out which way to go for this BOM, I realized that I didn't have a patriotic quilt. So, here is my first block. It is kind of busy but I think it will be ok.

Carolyn

http://harrisburgcof2013.shutterfly.com/pictures

Our lives are like quilts - bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love.

Posts: 2315 | Location: somewhere in my fabric stash | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BOM Sisters
posted Hide Post
Elaine- love your second block. Are you making two quilts this year??
Carolyn- glad you were able to join. Your Patriotic block looks good to me. The white off sets the busy inside. Sue

Picture of PatriciaAnne
posted Hide Post
Loving all the blocks so far! I was just asked by SavedSinner what my scheme would be this year and I remembered I have a LOT of stained glass look. So I plan to do that with bright colors and black background.

Posts: 525 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Oct 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
I think this is the year for lots of color.Smile
Mine is going to be bright. I want a "happy" quilt"

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BOM Sisters:
Elaine- love your second block. Are you making two quilts this year??
........Sue

Yes, going to make 2 blocks a month. Then depending on a lot of things - can make 2 quilts or 4 with chain blocks. We'll see.

Picture of Chlynn1129
posted Hide Post
alexemmarose, I like your fabric choices!

Quiltbea, I hope you will join us; one block is all you have to do and perhaps it will help you to get your mojo back! Smile

posted Hide Post
Chlynn, thank you. I have been trying to use up stash a bit the last couple of years and I have yards and yards (we are talkin' 6-7 yards here!) of the "old yellow". I do love that color and was planning to do more of a yellow/white/grey/small amount of black quilt with it and once I came across this fun blue print in my stash my plan changed! Don't know yet if the yellow will only be background throughout the quilt or if it will be more mix and match with these other fabbies and off white too? Will just have to see what the next block presented looks like.

Some of you gals are doing two quilts at a time...at first I couldn't imagine doing that but I can kind of see now...once you do a block one time, the next time should be easier and might as well get two quilts for the price of one! I may just have to see what I have for R/W/Bs also...

Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
Good ideas ladies. Using what you already have. That is what I'm doing. I have lots of brights that I have been buying and this is what I'm going to use it on.

posted Hide Post
Elaine- looking forward to seeing how each of your quilts work out. Thanks for sharing your pics. Sue

Picture of Shirlwin
posted Hide Post
My effort for the first blockSmile I am using colours outside my safety zone and am enjoying it.

Posts: 391 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: Apr 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
Shirlyn, that is what BOM does, takes us out of comfort zone. Just maybe you will find that you like it. Now if I could just learn to get scrappy I'd be set. LOL Nice looking block, those flowers are pretty.
Pat

posted Hide Post
Shirlwin, your block is lovely!

Picture of BOM Sisters
posted Hide Post
Shirlwin- love the color combination you used. We have some beautiful blocks for the start of the year. Way to sew ladies. Sue

Picture of Handie Ann
posted Hide Post
OK Ladies, this is the house that Jack built But.....

Handie Ann

Picture of Handie Ann
posted Hide Post
This is the house that Jacks wife wanted built.
Now are you glad that you are not Jack?
I see that I need to redo the her house.

Handie Ann

Picture of Shirlwin
posted Hide Post
Handie Ann ... I love the house that Jack builtSmile Gorgeous colour-way!

Posts: 391 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: Apr 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
the blocks so far are great!

axel... LOVE that color scheme! I think you have helped me figure out my snowmen colors! Smile

www.pigtalesandquilts.com
www.crazyquiltingsupplies.com

Crazy Quilting is addictive so we just have to STITCH IT OUT LOUD!

Posts: 25836 | Location: USA | Registered: Oct 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Handi...love your colors and fabric patterns in Jack's house! Waiting to see Jack's wife's new house!

ooh...Miss Q...should be interesting snowmen in your snowmen quilt! Will be watching...

Picture of shequilts
posted Hide Post
Here is my block for this month. Thanks for choosing a nice easy block for the first.

Sew, sew, and sew some more that's my motto!

Posts: 732 | Location: Eaton, OH  | Registered: Apr 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post