Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Country Fair mugrug swap
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Country Fair mugrug swap Sign In/Join 
Picture of mandylifeboats
posted
i am hosting a new mugrug swap. what is a mugrug? a mugrug is bigger than a coaster, much smaller than a placemat, big enough for a cup and a treat. here are some links to get u started. lots of tutorials if u scroll on down. mine usually measure 6 x 9", give or take.

Come join the fun! beginner quilters welcome!

www.twomoreseconds.com/p/mug-rug-madness.html
http://pinterest.com/wandans/mug-rugs-luv-em/

here are the details:

THEME: ~ Country Fair ~ think about farm animals and vegetables, canning, pies, rides, food, etc.

MAIL BY: august 31
HOW MANY WILL YOU MAKE: One. I will pair you with a partner.

*If you have not participated in one of my mugrug swaps, please private message me with your mailing address.

Country Fair Mugrug Swap Partners

motqultr will swap with Aliquilt
rozhearts will swap with mandylifeboats
pegsami will swap with califshrimp
EvelynB will swap with califgal
JLu will swap with catwmn27
SueB willl swap with PatV82
City/Sandie will swap with elsie123
jbeanier will swap with STinMT

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mandylifeboats,

Posts: 5048 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: May 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elsie123
posted Hide Post
Is it a short turn-around time, or maybe a typo on the mail-by date?

Posts: 1423 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sue B
posted Hide Post
I'm in and I hope the dates are a typo

SUE B

The smallest Cross in the corner is the one you put in the room.

I hope all our daily ups and downs are with needle and thread.

COF 2007 http://www2.snapfish.com/snapf...BRAND_NAME=snapfish/

Posts: 1507 | Location: North of the Gulf of Mexico | Registered: Apr 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
oops, fixed it!

Posts: 5048 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: May 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PatV82
posted Hide Post
Sent you a private message. I'll join in on this one. I won 1st prize at our county fair when I was 12 for Pecan Pie. Guess I will have to share that recipe, which I still use regularly.

www.pinterest.com/patv82

personallybypat.tumblr.com

Posts: 489 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: Jan 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
... I'm in again ... I love these things and hae them all over my house and in my sewing bag so i can show off and MARK my area with one Smile
thinking cap is on ..

I cannot change 'things', but I can change how I feel about them. Me.

Wounded Warrior Project
www.woundedwarriorproject.org

Posts: 9134 | Location: Inland Empire, CA | Registered: Mar 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elsie123
posted Hide Post
Add my name to the list please. And Patv82, I was a winner too with my chocolate vinegar cake!

Posts: 1423 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How bout including the recipe for your blue ribbon winner?

posted Hide Post
ttt

posted Hide Post
I'd like to play again. I have an idea, just need to sketch out and figure out how to put it into fabric!

Posts: 838 | Registered: Jun 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motqltr
posted Hide Post
I love these, here's my dilemma...I had shoulder surgery and can't sew until October. If it's OK with Mandi and the swap partner to wait.
I have some perfect fabs for this and will try to make one that isn't queen sized Smile

http://flickr.com/photos/motqltr
~Don't assume people have a plan; they might be waiting for you to tell them the plan!~

Posts: 3643 | Location: southeast, Washington, USA | Registered: May 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
motqltr, I was just thinking about you, hope surgery went well. I for one wouldn't mind waiting, a couple of mine were late Frown and I am not going to do that again. But, they are worth the wait, in my opinion!

Posts: 838 | Registered: Jun 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbeanier
posted Hide Post
I would like to participate in this one. I was sad I missed the "garden" swap...

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say "I've used everything You gave me."---erma bombeck

Posts: 36 | Location: SE Minnesota | Registered: Jan 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sign me up for this one, should be fun.

Posts: 542 | Location: Great Falls, MT | Registered: Apr 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motqltr
posted Hide Post
Ali, surgery went good. Thanks for asking. They took stitches out after 10 days, evidently my shoulder/collar bone was also not right, so they brought it up and sewed it. I'm still not fully coherent. I poked around on the boards yesterday and then zonked out in the afternoon.
I'm supposed to go back to work August 1st, don't think I can go full-time. I have the sling until the end of Aug, then phys therapy. I'm unsure if I can sew at that mark or will have to wait longer.

~Don't assume people have a plan; they might be waiting for you to tell them the plan!~

Posts: 3643 | Location: southeast, Washington, USA | Registered: May 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
motqltr, do u want to skip this month?

Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
I really had a hard time deciding what to make for the last mugrug. But inspiration struck while touring the University Museum gardens and I got it made quickly and mailed. Now I'm ready to try this challenge. I love when a challenge is tiny and love getting something in the mail. So please sign me up. I think I've got my idea but will let it brew a while to be sure it's what I really want to make. Thank you so much for hosting these and coming up with such great ideas! I LOVE my newest mugrug that I got yesterday!
Evelyn

Posts: 7494 | Registered: Mar 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pegsami
posted Hide Post
August is going to be a busy month for me, but these swaps are too much fun to pass up---please sign me up !!

Variety & Contrast means BUY EVERYTHING

Posts: 1047 | Location: oregon | Registered: Jun 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of califshrimp
posted Hide Post
We have small county fairs here.
They are so much fun.
Little town living where people meet and greet you with smiles, waves and handshakes. Favorite food....Corndogs with lots of mustard!
I'm in for this one please.
Wave

This message has been edited. Last edited by: califshrimp,

I want to be the kind of woman that when my feet hit the floor each morning the devil says: "Oh NO! She's UP!"

Posts: 1758 | Registered: Apr 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of califgal
posted Hide Post
sign me up too Sue Smile

Patsy

Posts: 3535 | Registered: Sep 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rozhearts
posted Hide Post
Am I too late to sign in for this swap. I have had a bit of illness over the past week and have not been looking in. If not I look forward to the next swap.

(((HUGS))) Roz.

Posts: 65 | Location: New South Wales Australia | Registered: Apr 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motqltr
posted Hide Post
Mandy, since Aliquilts is OK w/ swapping late, I would like to be included. Sorry, I just saw your message. I'm still sleeping a lot.
Thanks.

posted Hide Post
check your private messages, addresses have gone out. I want to see pics. If you received a blue ribbon for something food related, include the recipe if you have it! or for fun, include a recipe with your mugrug.

Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
Hurray! I just finished mine. Going to get this one out EARLY! Thanks for posting so fast.
Evelyn

This message has been edited. Last edited by: EvelynB,

Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
Finished a quilt for my DD so went to the post office. Got both mailed out this morning. Yeah!

Picture of califgal
posted Hide Post
Evelyn got my beautiful mugrug and I think potscrubber? no sure but they are so cute. and she also send me a cute story about her daddy's hot pepper jelly and her momma's strawberry jam.

patsy

Picture of califgal
posted Hide Post
and momma's strawberry jam on the other side.

Picture of califgal
posted Hide Post
and the cute flower and watermelon potscrubbers, at least I think that's what they are. love em. Smile

Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
That was fast! Those are either potscrubbers or body scrubbers. The interior is tulle and exterior is cotton yarn. I have one in my shower and one in my kitchen sink.

Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
What a darling mug rug & stories to go along with it. I didn't join this swap but am looking forward to seeing all the pictures of them.

Nicki

Posts: 8357 | Location: Texas / Zone 9 | Registered: Sep 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of califgal
posted Hide Post
well i'm gonna use the flower for the shower and the watermelon in my kitchen. thank you again

patsy

Picture of califshrimp
posted Hide Post
WOW! You Ladies are fast!
I haven't even opened my books yet.

I want to be the kind of woman that when my feet hit the floor each morning the devil says: "Oh NO! She's UP!"

Picture of elsie123
posted Hide Post
City Sandie, I dropped yours off at the post office a few minutes ago. He thinks you might have it Monday. Enjoy!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: elsie123,

Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
..wow .. you are on top of this thing .. I'm still thinking!

Wounded Warrior Project

Posts: 9134 | Location: Inland Empire, CA | Registered: Mar 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elsie123
posted Hide Post
My original idea didn't come together. This one is pretty simple, but I'm hoping you'll like it. And I included the recipe for my prize winning cake!

Picture of califshrimp
posted Hide Post
Pegsami: What colors do you like?
Wave

Picture of califshrimp
posted Hide Post
TTT Wave

Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
...Found a big white envelope at my conmputer today when Igot home from my charity quilting group .. and I have the neatest new mugrug .. Ilove it .. but the thing that makes it especial is the letter included..Elsie123 KNOWS county fairs, has a history with them, and here in Southern California no less... AND she included her BLUE RIBBON Chocolate Vinegar Depression Cake receipe. I will have to give it a try.. Thank you so much. I should be able to post a pic tomorrow ... I can't get a good one at night (I'm sure it's operator ignorance)
Again, Thank You so much ...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: City/Sandie,

Wounded Warrior Project

Picture of motqltr
posted Hide Post
I know what I'm going to do, I think. I keep changing my mind, but can't play with fabric until the end of August at the earliest.
I found the neatest western/fair fabrics at Hobby Lobby.

Picture of motqltr
posted Hide Post
PS Can you share the Chocolate vinegar depression cake recipe? I've made vinegar pie before and I really like that.

Picture of elsie123
posted Hide Post
Motqltr, here's the recipe for the chocolate vinegar cake. From what I understand, it’s also known as a depression cake. Whether because the original instructions call for making three depressions in the dry ingredients to add the wet ingredients, or because it didn’t use eggs and is inexpensive to make, your guess is as good as mine. This recipe actually makes a small cake, maybe one layer or an 8x8x2” square pan. It’s moist too. (Now I just mix in a bowl and put in cake pan, but this was the original version)

Chocolate Vinegar Cake
Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Sift dry ingredients into ungreased 8x8x2” pan
1 ½ cup flour
1 cup sugar
3 Tbsp cocoa
½ tsp salt

Make 3 depressions with spoon in dry ingredients, and add these:
1 tsp vanilla 1 Tbsp white vinegar 6 Tbsp melted butter

Pour 1 cup water over all, stir together until well mixed.

Bake 30-35 minutes

Note: batter will be thin

Don't be put off about having vinegar in it. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: elsie123,

Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
Elsie 123 ... request for your receipe is on this thread ....

Wounded Warrior Project

Picture of elsie123
posted Hide Post
Got it Sandie, thanks!

Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
..here is my mugrug from Elsie123 ... i am so blest to get heres as Imentioned before - shehas a history with County fairs - and sent a wonderful and fun letter talking about it ..many thanns Elsie123

Wounded Warrior Project

posted Hide Post
wow, that is a fabulous mugrug!

Picture of califgal
posted Hide Post
Evelyn yours went out in the mail today so u should be getting it in a couple of days. I forgot to take a picture of it Frown me bad. hope you like it

patsy

Picture of califshrimp
posted Hide Post
ttt

Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
Patsy,
I got my mugrug and live it. The fabric is precious! Cute way to applique too. I'll photograph it later. I've cleaned out two bedrooms and am painting. It's hard to believe I could hure so much fabric! Everything is turned upside down!

Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
...Elsie123, yours is in teh envelope and addressed, taking it to PO tomorrow ... soyou shouldhave yours before long ...

Wounded Warrior Project

Picture of califgal
posted Hide Post
glad u like it Evelyn, and my sewing room is always upside down and a big ole mess. I think this week i'm gonna try straighten it up.

patsy