Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Redwork with a Twist Round 2 - Snowflakes
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Redwork with a Twist Round 2 - Snowflakes Sign In/Join 
Picture of headielamar
posted
This thread is to sign up for the Redwork with a Twist Round 2 - Snowflakes Swap.

Details:

Block Size - 8 1/2" unfinished
Background color - your choice blue tone on tone
Motif - Snowflakes
Floss Color - White
Blocks Due - June 1, 2014

Stitchers choose their background color, so long as it reads blue tone on tone and is a good quality cotton fabric. You can use the same background for each block or switch it up and use a different color blue for each block. You pick the snowflake design you want to use. It can be one large one, a couple medium size ones, several little ones, a combination of sizes, it's up to you! Just make sure you use white embroidery floss.

My intention is that everyone will stitch no more than 8 blocks. If we get only 6 people to sign up, we will each do 6. If we get 12 people to sign up, I will break it up into two groups of 6, etc. etc.

To sign up, please pm me the following:

Board Name
Real Name
Address
Phone number

I will send you back my info. When you send in your blocks you will also need to send a stamped self addressed envelope in order to get blocks back. If you want delivery confirmation for the return, please add enough stamps to cover it and let me know.

You should know, I don't have a lot of rules for the swaps I run and would love to see stitchers of all levels. Also, if you live in a house with a smoker or pets, please be considerate of your fellow swappers and remove any smoke smell or pet fur before sending in your blocks. I live in a smoke free home, but I do have two fur babies who love to shed!!

Last time I hosted the heart redwork swap, I asked that we not share pictures along the way. I know people love to see what each other are working on, so this time, share away.

I think that's it...any questions, let me know.

So who wants to play????

Stitchers:

Headielamar - Rec'd
kmouse
bjeannes - Rec'd
KaylaQuilts - Rec'd
gemsq - Rec'd
Cr8tve1 - Rec'd
DJ Brown
bills wife - Rec'd
Shawkl - Rec'd
Sue Stitches - Rec'd

This message has been edited. Last edited by: headielamar,

Posts: 2909 | Location: Cuddled up in my pretty purple house! | Registered: Jul 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bjeannes
posted Hide Post
I have sent the info to you. Now to start looking for snowflakes.

Do you want us to use the stranded floss (how many strands?) or is it ok to use a finer pearl cotton?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Posts: 1806 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: Feb 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of headielamar
posted Hide Post
Got info for kmouse, bjeannes and KaylaQuilts. You can use either standard floss or pearl cotton, it's up to you.

To answer another question that came up on the PM - you don't have to do the same design on every block. You can do them all different or half one way and half another, any combination you like.

Posts: 2909 | Location: Cuddled up in my pretty purple house! | Registered: Jul 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cr8tve1
posted Hide Post
I would like to do this, I loved my hearts. I will send you a PM.

Posts: 3317 | Location: Virginia Beach, VA USA | Registered: Apr 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of headielamar
posted Hide Post
Got the info for gemsq and Cr8tve1. We are up to 6 already. Can we get 2 more?

Picture of headielamar
posted Hide Post
DJ Brown has decided to join us so we are up to 7 players so far. Who else would like to join in?

Picture of gemsq
posted Hide Post
This swap is so flexible; I'm reviewing ideas for snowflakes designs. The prior swap with hearts, on another thread, shows examples of how designs can be simple or more detailed. Since snow is covering much of the country, now may be the time to include designs while inside. Want to join the group? It's fun.

Posts: 756 | Location: illinois | Registered: Sep 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of headielamar
posted Hide Post
Those of you who have signed up already can get started anytime. Like gemsq, I have been looking for designs. Haven't settled on anything yet.

Picture of bills wife
posted Hide Post
I would like to sign up for this swap.
Headielamar please pm me. I forgot how.

Posts: 1024 | Location: new York | Registered: Jul 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of headielamar
posted Hide Post
Bill's Wife - I have been helping my son paint his new place all day so just turned on the computer. I have sent you a pm.

Picture of bills wife
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I just sent my info. Glad to join.

Posts: 1024 | Location: new York | Registered: Jul 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of headielamar
posted Hide Post
We are up to 8 stitchers! If we get more I will break it into two groups.

Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
Well...guess you'll be breaking it up...cause count me in!

Sending a pm now.

Hugs,

Posts: 4644 | Location: Alabama | Registered: Nov 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of headielamar
posted Hide Post
Great to have you Kathy. Who else wants to play with us?

Picture of headielamar
posted Hide Post
TTT

Picture of gemsq
posted Hide Post
I found some nice snowflake designs that are do-able for me. I realize there are few "rules" which is great; but just to check, is pearle cotton OK, or, stick to the traditional embroidery floss? Either is fine.

Posts: 756 | Location: illinois | Registered: Sep 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of headielamar
posted Hide Post
The choice is yours. Pearle cotton or regular embroidery floss.

Picture of headielamar
posted Hide Post

Picture of tisme
posted Hide Post
Thinking here, will decide by Friday.

Posts: 4637 | Location: It is truly summer!! | Registered: Dec 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of headielamar
posted Hide Post
Would love to have you!

Picture of headielamar
posted Hide Post
Just got home from Fabric Depot where I picked up some pretty blue tone on tone fabrics for this swap.

Picture of bills wife
posted Hide Post
I have found my snowflake pattern. Still looking for some nice blue fabric.

Picture of headielamar
posted Hide Post
TTT

Picture of headielamar
posted Hide Post
sign ups end tomorrow - it would be great if we could get three more to join us.

Picture of Sue Stitches
posted Hide Post
Twist my arm why don't you! Just in case I have been looking for some cool tone on tone blue. Didn't see it, didn't see it and then found some. Will send a PM!

Posts: 1130 | Location: Northern California  | Registered: Jan 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of headielamar
posted Hide Post
Happy to have you Sue! Got your info.

Picture of headielamar
posted Hide Post
I will close this swap after dinner tonight. Any more players?

Picture of headielamar
posted Hide Post
This swap is now closed. We have ten players, so I will break it up into two groups as follows:

Group 1

bjeannes
Kayla Quilts
Bills Wife
Headielamar

Group 2

gemsq
Cr8tve1
Shawkl
Sue Stitches

Because we have two groups, you only need to make five blocks. Can't wait to see what beautiful snowflakes you come up with.

Picture of bills wife
posted Hide Post
Bought some pretty blue ton on tone yesterday. Ready to get started.

Picture of headielamar
posted Hide Post
Lets keep this thread going for discussions/pictures/updates for the swap. Has anyone started stitching yet?

Picture of Sue Stitches
posted Hide Post
I'm waiting for my fabric and looking for some ideas for the embroidery.

Posts: 1130 | Location: Northern California  | Registered: Jan 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cr8tve1
posted Hide Post
I got my fabric at the quilt show and am waiting for more of the washable solvy to arrive so I can print my snowflake design in order to start stitching.

Posts: 3317 | Location: Virginia Beach, VA USA | Registered: Apr 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KaylaQuilts
posted Hide Post
I have all my designs transferred to my fabric and one block completed

Kayla

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream"
-Edgar Allan Poe-

Posts: 766 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: Jan 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DJBrown
posted Hide Post
Help!!!! OK I bought some Pellon wash-n-gone and I don't know how to use it. ugh!!

Do I iron it on? Hot iron or Med high iron? I don't see a shiny side so how do I know what side goes to the fabric? The only instructions on the paper that came with it tells me how to wash it away. But I have to get it attached first. I know I missing something simple.

Thanks for any help you can give me. Deb

Posts: 987 | Registered: Mar 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of headielamar
posted Hide Post
I won't be any help to you as I have never used the Pellon wash-n-gone. Are you using it to make a thicker surface for the stitching? If so, all I have ever done is use two layers of the fabric.

Picture of DJBrown
posted Hide Post
I wanted to use it so I could trace on the pellon instead if the dark blue fabric. It would just mak e tracing easier.

Picture of Cr8tve1
posted Hide Post
I am thinking it's not a iron on, I think you have to pin or baste it. I got a solvy one the first time that was sticky on the back and had paper. It was perfect. I ordered another kind on a large roll that says it's washable but not paper to put in printer so I had to tape each piece to regular paper so my printer wouldn't eat it. It also has no sticky so it will have to be pinned or basted to my block while stitching. I tested a piece to see how well it dissolves and had no problem with it.

Maybe someone else has a different experience with it.

Picture of DJBrown
posted Hide Post
Baste it! You mean I have to work at this! Big Grin

I would have never thought of that, but yes back in my high school days we DID baste thing Smile. Thanks, that seems so obvious. Deb

Picture of Sue Stitches
posted Hide Post
Aargh! Fabric took too long to get here. The tracking said Tues, then Wed., then finally arrived today and the color is teal - not the dark blue I wanted. I may have to hunt some more.

Picture of kmouse
posted Hide Post
Hah Sue !
I wonder if we ordered the same fabric
I got mine and it is way toooo light !
Ordered more and keeping my fingers crossed !!

"It is not our Abilities that show what we truly are but our choices."

"Live Well , Laugh Often , Love Much "

Posts: 1145 | Location: Beautiful Pacific NW | Registered: Dec 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kmouse
posted Hide Post
Hey just wanted to add Connecting Threads has Sulky Solvy On Sale!!!!!

https://www.connectingthreads....m?ID=82077&ac=1&ac=1

Posts: 1145 | Location: Beautiful Pacific NW | Registered: Dec 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of headielamar
posted Hide Post
Sorry some of you are having trouble getting the right color. That is the one down side to buying fabric on line. I live within walking distance of Fabric Depot, which can have it's own down sides! LOL

I spent yesterday hauling stuff to the dump and preparing two rooms in my house for work to be done. Having a bathtub to shower conversion done and my brother and nephew or doing some work on the converted garage. I am so tired today, don't know if I will get much accomplished.

Picture of kmouse
posted Hide Post
WooWhoo
Finally got my fabric and I think one of them will work great !! Now I'm just waiting on my Solvy . ....

Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
Got my first fabric in, and it was not a tone-on-tone blue...but solid. So, ordered again, and it has finally arrived. I like it it reminds me of a sky print...but, it's not dark or navy...so I guess my blocks will have daytime snow!

Now, off to design something wonderful to stitch!

Posts: 4644 | Location: Alabama | Registered: Nov 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bills wife
posted Hide Post
I made a practice block yesterday. It's ok but I am looking for a better way to transfer pattern to fabric. How do you girls do it.

Picture of headielamar
posted Hide Post
I have my blocks cut out, just need to come up with my design.

Bill's wife - I have a light box that I use when transferring embroidery designs to fabric. I trace the design in the color I am going to embroider it in.

Picture of gemsq
posted Hide Post
Just checking in; and thinking of this project. Won't be able to start stitching til April, as vacation calls to me. The real snowflakes will soon be memories.

Picture of bjeannes
posted Hide Post
Sometimes I will trace all the patterns onto tissue paper - thank you Shawkl for the idea Wink which I then baste to the fabric and stitch through, removing when done. Especially on the darker fabrics which are sometimes hard to trace onto, even with a light box......

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Posts: 1806 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: Feb 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bills wife
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your help. I am using a darker fabric so having a time tracing. Will try the tissue paper. Fingers crossed.

Picture of kmouse
posted Hide Post
YAY ! I got my thread in , got my designs and my Fabric !!!! WOO WHOO !!

I use solvy washaway - I just bought a lot on sale so if anyone wants some sheets - just let me know...