Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Handwork to pass the time during a test?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Handwork to pass the time during a test? Sign In/Join 
Picture of StarrySky
posted
I've got a medical test coming up next week. I'll be awake & probably sitting still for 3 hours. I'm already thinking of how to pass the time. Sure wish I had a quilt finished & ready to bind, but that's not going to happen between now & then. I have the Clover yo-yo maker, but I don't really need yo-yo's for any project right now. I've never ventured into Hexie Land. Is that too repetitive, and what can you do with the ones you make in a few hours?

I don't know what else to take along. My X-stitching days are probably behind me, I don't knit or crochet, and my needle tatting is really rusty. Think they'll mind if I wheeled my machine in with me? Ha.

I bought a new quilt magazine today. Maybe I should just read some old ones, too. But that always makes me wish I had brought something along to do with my hands...

Ideas? What do you do while passing time when away from your machine?

Posts: 5446 | Location: About 28,000 Light Years From Galactic Center | Registered: Jul 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KaylaQuilts
posted Hide Post
English Paper Piecing is so easy and portable I take it with me everywhere. You don't have to stick to Hexies you can do Dresden plates in 3 hour you could make several plates. If you don't have time to order the papers from Paper Pieces you can find patterns on the Web and cut out of any light weight cardboard you have around the house

Kayla

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream"
-Edgar Allan Poe-

Posts: 704 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: Jan 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shey..
posted Hide Post
i kinda doubt your cross stitching days are behind you.. lol.. but.. if you don't think you can do that.. there's always red-work.. it's not as precise and you can get something off the internet.. trace it on muslin and probably get something if it's not huge... pretty much done in 3 hours.. which you can then use in a pillow.. or in a wall-hanging.. mug-rug.. all kinds of things.. good luck with your test and with finding something to keep you busy.. even if you do decide on a "project".. you should prob bring a book to read as well.. you'll prob get tired/bored with what ever you bring to do..

shey..

my blog.. http://sheysstitchinmagic.blogspot.com/
http://twistedstitchers-quiltingnewbie.blogspot.com/

"it's not the human walk.. it's the human race, if you ain't livin on the edge .. you're takin to much space..." Nickelback.. Dark Horse.. This Afternoon..

Posts: 3459 | Location: FL | Registered: Jun 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
I'm not big on hand quilting but it's fun to do big stitching on placemats and mugrugs. You could do birthing method and novelty fabrics. You could get several gifts made passing the time. Christmas stockings and ornaments are fast and easy. Green fabric yoyos with a couple of beads give you quick wreaths for ornaments, broaches, or tack on gift card.

Posts: 7035 | Registered: Mar 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
Take a notebook and pen to write down ideas (they seem to show up at the oddest times!)...who knows...maybe the floor in the room is actually pretty and would be great to sketch for a quilt! T's and P's for the test. Hope you get an A!!!!

"It's bad to supress laughter. It goes back down and spreads to your hips."

Posts: 8433 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bozie
posted Hide Post
For only three hours I'd read a book. Requires just one thing - the book - and offers diversion..........

Martha

Posts: 6998 | Location: Montana | Registered: Mar 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm with Bozie, I take my kindle everywhere.

Posts: 2940 | Registered: Jul 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
Still not sure what I'm going to do. I'm in the middle of a book so boring that I use it to fall asleep! I think I need to ditch it.

Redwork...hmmmm...I might even have some patterns I printed around here. That's a possibility!

I don't know how "social" they'll have me -- in a space to myself or where other people will be around. I don't think I've ever seen a TV in that office, or if there is one, it's probably playing some useless taped health info, the way my dentist runs one long infomercial about the services he renders. Yuck

Posts: 5446 | Location: About 28,000 Light Years From Galactic Center | Registered: Jul 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Annon
posted Hide Post
Good luck with your test, Starry. Where I have my appointments I'm stuck watching the military channel! Treat yourself to a new quilty novel, or a beachy read. I don't like to take my needlework to a hospital because I think it's germy.

Do you have a Kindle fire or I phone? If so, the game CUBISTRY is a great time waster!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Annon,

Posts: 3545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltinana2
posted Hide Post
How about some applique? Sunbonnet Sue has large pieces and you could use one block in a sampler quilt.

I take my Kindle with me everywhere and play Suduko and Mah Jhong solitaire. Annon's right. It's a great time waster!

Posts: 377 | Location: Middle of the Mitten | Registered: Apr 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Missmommy
posted Hide Post
Sashiko is perfect for me.

Posts: 3288 | Location: NY | Registered: Aug 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paus4quilts
posted Hide Post
Last time I had to wait that long for a test, I took along a tote filled with my scraps with a couple of plastic bags and sorted them while I was waiting. I didn't get to sort for very long; another lady asked if I was a quilter. And you know how that goes.

Another time I took along a project that needed unsewing. Had a small zip lock with me for the taken out threads and made like a frog while I waited.

If you have a stack of magazines you've been meaning to go through to see if you need to keep the whole thing, take those with you and do a little organizing.

Got patterns laying around that you'd like to organize in a binder; great time to do that, too.

Pay bills, sort your mail, balance your checkbook, read flyers you've been keeping...things you never seem to find the time for at home. Got catalogs to look through? How 'bout recipes that need organizing?

Good luck with the test.

Posts: 5917 | Registered: Aug 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the two hour prep before a PET scan I start off reading in a comfortable overstuffed leather chair. With the comfy chair and the subdued lights I am off to dreamland before an hour has passed. They will probably have a bunch of magazines to look at if you don't want to bring anything. They do encourage you to be relaxed and still.

Posts: 625 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: Apr 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have any great ideas, but did want to write that I hope all goes well for you and the test!
Susan

Posts: 706 | Location: West Central Ohio, USA | Registered: Dec 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too want to wish you good luck with your tests. I was going to suggest applique also.

When my Dad was very ill and hospitalized, I knitted dishcloths. Some were pretty sorry looking due to tension. It didn't matter on those. Just the knit only that you increase stitches at the beginning of rows to 40+ stitches, then start decreasing stictes at beginning of each row. Start out knit 4 and end with knit 4. There is a yarn over after second stitch with a knit two together. Guess I have made that clear as mud. Use the cotton yarn and about a size 10 needle.

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6185 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions & the good wishes. The test is in the doc's office, but I have to be there the whole time -- can't phone it in! LOL! I'm not counting on their office having any good magazines. Why do docs offices always have ancient magazines or else golf ones or medical ones? Boring!

Totally back to square one here after a day with no power. Have to clean & restock 2 fridges and do laundry and vacuum. Then maybe I can think about getting my activity bag together for next week.

ALWAYS something! Roll Eyes

Picture of KaylaQuilts
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you are going into this with a good attitude T&Ps that everything turns out ok

Kayla

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream"
-Edgar Allan Poe-

Posts: 704 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: Jan 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
I just want a diagnosis, to answer 10+ years of symptoms that are getting more bizarre & scary. I was the one who suggested this test & was surprised at how little resistance I was met with from the doctor, and how fast he scheduled it. So maybe we're onto something?

Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
Suggestion: take magazines to leave in the doctor's office. When Mom died I took the magazines she had subscribed up to her doctor every couple of months. Better than me tossing them.

Posts: 7035 | Registered: Mar 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
I did that at one doc's office...went back a few days later & the magazines were gone...Confused

I don't know if they had walked to the back rooms or were removed by someone. I thought it rather odd, so I haven't tried it since.