Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It's Thursday! Sign In/Join 
Picture of StarrySky
posted
Sorry. Force of habit. No sewing competition tonight. FrownFrownFrown

I can't find if there's going to be any sort of PR spin-off this summer to fill the gap (Accessories, All-Star, 24-hour Runway, etc.). Has anyone heard? Confused

What am I going to do without my weekly dose of Tim & Swatch? Sit in my sewing room & challenge myself to sketch, shop for, and sew a quilt in one day, then model it on the sidewalk out front for the neighbors to judge? Big Grin

Going to be a long summer. Cry

Posts: 5421 | Location: About 28,000 Light Years From Galactic Center | Registered: Jul 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ooooh....I was hoping you knew something I didn't about PR!

I have kind of been thinking about trying some of the challenges (modified) on my own...

Any interest???? Grocery store challenge? Don't think I will use real food...don't want it to be disposable. And...I know better than to use anything fabric looking!

Posts: 3405 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
I was thinking of challenges, too, but I can't possibly keep any kind of sewing schedule right now, not with various dr. visits eating up my productive times during the week. Frown

We could challenge each other to do new techniques (get over a zipper phobia, e.g.), or put twists on how we use fabric, a` la Patricia.

For Heidi's sake, DON'T use paper napkins or pet piddle pads if you do that grocery store challenge! Razz Big Grin

Posts: 5421 | Location: About 28,000 Light Years From Galactic Center | Registered: Jul 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm interested! Would you want it something to wear like PR? I think I would. And I am very cool with either no particular finish date or something out in the future enough to give plenty of time...maybe a start date though.

Just thoughts here. I even really love upcycling and repurposing stuff. Maybe that could be a starting point...pick something that is no longer worn or needed in your closet, post a pic here and then repurpose it into a truly wearable thing and then repost a pix of you or someone you make it for wearing it...

Posts: 3405 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
Thursdays are kinda stuck in our brains now. Every Thursday, you could post the results of some sort of challenge from the week before or whenever. Some people (Wave) don't sew clothes much at all. Some people (Wave) can't have a deadline because always life takes unexpected turns, or it's time to be spring cleaning, or it's time to be working on the garden. Some people can't post any new pictures because their cat chewed the camera cord (Wave Mad)! But some people (Wave) would love to see what others (Group Hug) could make with a PR type challenge.

Just as long as there are no teams! Big Grin

posted Hide Post
yep, I'm still interested! Sounds good...look to this thread for pix of whatever challenges people might be working on or are finished with. Techniques sound good. I am into trash-to-treasure right now and repurposing so I may just go that route first. I do have a shirt that I let my daughter talk me into that is really not my style. I tried to return it to the store without my daughter finding out (because she LOVED it!) and she saw it in my trunk. I brought it back in the house. About a year went by and I cleaned my closet and the shirt was still there with the tags on it. I had long since lost the receipt. I finally got it to the store and they wouldn't take it back...not even for a store credit...because it had been so long. So now I still have it and think I should remake it but for the life of me I cannot imagine how to make it work. It is polyester knit in a bright turquoise and made into a peasant style. I will get a picture taken and get it posted.

Do you have any other thoughts on how we should handle this Thursday challenge? I like this because if I think I might have to post a picture of the finished challenge on some Thursday I might actually get it done. On the other hand if I don't get it done there is no pressure to post pix. Good idea!

Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
Any other PR-ites (Moodies, Timmies, whatever) want to weigh in on the proposed Project Thursday?

I'm thinking maybe new themes ("challenges") could go out on a Thursday but "stuff" isn't due back in one week -- you can turn it in weeks later & pretend it's the next day. We'll just edit out the extra days in post-production. Big Grin

I don't want to put any stress on anyone, but it might be fun to get some new sewing ideas that fit into certain themes.

Picture of SheriV
posted Hide Post
I'm having serious withdrawal. I looked this morning in the paper for the tv listings to see if something else was on. Nope. I do hope it will be back to the original format when it does come back on.

Posts: 515 | Registered: Jun 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
They're casting for Season 12 right now, and they should start filming in June -- at least that's what they've done in years past, to time it with the September Fashion Week.

I forget when the last summer season began to air...middle of August? Or was it earlier?

posted Hide Post
I finally bought the first seven seasons on DVD with an Amazon gift card I received for Christm@s...loving every single second of it!!! Watching it sparingly to make it last until the new season begins.

This Thursday challenge might be a good filler for us all...

Ideas for challenges?

what was the zipper challenge you mentioned?

Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
quote:
what was the zipper challenge you mentioned?

I was just tossing out an idea... There are some of us (Wave) who were either always afraid of zippers until they tried them, or still are. A zipper challenge could show how they've overcome that fear, or how they finally tried it for the first time (even if it didn't work).

Or you could do something with zipper tape, the kind that isn't actually a functional zipper.

Lots of possibilities.

posted Hide Post
Sounds good....haven't put in a zipper in many, many years! Must admit I probably try not to even though I would like to put one in a purse...

Zipper tape? Looks like a zipper but really doesn't open?

So, every Thursday a new challenge is posted and whenever anyone has completed it we post a pix to share? I like it!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: alexemmarose,