Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Pre washing red - how many times will this take?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pre washing red - how many times will this take? Sign In/Join 
Picture of wannaqlt
posted
I have some red flannel that I want to use as a backing. I have prewashed the material at least 5 times with color catchers, putting 2-3 color catchers in at a time. It is still bleeding.

I may have to give up and use a different color.

Posts: 688 | Location: California | Registered: Jun 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jacky
posted Hide Post
I did wash the purple crown royal bags in retayne (not sure that is the correct spelling)

" My bucket list bucket has a hole and it's leaking time"

Posts: 8884 | Location: usually not where I need to be. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
If you've got spare fabric from the quilt top, try putting it in the washer with the red. Some fabrics bleed forever. Some people swear by vinegar baths but modern dyes aren't effected by it like old dyes.

Posts: 7035 | Registered: Mar 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stillsuzzz
posted Hide Post
I think I would do a different backing!

Posts: 399 | Location: Shapleigh, Maine | Registered: Jul 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MountainLaurel
posted Hide Post
I soaked several smaller pieces of red fabric in my sink with retayne and it took several rinsings after they had soaked but finally came through without any bleeding.

Carolyn

http://harrisburgcof2013.shutterfly.com/pictures

Our lives are like quilts - bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love.

Posts: 2301 | Location: somewhere in my fabric stash | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wildcatmom
posted Hide Post
If there's not any white or other really light colors in the top, go ahead and use it. Unless it's a small quilt, it's going to only be laundered by itself, so not a risk to other items.

~karen Wave

Posts: 3152 | Location: SE KS | Registered: Jul 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would not use that fabric.5 times is plenty of washing, if the color is still bleeding it may never stop and what if someone should throw a special something in the wash with it and it gets ruined. I toss anything like that. I have a homespun fabric that was like that...I'm still using it for FMQ practice and then in the trash with it.Not worth it

May
"In Michigan"

Posts: 9926 | Location: Michigan,up North,the west side of Perfect | Registered: Sep 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NICUnurse
posted Hide Post
I agree with May. There's other fabric to use. I would toss it also.

PamSmile

Posts: 5709 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: Jan 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OklaTwister
posted Hide Post
Use some other fabric. I made my t-shirt quilt with red flannel backing and it also never quits bleeding through to cotton sashing on front; it didn't affect any of the knit cotton t-shirts.

Posts: 831 | Location: Out in the ARK countryside | Registered: Nov 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post