Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  ►2013 CYOC String Block Swap◄ Mailed!!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

►2013 CYOC String Block Swap◄ Mailed!! Sign In/Join 
posted Hide Post
Alex, the blocks are gorgeous!! I'll play with the camera later and see if I can post the 2 layouts I had from the first swap. I finally got out of the house and picked up muslin, all washed and will cut up today. With strips sorted from KC's swaps, I've got some colors set aside for McP's blocks, I'm still looking for my yellows but know where the b&w's are... now, where did all my batik fabrics go????

Posts: 828 | Registered: Jun 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
alexemmarose, love the blocks you did for me & others. Glad to see you used the dark strip as I had a fabric I was thinking of using, but was afraid it was too dark, but it will fit in nicely with the dark ones you used. Just think, when you finiah those 18 blocks you are almost half done with the exchange!

Great blocks eveyone. Have just one set done. Been busy cutting strings and squares for that exchange as it is due the end of this month. Will work on the rest of these while doing quilt tops for QWL with the donated blocks... Chris

Posts: 5865 | Location: Tampa Bay | Registered: Jan 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
aliquilt, so glad to hear you are out and about and feeling better... Chris

Posts: 5865 | Location: Tampa Bay | Registered: Jan 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hope the ocean colored blocks will work for you girls...always worried that they aren't right!

I do love string block swaps...get to use up scraps and make them into something oh-so pretty! I did have to cut a few strips from stash pieces but mostly used my scrap bags.

Posts: 3407 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of royalboomer
posted Hide Post
Alex - yours are done but they are fighting me about getting a picture the proper size...I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong so I'm leaving it and coming back later....this is NOT rocket science sheesh!

Posts: 6451 | Location: Great Midwest | Registered: Oct 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KaribbeanQuilter
posted Hide Post
CBQ, here are your shabby chic. I have LOTS of time to do others if some/all are not quite what you had in mind; just let me know. As our wonderful hostess, you deserve only the best!

Posts: 502 | Registered: Jul 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, dear, I guess I went a little overboard on resizing. I'll email you the original picture. I am obviously, no technogoddess

posted Hide Post
Had some time during the nasty weather last week and decided to just get busy and get my blocks all finished up while I had everything out...how soon are you accepting our blocks in your mailbox CBQ?

Posts: 3407 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcpatches
posted Hide Post
Crazy and Karibbean, I love pastels. Just at a loss what shabby chic is. I have one block done. Does this look acceptable to you? If not, which strips don't fit?

Posts: 5669 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Jan 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crazy'boutquilts
posted Hide Post
Looks wonderful to me McP! Smile

Alex~ Way to sew!! My mailbox is always ready. Whenever you are. Wink

Posts: 10448 | Location: Washington! :-) | Registered: Sep 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
McP, your shabby chic looks lovely! I think you've got it exactly!

I am debating whether to post pix of everyones' finished blocks but I am oh-so worried you might not like them and they might look better mixed in together with all the others when you get them home! How is that for insecure??!!

Picture of NICUnurse
posted Hide Post
ooohhhh everyone's blocks are beautiful!!

I will have to jump in next time! You guys have fun and please post your final pics! So many color combimations to choose from-it's hard to pick just one!!!

PamSmile

Posts: 5700 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: Jan 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of royalboomer
posted Hide Post
OK - let's try again...these are Alex's blocks.....

Posts: 6451 | Location: Great Midwest | Registered: Oct 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
Okay, here goes...McP's autumn colors...

posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
The rest are still on my camera. I will download and resize later today.

posted Hide Post
Alex, all your blocks are beautiful!! McP, thanks for asking again about shabby chic, now that I see your pic and the approval, I'm feeling better about what to do for the blocks. I haven't started yet but have fabrics pulled and will be working on them leader/enders while finishing up a "cars" quilt top for a friend's son upcoming 4th birthday.

Posts: 828 | Registered: Jun 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of royalboomer
posted Hide Post
You certainly have been busy Alex! Brownies this year...maybe Girl Scouts next Smile No can't do that, already did greens. Hoping to knock out another set or two this weekend - since Mother Nature has decreed that we are not to be raking the lawn and clearing out debris from the flower beds by keeping everything under a heavy blanket of snow - even though it is supposed to be SPRING!! --I can get a little more sewing time in Smile

posted Hide Post
Trying again to resize and post the shabbies for CBQ; kinda overdid the shrinking the last time. Won't get to any new sets this weekend; busy finishing the quilt for my goddaughter's engagement present to be ready for my TRIP TO THE STATES FRIDAY Smile

Picture of royalboomer
posted Hide Post
I was feeling so good - brought up McP's blocks upstairs for the picture, took the picture, put them all back into their baggie and glanced one last time at the requirements......arghhhh, I read those multiple times and skipped over the no purple thing each time. At least the only two purples I will be taking out are on the corners. Will change those out, take new pictures and post later in the week...... the plan is to work on the ocean and sand blocks next and finish up with the shabby chic ones since the last fabrics I ordered are not here yet.

Picture of mcpatches
posted Hide Post
Finished up two sets of shabby chic this morning. Have some other sewing to do so my next set to work on will have to wait till some time after this week. These are fun to do!

Posts: 5669 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Jan 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love them KQ! Have a safe trip! Smile

I have my background fabric ready to cut and have been making little piles of strings. I'll have it all together soon. Wink

Posts: 10448 | Location: Washington! :-) | Registered: Sep 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of royalboomer
posted Hide Post
Crazy - I would suggest make BIG piles of strings Smile That way you can have as big of a mess as I do. I like sharing.

posted Hide Post
LOL Royal, they seem to grow on their own! Wink

posted Hide Post

Picture of royalboomer
posted Hide Post
Finished the ocean blocks - I plan on taking a picture tomorrow or Saturday and will post then. All that is left is the shabby ones and the fabric order came in the other day so I'm good to go Smile

Update: picture is taken but still in the camera Smile Started the shabby blocks. Once the center gets one string on each side they go really fast but that initial part takes some time Smile Sadly, I don't have as much variety of shabby fabrics as I thought I would have. Some of the fabrics have red, brown or black in them, not much but it is there. I must not have noticed that when I ordered them....in the bin they went Smile One set has the first 3 strips down and pressed....I'm looking forward to working on these this weekend.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: royalboomer,

Picture of royalboomer
posted Hide Post
I'm having a difficult time...first try the attachment was supposed to be ok but only ended up with a box - second time I used a trigger word and the entire thing disappeared (it may come back as a second picture later) This is my last try for today.... Smile

posted Hide Post
Here are Royalboomer's ocean blocks~~ gorgeous!! Smile

Picture of royalboomer
posted Hide Post
Thank you CBQ Smile I'm thinking I may try using Firefox the next time I try to post....have absolutely no idea why they wouldn't post for me.

posted Hide Post
You are most welcome! I use Firefox almost exclusively on the board and I don't have any problems~ that must be why. Wink

posted Hide Post
Trimmed up all of my blocks last week to get ready to mail and messed up the trimming of the LAST one! Set it all aside and made a replacement yesterday for the messed up block only to mess this one up when trimming also! I swe@r! SO, I am bound for my sewing room today to remake yet another block and will be very careful in my trimming!!! Hope I have enough fabbies!!!

posted Hide Post
Final replacement block made and trimmed correctly and ready to mail out! Yea!

Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
Have 5 sets of the blocks done and last night I cleaned up all the leftovers from trimming. After I seperated eveything from the muslin and each other I pressed all the folded ends and then cut that off and made tiangles, squares and small strips out of eveything. A new stack for my leaders and enders pile... Chris

Picture of royalboomer
posted Hide Post
Oh my - now that is frugal Smile My trimmings went directly into the trash.....I keep a big wastebasket next to the cutting table. I thought about trying to use them for something at one point but then reality hit. I just won't ever do it - I sure do admire those that take the time to do so.

posted Hide Post
There are Karibbean Quilters blocks for Royalboomer~~ Smile

posted Hide Post
waiting on mail bags I ordered to get mailed out...

Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
Made the ocean batik blocks and when i was dividing them up, I realized somehow I had made 13. Then I had to decide which one I wanted to keep????

Just 6 more and I am done. Will mail after the first of May... Chris

Picture of royalboomer
posted Hide Post
I am getting very excited to put this one together - it is my summer project Smile

Picture of royalboomer
posted Hide Post
Shabby chic blocks done - camera is charging now - will try and post a pic tomorrow. I can't believe I'm done already!! They went really fast. Now I need to pull browns to add to my own when they come after I get done putting this group of strings away- I think cleaning up takes longer than the actual sewing Smile

posted Hide Post
Here is one set of 6 Ocean/Sand blocks. The other two sets of six will be similar, but not quite identical to this one. They are sewn, but I haven't gotten to trimming them yet. Had to spend some time at the beach this weekend. Research, you know. Needed to make sure these colors were authentic. Oh, the sacrifices we make in the name of quilting...

posted Hide Post
Mailed! Delivery Confirmation # is 9505510284483106504103.

Picture of royalboomer
posted Hide Post
Here's the last two sets......

Picture of royalboomer
posted Hide Post
Sure wish we could attach two pictures in one post Smile

posted Hide Post
I will let you know when they arrive KQ. Smile

Royal~ love them!!! Smile

posted Hide Post
Your beauties are here Karibbean Quilter! Smile Thank you for the surprises too! Wink

posted Hide Post
...so...have had my work all done for about a month but one thing or another has caused them to just sit on my dining room table not getting mailed out. Today, I think today is the day they are going out~yea!! Will post here when they have actually left the building! SmileSmile

posted Hide Post
CBQ...mailed my blocks out today! Yea!

posted Hide Post
Whoohoo! I'll let you know when they arrive. Smile

posted Hide Post
They are here alexemmarose! Smile That was pretty fast! I haven't opened them yet~ hubby just came in with the mail and I was still online. Red Face

How is everyone else doing?? Smile