Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  ►2013 CYOC String Block Swap◄ Mailed!!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

►2013 CYOC String Block Swap◄ Mailed!! Sign In/Join 
Picture of crazy'boutquilts
posted
Whoohoo! Time for some fun!! Smile

Here are our guidelines~

To sign up please PM your phone number and email to me. In either the PM, or here on this thread tell me your finished center strip preference (size and color) and your string color choice(s). I will keep a running list on this thread.

●I'll take sign-ups for 1 week.

●Next weekend I will PM everyone with the master list and my address~ all blocks will be sent to me. When we know how many have signed up, we'll have a better idea of what to send in postage to get your blocks back to you.

●Due date will be June 1st, 2013. ~subject to change if we get a lot of swappers Wink

●We will each make 6 blocks for each swapper.

●Please, please, please don't wait until the last minute to sew your blocks and then ask me to extend the deadline. I won't. Sorry, but this has to be fair to everyone. I will sort your blocks and get them back to you as fast as I can. Wink

●Please use 100% cotton fabric for your foundation. Since inexpensive muslin is what most swappers use, please be sure it is washed so our blocks don’t shrink out of shape when we wash our finished quilts.

●The strips do not need to be washed as we each have our own views on washing/not washing our stash, and it would be a mess to wash a pile of strings. If you have a fabric that you know bleeds terribly, don’t use it in anyone’s blocks. Once your quilt is made I would advise washing it with a few ‘Color Catchers’. Wink

●Please be sure to center the middle strip. And keep all strips straight.

● Also please vary the width of your strings~ and try not to use too many strings that are wider than the center strip, although a wider one on the corner is good so you don't end up with a nub when you trim. Wink. The more strips/strings; the more interesting the blocks are. Wink

Please be aware of your thread choices. If someone has chosen a red or black center strip, please don’t sew with white thread. It will show. Also if their center is white~ don’t sew with black thread. Please no clear monofilament thread!

●Please check your thread tension and your quarter inch seams. Nothing is more disheartening than to get a block where the maker didn’t use quarter inch seams and the strips pull out.

●Please start with a 9.5 inch square of your foundation muslin and trim it down to 8.5 inches after you have added your strips.

●I will do 'spot' checks as your blocks come in to make sure the seams are sturdy, the fabrics are nice, and they measure the right size. If everyone does their very best, we should not have any problems. Smile

Ok, did I miss anything?

2013 String Block Swappers~~

1. crazy'boutquilts ~ 1 inch finished solid white center with shabby chic strings. Light, soft pastel-y shades in all colors~ no dark tones, browns or blacks.

2. Royalboomer~ 1.5 inch finished center strip in a dark brown. The surrounding strings can be tone-on-tones, solids, etc. You could even use a print of a mixture of dark browns and medium browns. If it had a smidgen of another color it's ok if it plays nicely with the others and doesn't step forward. It should blend into the browns, does that make sense? For example, a string with reds or yellows in it doesn't work because, even though those colors don't jump out in a large piece of the fabric by the time it gets to string size that's exactly where your eye goes. Photo's below.

3. Alexemmarose~ 1 1/2" finished center strip in medium yellows (prints okay if read yellow but would prefer batiks and solids) with black on white and white on black strings of varying sizes. Also please add one string of yellow to each block, randomly placed.

4. coreysmom~ 1 1/2" finished sand batik center strip with blues teals aquas purples greens strings. Ocean colors done in all batiks.

5. cksvett~ 1 1/2" finished sand batik center strip with blues teals aquas purples greens strings. Ocean colors done in all batiks.

6. aliquilt~ 1 1/2" finished sand batik center strip with blues teals aquas purples greens strings. Ocean colors done in all batiks.

7. Karibbean Quilter~ Shabby chic, please. Light, pastel, soft colors; no red, dark, bright, black, brown... No particular requirements for center strip; would love to just keep it all shabby chic.

8. McPatches~ 1 1/2 inch finished black center strip with subdued fall colors in cinnamon, sages (not grass green), golds, browns, and dark oranges (not bright) and prefer no blues, purples or pinks. Below is a block I like, and a scarf with the colors I'm thinking of. Golds and oranges are OK, if they are not bright, bright, bright. I'm thinking batiks, tone-on-tone, blenders, tiny monochromatic prints, but no flashy prints or florals.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: crazy'boutquilts,

Posts: 10450 | Location: Washington! :-) | Registered: Sep 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok, what's up? Wave

Posts: 10450 | Location: Washington! :-) | Registered: Sep 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of royalboomer
posted Hide Post
Count me in - I'll go with the browns but will take a picture and post it here for guidance. I decided this one is going to BIL for xmas - I ordered a kit from CT that my father will love so I have to keep that machine humming this year Smile

Posts: 6464 | Location: Great Midwest | Registered: Oct 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KC1930
posted Hide Post
For clairification purposes, I suggest that every swapper post a sample block of what she is looking for that will answer many questions on shading and fabric prints.

http://hexagonswap.blogspot.com/

For donated quilts for the kids, check out the photos at
http://kc1930.blogspot.com/201...-pictures-below.html

Posts: 9225 | Location: Lewiston, Maine | Registered: Feb 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm in! Thanks so much for hosting again CBQ!! I will try PMs to send my info but havings some issues...may have to ask for your private email...

Anyhoo, I would like a black/white and yellow color scheme like Royalboomer did a few years ago.

1 1/2" center strip in medium yellows (prints okay if read yellow but would prefer batiks and solids) with black on white and white on black strings of varying sizes. Also please add one string of yellow to each block, randomly placed.

Thank you! Looking forward to playing with you all! axel

Posts: 3409 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome Royal and Alex! I loved that B/W/Yellow quilt of Linda's too. Great choice!

I like KC's idea of pics. If you google 'string quilts' you will see many colors. I'm leaning slightly toward shabby chic, but still thinking. Smile

posted Hide Post

Picture of KaribbeanQuilter
posted Hide Post
What fun! When exactly will you cut off sign ups? I reeeeally would like to participate (love the Christmas one I made from a previous swap; everyone made such beautiful blocks) but need to wait till the bitter end to sign up to make sure I can get fabrics for each person's wishes. So far so good, as I can get all the ones posted so far. Are batiks ok in the browns? Thank you!

Posts: 507 | Registered: Jul 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sign-up's are only going to be open until Saturday.

I think there are a few sitting on the fence with the same idea, Kari. We had lots of responses to the interest thread, so I can't figure out what happened from there to here~? Wink

posted Hide Post

Picture of jacky
posted Hide Post
OHHHHH I so want a quilt like Royalbloomers too---maybe!! I need to see if I have fabrics for all to before I can commit.I swore no more swaps after bad experience but I so love strings.

" My bucket list bucket has a hole and it's leaking time"

Posts: 8884 | Location: usually not where I need to be. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We'd love to have you Jacky! Wave

posted Hide Post
Okay I'm in. 1 1/2 finished sand batik center strip with blues teals aquas purples greens strings. Ocean colors done in all batiks.
Tami

Posts: 117 | Registered: Sep 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome Tami! Gotcha! Smile

Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
Almost missed this. Sign me up again. Will do the same ting for the third time, batiks with sand color in the middle (1 1/2 finished) & ocean colors in the rest of the block. Same as coreysmom... Chris

Posts: 5875 | Location: Tampa Bay | Registered: Jan 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Count me in again! I'd also like the same blocks as Coreysmom and cksvett...they were beautiful the first time and I can make a larger quilt with another round of blocks!!

Posts: 828 | Registered: Jun 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shey..
posted Hide Post
cbq.. i'm like KaribbeanQuilter.. i want to do this but need to make sure i have pretty much everything in my stash.. so far so good.. don't have much in the "brown" colour.. but prob enough for a few blocks.. also the due date is a bit of a crunch for me.. if there is a lot.. as i have lots on my plate this spring.. so i will be holding out till the very end.. for those of you doing the ocean quilt.. i LOVE mine.. it's my favorite of all the string quilts i've done..

shey..

my blog.. http://sheysstitchinmagic.blogspot.com/
http://twistedstitchers-quiltingnewbie.blogspot.com/

"it's not the human walk.. it's the human race, if you ain't livin on the edge .. you're takin to much space..." Nickelback.. Dark Horse.. This Afternoon..

Posts: 3461 | Location: FL | Registered: Jun 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gotcha ladies! I think you are right shey.. A lot of ladies don't have a batik stash, so when everyone chooses the same block, they pass. But for me, it easier to make 12 blocks the same, than to have to make them all different~ I have blues and sand from past swaps and just keep using them. LOL Wink

posted Hide Post
I decided Smile

Who is sitting on the fence? C'mon in and play!! Wave

posted Hide Post
Royalboomer~ I've had a couple questions about your browns~ are batiks ok? tone on tones?

Picture of royalboomer
posted Hide Post
You can use regular cottons or batiks - I love batiks if you don't already know and use them in place of cotton whenever the color is right. Smile

I am looking for a very dark center string (I have to look back and see what the last one was in terms of size) Tone-on-tones are just fine...actually a few solids here and there are just fine as well.

The surrounding strings can be tone-on-tones, solids, etc. You could even use a print of a mixture of dark browns and medium browns. If it had a smidgen of another color it's ok if it plays nicely with the others and doesn't step forward. It should blend into the browns, does that make sense? For example, a string with reds or yellows in it doesn't work because, even though those colors don't jump out in a large piece of the fabric by the time it gets to string size that's exactly where your eye goes.

I'll pull out the ones from the last swap and ake a picture of a combination of a few that is what I am looking for.

I think I'm going to take some time today to shop for more oceany batiks...this theme is so popular I've depleted a great deal of my collection of those. One of these days I may just try one of those for myself Smile

Posts: 6464 | Location: Great Midwest | Registered: Oct 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Royal!!

Any one ready to hop off that fence?? Smile

posted Hide Post
Off the fence -- I'm in! Shabby chic, please. Light, pastel, soft colors; no red, dark, bright, black, brown... No particular requirements for center strip; would love to just keep it all shabby chic. Thank you!

Picture of royalboomer
posted Hide Post
Here's some pictures as promised...I always do better when I can "see" what someone is envisioning Smile

One block: This is one of my favorites of the ones from the last swap, so scrumptious Smile

Picture of royalboomer
posted Hide Post
And here's a group of 4 together....if you stay away from fabric with white, yellow, etc in it you'll have it perfectly. I want it to look chocolately Smile

Oh, and the center string should start at 2" so it will finish at 1 1/2"

posted Hide Post
Thanks royal! I recognize some of those fabrics! Wink

Welcome Karibbean Quilter!! Smile

Anyone else on the fence? The clock is ticking... Wink

posted Hide Post
tick tock tick tock Big Grin

posted Hide Post
I bought some new "sand" color fabby last month to use as a border on a quilt and low and behold...looks like I will be using the leftovers for many of your blocks! Yea! Love it when that happens! Looking forward to playing with you all! Coreysmom...I see you decide to jump on in...

Posts: 3409 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love 'happy accidents' like that alex! Smile

Anymore takers before we close up and move to PM's???

Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
Found some of the blocs from the last swap, so here is what the batik ocean blocks have looked like in the past... Chris

Posts: 5875 | Location: Tampa Bay | Registered: Jan 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last day to sign up!
If you are on a fence~ jump! jump!! Smile

Picture of mcpatches
posted Hide Post
OK, OK Crazy, catch me, I'm jumping. I want a black center strip with subdued fall colors in cinnamon, sages (not grass green), golds, browns, and dark oranges (not bright) and prefer no blues, purples or pinks. Below is a block I like, and a scarf with the colors I'm thinking of. Golds and oranges are OK, if they are not bright, bright, bright. I'm thinking batiks, tone-on-tone, blenders, tiny monochromatic prints, but no flashy prints or florals. Not picky am I? LOL!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mcpatches,

Posts: 5674 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Jan 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oooh McP~ I love those colors!! Smile I caught you!!! Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: crazy'boutquilts,

Picture of shey..
posted Hide Post
sorry cbq... after re-checking my schedule for the next few months.. i just don't think i can do it this time.. but i would love to be considered for the next go around.. (darn..i really wanted that sunrise/sunset theme.. oh well.. next time!.. by then i'll be sure what i really want for the center strip).. your blocks are all going to be gorgeous!!.. and i'm gonna miss doing them..

shey..

my blog.. http://sheysstitchinmagic.blogspot.com/
http://twistedstitchers-quiltingnewbie.blogspot.com/

"it's not the human walk.. it's the human race, if you ain't livin on the edge .. you're takin to much space..." Nickelback.. Dark Horse.. This Afternoon..

Posts: 3461 | Location: FL | Registered: Jun 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for letting me know shey.. Smile

Ladies, I set up our PM thread. Please let me know if I missed you. Eek

posted Hide Post
CBQ...thank you for getting this all set up. I seem to be having troubles lately with PMs...can briefly see the post but cannot respond to it and cannot read back posts. I was able to copy and save the list from this list. Could you please email me directly with any further changes to details? Thank you.

Once you email me once I will come back here and delete my email. Thanks bunches!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: alexemmarose,

Picture of royalboomer
posted Hide Post
Alex - I saved the info with everyone's final instructions for colors, etc. as a Word Doc - I'll email it to you.

posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
Alex~ please note McP changed her center strip to 1.5 inches finished. Wave

posted Hide Post
Made several b/w-y this weekend -- it's a great color scheme Alexemmarose. Any tips, ladies, for squaring up the blocks?

Picture of royalboomer
posted Hide Post
I have an 8 1/2 " ruler I use; however, before I went ahead and bought that I put the glow tape on two sides of a bigger ruler and made it into an 8 1/2 - hence the real ruler now Smile It worked OK but I had to think Smile

posted Hide Post
Still can't figure out how to resize and post on my ipad (if anyone can tell me how to do that, I would be most appreciative!), but did get DH to tear himself away from his Mac for a few minutes to try this. McP, these are the first few. Plan to get the rest finished this week, so if I'm not on the right track, please let me know.

posted Hide Post
Here ya go, AlexEmmaRo

posted Hide Post
OOOH! Love my blocks! Thank you for posting pix Karribean!

Picture of mcpatches
posted Hide Post
O.M.G! Absolutely love my blocks Elle! Those are just what I had dreamed of!

Posts: 5674 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Jan 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of royalboomer
posted Hide Post
I spent the afternoon cutting the rest of my muslin squares and starting the string cutting process. I have all the strings cut for the ocean blocks and the center strings cut for all of the blocks. I'm still not happy with the yellow so I'm going to keep looking. I did find a couple of shabby chic fabrics I forgot I had Smile They'll go nicely with the ones I ordered. Hoping to actually finish some of these blocks next weekend. It sure helps to see pictures - thank you!

posted Hide Post
coreysmom, aliquilts, and cksvett...here are your ocean colored string blocks...all 18 of them! These are not yet trimmed up but wanted you to see your blocks. I must admit, this colorway does make for some interesting and pretty blocks!

posted Hide Post
Great ocean blocks! You have been busy!
Will be starting soon on CBQ's shabby chic but have a question. Requests say a finished 1" white center strip, but general directions say " try not to use too many strings that are wider than the center strip," so are the great majority of shabby strings supposed to be less than one inch finished or are you looking for a little more variety in width than that? Thank you!

posted Hide Post
I am hoping CBQ wants more variety as I just finished her's and there is great variety in widths!

posted Hide Post
Oh yes~ please do variety! I love variety! Smile

That guideline meant to not just do two big strips per side. I know none of you would do that. Wink