Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Sew & Tell 8-23-13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sew & Tell 8-23-13 Sign In/Join 
posted
Sew & Tell is our weekly sharing thread. Tell us what you've finished, what you're working on- we'll cheer you on!

I forgot it was Friday! I'll be back later to show what I'm working on- I'm on the PC and the pic is on the iPad.

What are you working on?

Holly

Posts: 2931 | Registered: Jul 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
New Mug Rug for my daughter-in-law.

Happy Stitch'n

~mn_lady_us~

Quilting - Machine Embroidery-Painting - Crafts

http://s212.photobucket.com/albums/cc182/mn_lady_us/

Posts: 1110 | Location: God's Country | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
Last summer, I took my 20 year old DGD shopping for fabric for a quilt for her. I already had a pattern chosen that called for 12 different fabrics. I started on it in September and worked on it off and on until today. All of the applique was done by hand (that's why it took so long!). It may be another year before the quilting is done because I plan to do that by hand also. The colors are not what I would have chosen but I grew to love them. The picture makes the colors look more harsh than they are, for example the blue is a nice aqua instead of the bright blue it looks like.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pvillelou,

Posts: 6472 | Registered: Nov 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
Nice job Marylou, She will love it and every time she looks at it will remember her shopping trip with you. You are a great grandmother.

Posts: 7831 | Location: Kenosha Wi USA | Registered: Sep 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AuntJo
posted Hide Post
Mary Lou your quilt is fantastic ! Love all the color!

Posts: 4298 | Location: N.Y., USA | Registered: May 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pvillelou, your quilt is beautiful. I love all of the bright colors. I just finished this bargello table topper for my granddaughter who is getting married next month.

Posts: 182 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
Went to the Greater San Antonio quilt show today. Sure saw some amazing quilts. One of my favorites was one with Texas motifs done as a Hawaiian appliqued quilt. Folded fabrics cut in one piece to look like a snowflake. Amazing motifs!

Posts: 7011 | Registered: Mar 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Will Quilt for Chocolate
posted Hide Post
Evelyn - I was there too! I also loved that quilt. I wouldn't have even noticed it except my friend pointed it out. I've never seen one like it!

Posts: 4789 | Registered: May 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Always love this post. Love seeing the photos of what everyone is working on or has seen.
Thanks for posting.

Rondi

Posts: 1536 | Location: winchester,ky | Registered: Aug 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mary Lou, I made that same quilt for my niece for her 50th birthday several years ago, I had ordered the kit. She loved it.

Wanda

Posts: 1727 | Registered: Jul 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
TeddyLady, what a beautiful quilt topper.
Evelyn,, that sure is pretty with the red/white applique.

Posts: 7831 | Location: Kenosha Wi USA | Registered: Sep 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
This thread NEVER disappoints!

I have no photos, but I've made a couple of doo-rags for DS to wear at the nursing home where he works part time. I think it's funny. He has male-patterned baldness beginning in high school so keeps his hair burred. LOL

Posts: 16489 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love this tread!

Mary Lou -- I just finished a quilt using that pattern. I did the applique by machine, and it seemed like it took forever! A big pat on the back to you for doing it by hand! It is a really large quilt. Another pat on the back for hand quilting it!

Posts: 227 | Location: Kansas | Registered: Apr 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltzilla
posted Hide Post
I made this for DN's baby & he just arrived yesterday.
It has more than 60 different novelties.

Posts: 6622 | Registered: Aug 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Downsouth
posted Hide Post
Mtn Lady, I saved those patterns this morning! Smile I'm putting it on pillowcases (the one that says "Good morning, Sunshine!")

Teddy lady, wow! That is gorgeous!

Mary Lou, beautiful quilt!

Devonne

Posts: 14932 | Location: Georgia | Registered: Jan 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of amiko
posted Hide Post
Great projects and lots of talent being showcased.
amiko

Posts: 367 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: Oct 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SeeingStars
posted Hide Post
Mary Lou, that's such a beautiful quilt. I've just started learning hand applique and I'm very impressed with the work you've put into this quilt.

aka TeddyLady, the circle bargello is stunning. Great colors!

EvelynB, I like that Texas style Hawaiian applique. My fave is the bottom left one. Smile

Q'zilla, your nephew will enjoy gazing at his very own quilt. Hope he uses it for tummy time.

mn_lady, cute mug rug. I like the oval shape too.

Posts: 3527 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: Dec 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
mn-lady, I like your mug rug. Really cute.
Quiltzilla, what a colorful little quilt, one that will grow with him.
Here is something that I sewed and finished today. DH asked for a bag to store his new notepad. I made it a little bigger so he could store the charger right with it, but he wanted a pocket. Well, after the zipper was in I told him no and made a small drawstring bag for his connecting cord and charger, Now he wants another bag to store the gizmo that connects to the computer and can adapt to different camera memory sticks. Why didn't he tell me that he wanted something big enough to store everything in one bag. This next bag is not going to have a zipper, just a drawstring. LOL

Picture of shequilts
posted Hide Post
I made this to wear to our Red Hats Pajama Breakfast tomorrow. It should be a hoot!!

Sew, sew, and sew some more that's my motto!

Posts: 704 | Location: Eaton, OH  | Registered: Apr 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BetsyLu65
posted Hide Post
I made the practice quilt to learn the kaleidoscope process.
It's a floral nightmare, too busy, but it did help me learn that I'll need to mix in enough solids to break it up a bit.
Got the strata for the holiday quilt sewn together and ready to be cut now.

BetsyLu65 Wink

Posts: 97 | Location: Fort Wayne, In | Registered: Aug 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
Betsylu, The technique looks pretty good, you are right it is a little bit busy, but then if we never try we won't know. Good luck with your next project. TFS

Picture of quilthappy69
posted Hide Post
I have so many projects going that I had to stop and make something that I could finish in one day so I made purse from a pattern I got at the Lancaster quilt show.

formily Becky from NY

Posts: 57 | Location: Clayton NC | Registered: Mar 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Above I mentioned making DS doo-rags to wear to the nursing home. Here's the last of three. His choice of fabrics.

Posts: 16489 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
A co-worker gave me a couple of pieces of fabric. DS immediately identified this from the cartoon he watched when he was a kid and requested its use in a Kindle cover...Pinkie and the Brain. LOL

He handed me a clip on book light and asked if I could do something with it... I made a "buttonhole" and the light slides into the hole and clips on the plastic needlepoint canvas I used to make the front and back of the cover rigid.

Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
Wow! We've been a busy group lately, haven't we? Lots of great results shown here.

A few years ago, my guild made a bunch of lap size tops for Quilts of Valor. One of our members was going to quilt them on her LA and send them to QOV. Well, she had health problems and lighting struck her LA so she returned to tops to the guild. We each took back what we had made. I think I had three and have already done something with two of them (I think I sent them to be quilted by someone here then to be taken to COF for QOV). Now the guild is working on making enough twin size quilts for a veterans home. So I got out the remaining top, added a pieced border to each end and a plain border all around. With some suggestions from a friend, I managed to machine quilt it myself and just now finished binding it.

Posts: 6472 | Registered: Nov 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I made three micro-preemie shirt/gowns for my boss' GGD. At last count was she was up to 1 pound 5 ounces and has gained an inch in length...from 11 inches to 12 inches...despite having an off and on again infection.

Other than large plaids, these were the only flannels in my stash I thought appropriate. I have more of the pink but need to go shopping. Shoulder seams and front are closed with Velcro for ease in quick-changing the Bailey.

These are TINY!!! Fitting 1-3 pound babies...

Edited: My boss told me that Bailey is half this size!!! I guess if it fit a 3 pounder that it would swallow a 1 pounder. When I get a chance, I'm going to reduce the pattern a bit and do another.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KeepYouInStitches,

Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
OMG, sew very tiny. Cute prints.

Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
Great assortment of items this weekend.

KYIS, could be doll clothes they are so tiny & cute.

I am working on the string block exchange. The end is in sight tho... Chris

Posts: 5862 | Location: Tampa Bay | Registered: Jan 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltinana2
posted Hide Post
Wow great projects this week ladies! Love them all.

KYIS - those kimonos are tiny. I knit sacques for micropreemies and matching hats. It's hard to believe babies can be that small.

Well wishes for continued improvement for the baby and family.
Joan

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Quiltinana2,

Posts: 377 | Location: Middle of the Mitten | Registered: Apr 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of irish62
posted Hide Post
Love this thread..love all the projects, especially the quilts that look like mandala's. I have a mandala challenge for a local yoga studio coming up.
My guild made "potato chip" quilts for community service. I went home and made one the next day for my granddaughter, Sophia.

Posts: 2521 | Location: batavia ny | Registered: Sep 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post