Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  quiltsmart mondo bag
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

quiltsmart mondo bag Sign In/Join 
Picture of mandylifeboats
posted
has anyone made any of the quiltsmart bags? last weekend, we all were making the "midi" quiltsmart bag and it was really quite easy. i am about to finish mine and i can't wait to see how it comes out. i see they also make patterns for quilts.

http://quiltsmart.com/

Posts: 5062 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: May 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently did the mondo bag as part of a baby shower gift. The directions were easy enough to follow, but it came out a lot bigger than I had anticipated! My original intent was to fill it with packages of diapers - put three large packs in and there was still empty space - I stopped there! Next time, I'll try the midi bag - think the size would be better. Can be a great use of scraps if you like.

Posts: 285 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania | Registered: Feb 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lisa - TX
posted Hide Post
I haven't made on yet, but have the pattern and supplies for the midi bag. Several of my friends in my guild and bee here have made one or both of the bags. The mondo bag is big, but suitable for carrying a big project or lots of stuff for sure.

Not sure when I will start mine, as I have several projects that must be finished before I can allow myself to start the bag.

Posts: 5091 | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltinana2
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link Mandy. While looking at the website, I realied that I had the wineglass kit in my drawer of patterns. I bought it in August and planned on making some as gifts for this past holiday. The quilt store was selling a sheet of two for $1.99 and I figured I could make my own template to make more. Oh well, maybe next holiday!

Posts: 377 | Location: Middle of the Mitten | Registered: Apr 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kim - Strut526
posted Hide Post
i have made 3 of the large ones. i think the instructions are lacking.
You could make your own pattern with fusible stabilizer.
Sandy O! made the small one, it was so cute!

Posts: 11812 | Location: Taylor, Mi. | Registered: Sep 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
Sister Sue and I made the Quiltsmart Mariners Compass and it turned out just like the picture only with our colors. It was way easier than we thought it would be and we had a blast making it. I didn't know they had a bag pattern too, will check out the website. TFS Pat

Posts: 8221 | Location: Kenosha Wi USA | Registered: Sep 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paus4quilts
posted Hide Post
How neat!!!!

I was thinking just this morning, honestly, that I need a new bag; the summer colors are a couple seasons behind. The fun of being able to make your own bags...you can have a new one whenever you want. I like this one!!! In the smaller size, that is.

Thanx for bringing this up.

Posts: 6072 | Registered: Aug 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mandylifeboats
posted Hide Post
if i made another, i wouldn't use the fusible batting. it makes the bag too boxy. i agree with the directions being vague, i had to get help each step of the way.

Posts: 5062 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: May 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of L.L.
posted Hide Post
Quitinana2 - why not make some of those really cool wineglass 'shades' for Valentines day???
That would be so cute, just around the house or on the table!!! And this, if you did make more for other 'holidays' at this time, would put you ahead of the rush!! Just a thought!! Wink

Posts: 2414 | Location: Alberta, Canada!!  | Registered: Mar 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jeepdarla
posted Hide Post
I made a Mondo bag as a gift last fall.

My main problem was trying to prevent two blocks of the same color from ending up right next to each other -it happened anyway.

I did add an inside pocket. And I put a couple of extra lines of topstitching in the handle to keep it from being floppy.

I have another kit that I will use to make one for myself when I get around to it.

Posts: 3131 | Location: kentucky | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paus4quilts
posted Hide Post
Really cute bag!!!!

Posts: 6072 | Registered: Aug 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
nice color choices jeepdarla! The one i made was for my niece, as a beach bag. it is that big, i think!

Posts: 11812 | Location: Taylor, Mi. | Registered: Sep 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltinana2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by L.L.:
Quitinana2 - why not make some of those really cool wineglass 'shades' for Valentines day???
...., would put you ahead of the rush!! Wink

I know, the thought was in my mind that I could make some up ahead for birthdays but hsve never been an "ahead of the rush" person, lol. Thanks for the suggestion.

Posts: 377 | Location: Middle of the Mitten | Registered: Apr 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jeepdarla
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Kim......I was thinking the same thing about the colors you used!

A friend of mine made one with the bright gold,pink,oragne batiks...it is gorgeous.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jeepdarla,

Posts: 3131 | Location: kentucky | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine were the leftovers from a quilt i made! Will Quilt for chocolate helped me with a shadow quilt, and the leftover fabrics were just to pretty to toss in my stash. so, the Mondo bag was made!

here are the pictures o took of the process of making the Mondo bag..
http://picasaweb.google.com/11...er=0&feat=directlink

Picture of L.L.
posted Hide Post
This has been on my mind since I saw it!! LOVE the bag jeepdarla!!! Only you will notice 'two squares' together!!! Wink Really nice!

Posts: 2414 | Location: Alberta, Canada!!  | Registered: Mar 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jeepdarla
posted Hide Post
Thank you,LL. You are going to have to give it a try!

Kim's photos are like a mini tutorial to go along with the kit. Nice, Kim!

You all are putting me in the mood to make another bag now.

Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
I love going back and reading posts from last year. I missed quite a few. Do you read old posts?

My guild made these bags last month. So fun and easy. Last year I used the general idea and pieced crocheted granny squares and felted the bag. I also used a pack of charm squares to make one too. After the first one the variations are easy.

Posts: 7563 | Registered: Mar 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of native Texan
posted Hide Post
Oh!! I MAde one like that years ago from 1 1/2 inch sample squares.

CC

Posts: 4702 | Location: 1,000 miles from home | Registered: Apr 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have this pattern and want to make one for myself. Kim - Strut526: I am wondering what you meant when you said the instructions were vague. If you have any helpful hints, I would appreciate them. I have the pattern and it came with interfacing that is marked in squares. Hate to ruin good fabric if I run into problems.

Quiltmaker

Posts: 1179 | Registered: Mar 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of native Texan
posted Hide Post
this is the one I made. similar.

CC

Posts: 4702 | Location: 1,000 miles from home | Registered: Apr 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post