Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Sew & Tell 10-18-13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sew & Tell 10-18-13 Sign In/Join 
posted
Sew & Tell is our weekly sharing thread. Tell us what you've finished, what you're working on- we'll cheer you on.

My mother in law passed away last week, and this week was busy with the viewing, the funeral, and the burial. My husband is still getting over bronchitis. So with all that, I was lucky to get a little crocheting done!

Anyone sewing?

Posts: 3016 | Registered: Jul 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about your loss...

Worked on handquilting a Halloween lap quilt since I am couch-ridden for at last another day- tweaked my hamstring lifting/laying garden pavers. Started it on Tuesday and have quite a bit done on it- amazing what you can do when all you can do is sit around.

Posts: 1977 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Aug 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
Holly, I'm sorry to hear about your MIL. One of my co-workers just lost her MIL about a month ago & her FIL is having a really hard time without her. Prayers for your DH & the whole family.

Nicki

Posts: 8506 | Location: Texas / Zone 9 | Registered: Sep 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NYlady
posted Hide Post
All I did this week was alter a man's suit jacket so it looked like the one Jack Skellington wore in Nightmare before Christmas. Also made the huge bat tie. Just have to measure the guy's neck to put a band on it.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Staten Island, NY , USA | Registered: Sep 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bunnybcb
posted Hide Post
Holly, so sorry about your MIL. I haven't gotten any sewing done this week. DH retired a week ago and he has had new go with him to run numerous errands, getting his driver's license renewed, car emissions and trip to the tag office amount other things. I had cleaned up the sewing stuff, but now I need to pull it all out again and get started on getting projects finished before Thanksgiving gets here.

Posts: 1754 | Location: Georgia | Registered: Jul 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
My sympathy to those who have lost loved ones. Even when it is expected, it is not an easy time.

I may have shown you this when it was only a top. Now it has been quilted by my favorite longarmer and I have it bound.

Posts: 6640 | Registered: Nov 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
And here is a closer view of the top row with applique, which I did using the back basting method.

This is the only quilt that both of my kids want so I guess I'll make another one! I'll follow the same general design but probably use a few different blocks - but the applique row will need to be the same since that is the part that both kids like so well.

Oops! I forgot to attach the pic.

posted Hide Post
Mary Lou - your quilt is gorgeous! I love EVERY row!
Susan

Posts: 746 | Location: West Central Ohio, USA | Registered: Dec 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mary Lou that is so pretty. I hope you don't mind if a save the pictrue for my inspiration file. Thank you for sharing.

Holly, hugs to you.

Brandy
~There are pawprints on my heart.~
www.prairiepawsrescue.com

Posts: 5105 | Location: North Dakota! | Registered: Jul 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Mary Lou, that is indeed a lovely quilt and I can understand how they'd both want it.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6818 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elsie123
posted Hide Post
Beautiful quilt Mary Lou! Is that a snail on the appliqué right side? I'd love to tackle an appliqué project like that.

I've been working on my 12 Days of C'mas swap, and have almost 1/2 of them completed, 4 about half way completed, and a couple more to cut out. I really like that I'm using up several FQ's and pieces that haven't seen the light of day in quite awhile...and they still look good! (If I do say so myself...)

Posts: 1439 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Same here Elsie- I have 4 of my 12 days done and about 3/4 done with the rest.

Posts: 1977 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Aug 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
Mary Lou, the quilt is stunning! Are you going to use the same colors for the next one?

I got the nicest surprise in the mail. stm1804 made this mugrug for me. You are so right, Susan, laughing is so healthy! Those googly eyes were the first thing I saw, then I realized it's a mosquito! I've been really terrified of every flying insect since my bout of West Nile Virus. I kept wrapped up in the hospital and wear multiple layers when I get in the car. Thankfully we had a freeze this morning so they should have all died! Isn't this the cutest mugrug? Going right by my chair. Thank you ever so much. It's such a unique get well card that I'm going to enjoy showing off.

Posts: 7561 | Registered: Mar 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
The quilting is wonderful. Susan did beautiful cursive writing "Get back to Sewing Soon" The stitching of the applique is perfect too!

posted Hide Post
I just read the last 3 weeks threads! Thanks for all the good wishes, DH is feeling mostly better. DMIL passed quietly and without pain, which is what we wanted. She was 91.

Love the doll clothes! I have patterns and fabric, but no mojo!

Sherry, love the jacket! Moms that don't want pink make me laugh. Wait til the girl is old enough to demand pink!

Posts: 3016 | Registered: Jul 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Pretty quilt! LOVE the bug mug rug. I lived on the Texas Gulf Coast for seven years. Clute TX has an annual mosquito festival with a mascot mosquito called Henry Manchew - or something like that. I hated living down there!

Little kids' generic clothes patterns are pretty much gender neutral as long as you watch the front button/snap overlap. Isabel's pink jacket from a couple of weeks ago was a size 4. Colt's brown jacket is a size 3. Cain wears a 24 month, so he got the size 2. All are corduroy out of my stash.

When they get bigger, I'll have to get into my denim fabric.

Posts: 17365 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful quilt, Mary Lou. If I stand in line, can I have one? Sherry, love the coats. I used to make all my kids clothes including boys' suits. I did some for the grandkids, but I draw the line at the great grands. I'm tired!
And I understand your feelings about the TX Coast. We were stationed in Kingsville and Corpus Christi. They were good years since my boys were born there, but I was glad to leave! Between the heat and the bugs, I was a wreck!
I have 2 quilts at the longarmers, so maybe I'll have something to talk about in a few weeks.

Posts: 1070 | Location: Smoky Mountains TN | Registered: Oct 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sew Happy
posted Hide Post
Nothing to show this week but today was my quilt groups playday and I pinned two wallhangings and cut out three quilts to work on at camp in a couple of weeks. I consider it a very productive day!

Keep calm and carry on

Life is good!!!
Patty (KD0ICU)
In God We Trust

http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j66/PattyannC/

Posts: 1776 | Location: In the northwoods of Minnesota | Registered: Aug 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mary Lou- love the quilt you just made and know your kids will love it too. Great job. I did not sew anything this week because I was in Las Vegas. I had a great time, went on a quilt hop to 4 shops and brought home new kits and fabric for Pattyj and myself. Should have fun working with the new fabric. Sue

Posts: 1607 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muggomuggo
posted Hide Post
Mary Lou, your quilt is stunning!!

Love the 'skeeter' mugrug!

my philosophy: there are no real mistakes in quilting, just design opportunities!!

Posts: 4607 | Location: maybe Texas someday | Registered: Jul 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
I love all the projects this week. I quit doing garment sewing a long time ago so I really appreciate seeing the jackets.

Thanks for all the nice comments about my quilt. Brandy, I am honored that you want to use my quilt for inspiration. Yes, elsie, that is a snail. I think the snail and the turtle were a lot of the reason that Lynn and David both liked this quilt. When I do the next one, I will use the same colors but not necessarily the same fabrics. I'll probably also change some of the block designs just for some variety.

Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
KYIS, I wouldn't even attempt those jackets. great job.
Pvillelou, Really pretty quilts Lots of work TFS
Evelyn, wish the skeeters could read. That is so cute. TFS
Here is what I sewed this week, the PJ Party bowl. DH used it for holding his cold icecream bowl and said it worked great.

Posts: 8219 | Location: Kenosha Wi USA | Registered: Sep 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Handie Ann
posted Hide Post
This is what I have been working on. The first is a table runner all from stash. This is what happens when you don't follow directions for the Spicy Salsa table runner.

Handie Ann

Posts: 3602 | Location: Des Moines, Wa. USA | Registered: Jan 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Handie Ann
posted Hide Post
I did not make this top. I'm quilting it for a very dear friend of my SIL. She is in her mid 80's and the top was made by her DGM about 75 years ago and she has always wanted to see it quilted. The top is all hand done and if I could do hand quilting I would have done it by hand but I don't hand quilt. It really should be done by hand.

Handie Ann

Posts: 3602 | Location: Des Moines, Wa. USA | Registered: Jan 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
H. Ann,
Love that old quilt. The orange background is wonderful! Since it'll be a finished quilt the family will treasure it more. Unquilted tops are too often thrown out. That one will be treasured now and later. Good for you!
Evelyn

Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I have a lot of orange in one of my first quilts.

I agree with EvelynB. I've had people to ask me whether I thought they should take granny's hand pieced quilt top to a machine quilter. I always ask them would they rather have a completed quilt or a quilt top left in a trunk to never see a bed.

Since I am a hand quilter, if I had one of my GGMs hand pieced quilt top I would hand quilt it...MOF, I have. But if not, I'd rather have it machine quilted and usable than folded away.

Posts: 17365 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
My mail brought me another wonderful gift. Look at this awesome mugrug made by Rondi! I love the quilting of it and the writing is such fun! Thank you so much. Did you say this is your first mugrug??

Picture of quiltbea
posted Hide Post
I love checking this thread. So many cute things and lovely quilts get shown. Gives one inspiration.
Great job ladies.
I'll be back to quilting myself soon.
No illness, just bogged down with garden stuff from late winter to late fall.

Have a Good Day!

Posts: 13307 | Location: Southwestern Maine Zone 5 U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Downsouth
posted Hide Post
I hope I can get back to sewing too! I did make this pillow case to try and get back in the sewing mood. I only had enough fabric for one of them. It looks like flannel, but it's 100% cotton. I've had otitis media since 10/1. The doctor is finally going to do surgery on Monday to get the fluid out...can't wait to hear better again. I'm sure I will be more motivated then! Smile

Devonne

Posts: 15000 | Location: Georgia | Registered: Jan 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
Devonne, wishing you a successful surgery and quick recovery. I'll be thinking healing thoughts for you. Pat Neat pillowcase.

Posts: 8219 | Location: Kenosha Wi USA | Registered: Sep 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bunnybcb
posted Hide Post
Devonne, T and P's for your upcoming surgery and speedy recovery. I just received some fabric from Fabric.com to make 2 AU pillowcases for 2 GKs for Christmas. One is a senior this year and her brother will be a freshman next year. Love looking at everyone's projects. I laughed out loud when I saw the mosquito! I do want to make the bowl holder. I always have to have a napkin or something between my hand and a bowl.

Posts: 1754 | Location: Georgia | Registered: Jul 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post