Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Question re: Cross-Body Bag Strap Length
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question re: Cross-Body Bag Strap Length Sign In/Join 
Picture of Susan-TN
posted
I have fallen in love with the mini-professional tote bag that I recently made! This is one bag that really works for me in so many ways!

I've been looking at purchasing a cross-body bag for a trip later this year, when it suddenly dawned on me- why not make another mini-professional tote with cross-body straps! The only question is- I don't know how long I need to make the straps. This will be the very first time that I've tried anything like this, so if anyone can help me with how long the straps should be, I'd be extremely grateful!

Happy Stitching All!
Susan

Posts: 663 | Location: East TN | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PatV82
posted Hide Post
I love all types of these bags. Find one of your purses with the longest strap. Put something really heavy in it, then try it on. Where does it ride on your hip? Camera straps and luggage straps are also good trials to see which is the most comfortable.
I like a wide strap. I would recommend a purse strap stabilizer (Nancy Ziemann) or other stiff lining. If you can, share a photo with us so we can oooooh and aaaaah.

www.pinterest.com/patv82

personallybypat.tumblr.com

Posts: 489 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: Jan 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MountainLaurel
posted Hide Post
Have a friend use a tape measure and hold you tote where you would want it to be and have your friend measure the length of the strap.

Carolyn

http://harrisburgcof2013.shutterfly.com/pictures

Our lives are like quilts - bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love.

Posts: 2315 | Location: somewhere in my fabric stash | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of quilting wifey
posted Hide Post
My purchased crossover purse (small one) has a 46 inch strap.

I have used purchased nylon webbing for straps and really like it. The 2 inch stays in position on my better than the 1 inch.

I made a mini-pro bag and like it but later took the center pouch out because it didn't fit my IPad easily. If I make another one, I would put that pouch on the side instead of smack in the middle, in that case, I would use the outer bag pattern pieces for the lining also. The only thing I didn't like about the bag/straps is the second strap always falls off the shoulder. I would try to figure a way to use one from the sides if I can.

Madelyn

Posts: 6190 | Location: SE MN | Registered: Jan 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Take into consideration your size. If a little skinny anorexic looking size 000 wore a cross over bag that I made, it would hang down to her knees. Wink

Just take your mini tote and some twine, ribbon, webbing, etc. and pin one end to your tote. Then drape it over your body and adjust to the tote to where it suits you and pin it there. Walk around the house and decide if you like it there...making adjustments. Then, measure from pin to pin and allow a bit for sewing in/on.

Posts: 17255 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bunnybcb
posted Hide Post
Can someone show a picture of the mini pro bag, or a link so I can see what it looks like? Thanks. I so need to wear a cross body bag, just can't keep a shoulder bag from falling off my shoulder.

Posts: 1736 | Location: Georgia | Registered: Jul 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bunnybcb

Here is the one I made, it is not a small bag. It measures something like 12" x 14". I like mine for holding all the stuff for the trip including my small purchased pouch/crossbody purse. Then when I need to go into shops or somewhere, I grab the small purse and go, but all the other "necessities" are in the big one still in the car.

Madelyn

Posts: 6190 | Location: SE MN | Registered: Jan 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If any of you are using webbing for straps, I have a candle in my sewing room so I can light it, then run the ends of the webbing through the flame top to keep them from raveling. Less webbing to fold over or to zigzag the edges. One time through the flame top and it is done. Makes it nice looking finish on it but that end is always next to the project so it doesn't show to the public.

Madelyn

Picture of toryam
posted Hide Post
Make sure u can reach the stuff that's in the very bottom of the bag without having to hitch your bag up with the other hand!!!! Amhik: I have a bag that needs it's straps shortened, lol

Posts: 4088 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: Aug 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
I'm hesitant to give a length because most of the bags I've seen are too long for shortie me. I only have one that's in the ballpark.

I'd suggest taking a bag of any kind that is about the same size, pinning a cord to it, draping it over your body, and pinning the other end where it feels comfy. Then unpin one end & measure the distance with a tape measure. (Or if you have a fabric tape measure, use that as the test strap.)

Posts: 6003 | Location: About 28,000 Light Years From Galactic Center | Registered: Jul 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bunnybcb
posted Hide Post
Thanks Quilting Wifey, your bag is really nice. I think I want one a little smaller, but most of the ones I have seen are too small, or too large. That's the beauty of making your own, you can make it "just right", (like Goldilocks).

Posts: 1736 | Location: Georgia | Registered: Jul 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sewnso
posted Hide Post
Google mini tote and you will find lots of them.

If life hands you scraps make quilts

Posts: 3065 | Location: Southern BC, Canada | Registered: Sep 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a bag with a sliding buckle on it to make the strap short enough to hold in your hand, hand on your shoulder or longest to put across your body.
Wanda

Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of amaryllis6
posted Hide Post
That's what I say too. Make it adjustable with a slide buckle on the strap and can be moved or lengthened to your needs.

Posts: 1379 | Location: coast of Louisiana zone 9 | Registered: Mar 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post