Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Does anyone still wear shoulderpads.....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone still wear shoulderpads..... Sign In/Join 
posted
I have such sloped shoulders that I still wear shoulder pads-the end about 1/2" thick- they make my clothes look so much better, I was wondering if anyone else still wear them?

Wanda

Posts: 1729 | Registered: Jul 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JudyTX
posted Hide Post
I still wear them if they are attached to shirts/tops that I buy. I bet we're not the only ones who still wear them.

Posts: 2485 | Location: EastTX | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
Some of my new clothes have them. Mine are a lot thinner & softer than they were in the 90's.

I still have a box of the old ones in my closet. I clipped them out of things or un-Velcro'ed them. The worst ones were pads that you couldn't remove, so they came out of the wash in a wad. Then you'd be tugging on the foam & the cover to get them to line up again.

Posts: 5449 | Location: About 28,000 Light Years From Galactic Center | Registered: Jul 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post
Sometimes I do and sometimes I need them as the neckline is too low or the shoulders need balancing for the rest of me so I make-shift them.

Posts: 9465 | Location: Always Moving A Bit | Registered: Jan 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
No, I don't wear them anymore but I probably should. My purse (shoulder bag) ALWAYS slips off my shoulder & it drives me crazy. I guess my shoulders slope too much. Frown

Nicki

Posts: 7943 | Location: Texas / Zone 9 | Registered: Sep 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
yep...need them to fill out that part of my shoulder to make sleeve hang correctly.

"It's bad to supress laughter. It goes back down and spreads to your hips."

Posts: 8436 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Nope. I have always cut them out of dresses and blouses. I leave in in well-constructed jackets.

But I've always been broad shouldered. Back in my skinny days I had to buy/make blouses one size larger than my skirts/slacks/jeans.

Posts: 16574 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do,thinner one's now. I think they look niceer to balance me out as I age Frown Sigh

May
"In Michigan"

Posts: 9928 | Location: Michigan,up North,the west side of Perfect | Registered: Sep 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sue Stitches
posted Hide Post
I don't though my bras straps keep falling down.

"Inside every Girl Gone Wild is a quilt loving grandma waiting to come out" - Gabriel Rutledge

Posts: 548 | Location: Northern California  | Registered: Jan 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shawana
posted Hide Post
I don't purposely put them in. If they are already in when I buy a top then I leave them in. But I've always liked shoulder pads!

Shawn

"Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best."

~ Live Well ~ Love Much ~ Laugh Often ~

http://www.flickr.com/photos/srtrn/sets/

Posts: 3564 | Location: WV | Registered: Dec 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NYlady
posted Hide Post
And I have always cut them out of shirts, jackets , etc. My doctor told me I have shoulders like a linebacker.. guess that's why I don't need them.

Posts: 3359 | Location: Staten Island, NY , USA | Registered: Sep 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bunnybcb
posted Hide Post
Most of my clothes don't have shoulder pads, but I wish they did. If I buy something and it has shoulder pads, I leave them in. I have sloping shoulders and can never keep my purse from falling off my shoulder. I like the idea of the shoulder strap on purses, but they don't work well for me. I keep thinking I'm going to get a cross-body purse, like my DD and DGD use, but you don't see many woman my age with them. I know, I should just get one anyway.

Posts: 1685 | Location: Georgia | Registered: Jul 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
bunnybcb, I have the same problem with a shoulder strap purse, I splurged on a 'coach'brand cross body bag and just love it,just enough room for tissues, keys, credit card and ID, figured if I am going to use one I am going to do it in style. A friend asked me if it was expensive and I told her'didn't care' I wanted it and I got it.

Wanda

Posts: 1729 | Registered: Jul 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think you have to be young for a cross-body bag. My MIL ALWAYS kept a purse with a long strap and carried it across her body. DM had one that wore out and I couldn't find one she liked. I finally looked for patterns online. Printed several. Of course she liked the most difficult pattern. LOL

Posts: 16574 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
There must be a trick to wearing a cross-body bag and positioning that strap. Every time I try to do it, it ends up looking like the Colorado River going through the Grand Canyon, IYKWIM.

Posts: 5449 | Location: About 28,000 Light Years From Galactic Center | Registered: Jul 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
bwahahahahahahahah!

You could put shoulder pads under the strap to fill in the valley....

Posts: 8436 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
Down in the valley
The valley so low
Hang your head over
Hear the wind blow

Big Grin

Not stuffing anything in there. A few girls in my jr. high class tried that with disastrous results... Eek

Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
If something has them in, I do. If not, I don't... Chris

Posts: 5874 | Location: Tampa Bay | Registered: Jan 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
quote:
A few girls in my jr. high class tried that with disastrous results...

I did too...the wadded kleenex fell out....

The winner from the last run way (good grief, forgot her name already!) could quilt you a leather chest plate...

Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nancyc20,

Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
LOL - I know who you're thinking of. She can make them flat, but can she make them in 3-D? Big Grin

Picture of Kim - Strut526
posted Hide Post
I think they give a more tapered look i guess. i have them in a few light jackets..but i rarely get dressed up anymore.
speaking of falling bra straps, my friend bought this silicone piece that fits over your bra strap on the shoulder, she is big/heavy busted and she needed some relief from the indents the weight was causing..she says they work good, let me try one at quilt group.not to bad really.

Posts: 11810 | Location: Taylor, Mi. | Registered: Sep 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My cousin - 2-3 years older - went to the lake with us. She had a darling swimsuit but the top was bigger than she was. Her mother gave her some pads to help fill out the suit. The guys ogled her!

Well, those pads were foam. As soon as her bust hit the water - blup-blup - they popped up and out! LOL Every time we get together that story still "pops" up! Smile

Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
On the night I was born (I came early) my parents weren't packed and ready to go to the hospital...my dad raced around and rummaged through drawers to pack mom's suitcase. He came up with a pair of shoulder pads and asked my mom if she needed to take them...Smile

Sherry: I'm screaming!!!

Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nancyc20,

Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nancyc20:
He came up with a pair of shoulder pads

WOW - they had shoulder pads that long ago?!?! Razz

Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
Those were the original ones!

Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
Well you did say you were born EARLY... Big Grin

I had a "Wow, I feel old" moment recently. My 30-something neighbor guy & I were talking. I mentioned that I had a rotary-dial phone in the garage. He said he wanted to see it & wanted to show it to his son! OK, so now everyday objects we took for granted are museum-type curiosities to the younger generations. Roll Eyes

I would have probably really blown his mind if I had mentioned that my stereo has an 8-track tape player in it! Razz

Picture of pinecone476
posted Hide Post
I am laughing here. I ditched the shoulder pads long ago but loved the bathing suit storry, Sherry. A friend of mine had a suit in HS that had a built in bra, which she didn't fill out. She would turn her torso but the suit stayed in place. Sometimes the bra would be under her arm. What a hoot.
Starry, we still have a rotary dial at the cottage(harvest gold), stopped the landline service last year but the phone remains. At least the step-grands tried it out while it worked.
Thanks for the chuckle, Nancy, at least your dad was trying to be helpful.

piney

Posts: 3114 | Location: New England, U.S.A. | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bunnybcb
posted Hide Post
Love all the stories about the swim suits.
Wanda, I'm going to have to seriously look for a cross body purse. My DD loves Coach and usually finds one on sale, but it still costs more than I pay for my purses. I do have a Sax purse that I've been using for several years that was given to me by a co-worker before I retired. But it's the shoulder strap style and keeps falling off my shoulder. Years ago, when the shoulder pads were thick, I could make sure the strap would be far enough on my shoulder so it would get sort of hooked on the shoulder pad. Course you kind of looked like a linebacker with those shoulders.

Posts: 1685 | Location: Georgia | Registered: Jul 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post