Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  UPDATE on auntie's quilt: TOP IS DONE!!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UPDATE on auntie's quilt: TOP IS DONE!! Sign In/Join 
posted
The top is finished and I will post a photo tomorrow!

I have all the blocks and am sewing it all together tomorrow! YIPPEE!!!

Below is what I Originally Posted. The response has been overwhelming! You ladies are so kind. Your offers of cards, bears, sweets hats and more in addition to the blocks have been unbelievable. My aunt will be so surprised.

Owie has generously offered a beautiful quilt top in addition to my aunties blocks. I simply cried tears of joy and tears of (dont' know the right word) when I read all of the posts and owies. With her permission and blessing (we think alike), I am going to finish the extra top and send it along as well for Lola, my aunties best friend who is always there for her. Lola takes her places, visits her, loves here, reads the scriptures to her, and is just her friend. She is not a paid caregiver of any sort, just a friend. This will be a wonderful way to let her know she is loved and appreciated too! Once again, thank you all so much! After the quilts are finished I will take photos and post them here for all to see. Also, with your permission, I would like to include a list of all your board names and states with the quilts. Well, time for another tissue....

Thanks to you all!

My Auntie Jan lives in Nebraska at an assisted living facility, so she has a mini apartment. It is very cold there and lots of snow. Growing up, she was always there for me when my mom was ill. She was my fun auntie! Decorated for every holiday, played with me etc... I still remember her holiday parties! We skype and chat (she is now like a child mentally, but still exceptionally happy and loves Je*us with all her heart) She has 1 close friend. I always mail her a card, but don't usually send a gift. This year while skyping on Christmas, she told me that she and her friend, Lola, were not able to exchange gifts this year due to finances. Lola received gifts from her children, My auntie didn't get a single gift at all, from any one. She didn't complain, only know because one of my kids, said what did you get for Christmas. Her only son, was removed from her home many, many years ago for HER safety. I would like to send her a quilt. She collects

Teddy bears and Strawberries.

My thought is if anyone would like to send a 6 or 12 inch block, I will put it together, and send her a special gift. I would like to make a whole one from scratch but the time just isn't there.

Blocks could be applique, pieced, whatever, so long as they are able to be washed once in the quilt.

If you have time and would like to participate, PLEASE PM ME!
Blessings,
Sandra

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ilovemy4kids,

Posts: 531 | Location: Kansas | Registered: Dec 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Catwmn27
posted Hide Post
Sandra: I would be honored to make a block for your aunt's quilt. Just let me know what you need.

Nancy

Posts: 200 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nancy, Thank you so much! Just any 6 or 12 inch block (6 1/2 or 12 1/2 unfinished), with teddy bears, strawberries, or both. Can be pieced with novelty fabrics, applique, whatever you want to do...no restrictions other than it has to be able to be washed when in the full quilt. Smile
Blessings
Sandra

Posts: 531 | Location: Kansas | Registered: Dec 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jacky
posted Hide Post
I can send a couple.How about we do a pick me up kinda cheery card shower too???

" My bucket list bucket has a hole and it's leaking time"

Posts: 8995 | Location: usually not where I need to be. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KaylaQuilts
posted Hide Post
I would love to help out do you have a color preference for the background? Also, what due date are you thinking? I love the idea of sending cheer cards I'm sure that even if someone isn't able to make a block they could send a card. Let us know detail Smile

Kayla

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream"
-Edgar Allan Poe-

Posts: 767 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: Jan 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elsie123
posted Hide Post
I'll be glad to send a block to you. I also like the idea of sending cards to her. That could be something she's getting on-going before her quilt gets there.

Posts: 1441 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wiley
posted Hide Post
I have Teddy Bears(novelty type)not sure about stawberries, have to check my stash. When do you need these?

Posts: 4462 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
Sue and I could make a block and easy to send a card. I'll tell Sue she volunteered. LOL
Pat

Posts: 8288 | Location: Kenosha Wi USA | Registered: Sep 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would happily do a block or two for you. Please PM us with the info....when do you want, what background color, etc.

Thanks, and good luck!

Posts: 2070 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: Dec 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltnanny
posted Hide Post
I would be delighted to make a block. I suggest for anyone who will send a card to also mention where they are from.
will wait for the details.

Posts: 4453 | Location: Fabricologist Resource Center, NH | Registered: Mar 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AngelaC
posted Hide Post
Of course! Smile

Posts: 4733 | Registered: Apr 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rainbow
posted Hide Post
I'll send a block with pleasure!

======================
l would be unstopable IF l could get started!!!

Posts: 9619 | Location: NW AR, Home of the Razorbacks! | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Will Quilt for Chocolate
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure I have either type fabric in my stash, but I could get some easy enough!!! Just interested in the deadline also!

Posts: 5073 | Registered: May 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of native Texan
posted Hide Post
I pm'd you. I'd love to make a block or two. also make a good sewn in label for the quilt with her name clearly on it. things tend to get lost easily. I am sure she will be very pleased.

CC

Posts: 4707 | Location: 1,000 miles from home | Registered: Apr 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TerryOH
posted Hide Post
I would sew the label on before it is quilted, also sew 2 of the sides to the quilt when you sew the bindings. That will make it extremely hard to remove.

TerryOH

Posts: 2434 | Location: OH | Registered: Nov 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aww...you are all so sweet and kind to do this. Jacky, I LOVE the idea of a card shower. She would love that. Hmmm....as for a deadline, what if we said end of January? That way I could get it put together and sent by mid February. Valentines was always one of her favorite holiday. That would give everyone a month to complete the block. Is that enough time? I will pm everyone with her address for cards and my address for blocks. Smile

posted Hide Post
Terry, great thoughts about the label, I will do exactly as you have suggested. Smile

Picture of Omma5
posted Hide Post
I'll be more than happy to make a block for you and send a card as well. AND...if you would like...I'd be happy to make a label for the quilt with my embroidery machine. Just let me know what you want it to say and I'll go from there.

I'll be waiting for your PM...

Posts: 4260 | Location: New York | Registered: Feb 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bjeannes
posted Hide Post
I will be happy to make one or more blocks for her. Please PM me with your address

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Posts: 1812 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: Feb 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 10 1/2 inch orphan block that has appliqued butterflies on it. I know you asked for 6 1/2 and 12 1/2 but I would love to send this if you can use it. It is a leftover from my granddaughter's quilt. If you cannot use it I will understand.

Posts: 15330 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
You betcha!!!! Sending Pm for address to send it to.

Nancy

Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nancyc20,

"It's bad to supress laughter. It goes back down and spreads to your hips."

Posts: 9063 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NICUnurse
posted Hide Post
I would love to help also! Please pm me all the info. Thanks!

PamSmile

Posts: 5914 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: Jan 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
Found this picture on Pintrest. We're never too young to love a bear!!!

"It's bad to supress laughter. It goes back down and spreads to your hips."

Posts: 9063 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twostep
posted Hide Post
Lovely idea. Please send me the info.

Posts: 6797 | Location: Bubbleland | Registered: Sep 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Catwmn27
posted Hide Post
Sandra: are there any particular colors that your Auntie likes? Would you prefer a specific background color? Will get to work right away.

Posts: 200 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Will send out the addresses tomorrow after work..... PrivTe messages are giving me a fit at the moment. Background could be any sort of white or off white. She loves red. I figure I will sash the blocks somehow in a creative way. Really any size block would be fine...so not limited to 6 or 12 inch. I would respond to all tonight, but heading to bed!

posted Hide Post
I'm glad to join in on this. I, too, don't think I have bears or strawberries in my stash... guess I'll have to go shopping!!
I would love to send your Aunt a card, also.
Will keep watch of the addresses from you.

Posts: 2317 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Apr 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fayejean
posted Hide Post
I would love to help. Please send addresses.

Posts: 530 | Location: MI | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of native Texan
posted Hide Post
I found my left over scraps of strawberry batik print. pink on a sort of blue background. lovely. now what to make with it...

CC

Posts: 4707 | Location: 1,000 miles from home | Registered: Apr 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sent a pm to everyone above this post with the info! Except Angela C...it wouldn't let me pm you!

Picture of Sue Stitches
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ilovemy4kids:
Sent a pm to everyone above this post with the info! Except Angela C...it wouldn't let me pm you!

Will send you a PM, I'm sure I can come up with s paper pieced or appliqué strawberry.

Posts: 1198 | Location: Northern California  | Registered: Jan 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AngelaC
posted Hide Post
Sent you a PM...maybe you can reply to that.

Posts: 4733 | Registered: Apr 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlueSkies7
posted Hide Post
I would love to help out. Please send me a pm too. I will look through the stash. I am in the process of moving it, so who knows what I will find. LOL Would love to send cards. Worked for several years in a nursing home, I know first hand what this can mean to someone there.
PS. The nursing home I worked in was located in Lincoln, Nebraska.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BlueSkies7,

Posts: 293 | Location: Northeast Alabama | Registered: Jul 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
Please count me in as well. Love the idea of cards as they will make the holidays much nicer...and then a grand surprise on Valentines Day...how great!! Wonderful idea!
Hugs

Posts: 4644 | Location: Alabama | Registered: Nov 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MountainLaurel
posted Hide Post
Please send me the addresses too. I would love to help out.

Carolyn

http://harrisburgcof2013.shutterfly.com/pictures

Our lives are like quilts - bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love.

Posts: 2320 | Location: somewhere in my fabric stash | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of native Texan
posted Hide Post
thanks, I got the mailing info. Now off to work!

CC

posted Hide Post
You quilters never cease to amaze me. As a group we must be the most compassionate and giving people I know! I included myself as I am a quilter Smile

I am so happy that you have gotten such a nice response to your request. How fun this will be for your aunt and the staff at the facility.

Posts: 2070 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: Dec 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kjstrouble
posted Hide Post
I am not sure I could get a block done, because of a move (and the mess) I do not currently have access to a sewing machine. But I would love to send her a card.

Posts: 2182 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: Jun 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found 3 more orphan blocks to send. I also have a quilt top that is so colorful that someone found in the scrap box at out quilting retreat and gave it to me. I would love to send that to you. It needs quilted and binding. I see nothing wrong with it. Guess someone did not like the colors. She may as well use it and enjoy it. Would that be alright with you?

Posts: 15330 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would like to send you a block, and would love to send her a card. Been missing over the holiday, but I'm here now.

Jackie

Posts: 854 | Location: SE MN | Registered: Feb 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Owie,I would love your orphan blocks and the top. I know auntie jan would love them both.

I will pm all waiting in just a bit... just got home from work and need to see the hubby for a bit. I missed him all day! Smile

posted Hide Post
Great. You go ahead and see hubby for a bit. They are very important to take care of too.

Picture of sewandsew
posted Hide Post
Last year I made a quilt with strawberry fabric and found enough to put a block together. It's a bit bright and scrappy. PM me where to send

Posts: 608 | Location: Home | Registered: Sep 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lionpride
posted Hide Post
Haven't sewed for awhile and have some projects to finish and not sure how rusty my piecing is but was wondering if she would like a crocheted hat? If you see this thread, you can see the hats I make and chose with or without earflaps and colors. Would also like to send a card. I can send hat separate with card or if there is a little something else that she likes?

http://boards.hgtv.com/eve/for...1104423/m/7533937477
Please let me know

Posts: 908 | Location: Michigan | Registered: Dec 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kentucky_Sunshine
posted Hide Post
Count me in as well, this is near and dear to my heart...sending you a pm

" Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.. "

Posts: 7155 | Location: "Across the ocean blue amongst the wildflower's & honeydews" | Registered: Aug 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of native Texan
posted Hide Post
OH! I love those crocheted crosses. Perhaps one of those could be made. (not by me, don't crochet)

CC

posted Hide Post
I'm in for a 12" block. Sent a PM. Any special colors?

Posts: 432 | Registered: Jan 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motqltr
posted Hide Post
I would like to help; can you pm me? I think I still have your addy from the COF RR.
When do you want the blocks?

http://flickr.com/photos/motqltr
~Don't assume people have a plan; they might be waiting for you to tell them the plan!~

Posts: 3687 | Location: southeast, Washington, USA | Registered: May 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wannaquilt2
posted Hide Post
I'll make a block or two as well. Sending you PM for address. My mother is in a facility too so this touches my heart.

"We are all here.....because we are not all there."

Posts: 1942 | Location: Hither & Yon | Registered: Sep 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of native Texan
posted Hide Post
OK, I just mailed off two blocks and a mug rug. I made a 16 patch block, also known as a four patch. 4 across and 4 down. I had strips of scraps I could cut 3 1/2 inchs so I used them for that. then the left over strip I made into a hexagon mug rug. sealed the envelope and put out for the mailman. Then found four hst's left over from my Chevron quilt and quickly made those into a pin wheel block and cut a slit into the mailing envelope and stuffed that into it. whew! I made it though. I put two dollar stamps and three forever ones. Hope that's enough postage!!

CC