Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Friday Question Sign In/Join 
Picture of Shauna's crafty quilter
posted
The Holidays are coming faster each year I swear! First Halloween and then not far behind is Thanksgiving and before you know it Christmas!! Such a busy time to. I do love this time of year but each year I promise myself that I am going to slow down and enjoy the seasons. Doesn't always work but worth trying. What are some of your secrets for quick homemade gifts for family members? Men are always the hardest!! Maybe we can help each other out! And just maybe we can enjoy this time of year!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars!!"

Posts: 3438 | Location: hopefully at my sewing machine | Registered: Apr 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kentucky_Sunshine
posted Hide Post
Good question...for men my easy out is always to feed them, I make them a little kit in a small toolbox or shaving kit , little tin or seasonal box, or something similar, then add little things like beef jerky, their favourite chocolate or gum, homemade cookies or muffins, sometimes a DVD or book, microwave popcorn...just something personal that I know they will enjoy and eat!

If I don't really know them that well, I'll do a personalised cup holder sleeve type thingy, wrap it around a insulated stainless steel cup with a handle, and if I really like them I'll include a gift certificate at their fav. Coffee place tucked inside the cup or attached to the bow.

Of course quilts are always a hit, but they aren't quick...lol

This year I am making the microwave bowl holders...potato bags...and tortilla bags and bags for warming breads, rolls, or pancakes in the microwave...

Teenage girls love the curling iron, straightener pouches...I find teenage boys hard to make for ...lol

Looking forward to seeing what everyone else makes... There are heaps more i make, but my mind has wandered off...lol

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kentucky_Sunshine,

" Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.. "

Posts: 7125 | Location: "Across the ocean blue amongst the wildflower's & honeydews" | Registered: Aug 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wiley
posted Hide Post
good for the ones who do homemade gifts. I've reached the stage of Gift Cards and dinner out.

Posts: 4455 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shauna's crafty quilter
posted Hide Post
Great ideas!! I think I'll be using one of those. We do a man gift and a woman gift for Hubbies side and draw numbers. You got me thinking about a BBQ apron, tools and maybe some sauces!! Thank you!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars!!"

Posts: 3438 | Location: hopefully at my sewing machine | Registered: Apr 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
More masculine ideas:

Scarves -- either fleece or a non-itchy wool blend of some sort. For hunters, one from blaze orange fleece or camo.

I've done travel pillows (purchased) in homemade pillowcases with team logos on them. Found team flannel that time.

Posts: 6126 | Location: About 28,000 Light Years From Galactic Center | Registered: Jul 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
For women, you can do a travel set with a travel pillow & pillowcase, a zip pouch of some size, a jewelry pouch or roll, the curling iron pouch (have seen them made from pot holders), and a purse-size Kleenex cover. Even a little wallet or reward card holder would be good. There are tons of accessory patterns & ideas out there for women.

Posts: 6126 | Location: About 28,000 Light Years From Galactic Center | Registered: Jul 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kentucky_Sunshine
posted Hide Post
I found these on the site that twostep posted with all the tutorials...so many possibilities!

http://news.holidash.com/2011/...iy-fathers-day-gift/

I love these and could use one myself!

http://www.georgialeigh.com/?p=517

And these, especially with Caleb on road trips

http://qualitysewingtutorials....bag-tutorial-by.html

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kentucky_Sunshine,

" Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.. "

Posts: 7125 | Location: "Across the ocean blue amongst the wildflower's & honeydews" | Registered: Aug 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
I made my DGD one of those CD holders for her car and she loved it, used it until she crashed the car. It got towed away. Wonder if she wants another one?? Good idea.

Posts: 8221 | Location: Kenosha Wi USA | Registered: Sep 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post