Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  2014 Dare To Be Ugly Challenge! - Tuesday deadline... 11:59 pm Eastern time
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2014 Dare To Be Ugly Challenge! - Tuesday deadline... 11:59 pm Eastern time Sign In/Join 
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted
Welcome to the 2014 dare To be Ugly Challenge!

Nancy... Your fabric was mailed yesterday.. If you want it to be a surprise, do not scroll down to the photo. Smile

Photos of the creations will be due to me by April 15, 2014 so this will give you a little over 2 1/2 more months to make something with the fabric.

You will be able to use any and all other fabrics you wish in your creation but you will not be allowed to use more of the ugly fabric for your creation than the allotted 1/2 yard.

You will be required to use 75% of the ugly fabric and it has to be used in its current condition. You may not dye it to change its looks... You can however, cut it up in to as small of pieces as you wish but I must be able to see it in your creation.

Creations can be anything you want to make.. In the past we have had aprons, quilts, cat beds, purses, dolls..and more... The sky is the limit!

Participants:

wenonah
SeeingStars
alexemmarose
sister sue
Rondiquilts
SueStitches
Shirlwin
Cr8tve1
irish62
patty j
needlecrazy
motqltr
Quilter Jen
GaAngel97
nancyc20
aliquilt

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Quiltaholic,

www.pigtalesandquilts.com
www.crazyquiltingsupplies.com

Crazy Quilting is addictive so we just have to STITCH IT OUT LOUD!

Posts: 25891 | Location: USA | Registered: Oct 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
Q, Sure hope that you are feeling better. That fabric doesn't look so very ugly in the picture.But I still haven't thought of what to do with it. By tax day, I will have something finished. Sue hasn't called today, so I'm thinking she is making something with the "Ugly" Smile

Posts: 8221 | Location: Kenosha Wi USA | Registered: Sep 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
I wasn't going to look, but then my finger slipped. This is a CHALLENGE fabric!!! I love the colors though! Smile

"It's bad to supress laughter. It goes back down and spreads to your hips."

Posts: 9037 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of needlecrazy
posted Hide Post
It's one of my all time favorite books -- Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak. I think the fabric is adorable! Thanks Q!

"Laughter is timeless; imagination has no age, and dreams are forever." Walt Disney

Posts: 6678 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: Jun 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shequilts
posted Hide Post
Oh I love the fabric. All elementary teachers would love to have something in their classroom made from this material. Love it Love it.

Sew, sew, and sew some more that's my motto!

Posts: 741 | Location: Eaton, OH  | Registered: Apr 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I, too, love the subject of this print but...what to make???

Posts: 3579 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sue Stitches
posted Hide Post
I love it too. We have a Wild Things day in my class and we practice gnashing our terrible teeth and roaring our terrible roars. Let the wild rumpus start!

Posts: 1130 | Location: Northern California  | Registered: Jan 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
Irish62
SeeingStars
Wenonah
nancyc20

I sent you back your refunds this morning via Paypal using the email address on the receipt. Let me know when you retrieve it please. Smile

I think this gets all of the refunds done. If you paid via Paypal and your name isn't listed, please let me know.

I think everyone who sent cash or check got their refund with their fabric.... right?

Posts: 25891 | Location: USA | Registered: Oct 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Patty j recognized the fabric right away , along with both her boys, who are now in their 40's. We use to read this book to them all the time and they loved it. I have not decided what I will make with the fabric, but it should be special. Think I will give it to one of my nephews, who knew the fabric at a glance. LOL Sue

Posts: 1610 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Q, my refund came, thank you. I'm still thinking on the ugly. My brain just doesn't want to come up with something. Pooh! Jackie

Posts: 854 | Location: SE MN | Registered: Feb 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
My refund came too, thank you! I know what to do with my fabric! Smile

Posts: 9037 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
Sue! You are just too sweet! I received a squishie from you today with some of the ugly fabric inside. Thank you so much!

Now I can play too. Smile

Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
yea!!!!!! Smile

Picture of irish62
posted Hide Post
I love this fabric!
I have already started my project.
I am pretty excited about this.
Thanks Q

Posts: 2529 | Location: batavia ny | Registered: Sep 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
YES! It's ugly/cute! I'm looking at it and holding it with my own 2 hands. Whoohoo! Worth waiting for. I know exactly what to do with it. Thanks Q!!!! Smile

Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
I am very glad that this envelope made it.. Now we are all accounted for. Smile

Picture of Sue Stitches
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Quiltaholic:
Sue! You are just too sweet! I received a squishie from you today with some of the ugly fabric inside. Thank you so much!

Now I can play too. Smile

You are welcome! Didn't seem right for you not to play too. Thank you for hosting the challenge.

Posts: 1130 | Location: Northern California  | Registered: Jan 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of irish62
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2529 | Location: batavia ny | Registered: Sep 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cr8tve1
posted Hide Post
I am almost finished.

Posts: 3317 | Location: Virginia Beach, VA USA | Registered: Apr 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
wow!

Picture of irish62
posted Hide Post

Picture of Sue Stitches
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking deep quilty thoughts - no sewing yet thoughSmile

Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
I cut one small piece...

Picture of Shirlwin
posted Hide Post
I know what I intend doing ... just haven't started yet.

Posts: 459 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: Apr 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I have a plan. Just have to make sure I have enough of the ugly to pull it off. LOL Sue

Posts: 1610 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I did have enough fabric and my project is now almost done. Still need to do some quilting. It does not look so ugly now. LOL
Hope everyone is having fun with their fabric. Sue

Picture of Cr8tve1
posted Hide Post
My daughter loved the fabric as well.

Posts: 3317 | Location: Virginia Beach, VA USA | Registered: Apr 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motqltr
posted Hide Post
I honestly love this; enjoyed the book as a kid and read the book to my children. I have picked some coordinating fabs; think I have a pattern selected; just need to be home long enough to sew.

http://flickr.com/photos/motqltr
~Don't assume people have a plan; they might be waiting for you to tell them the plan!~

Posts: 3674 | Location: southeast, Washington, USA | Registered: May 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SeeingStars
posted Hide Post
OK ... I have enough of a vague initial plan to get started. Once I've used up enough of my ugly fabric, I'll plan the next step. Smile I'm off to press a few fabrics and start cutting! Fingers crossed that this will work.

Posts: 3670 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: Dec 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SeeingStars
posted Hide Post
Hi Thearica,
Sorry, I am just now catching up on the previous posts. I did receive the refund.

Posts: 3670 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: Dec 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SeeingStars
posted Hide Post
My plan for this fabric is working. Smile I wish I could share a photo, but I'm assuming our hostess prefers that we send them all straight to her before or at the deadline. I'll do my best to behave.

Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
You better behave. lol

I know where you live. ha! Smile

Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
Let's have a roll call to see who all have cut in to their fabric. Smile

Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
I haven't cut IT yet, just the other fabric. I could wash it tonight. Step at a time... I actually have never read the book. maybe I need to get it from Amazon.

Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nancyc20,

Picture of Cr8tve1
posted Hide Post
I was on a roll and almost finished and then stopped to do other projects. I need to get back to finishing.

posted Hide Post
No plan, no cutting-- sore and tired. Tiling, floor laying, etc., haven't even finished my local quilt shops second Saturday block yet.

Posts: 1977 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Aug 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SeeingStars
posted Hide Post
Oh yes, I've cut mine. I've kept a pile of ugly scraps in case I need a little more. Wink
I worked on my project last night while listening to an audio book. It was fun and relaxing.

Picture of motqltr
posted Hide Post
I haven't cut yet; still have walking foot on my machine. Will finish the walking foot project; then I having piecing, guess I have to cute b4 I can piece. Hope to dedicate tomorrow morning to sewing. Have a dinner party tmrw night.
So can I put any Seahawks stuff on it? No, that Isn't a clue, the only seahawks fabric I have is fleece...but it's an idea.

~Don't assume people have a plan; they might be waiting for you to tell them the plan!~

Posts: 3674 | Location: southeast, Washington, USA | Registered: May 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sue Stitches
posted Hide Post
No cutting though the deep quilty thoughts are coalescing into a vague plan.

Picture of irish62
posted Hide Post
Been adding to what needs to be done with this quilt. I feel good about my progress

Picture of Shirlwin
posted Hide Post
Haven't cut yet, but its moving higher up my listSmile

Posts: 459 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: Apr 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have cut it and done some sewing. Now I need to cut some more of my other fabric, and then maybe just finish it off. It's not getting any prettier to me. Jackie

Posts: 854 | Location: SE MN | Registered: Feb 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motqltr
posted Hide Post
made the 1st cut; cut 2nd fab; center squares done. So much more to do

Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the updates ladies. Smile

Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
washed the fabric.

Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
Hope everyone is finding time to work on their challenge piece. Smile

posted Hide Post
UGLY has totally been put on back burner...

Posts: 3579 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
Ordered the book so I can read it. Research, you know. Had to get more quilt books to get free shipping. Smile

Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
Let's keep this fresh on our minds. I would love to see everyone who purchased the ugly, send in something for the challenge. Smile

posted Hide Post
Just got back from my vacation. My project is just like if left it, still need to put the finishing touches on it. LOL Sue