Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

place mats Sign In/Join 
posted
I'm making some place mats but the fabric is not sturdy enough to make them without a liner. What do you recommend for a liner? They are just simple rectangular that will be reversible. Thanks.

Carlene

Posts: 1822 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bluesnail
posted Hide Post
I'd use either fusible fleece (which isn't really fleece at all! - it's more of a batting) or regular quilt batting. But you'd have to do some quilting through all the layers if you used either of these alternatives.

Sometimes I laugh so hard tears run down my leg! Lois

Posts: 2290 | Location: sunny Florida | Registered: Aug 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of quilting wifey
posted Hide Post
I would use the cotton batting so hot things that get set on the placemats won't smash/melt the batting. The fleece might melt some with heat and weight on it.

If you want a crisper, flatter placemat, fuse a firmer interfacing to both layers of fabric, That would not need quilting, but a good edge topstitching would keep things in place.

Madelyn

Posts: 6217 | Location: SE MN | Registered: Jan 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Some people use flannel - it must be washed a couple of times with warm water at least (hot water is better), and dried fairly hot to make certain it has shrunk all that it is going to shrink.

Posts: 17440 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
If you use washed fabric, make sure your binding (if you use it) is washed also. You'll want them to be shrunk at the same size. Else you'll end up with long flat bowls like someone I know did. Frown

"It's bad to supress laughter. It goes back down and spreads to your hips."

Posts: 9068 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
Some people need to protect their wooden table from heat of coffee cups or soup bowls. So I've started putting cotton batting and Insul-brite.

Posts: 7627 | Registered: Mar 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. I've got them cut out and ready so will go buy the stuff today.

Carlene

Posts: 1822 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BonnieN
posted Hide Post
I love placemats also,here is a favorite tutorial,she is a somewhat local woman/quilt shop,she used Soft and Stable for a more firm placemat,look for part 2 of her placemat tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owRq8UOCPyA duh,forgot the link! Hope this helps you.

Posts: 2813 | Location:  | Registered: May 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of thimble lady
posted Hide Post
I knew a lot of the techniques shown but it was such an inspiring link. The placemats are so pretty and interesting....and simple. Think Ill make some football inspired ones for next year. Maybe some of the other things too. Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 3699 | Location: Auburn, Alabama | Registered: Jul 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BonnieN
posted Hide Post
Using her approach, you can do anything you want, I just love her ideas. You can piece or whatever..she is very precise. Sorry I was so late in posting,computer has fits on this site usually it somehow freezes up,so whe it dopesn'tI try to stop in..

Posts: 2813 | Location:  | Registered: May 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
That's a great video!!! Thank you!!!

Posts: 9068 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks ladies. I just used thin batting and got them finished. I'm not a quilter so they are not pieced just 12X20 fabric. Now ready for Christmas!!! :>)

Carlene

Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm not a quilter

yet! Smile

Picture of Bozie
posted Hide Post
Just a friendly reminder - even if you don't consider yourself a quilter check the instructions that came with the batting you used. You will probably need to put some lines of stitching through all three layers to avoid getting a lump of matted binding materials in the placemat after the first washing. Smile

Martha

Posts: 7193 | Location: Montana | Registered: Mar 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BonnieN
posted Hide Post
And a new quilter is born!

Our Grands call our placemats I have made "Little Quilts" they are facinated by them,and ask to use them when they are here!

Picture of thimble lady
posted Hide Post
Awww! How sweet!

Posts: 3699 | Location: Auburn, Alabama | Registered: Jul 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BonnieN
posted Hide Post
I like it that they know not everything is made by a 10 yr old in China! I want them to know handmade. I love to make things I use everyday,potholders, trivets, embellish kitchen towels..napkins.pillows..helps make a house a home..