Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  How much do you pay (or charge) to quilt a top?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How much do you pay (or charge) to quilt a top? Sign In/Join 
Picture of toryam
posted
Just curious how much it costs to get a top quilted. TIA!

Posts: 4046 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: Aug 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
The quilter that has done several for me recently charges far less than most but still does a great job. The last one was a fairly good sized queen quilt and she only asked for $70! My only regret is that she does not do custom quilting, just all over designs.

Another person did some custom quilting for me 8 or 9 years ago and charged $140 for a full size. That seemed like a lot since it was the first one I had done but now I realize even that was relatively low cost.

Posts: 6544 | Registered: Nov 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
nothing - I have an HQ 16 and do my own. Not anything spectacular, but serviceable...

“May God give you...For every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile, for every care a promise and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh a sweet song and an answer for each prayer.”

http://www.qovf.org/index.html

Posts: 5043 | Location: Loriland | Registered: Feb 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elsie123
posted Hide Post
I think I've seen charges by the square inch dimensions of 1 - 1.5 cents psi. Maybe more for intricate work instead of overall design. I also pay extra and she provides the batting, which is easiest if I'm mailing the top to her.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SeeingStars
posted Hide Post
I tried doing a few custom quilts, but ended up charging way less than I should have. If I'm not earning minimum wage for custom work, something's wrong. But, I am not a fast quilter because I double check tension, etc. as I go. My price was about 2.5 cents per sq inch. I've seen chatter on the 'net that some custom quilting goes for 4 cents per square inch.

There's a lot of self-imposed stress when quilting someone else's top. I wanted to make sure they're thrilled with it. So for me, I've decided to do my own and several for charity. This way I'm much less stressed while quilting. I like that my work and my hobby are separate.

Posts: 3584 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: Dec 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NYlady
posted Hide Post
I couldn't afford any of those prices. That is why if its anything larger than a throw, I tie it.

Posts: 3409 | Location: Staten Island, NY , USA | Registered: Sep 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
I don't send my tops out for quilting. I have a Janome Magnolia 7330 & it works just fine for my quilts. I also have a Singer that works great also. I generally stitch in the ditch & sometimes will use a template in selected areas if I want something special on the quilt. I've also used the Borders Made Easy for border work that turns out very pretty. The largest quilt I've ever made has been a twin size.

Nicki

Posts: 8126 | Location: Texas / Zone 9 | Registered: Sep 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of indycatCarol
posted Hide Post
1.5 cents for pantos and 2 cents starting for custom. It has been 4 or 5 yrs. since I raised my prices but with the cost of fabric going up I'll leave it where it is.
I just went to my local quilt guild show and I quilted 25 out of just over 200 quilts in the show.
At the next meeting I'll have to remind the ladies to think about starting to get their Christmas quilts to the quilters and not wait till the last minute.
For the quilt show, one lady said she would have the quilt to me by May 1 (quilt show was June 7&8) but she didn't get it to me til May 17th. Needless to say, I charged her a tad more than I normally would have for having to "hurry".

I don't mind coming to work. But that 8 hr. wait to go home is a drag.
http://s182.photobucket.com/albums/x189/indycatCarol/

Posts: 3448 | Location: Indiana | Registered: Nov 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AliceTX
posted Hide Post
I just picked up an ABC quilt for my GGD and she charged 1.5 cents psi. BUT........she did a custom job, each block a different pattern of quilting. She had a bunch of new books & patterns she found at the Paduccah (sp) Show and I told her she could practice on my quilt.

She did a GREAT job and said she had so much fun. needless to say I am very pleased. Normally she charges 3 cents PSI for custom work.. I think I got a good deal.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AliceTX,

A clean house is the sign of a broken sewing machine.

Posts: 1148 | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mw8930
posted Hide Post
I just finished a queen size quilt with an all over design and I provided the cotton batting. I charged $150. I've never done a custom design, but I want too. I wouldn't have any idea what to charge for a custom job.

Posts: 302 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: Nov 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of britgal
posted Hide Post
I can add that Indycat does a WONDERFUL job, she's done a couple for me and I have more for her just as soon as I get the backing. Her prices are right in there with other quilters.

my etsy shop
cutiegirlie.etsy.com

Posts: 2143 | Registered: Jan 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AmyJo
posted Hide Post
I generally charge between $ 60.00 to $ 125.00 depending on size and detail.

Posts: 295 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: Feb 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of quiltslots
posted Hide Post
My charge is .0125 per square inch. I do continuous border design, unless someone has a desire for an overall pattern.

Posts: 290 | Registered: Sep 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltingnewbie2
posted Hide Post
WOW.. You ladies that quilt the tops are veryyyy reasonable. A couple of years ago I had a queen size top quilted and it cost me $250.00 and there was nothing custom done... Maybe I should send mine to you ladies !!!

Posts: 1128 | Location: Still lost in a quilt store.... | Registered: Mar 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of toryam
posted Hide Post
I forgot I asked this question, lol.

Lotsa good info! Thanks for digging it out of the memory banks, lol.

Posts: 4046 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: Aug 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Downsouth
posted Hide Post
I have a king size quilt waiting to be finished...just need to pick out the backing. I started it for my son and DIL's bedroom two years ago, then they got a divorce. Life does happen when you put off those UFOs, lol! Big Grin

I've never sent one out because I thought I couldn't afford it, but with this being my first king size, I may just give it some thought. I get sick when I think of cramming this through my sewing machine! Smile

eta: Do you quilters do the binding too? Is that price included or extra? I do have the binding already cut out.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Downsouth,

Devonne

Posts: 14966 | Location: Georgia | Registered: Jan 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motqltr
posted Hide Post
the person I use charges on psi basis, depending on all-over, large, small, etc. Her website is myquiltingroost.com. I usually have her do a medium all-over. She has min charge of $30; the last quilt she did was $37; I mis-measured and she had to piece the batting and trim a little. This quilt was 47" square. I love the designs and I can't show pic because it's the ugly challenge. I will happily pay her to avoid the stress of quilting it myself.
Our quilt group did a full or dble size raffle quilt, another quilter did it, custom design and it was over $200.

http://flickr.com/photos/motqltr
~Don't assume people have a plan; they might be waiting for you to tell them the plan!~

Posts: 3614 | Location: southeast, Washington, USA | Registered: May 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of indycatCarol
posted Hide Post
Devonne, I can put the binging on. I actually do the 1st side while it is still on the frame. Then I turn it to the back side and do that on my small sewing machine. Of course that charge is sometimes almost as much as the actual quilting charge. (EX: quilt is 50"x50". Panto quilting is $37.50. Attach binding to front of quilt would be $20. Total charge of $57.50. To machine sew it to the front and the back would be $30. Total cost to quilt and bind: $67.50. Now, if you want the 2nd side done by hand the total binding charge is $40. for a total of $77.50.)All of this is based on the binding already made.
Since I moved and had my machine frame cut down to fit in the other bedroom, one side can't be any bigger than 115" but it doesn't matter what size the other side is. So I can do like 115x150.

Posts: 3448 | Location: Indiana | Registered: Nov 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Downsouth
posted Hide Post
Carol, thanks for the info. It is something I need to really think about.

Devonne

Posts: 14966 | Location: Georgia | Registered: Jan 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Carol, I have my 'outside the pizzabox' top - a swap that Toryam ran. My theme was chocolates and my top turned out great. I have been thinking of having someone quilt it, to do it justice. I have only ever quilted one top. If I am mailing it to you, do I send the batting as well? It's lapsize quilt, I can measure it tonight when I get home.

Jane

Posts: 1807 | Location: New Zealander livin' in NYC | Registered: Jan 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of indycatCarol
posted Hide Post
Not sure how I managed to "quote" my own message but I deleted the quote. LOL!!!

Jane, I have warm and white and 4 oz. polyester so you can send yours or use mine. I do need to have the backing and batting about 10" bigger than the top. So if the quilt is 50"x50", the batting and backing needs to be about 60"x60".
Send me a PM and we'll chat more about this if you want.