Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  magazine storage?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

magazine storage? Sign In/Join 
Picture of kay53
posted
would like suggestions on how to store quilting mags. and how long do you keep them? They are running ramped in my sewing space. thanks for your thoughts.

Posts: 30 | Location: mo | Registered: Sep 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shogun
posted Hide Post
Sometimes I save a page out of a magazine and sometimes the whole magazine. I do have a few of those standing magazine holders, they come in cardboard or wood or plastic or metal.
For pages I tear out, some are in plastic sleeves in binders. Some are just pinned on a bulletin board for ideas and some just sitting on a table.

Posts: 3766 | Location: Michigan | Registered: Jan 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
I've wanted to make something lke this for a long time from cereal boxes and cover them with fabric. I didn't find any instructions with this photo, but I don't think they would be too hard to figure out.

"It's bad to supress laughter. It goes back down and spreads to your hips."

Posts: 9036 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7563 | Registered: Mar 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7563 | Registered: Mar 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
WOW! Beautiful! oh boy....those went in my favorites. Thank you so much Evelyn!

Posts: 9036 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SeeingStars
posted Hide Post
I give away all but the last 2 years. Our LQS (which recently closed) had a box we could toss them and others could help themselves. So far, if I see a pattern that I really like in a magazine, I either make it quickly or forget about it. I'm not expecting many years later to look for a new project to do in an older magazine.

Posts: 3670 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: Dec 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KaylaQuilts
posted Hide Post
I scan any patterns I'm interested in making "some day" and save as a PDF to my IPad then take the magazine to work for others to take and share

Kayla

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream"
-Edgar Allan Poe-

Posts: 766 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: Jan 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
OK, I confess to keeping quilt magazines too long, and not referring to them often enough. Red Face

I did stop all my subscriptions, and now I only buy some crafty-type magazines (Mollie Makes, Marie Claire Idees French version, etc.) each month/quarterly. Those are expensive, so I do feel like I should hold onto them.

I left the magazine cupboard untouched when I did my sewing room clean-out this month. I do need to go through my magazines & get rid of a bunch, but I never know what my tastes might be during any given sewing era! Sometimes I want scrappy inspiration, sometimes traditional, sometimes modern, sometimes craft projects... So it's really hard to decide what to keep & what to pass along.

I did get rid of some really old QNM's, like 20+ years old, that were "used" when I got them. I kept them for as long as I could, but there was nothing in there that jumped out at me. I guess I could have eBay'ed them, but that seemed like a lot of trouble. So I gave them to someone in my guild who wanted them. I don't know what I'll do with the remaining magazines that I'll pull out...sell or donate?

As far as storage, my magazines are standing behind closed cupboard doors, separated by title, and roughly in year order. I don't need holders because there are so many that they hold each other up! But since I'm reaching maximum capacity, this is the year when I have to do SOMETHING... Roll Eyes

I will also admit that I enjoy pulling a magazine at random, if I need to go to an appointment or something, and looking at it again. "It's all new to me," because I can't ever remember what was in any given issue!! Razz

Posts: 6125 | Location: About 28,000 Light Years From Galactic Center | Registered: Jul 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chanlady22
posted Hide Post
I have to admit that more and more I'm saving less and less. The content hasn't been exciting and I've let subscriptions go.

Happy Stitching...Lois

Posts: 2256 | Location: Chanhassen, MN | Registered: Aug 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Like Nancy suggested.
I have magazines from back in the 1980s and a few 1990s. Then it seemed that I was getting the very same patterns over and over just turned a quarter turn and set together in a different order so dropped my subscriptions. I signed up again for one magazine subscription in 2005. I got exactly the year's worth of 6 issues and did not renew...for the very same reason. Same patterns...new fabrics.

I covered laundry detergent boxes with pretty wrapping paper. I did not line the inside. I put all issues for one specific magazine in each box...and labeled the boxes according to magazine title and years of magazines in the boxes. I even got ambitious once while I was not working outside the home or working part time...and indexed everything. Printed the page(s) and they are inserted in front of the first magazine. So if there's a specific quilt/project that I am looking for, I can just look at the index for that box.

Posts: 17371 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KeepYouInStitches:
I covered laundry detergent boxes with pretty wrapping paper.

Remember when laundry detergent came in that shape box! And often with a towel or a piece of china inside. Remember Golden Wheat dishes! Smile

Posts: 6125 | Location: About 28,000 Light Years From Galactic Center | Registered: Jul 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chanlady22
posted Hide Post
My MIL had the Golden Wheat dishes. Wonder what happened to those.....

Happy Stitching...Lois

Posts: 2256 | Location: Chanhassen, MN | Registered: Aug 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NICUnurse
posted Hide Post
And the jelly jars that were drinking glasses after!

I'm like Starry-I have a gazillion mags! I still have to go through them. I always find new quilts to make though, The ones I do get rid of are going to Goodwill.
There so much free stuff online now-its really not worth have mag subscriptions. You might find one thing in the whole issue you
want to make.

I still get Fon's and Porter but that's it. Probably won't renew.

Pam

Posts: 5905 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: Jan 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twostep
posted Hide Post
I store mine in the plastic milk crates you can buy almost anywhere.

Posts: 6797 | Location: Bubbleland | Registered: Sep 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our historical society has a quilt show every fall. I donated over 100 magazines to them and they sold them for 25 cents each. They went like wildfire and the society made $25 from them. I've really cut back on my subscriptions because I was getting more than I could read, let alone make quilts from. I tear out patterns or techniques that I like and keep them in a sleeve in a binder.

Posts: 195 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
My solution doesn't help you, but I give my current ones as part of the monthly stashbuster prize.

We have a bookstore in our library that gets all my things I don't want any more, gift bags, patterns, cards, magazines, puzzles, tapes, records, cds and books. They sell everything and buy things for the library. They just bought over $120,000 book sorting machine.
When the library had Sunday hours, they paid half the wages of the workers so we could keep the library open for a lot of years till the economy tanked.

Freecycle or phreecycle is another good outlet for anything you don't want... Chris

Posts: 6306 | Location: Tampa Bay | Registered: Jan 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
Last time I went to the dentist I took a brand new quilting magazine with me and left it there. I hadn't found anything at all to keep! One of the men sitting there picked it up and read it! We'll get those guys yet!!! SmileI keep telling hubby he would love a longarm...

Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StarrySky:
quote:
Originally posted by KeepYouInStitches:
I covered laundry detergent boxes with pretty wrapping paper.

Remember when laundry detergent came in that shape box! And often with a towel or a piece of china inside. Remember Golden Wheat dishes! Smile

I KNEW I was dating myself.LOL
Yes I remember those dishes, although we didn't have them. Towels. Yep DM was so excited over bath towels in the detergent she purchased.

Posts: 17371 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Joyce
posted Hide Post
I've not renewed any of my subscriptions for several years. Too many of the same style patterns in issue after issue.

The ones I still have, I am slowly weeding out.
When I get my hair cut, I take a couple to the salon and leave them. Next time I get my hair cut they are always gone. Think I will do the same with other appointments, I get tired of looking through 10 year old Nat. Geo.

Posts: 930 | Location: Washington | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of native Texan
posted Hide Post
luckily I BOUght several magazine holders before they went up inpric e. Also culled out many of them. kept my Aussie ones plus someot hers but really cleaned out.

CC

Posts: 4702 | Location: 1,000 miles from home | Registered: Apr 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post