Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Merry Merry Snowmen Sew Along -- BLOCK #3 - WINNER POSTED!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Merry Merry Snowmen Sew Along -- BLOCK #3 - WINNER POSTED! Sign In/Join 
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
8 more days ladies... I think our gusto is failing a little... let's pick the pep up... Me, first in line.. I need to get started with block #1! Smile

www.pigtalesandquilts.com
www.crazyquiltingsupplies.com

Crazy Quilting is addictive so we just have to STITCH IT OUT LOUD!

Posts: 25678 | Location: USA | Registered: Oct 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am following along with all of your gorgeous work...you guys amaze me with all of the creativity...all of these blocks are just ADORABLE and I know I am going to wish I had done this! Will be really fun to see this all put together into quilt tops.

Posts: 3409 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shey..
posted Hide Post
wow... you ladies are wowing me with your creativity.. every one of them are works of art!!..

i've just started working on my block 1... and will most likely use lots of you all's ideas on my blocks..

that being said.. i'm a really new appliquer.. and i've decided to use the fuseable method for this quilt.. (and yes i remember i do need to reverse all the patterns for that).. but.. i'm planning on doing a hand blanket stitch on them.. i am using a "light" fusible.. but what kind of thread should i use??.. do you use a silk thread??.. regular cotton thread??.. or do use like.. DMC floss??.. and if so.. how many threads of it??.. i'm totally confused.. HELP!!... please...

shey..

my blog.. http://sheysstitchinmagic.blogspot.com/
http://twistedstitchers-quiltingnewbie.blogspot.com/

"it's not the human walk.. it's the human race, if you ain't livin on the edge .. you're takin to much space..." Nickelback.. Dark Horse.. This Afternoon..

Posts: 3461 | Location: FL | Registered: Jun 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
If I use DMC I use 2 strands but since I have been using the Pearl Cotton that I have on my site, I love it. it is one ply so you don't get those split-ends.. lol

Posts: 25678 | Location: USA | Registered: Oct 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shey..
posted Hide Post
ok.. so.. perle cotton is another option.. what size??

shey..

"it's not the human walk.. it's the human race, if you ain't livin on the edge .. you're takin to much space..." Nickelback.. Dark Horse.. This Afternoon..

Posts: 3461 | Location: FL | Registered: Jun 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
I use the size 8. It isn't too thin or too thick.

Picture of shey..
posted Hide Post
thank you Q!.. Smile

shey..

Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
you're welcome. Smile

Picture of warm buns
posted Hide Post
I got to get busy! I thought we had till the end of the month..

Posts: 3610 | Location: Elvis, birthplace | Registered: Nov 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
Well I'm right there with you Buns. I finally got started yesterday but, I'm not sure it's going to make the cut.

J Lu

Posts: 935 | Location: Eldersburg Maryland | Registered: Oct 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kentucky_Sunshine
posted Hide Post
Shew, I need to get in gear too...I've been dizzy sewing lately, so many things to do and so little time to sew...hoping to get in gear on Monday, a big weekend coming up and everyone has to be penciled in...Caleb's scool friends are having parties this weekend and of course Mother's day on Sunday...sometimes I think we need a vacation from everyday life Razz LOL...I've not lost gusto, even though I haven't sewn my mind has been active thinking about my next 2 blocks, and I have searched and searched trying to find the right fabric for the pitcher in block 4, but haven't had any luck...I want it to look like the old fashioned speckled enamel ware...I found a perfect fabric in red and white, but not the blue, so i'll keep looking and if I can't find the fabric I want I'll just improvise Smile

" Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.. "

Posts: 7023 | Location: "Across the ocean blue amongst the wildflower's & honeydews" | Registered: Aug 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of warm buns
posted Hide Post
8 have lost my chimney. I need to cut me out another one. I still need to applique two stars onto it and my planter that my tree sits in looks like it is going to topple over. One more night in front of the boob tube with dh will get it finished.

Posts: 3610 | Location: Elvis, birthplace | Registered: Nov 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am going to TRY to quilt as you go with this project and would appreciate if anyone can give me a few tips. I am VERY new to quilting and was wondering if I need to add a sash to the blocks and if so how wide would you make them? I have learned so much from this site and look forward to your replies...Cathy

Posts: 38 | Registered: Mar 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
Cathy,
This pattern does not call for any sashing. It is a random setting, not the standard "same size" blocks or rows.

Once the entire center of the quilt is completed...borders can be added. As many of them as you wish.

If you are going to do Quilt as you Go...the layout seems to favor doing the entire top three blocks together as a unit. Then the bottom part of the quilt has two side-by-side units of blocks. Afterwards...you'd put these three units together to get the entire middle of the quilt.

Hope this helps...and doesn't confuse.

Hugs,

Posts: 4612 | Location: Alabama | Registered: Nov 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of warm buns
posted Hide Post
I have finished block three finally. I think I will redo the pot that my tree is in because it is awfully crooked.

I am going to quilt as I go also. I am about to put the borders on the first three blocks.

I will then do blocks 4 and skip 5,6 and finish block 7. I will put blocks 4 and 7 together and put the borders on the left hand side and across the bottom.

I will then do block 5 and 8. I will add my borders to the bottom only and then I will QAYG those two and add them to 4 and 7.

Last I will applique blocks 6 and 9. I will add my borders to the bottom and the right side and then I will QAYG these two and add them to 4&7 and 5&8.

I will then have two sections of my quilt. I will put the top section and the bottom section together and sew a strip to the back to the top back section and turn it down and sew it to the bottom back section and I will be done.

That is a lot of instruction. I will take pictures along as I go so you can see what I am talking about. I will try to sandwich my first part this weekend so you can see what I- am talking about.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: warm buns,

Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
Photos of finished blocks due on the 15th by 7a.m. Eastern time...

Looking good ladies!

Block #3 Finishers!

1. Mo.star
2. califshrimp
3. warmbuns Smile
4. Kentucky Sunshine
5. elainetoo Smile
6. yhtac Smile
7. Mountain laurel
8. SCLady
9. ddquilts
10. MyJack
11. wenonah
12. quiltaholic
13. headielamar
14. J Lu
15. paus4quilts
16. Brandyquilter Smile
17. crazy'boutquilts
18. shequilts Smile
19. Meme Quilts Smile
20. mi. debbie
21. amiko Smile
22. gremgramma
23. ivy_cottage81
24. mw8930
25. Gracie/Ohio
26. Shawkl Smile
27. zeydrago
28. Ely
29. sprmom

Picture of sprmom
posted Hide Post
not going to make the time line this month, we leave for vacation tomorrow!

Posts: 5529 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: Sep 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
Bunsie, that's a pretty block. Seem that a few of the ladies are thinking of quilting as they go...so your photos and instructions will be very helpful for that.

Posts: 4612 | Location: Alabama | Registered: Nov 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks kathy & WarmBuns for your reply...very helpful. Anxiously awaiting the pictures!!
Cathy

Posts: 38 | Registered: Mar 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
don't know if I'm going to make. My DD worked alot of overtime the last week and a half and I watch my 3 yr. old grandson. No sewing time.
Everyones are looking good.
Debie

Posts: 216 | Registered: Oct 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am going to get in gear tomorrow! I wont make the deadline for #3 but will catch up beforeblock#4 is due! Happy Quilting!

Posts: 48 | Location: Potosi, Mo. | Registered: Jun 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
2 days left ladies.. Smile

Evelyn... Did you receive the email from the quilt shop?

Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
I have everything ready to be added to my block but, it ain't looking to good wish me luck

J Lu

Posts: 935 | Location: Eldersburg Maryland | Registered: Oct 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of warm buns
posted Hide Post
You can do it JLu I know you can. It did seem lie I would never get thru with that block. Each time I did something to it there was still something left to do. I should have done the joy on the roof on my embroidery machine but I want to do it all by hand. by the time I got it satin stitched, I was ready to give up on the all hand work goal.

I am nearly ready for the block 4 posting to begin.

Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
Well don't laugh, I started sewing the house and I must be using my crooked eye the whole darn thing is bent. Lol! I threw it on the table. I'm going back to plan number one. Sewing machine!!! My hands are just not gettin it. Ill post a picture so you all can enjoy it.

J Lu

Picture of crazy'boutquilts
posted Hide Post
I'm here! Wave

This is my block 3~ I am using buttons for the snowman face etc.

I was hoping to get block 2 finished too, but my sewing machine has been in the shop more than out this month. sigh I tried to do the right thing and sent it in for a cleaning~ strictly routine, nothing was wrong with it. Got it back and now it won't wind bobbins. Frown I asked for a loaner, but it is a little almost toy machine and I can't embroider with it. I just need to embroider my sign, the rest of the applique I have been doing by hand. Roll Eyes

Posts: 10449 | Location: Washington! :-) | Registered: Sep 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
WOO_HOO! Another finish!!

Photos of finished blocks due on the 15th by 7a.m. Eastern time...

Looking good ladies!

Block #3 Finishers!

1. Mo.star
2. califshrimp
3. warmbuns Smile
4. Kentucky Sunshine
5. elainetoo Smile
6. yhtac Smile
7. Mountain laurel
8. SCLady
9. ddquilts Smile
10. MyJack
11. wenonah Smile
12. quiltaholic
13. headielamar
14. J Lu
15. paus4quilts
16. Brandyquilter Smile
17. crazy'boutquilts Smile
18. shequilts Smile
19. Meme Quilts Smile
20. mi. debbie
21. amiko Smile
22. gremgramma
23. ivy_cottage81
24. mw8930
25. Gracie/Ohio
26. Shawkl Smile
27. zeydrago
28. Ely
29. sprmom

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Quiltaholic,

Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
J Lu, don't know if this will help...but, here is what I do.

All of my pieces are prepared before I start to applique them down. I use 3 layers of freezer paper for each pattern piece. First layer has the pattern piece shape drawn on it, the other two just make the piece a little thicker so I get a good edge when the fabric is folded around the edge of the shape.

The pattern is reversed because I iron my pattern piece (freezer paper) to the back of my chosen fabric. I cut the fabric so that there is about 1/4 of an inch of "allowance" to fold under.

Using spray starch and a small paint brush, I wet the selvedge and fold it over the freezer paper and press with a hot iron. (Spray some of the starch into the lid of the can...and paint with that.)

For inside curves, I clip the seam allowance...and for outside curves...I stitch a little running stitch and gather. Starch and press. Then I starch and press the entire piece.

Next, after all the separate pieces are created...I use my teflon applique pressing sheet and lay each piece out overlapping where they are supposed to be...to create the entire shape (like the Tree would have 3 layers of limbs, the trunk, and the pot). I use a bit of watered down white glue and a paint brush (or a glue stick) and apply this to the selvage area of the top pieces...and iron things so that the entire "scene" is together. That way, I don't need any pins. Keep the glue on the seam allowances. When layered, and ironed, the top piece (with the glue) will be "stuck" to the piece below it. The heat of the iron dries the glue and makes it semi-permanent. It isn't much glue, so if you did have to take it apart...some water would loosen it up. But, pay attention to placement and you won't have to do that.

Then I peel everything off of the teflon sheet....all of the "parts" have now become one major element of the design...like the "entire tree". I put some glue stick on the seam allowances here and there...and iron the entire scene to my background fabric...after placing it where it goes (or at least close to where it is 'SUPPOSED' to go). It doesn't slide around.

Oh, as as you work with a pattern piece to layer it...and then to put them on the background...take off the freezer paper. You are just working with fabric shapes that have been prepared with starch to keep their shape.

Even though I have "spot welded" everything in place, I still put a couple of pins in too before I start to sew (applique) things in place. I put these pins about every two inches along where I'm actually appliqueing...and move them around the shape as I go. Each individual piece has to still be stitched around...not just the outer area because when washed...the glue stick and/or white glue will wash out.

Don't give up. Take your time and find a solutions that works for you.

You CAN do this!

Picture of shequilts
posted Hide Post
That looks really shape! Thanks for the help with the applique.

Sew, sew, and sew some more that's my motto!

Posts: 708 | Location: Eaton, OH  | Registered: Apr 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dd quilts
posted Hide Post
Here is my Block 3. I have the buttons, nose, and earmuffs just sitting in place.

Off to finish Block 4 - I have a tight time frame to get it done, so I need to post it as soon as Q opens it up. We are in the process of selling a house and packing up almost 32 years of STUFF. Closing Date June 15. Add to that we have a trip planned to Hawaii that was planned and paid for prior to the house selling and I refuse to miss that (because it is with my grand babies!!!!!!!!!!!!)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dd quilts,

dd

Posts: 268 | Location: Charleston SC | Registered: Jun 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
Elainetoo.. did your prize code ever get emailed to you?

posted Hide Post
Here is my block three. Finished it last night just in time. Ready for number four.
Jackie

Posts: 849 | Location: SE MN | Registered: Feb 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
h my gosh I cannot believe I made the cut. I still have that crooked thing going though. Arg!

J Lu

Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
Thank you Kathy for the tips you know I can use the help. I had a little problem remembering that stem stitch of yours but, I think I got it down. Everything else went through he sewing machine. I'll have to fix the crooked later. I'm movin on girls.

J Lu

posted Hide Post
I just got my block pieced Frown less than 12 hours to go, can I get'er done? gonna try...worried about getting a pic posted as I left my camera at my mother inlaws on Sunday, maybe I can figure out how to post from my phone or ipad...lol, if not Caleb can probably help me, he can navigate my ipad better than me Razz

" Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.. "

Posts: 7023 | Location: "Across the ocean blue amongst the wildflower's & honeydews" | Registered: Aug 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of warm buns
posted Hide Post
Some wonderful looking blocks ladies. I am fast working on number 4.

Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
J Lu, the arms look great! I can see them!

And what is leaning? I can't find it. Did you fix it.

Whatever it is...it must not be bad. So, in the words of an infamous teacher (can't remember who)..."It will quilt out!"

Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
J Lu... If it is leaning I must have my head corked that way cause I don't see it. Great job on the finish!

1 hour and 42 minutes left ladies... Who burned the midnight oil?? Smile

Block #3 Finishers!

1. Mo.star
2. califshrimp
3. warmbuns Smile
4. Kentucky Sunshine
5. elainetoo Smile
6. yhtac Smile
7. Mountain laurel
8. SCLady
9. ddquilts Smile
10. MyJack
11. wenonah Smile
12. quiltaholic
13. headielamar
14. J Lu Smile
15. paus4quilts
16. Brandyquilter Smile
17. crazy'boutquilts Smile
18. shequilts Smile
19. Meme Quilts Smile
20. mi. debbie
21. amiko Smile
22. gremgramma
23. ivy_cottage81
24. mw8930
25. Gracie/Ohio
26. Shawkl Smile
27. zeydrago
28. Ely
29. sprmom

posted Hide Post
As hard as I tried, I am not going to finish, Frown I still like the windows and door and stars, I'd rather do a neat job as to do a rush job...hoping to get back on track with the next block...going to start on number 4 straight away,so as not to procrastinate Razz...on a brighter side,as soon as I'm finished with block 3, I can finish sewing them together with the QAYG process Smile Good luck ladies...I was really hoping to win this draw too...shucks!

All of you ladies deserve to win for finishing your blocks, they are all gorgeous! Well done!!!

Hugs

Trish

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kentucky_Sunshine,

Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
Ha! Well it's good to know its not just my eyes. It's my window panes that are crooked. I didn't draw them on first just free handed them with my crooked eye in tack. You can tell by my JOY it's looks like my y got a lot smaller. I don't think my Katie will notice though. It will all awwwwwww's for her. She's pretty easy to please. I'm the critical one here.

J Lu

Picture of shequilts
posted Hide Post
I like the windows! I looks like the lights are on and make it bright. Great job!!

Posts: 708 | Location: Eaton, OH  | Registered: Apr 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shequilts
posted Hide Post
Now I'm waiting to post block 4. I was going to Calif. May 9-11 so I wanted to have block done before I left. When I got home I would be able to post it. But then life happened and on May 4th my dad passed away. I was going out to visit him. Still going to Calif. but waiting for the arrangements.

posted Hide Post
Shequilts, so sorry about your Dad, I know how hard it is. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and yours.

I didn't make the cut either, life got in the way.Try for #4
Love everyones, they look great.

Debbie

Posts: 216 | Registered: Oct 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
Brandyquilter is the winner this time around!! She wins a 50.00 gift certificate from Bunny Hill Designs. http://www.bunnyhilldesigns.com

Congrats brandy!

shequilts... We will all certainly keep you in our thoughts and prayers. So very sorry for your loss.

I have to make a quick trip in to town for something important so it may be later this evening before the thread for Block #4 goes live. Stay tuned...

posted Hide Post
Shequilts, I am so very sorry for your loss. My hugs and prayers are with you.

I won?!?! Yippee! I wonder what kind of trouble I can find to use my prize on. Wink Thanks Quiltaholic and Bunny Hill!

Brandy
~There are pawprints on my heart.~
www.prairiepawsrescue.com

Posts: 5094 | Location: North Dakota! | Registered: Jul 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
Brandy... Please pm me with your email address so I can give it to Anne. She will email you a gift code.

Elainetoo... Did you receive yours?

Picture of mw8930
posted Hide Post
shequilts - So sorry for your loss.

Congrats Brandyquilter!

My sewing room is still in shambles - but I'm gonna start block #4 this weekend and catch up on #2 & #3 later.

Everyone's block are beautiful! JLu - I don't see the crooked either.

Marj

Posts: 283 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: Nov 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of warm buns
posted Hide Post
Thoughts and prayers are with you shequilts.

Congratulations Brandy.

Jlu I don't see it either. Jurst irrrn it!!!!!

posted Hide Post
following along and loving all of your delightful snowpeople blocks...will make DARLING quilts!

Posts: 3409 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Meme quilts
posted Hide Post
shequilts, our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Brandy, congratulations!!!!

I'm ready to post the pic of #4 when you get the new thread going.

In order to see the rainbow, first you must endure the rain.

Posts: 2826 | Location: SE Missouri | Registered: Jul 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post