Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Scrappy twisted trangles
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scrappy twisted trangles Sign In/Join 
Picture of paus4quilts
posted
A little while back I was looking for an easy way to make multi sized triangles. Looky what I found today.

Anyone seen/tried this method from Nancy's Notions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VH155PoqFM

Posts: 6072 | Registered: Aug 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of L.L.
posted Hide Post
Well, without your help, I would have never seen this!! (is that a good thing or not.... Confused we will see!! Wink )

That was neat to see - thanks for finding it and sharing it.

Posts: 2417 | Location: Alberta, Canada!!  | Registered: Mar 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
That's a neat looking quilt. I looked around & found that the template is 3 3/16" x 3 3/16" square. I haven't tried this method but it looks easy enough.

Nicki

Posts: 8507 | Location: Texas / Zone 9 | Registered: Sep 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is a great tutorial. Thank you for posting it.
Susan

Posts: 746 | Location: West Central Ohio, USA | Registered: Dec 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muggomuggo
posted Hide Post
Nice!!

my philosophy: there are no real mistakes in quilting, just design opportunities!!

Posts: 4607 | Location: maybe Texas someday | Registered: Jul 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shirlwin
posted Hide Post
Thank you for a great tutorial that is now on my favouritesSmile

Posts: 457 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: Apr 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
oh my! how do people figure these things out??? love this...

"It's bad to supress laughter. It goes back down and spreads to your hips."

Posts: 9037 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of glassnquilts
posted Hide Post
That is pretty cool.

Posts: 1197 | Location: West of Atlanta, GA | Registered: Feb 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Neat!

Posts: 8200 | Location: Northeast | Registered: Nov 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting this. I am always looking for ways to use precuts. I would have never found this on my own. Thanks again.

Quiltmaker

Posts: 1179 | Registered: Mar 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post
Yup I ordered it. And a couple other things. What I want to know is, do you see some sort of pattern in the way it all arranges as a quilt? I can't SEE it: it must be TOO random for my brain.

Posts: 9628 | Location: Always Moving A Bit | Registered: Jan 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just bought this one and another one at Patty J and Sister Sue's LQS. It looks like it will be fun to play with. I wish that these were regular sizes though (they are not standard such that you cannot easily substitute the units into other blocks as I had hoped). On the bright side, the template comes with a booklet of many table runners that uses the template (you could easily make these table runner patterns into full quilts). I am looking forward to playing with my new templates. The other template that I got is Strip & Twist. Strip & Twist comes with a booklet that shows you how to make 7 different blocks using 2.5 inch strips. The blocks finish at an odd size, but they are very pretty blocks and could easily make several different quilts using just blocks made from that ruler.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ImaQuilter,

Posts: 1207 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ivy_cottage81
posted Hide Post
...and here is the link to the printable PDF.

http://www.nancysnotions.com/t...-triangles-quilt.pdf

ivy

Posts: 769 | Registered: May 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post
That's a great PDF but I still can't see the pattern it should make. Could someone who is "graphically inclined" point it out to me?

Posts: 9628 | Location: Always Moving A Bit | Registered: Jan 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bozie
posted Hide Post
I don't see any mention of how the blocks are supposed to be arranged so I think they are Y-Blocks with bias edges(hence the warning to both starch the fabric and handle the blocks carefully) randomly sewn together. You could also look at the drawing in the pdf and arrange your blocks the same way.

Martha

Posts: 7191 | Location: Montana | Registered: Mar 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did not see any pattern in the tutorial linked to this thread either. The template itself does come with table runner patterns that you can definitely see a pattern. The concerns that I have about this template are the odd size of the unit, bias edges on the outside of the units and fabric waste. I do have them, but did not look at them real well before I bought them. The patterns that come with the ruler are striking and could be adapted for more traditional sizes that use regular rulers. I am a gadget girl though and love to play with new techniques/ideas.

Posts: 1207 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
I think she said in the video to RANDOMLY arrange the units - yeah, I know, that's hard to do for me too.

Posts: 6641 | Registered: Nov 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post
Ok. You all helped. AND the sketch. It should be interesting. I agree Imaquilter. The gadget aspect, and the simplicity. Enjoy your weekend everybody!

Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
...that was cool ... having done something similar but not so organized, I LIKE this idea better ... but I don't think I caught WHAT SIZE square she was using .. any reason we can't use a regular square ruler for that for that?
..... oooops ... I went back and re-read the posts...thanks for posting that it is 3 3/16 square.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: City/Sandie,

I cannot change 'things', but I can change how I feel about them. Me.

Wounded Warrior Project
www.woundedwarriorproject.org

Posts: 9144 | Location: Inland Empire, CA | Registered: Mar 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
quote:
WHAT SIZE square she was using .. any reason we can't use a regular square ruler for that for that?

I wonder if that's the size of a square you need to cut a square on (2) 2 12" strips sewn together...any of you math folks??? if you sewed bigger strips together in the same method, you could use a regular size square ruler...but I think there would be lots of waste.

Posts: 9037 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paus4quilts
posted Hide Post
grrrrrr. The other day someone on another site posted how to enlarge a pattern and I didn't pay attention because I always use my drawing software for that sort of stuff. Someone on this board will probably know.

In the meantime. I think when you decide what size block you want to make draw a block and then turn it to measure it diagonally and add 1/2" for the width of the strip you will need. To get the length, measure from the diagonal line to the corner tip of the block, add 1/4" and that will give you the size of your strips.

As far as waste, there should be some nice triangles to use in another project.

I found this method pretty interesting. Sure could have used it a little while back.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: paus4quilts,

Picture of Bozie
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wonder if that's the size of a square you need to cut a square on (2) 2 12" strips sewn together..

Nancy20 - you got it. Smile

It's the old Pythagorean theorem...A squared + B squared = C squared
In this case A is the 2.5" strip minus a quarter inch seam allowance so it is 2.25" and a squared is 5.06. Multiply that by 2 (since A and B are equal) and you get 10.125 for C squared. Take the square root of that and you get 3.18" .... the 3 3/16" measurement Nicki posted.

You could use any square ruler and estimate the 3 3/16 length but if you want to use a ruler having the exact dimensions you will be cutting, just do the math. As an example if you want to use a 3 1/2" square ruler then C would come out to be 3 1/2". C squared would be 12.25 so A squared and B squared would each be half of that or 6.125. The square root of 6.125 is 2.47 which would be the width of fabric strip minus the seam allowance. So you would start with 2.75" strips........

Edited to correct typo in the first paragraph. I had typed the wrong number for A squared in the first calculation. Can't type - or proof read - worth beans!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bozie,

Martha

Posts: 7191 | Location: Montana | Registered: Mar 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KC_1930
posted Hide Post
Bozie, not only are you the queen of mini quilts, but a wizard of math! Smile

http://hexagonswap.blogspot.com/

Formally known as KC1930
Original beginning date of February 9, 2008 with a total of 9,224 posts

Posts: 184 | Registered: Mar 28, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
...Oh Bozie ... I will be thinking about that all day long - wondering what you said! HAHA I really do love it when an answer is so simple!
Beingmore serious here .. thank you.

I cannot change 'things', but I can change how I feel about them. Me.

Wounded Warrior Project
www.woundedwarriorproject.org

Posts: 9144 | Location: Inland Empire, CA | Registered: Mar 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tute and the math.
One question, If the bias edges are starched really well, will that eliminate some of the stretching? In addition that we should be very careful with those edges?
Pat

Posts: 8221 | Location: Kenosha Wi USA | Registered: Sep 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
Bozie: I somehow passed that class, but remember nothing, except it had pictures. Guess I must have known they were quilts in the making! Smile

Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
Oh Bozie, that math just boggles my mind! The only reason I knew it was a 3 3/16" square is because I found it during a web search. Wink I could have never come up with it using math! Amazing! Smile

Nicki

Posts: 8507 | Location: Texas / Zone 9 | Registered: Sep 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
quote:
One question, If the bias edges are starched really well, will that eliminate some of the stretching? In addition that we should be very careful with those edges? Pat

yes to both questions. Smile

Picture of Bozie
posted Hide Post
A math wiz I'm not! But I do remember some of the cool stuff. Smile

Glad to help........

Martha

Picture of KC_1930
posted Hide Post
Please promise never to leave us again!

http://hexagonswap.blogspot.com/

Formally known as KC1930
Original beginning date of February 9, 2008 with a total of 9,224 posts

Posts: 184 | Registered: Mar 28, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paus4quilts
posted Hide Post
lollllll Thank you so much, Bozie. I think I'll stick with manipulating the block with my drawing software, though. It can do the math soooooo much better than I.

I took and passed that class also but I think it was because the teacher liked me. lolllll