Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Any interest in a "Project Thursday" ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any interest in a "Project Thursday" ? Sign In/Join 
Picture of StarrySky
posted
Alexemmarose & I were kicking this idea around yesterday, while going through Project Runway withdrawal.

We were thinking of lobbing out ideas each (?) Thursday for some sort of sewing "exercise" that you could do & then post a picture of the next Thursday, or any Thursday after you're done. (Or just check in with your progress on a Thursday if you can't post pictures.) Alex thought of revamping an old piece of clothing to make it wearable again. I thought of learning to work with zippers, either from the get-go or from a new direction. Ideas like that...

Any interest? Or is there already enough on this board and on your calendar to keep your machine and your head spinning? This could be very open-ended and without deadlines. I know that my machine can gather cobwebs for weeks at a time if there's too much else to do, so I would not want to cause stress to anyone else.

But could this idea fly at all? Any interest?

Posts: 5407 | Location: About 28,000 Light Years From Galactic Center | Registered: Jul 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PatV82
posted Hide Post
I'm in. It is these swaps that has me committing to longer periods in my sewing studio.
Perhaps we can each pick one project - show the before photo - and work solely on that project for that day. Then a progress photo. "UFO" should be my middle name - I recently found a latch hook rug kit almost finished from 1991!

www.pinterest.com/patv82

personallybypat.tumblr.com

Posts: 415 | Location: Aurora, Illinois | Registered: Jan 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking we'd leave it up to the participants to decide how long to work on each thing, or when. As I told Alex, it could be weeks til you're done & we'll just "edit that out" to make it look like you finished in a day, like the designers do on Project Runway. Big Grin

Posts: 5407 | Location: About 28,000 Light Years From Galactic Center | Registered: Jul 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm in! I would be good with any projects, ideas, techniques presented. It is all interesting and all challenging...but not too much time or stress (it might take some time to finish your project or challenge but with an open end date there is no pressure)

Posts: 3405 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KBlue
posted Hide Post
I think is sounds fun. I love learning new things and improving on techniques. Not sure I can participate every week, but will try.

Posts: 722 | Location: Oregon | Registered: Aug 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
Well let's see what we can do then. I like pushing myself a little to try something new, but I have to be very relaxed to feel creative.

So maybe we'll start with a little "challenge" next week (unless you want to start already?), and see what happens. Then add challenges (exercises, ideas, projects, whatever) on Thursdays after that, til someone has an assignment completed & can talk about it or show it.

I guess we should keep a list of topics going for Week 1, Week 2, etc. so we know which thing was from when. I'll start thinking up some ideas. I was out & about today, and a few things already came to me. (Note: One should really not be thinking about sewing while driving!)

Alex, if you want to be Too Cool For School & gain extra credit, you could get a jump start working on what you were talking about yesterday... Cool

Picture of irish62
posted Hide Post
I love this idea! I came up with some great pieces when Gonesewin ran her Project "runway" challenge last year.
I have plenty to do, but love to add to the list.
I would prefer it be a common challenge for each week. Some might do and some might not each week.
Sounds like a good start to a great plan.

Posts: 2521 | Location: batavia ny | Registered: Sep 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
I didn't participate in those, but I somewhat remember them? But then I also "somewhat remember" what I had for dinner last night, too. Confused Big Grin

This could just be something fun & easy & not too taxing, but something that gives you an idea plus a place to show the finished thing if you so desire, whenever it gets finished. And who knows...you might learn something new or "borrow" a good idea. Copying from someone else's paper is OK here. Big Grin

If you have interesting topic ideas & want to PM them to me, that would keep them kind of a surprise until they popped up some week. As I said, I thought of one or three today.

posted Hide Post
Yea Irish! I was hoping you would join in.

Kblue and Pat...welcome aboard!

Anyone else?? We would love to have you!

Starry, just so I am clear...an idea will be presented every Thursday and then anyone may work on their version of the idea, sharing pix and comments about the idea on Thursdays until their project is completed and then post a pix of said project? And, in the meantime, every Thursday a new idea will be offered and anyone can work on any of these ideas whenever they have time or wish to and can work on 2 or 3 or none at one time and then post on Thursdays for viewing or discussion?

I think it is wonderful! Always something fun to look forward to on Thursdays along with inspiration.

...so, extra credit? Guess I better step up to the challenge! Don't know how soon I will get it finished...busy time right now with springtime FINALLY here. I will get a pix taken today though of my wonderful piece in need of a makeover and get it posted next Thursday.

Posts: 3405 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Starry, just so I am clear...an idea will be presented every Thursday and then anyone may work on their version of the idea, sharing pix and comments about the idea on Thursdays until their project is completed and then post a pix of said project? And, in the meantime, every Thursday a new idea will be offered and anyone can work on any of these ideas whenever they have time or wish to and can work on 2 or 3 or none at one time and then post on Thursdays for viewing or discussion?

I couldn't have said it better myself! Cool

Except you left out the part about how cutting class, skipping school, copying off someone else's paper, and/or bringing an excuse from home is tolerated and encouraged. Nobody's going to the principal's office or staying after class to write "I will not use my good scissors to cut paper" 100 times on the board. Big Grin

Now to look through my 87512397154 bookmarks (of things I thought would be cool to make someday) for ideas!

Picture of NICUnurse
posted Hide Post
This sounds like so much fun! I haven't been able to do anything in awhile. I did make a fleece baby blanket and another baby blanket for a friend. The 2nd one was a pre-quilted with teddy bears and I just added binding.

I need to learn how to post pics on this laptop-hven't done that in awhile either. I've kinda been in a funk for a couple years. Now I'm swimming in wedding stuff! it's coming fast-June 7th in Pensacola-so much to do yet!!

I've had a project on the back burner for awhile. It's a Scotts tape holder that's a shoe. I wanted to bead it up and give to my DD for her desk at home. I'm going round and round about design and how to do it. I've alreay bought the seed beads in her wedding colors. It's black plastic. Her shower is next Saturday. I've about got stuff arranged on that.

WHEW!! I'm tired just thinking about all I have left to do!!!

PamSmile

Posts: 5691 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: Jan 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Pammy! Hopefully you can join us when your busy time is over. Weddings are such wonderful thing...a true blessing for the happy couple and truly happy when they are OVER for the parents!

We will look for you back here when you can breathe again.

Picture of fishingwidow
posted Hide Post
This is rather intriguing and I think I want to give it a try.

Mary

Posts: 3928 | Location: On the north coast | Registered: Sep 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yea! Mary! Just come back by here next Thursday and Starry will be posting our first challenge!

Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
● ● ● I've never watched the show, but I loved the challenges Gonesewin hosted last year. I am intrigued, but so overwhelmed right now, I can not commit to anything. Although, you know me, if it sets off a spark, I won't be able to contain it.

I do like the NO DEADLINE feature. I'll be watching for more details. Sounds like a great idea.

Life without quilting is not an option! • • • • • MY Photos • • • • • • ENJOY!

Have you met my Circle of Friends? • • • • • • • PJ Party Tutorials

• • • Please! Support OUR Troops: Gratitude Campaign • • •

Posts: 9611 | Location: SE Wisconsin | Registered: Aug 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello Jayardi!! Great to see you! Yes, please do keep following along...this should be an interesting thread with interesting eye candy for inspiration. If you decide at some point to join in we would love to have you! You might even decide to do Week #1 project 6 months from now and that would be fine...no deadlines...just inspiration and sharing.

Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
Hi - checking in. It's been another fun week of doctor visits & tests & we're only up to Tuesday! See why I can't have deadlines? Razz

Yes, I plan to start a new thread this Thursday with a little "project" idea. Very open-ended, and it's going to be up to you how you interpret the idea. Smile

Thursday of next week, I'll start a second thread with a new idea, and you can post there what you've finished from the first week, if anything. But you don't have a week as a deadline...whenever! All we'll ask is that you identify which week or "challenge" your creation fits into, so we know. I'll keep a running list of the weekly topics, probably in each Thursday's post.

All rules are off for Project Thursday. If you've already made something that fits the category & you want to share that, then it counts for credit, no further sewing required! Big Grin

Nobody's keeping score, nobody's judging, nothing to mail, just play along if you want. We needed something to make Thursdays special again til Tim & the designers return! Cool

Maybe just maybe this will kick-start me to get going on some Christmas presents... HOW DID WE GET TO THE MIDDLE OF MAY ALREADY?! Eek

Picture of PatV82
posted Hide Post
StarrySky - I can completely relate to too many dr appointments (Myself, Daughter and now my sewing machine).
So I'll check for a new thread on Thursday with our May 16, 2013 Thursday Project.

www.pinterest.com/patv82

personallybypat.tumblr.com

Posts: 415 | Location: Aurora, Illinois | Registered: Jan 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...one more day until challenge time!

Picture of CQwannabe
posted Hide Post
I am over booked with things but love a challenge. I'll follow and participate when I can.

Posts: 2670 | Location: Libertyville IL | Registered: May 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post