Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

batiks ?? Sign In/Join 
Picture of emb115724
posted
I bought these 3 pcs at discount store and want to know if they would be consider as Batiks they have the marble color look, and Im not familiar with Batiks that much but did check some web sites and I want to use these in the rail fence swap

" Prayer is for the soul what nourishments is for the body."

Posts: 877 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of emb115724
posted Hide Post
another pic

Posts: 877 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
What do they look like on the back? Batiks are hard to tell front from back -- hardly any color or pattern difference.

There are a lot of "marble" looks out there, but the giveaway is that they look very different on the back (like they've been printed on the front only).

Adding:

I just looked at the blue one again -- I see white selvage. That is probably a marble, printed. Most batiks have same-color selvage, also hard to tell from the main part of the fabric.

Batiks can feel different from other fabric, too. If you rub them against each other, they almost squeak (well, a raspy sound). They feel "hard" and sometimes "polished." The weave is often tight. If you scratch your finger against them, it feels different from other cottons -- that "hard" feel.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: StarrySky,

Posts: 5766 | Location: About 28,000 Light Years From Galactic Center | Registered: Jul 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of emb115724
posted Hide Post
They are tight woven and heaver than regular cottons

Picture of DJillM
posted Hide Post
I am pretty sure they are not batiks.

Posts: 160 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
My batiks aren't "heavy" -- they feel more like garment "shirting" fabric, made with a fine thread.

The green one -- I can almost make out a different colored (lighter) back in the first picture. They do look like marbles.

Do you have a quilt shop anywhere nearby? They'd know in an instant, and can show you what batiks look & feel like. If you wet a batik it often bleeds, another give-away.

You mentioned discount store. I've never been able to find a good batik there, only at a LQS. JoAnn's has had some stuff they've labeled as batik, but I don't think it can compare to a LQS batik. JA's stuff looks kind of "tie-dyed" when put next to a LQS batik, and it can feel different.

But marbles are nice! I use them for blenders & borders. You could get a lot of quilting mileage out of these pieces, even if they're not batik.

Posts: 5766 | Location: About 28,000 Light Years From Galactic Center | Registered: Jul 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
Here's an article that shows right/wrong sides of batik (reds) and their "look-alikes" (purple & brown):

http://blog.shopmartingale.com...uilting-with-batiks/

Picture of KaylaQuilts
posted Hide Post
I agree with those above I work mostly with Batiks and think these are not

Kayla

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream"
-Edgar Allan Poe-

Posts: 760 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: Jan 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of emb115724
posted Hide Post
ok thanks girls won't use them in this swap, must be marbles

Picture of Missmommy
posted Hide Post
Nope, not batiks.

Posts: 3337 | Location: NY | Registered: Aug 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like "blenders" to me.

Posts: 159 | Location: Lombard, IL USA | Registered: Sep 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post