Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Random star quilt
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Random star quilt Sign In/Join 
Picture of nlk
posted
I am looking for a pattern that I think I saw here recently. It had random sized stars on the quilt & I think it was in shades of blue. I think it was similar to Bonnie Hunter's Random Ohio Stars quilt shown here:

http://quiltville.blogspot.com...ndom-ohio-stars.html

I have been given the honorable privledge of being asked to make a lap quilt for a friend of mine who recently lost her dad. He was 92 & a very, very dear man & I truly loved him. She has asked if I would make a quilt from some of his shirts, hankies & p.j.'s. It's a funny thing because I was going to ask her if I could do this for her but wasn't sure of the right time to ask & she phoned me today & asked me. It will be a scrappy quilt & I love the look of the one made by Bonnie Hunter.

I was thinking of changing it up a bit by using the Indiana Puzzle Block on Quiler's Cache since he was from Indiana. But I stil want to do it in the radom look.

Here's another delima. I can only find the Indiana Puzzle Block in a 9" block & I would like some smaller ones also. I'm thinking someone on this board with math skills could help me reduce the block pattern but not so small that I have to paper piece it.

These are just things running through my mind right now as I have not had long to think about it yet. Who knows, I may completely change my mind after I see what she brings to me for the quilt.

Thanks for all the help.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nlk,

Nicki

Posts: 7939 | Location: Texas / Zone 9 | Registered: Sep 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
I believe you're think of the blue and white star quilt that was one of the drawing quilts at Branson. The one I'm thinking of is gorgeous.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6231 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bozie
posted Hide Post
I can help you with making the Indiana Puzzle block as shown on Quilters Cache in just about any size you want. The square in a square center patch may need pp depending on the size you want the block to be. If you want the block to finish at 6", 3", or 1.5" you can cut the patches using lines on the usual cutting rulers.

Personally, I'd use those measurements only for the center square and cut the other pieces a bit oversize then trim the patches before assembling the block. Smile

Martha

Posts: 6998 | Location: Montana | Registered: Mar 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
Oh Bozie, thank you so much. I will definately call on you if that's what I decide on. I'm so undecided as to what I'm going to do right now. Thoughts keep running through my head.

Nicki

Posts: 7939 | Location: Texas / Zone 9 | Registered: Sep 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lisa - TX
posted Hide Post
Nicki, I have some pictures of quilts like the one that you are describing and you could plug in the block(s) that you are interested in.

Using components in 3", 6", 9" or 12" sizes, you can work things to fit together. It definitely helps to look at things on graph paper.

Posts: 5027 | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paus4quilts
posted Hide Post
nlk, if the block you're thinking about doing is 9" and you want 12" just change the unit measurement to 4" (finished). It's a basic 9 patch block so the enlargement is rather easy.

Works the same way if you want to make the block smaller. Decide on the size you want and divide by 3 since there are 3 units to a row. If you want a 7 1/2" finished block, divide 7 1/2 by 3 = 2 1/2".

For me, I wouldn't make the block much smaller than 6" finished. That center unit will be mighty tiny.

But you can make the block larger; just divide the size by 3 to get the unit size.

Bozie does those fantastic minis so I'm sure she could help you go smaller.

Oh, congratulations on being asked by your friend. I know that makes you feel good.

Posts: 5917 | Registered: Aug 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
Sawtooth star is one I've used a lot because the center is great place to show off special fabrics. You can also do a block inside the star and since it's based on four, it's easy to resize it. I like 4", 8" and 12" blocks more than 3", 6" and 9" blocks.

Posts: 7034 | Registered: Mar 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
Using a block with a square in the center allows you to print some photos on fabric and include them. I'm working on a challenge quilt right now. We were to use flip flops. I have a great fabric that looks like sand and others that are fish, boats, lake houses, kites, and hot air balloons. I loved the fabrics so fussy cut out my favorites and am using a shadow block. I appliqued the flip flops around the border. When I quilt it I plan to put footprints in the sand. Because I wanted it to look like my vacation I decided to print photos on fabric from my family vacations. I have my DIL snorkeling, the kids deep sea fishing, the men practicing golf at the lake house, my grandsons flying kites on the beach, my son-in-law and oldest grandson parasailing over Galveston Bay, and my DD and I riding in a hot air balloon. This quilt is going to make me SOOO happy! Photos are a wonderful way to add a memory kick to a special quilt. I got my photo fabric packs from Joanns and it's easy with an ink jet printer. Do NOT use a laser printer!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: EvelynB,

Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post

Picture of paus4quilts
posted Hide Post
That Indiana Star makes a nice quilt.

I used the layout from Quiltville and I think it looks pretty good.

Posts: 5917 | Registered: Aug 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love the idea that EvelynB had of printing photos on fabric and including them in the center of the star blocks. I make memory items and have never thought of including pictures.

Wanda

Posts: 1729 | Registered: Jul 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't wait to see both Nicki and EvelynB's quilts!
Susan

Posts: 706 | Location: West Central Ohio, USA | Registered: Dec 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
Paus4quilt's layout is great. You could put some photos in the plain blocks.

Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
Oh my gosh, y'all have been so helpful.
Paus, thanks for that layout. It's really hard for me to visualize things in my mind. That really, really helps me. I'm thinking I am going to want 12" blocks for the larger ones & 6" for the smaller. But I will make that decision later. I'll ask her about photos but I've never printed photos for quilts but I'll see what she has in the way of pictures.

Nicki