Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Would you be interested in Dupioni silk and/or silk ribbon?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Would you be interested in Dupioni silk and/or silk ribbon? Sign In/Join 
Picture of Lisa - TX
posted
Well friends, I was going about my business today and happened into a store that is clearing out a bunch of Dupioni silk and I got to thinking about another silk buy in. We did smaller squares in the past--around 10", but was thinking that we might want bigger pieces this time around.

There are about a dozen different colors and I was thinking about pieces around 12" x 21" each.

They sell silk ribbon also in loads of colors. They 2mm and 7 mm are available in 30 colors and the 4 mm is available in 50 colors.

What are your thoughts on the silk ribbon?

When Talia did the ribbon buy-ins, I think that she cut it into one yard pieces. Do you like that idea or would you prefer two yard pieces?

I'm just brainstorming, so I'll let others jump in with their answers to my questions or their own questions and see where to go from here.

Based upon the responses, I could work up the numbers. Of course, the more silk ribbon, the more expensive it would be. Shipping wouldn't be bad since it is all lightweight. The most the shipping would be would be the cost of the small flat rate priority box, or the standard flat rate priority envelope.

Lisa

Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lisa - TX,

Posts: 5028 | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lisa - TX
posted Hide Post
In doing some figuring, I just wanted to mention that we get a better price per yard on the silk ribbon if we go with the packs that include all colors.

I didn't mention anything about the 13mm silk ribbon, but they offer that also in 15 colors.

posted Hide Post
I'd be in for this Smile Still hoping to learn someday lol. I am fine with any amount and any lengths as long as the prices are a good deal Smile

Jane_Kiwi

Posts: 1800 | Location: New Zealander livin' in NYC | Registered: Jan 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of toryam
posted Hide Post
Silk ribbon please! I can probably get at least 5 of my local ladies into a silk ribbon buy-in

Posts: 3998 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: Aug 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KC1930
posted Hide Post
Lisa, please check your email

http://hexagonswap.blogspot.com/

For donated quilts for the kids, check out the photos at
http://kc1930.blogspot.com/201...-pictures-below.html

Posts: 9225 | Location: Lewiston, Maine | Registered: Feb 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lisa - TX
posted Hide Post
Will keep you posted, Jane. The prices are great when we go in as a group and share the variety.

Charlyn, do you know what length cuts on the silk ribbon you and your group would want? All sizes and colors?

I'm getting very excited about the thought of all of that ribbon!

Will do, KC!

Picture of Lisa - TX
posted Hide Post
I've got to run out and pick up the kids from school and do evening activities, so will check in later.

posted Hide Post
Lisa...I'd be in for yardage and ribbon...

Posts: 3409 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tisme
posted Hide Post
I would take yardage and silk ribbon!

Posts: 4586 | Location: It is truly summer!! | Registered: Dec 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
Count me in for everything!

The silk fabric would be wonderful...

The silk ribbon would be glorious...even the 13mm. I use all sizes....

Edited to add: Let me "enable" some others...here are some photos with the size of ribbon used.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Shawkl,

Posts: 4614 | Location: Alabama | Registered: Nov 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
13mm for Rose, and 7mm for leaves

Posts: 4614 | Location: Alabama | Registered: Nov 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
Sorry the rose was blurry...

Daffodils... 13mm for light center, 7mm for yellow and leaves

Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
13mm for fucsia, 7mm for leaves...

So, if you work in larger scales...you need larger ribbon.

Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
4mm French Knots for this wisteria vine. I didn't stitch these...but received this on a round robin block. All other photos shared are of my own work.

Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
And lastly...these are mostly 4mm ribbon. This scale is very suitable for CQ Motif work

Picture of Lisa - TX
posted Hide Post
Lovely, Kathy, as always. Thank you for sharing the great pictures.

I'll add you to my list and will send you a PM with some other information.

Smile

Picture of Charmingsister
posted Hide Post
Lisa I would be interested in the ribbon. Mostly in the 4 with some 7mm. I'll keep checking for details. Thanks.

Great pictures Kathy.

Posts: 2569 | Location: now in the sunshine | Registered: Oct 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of toryam
posted Hide Post
All sizes, all colors. 2 yd cuts allow more flexibility but it may make the cost prohibitive to get a good color range...? I LOVED the 100 1-yard cuts Talia did, especially for beginners, that was a lot of variety to play with.

I'll know more definite about my local ladies this evening

Posts: 3998 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: Aug 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kathy, gorgeous samples of stitching with the ribbon...

Posts: 3409 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much Lisa for letting us know of the closure if your local shop. We are always looking for great deals!

And the cost of silk fabric and silk ribbon is really prohibitive to get a lot...so, this is a super piece of information.

I too miss Talia's silk ribbon buy-ins...they kept me in silk ribbon for a long time. Of course, I also think we should support our local and on-line shops...and get silk ribbon from Thearica's CrazyQuiltingSupplies site a lot...as she has the best price for single packages of ribbon.

There are other places I like to go to for specialty ribbon too...and use silkribbon.com for bulk ribbon. But, you are just getting one single color per roll...so I can only get a couple at a time in bulk.

Anyway...I digress...THANKS for doing this for us!

Picture of SC Lady
posted Hide Post
I think two to three yard lengths of ribbon would be great The large pieces of silk material also would be great. Will watch this to see more info

Libby

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." ~~~Dalai Lama

Posts: 3953 | Location: Lower Va. | Registered: Mar 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kentucky_Sunshine
posted Hide Post
I still have some from Talia's buy in, but would love more, I have stitched several items this year and am totally biten by the CQ bug Big Grin

" Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.. "

Posts: 7023 | Location: "Across the ocean blue amongst the wildflower's & honeydews" | Registered: Aug 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lisa - TX
posted Hide Post
Have sent some PMs and will send one to Libby and Trish in a few minutes.

Smile

Picture of toryam
posted Hide Post
The bad weather has everybody stuck at home so now am waiting for emails from the local ladies. I you can't wait on us, go ahead with your plans.

Picture of Lisa - TX
posted Hide Post
I'll be fine waiting. Take care and hope that the weather doesn't get too bad!

Picture of toryam
posted Hide Post
One more on board, waiting on her list

Picture of Happy Erme
posted Hide Post
Please include me in for the silk ribbon.

edit; all sizes, all 15 colors for me, please. I am getting very low and we do have the CQ RR coming up. Thanks for doing this Lisa.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Happy Erme,

Erma

Smile Craft Happens! Smile

Posts: 3123 | Location: TX | Registered: Mar 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lisa - TX
posted Hide Post
I'll send you a PM, Erma Smile.

So far, I don't think that I have missed anyone.

I did some shopping today--couldn't help myself and wanted to get a jump start Big Grin.

Picture of Kay-lin
posted Hide Post
Wave I'm interested in the fabric. And I didn't know I was interested in the wider ribbons until I saw Kathy's pictures. Smile Could you send me information?

Posts: 4380 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Jun 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lisa - TX
posted Hide Post
Will do, Kay-lin. I need to calculate where we are with the purchases I made yesterday and see how many more spots would be available. I bought all of the fabric and some ribbon to start.

posted Hide Post
If there is still space I would be interested depending on cost. My phone doesn't send PMs so I will go on a computer later. I would have to know an approximate cost before saying yes for sure

Posts: 1659 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Aug 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sent you a PM

Posts: 1659 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Aug 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AuntJo
posted Hide Post
Kathy
Your ribbon work is outstanding!!

I'd be interested in the buy in too. I am still learning but if there is a spot available I'd love to participate.
Sending you a PM Lisa.

Posts: 4307 | Location: N.Y., USA | Registered: May 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of warm buns
posted Hide Post
I am in for both. I love working with the Dupioni silks. I will go along with whatever you all decided.

Posts: 3613 | Location: Elvis, birthplace | Registered: Nov 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lisa - TX
posted Hide Post
I'll send a PM to AuntJo and warm buns shortly.

Smile

Picture of califgal
posted Hide Post
i would be interested in the Dupioni silk and the 4 mm ribbons in the 30 colors.

patsy

This message has been edited. Last edited by: califgal,

Posts: 3440 | Registered: Sep 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lisa - TX
posted Hide Post
I'll send you a PM, Patsy.

Smile

Picture of califgal
posted Hide Post
ty lisa i got it, will let you know real soon,what i want but i have to ask these ladies a question about the ribbon.

when you make the flowers (roses) and leaves do u use the 2mm or 4 mm ribbon??? which do u use the most?

patsy

This message has been edited. Last edited by: califgal,

Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
Patsy,

My answer is...it depends on what I'm working on.

For smaller scale projects, like crazy quilt blocks...I use a lot of 4mm and 7mm. I also use the 2mm and 13mm...just not as often for CQ work.

For larger scale projects like pillows, hats, clothing, etc...I use a lot of 13mm and 7mm...with a little 4mm thrown in.

2mm ribbon is mostly reserved for French knots in my house.

Hugs, hope this helps you out.

Picture of Lisa - TX
posted Hide Post
Thank you for jumping in with your knowledge, Kathy Smile.

I'm hoping to do a lot more ribbon work in the coming year, but I don't think that I'll use as much 2mm as I will the other widths. Still nice to have for when the need arises.

Picture of califgal
posted Hide Post
thank you Kathy

Picture of Lisa - TX
posted Hide Post
Just a note to say that I have tallied up everything so far and have a handful of spots remaining. One of the original people interested is still calculating their needs, so I'm waiting to hear back from her before I can nail down exactly how much remains. The reason for the cut off is that there would have to be enough demand to justify ordering a whole extra batch, which is quite pricy. So, now is the time to jump in if you are interested. You can post a note here and I'll send you the details by PM, or just send me a PM and I'll reply with the details.

Smile

Picture of SC Lady
posted Hide Post
Sent you PM

Libby

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." ~~~Dalai Lama

Posts: 3953 | Location: Lower Va. | Registered: Mar 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My washing machine decided to break on Sunday, so there went my extra spending money. Someone else can have my spot.

Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
Sent you a PM Lisa...on the old one.

Hugs,

Picture of gemsq
posted Hide Post
Hi, I'm always interested in the ribbon to enlarge my stash! Now I gotta get focused and use it! as I love the look. I'll send you a PM.

Posts: 731 | Location: illinois | Registered: Sep 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of califgal
posted Hide Post
i just got the silks. OMG they are beautiful. for those of you that ordered the silks you are gonna be happy happy happy. i told Lisa that i don't know if i can cut into them. the colors are fabulous!!!!

Patsy

Picture of Lisa - TX
posted Hide Post
Some ladies received yesterday and some will receive today. Waiting on a few addresses by PM and then those packages will go out. A few more are sending payment and then I'll get their packages sent.

I should have a few more sets if there is anyone else that was on the fence. I bought some extra, just in case Cool. Just send me a PM or post a note here and I'll send you the details.

Picture of PatV82
posted Hide Post
Lisa - That store wasn't Pursley's in Midlothian was it? The best button store I have ever been to - millions of buttons all in plastic fishing lure boxes. Tons of fabric, zippers, etc.. Five cents, 10 cents, etc.. I had heard they were going out of business. I'm jealous.

www.pinterest.com/patv82

personallybypat.tumblr.com

Posts: 425 | Location: Aurora, Illinois | Registered: Jan 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lisa - TX
posted Hide Post
It is a different place, Pat. It is a store here in Texas. They aren't closing, they are just selling off their Dupioni silk fabric. They are still going to carry fabric and silk ribbon.

Smile