Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  The height of laziness...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The height of laziness... Sign In/Join 
Picture of StarrySky
posted
I may have achieved it tonight. I "ironed" a wrinkle out of a piece of fabric by running it over the light bulb in my desk lamp, because I was too lazy to get up & go to the ironing board. Now that's about as lazy as you can get. Razz

Posts: 5417 | Location: About 28,000 Light Years From Galactic Center | Registered: Jul 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltzilla
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6621 | Registered: Aug 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
How very clever! I moved my iron across my room to force me to get out of my chair when i sew. But where's a lamp I can move?

Posts: 7001 | Registered: Mar 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of quilting wifey
posted Hide Post
Not lazy, just inventive!!!

According to my brother Dad used to say that it was the lazy people that came up with inventions because they wanted an easier way to do things.

Madelyn

Posts: 6035 | Location: SE MN | Registered: Jan 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
brilliant!!!!

my lamps are tooooooo dusty...

"It's bad to supress laughter. It goes back down and spreads to your hips."

Posts: 8386 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kay-lin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nancyc20:
my lamps are tooooooo dusty...

Big Grin That's exactly what I was thinking Big Grin

Posts: 4367 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Jun 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
I call that a "light bulb" moment. Wink

Nicki

Posts: 7909 | Location: Texas / Zone 9 | Registered: Sep 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shawana
posted Hide Post
I never would have thought to do that!!

Shawn

"Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best."

~ Live Well ~ Love Much ~ Laugh Often ~

http://www.flickr.com/photos/srtrn/sets/

Posts: 3564 | Location: WV | Registered: Dec 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltinana2
posted Hide Post
Brilliant! I prefer "the height of creativity" instead of "laziness"!

Or how about - efficiency of movement?

Posts: 377 | Location: Middle of the Mitten | Registered: Apr 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KaylaQuilts
posted Hide Post
BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!

Kayla

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream"
-Edgar Allan Poe-

Posts: 694 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: Jan 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well if your light bulb is dusty, and you iron with it... you are dusting at the same time as ironing, right? Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 1790 | Location: New Zealander livin' in NYC | Registered: Jan 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of califshrimp
posted Hide Post
Excellent use of time and effort.
LOVE IT!!!

I want to be the kind of woman that when my feet hit the floor each morning the devil says: "Oh NO! She's UP!"

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Apr 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AuntJo
posted Hide Post
Very clever!!

Posts: 4296 | Location: N.Y., USA | Registered: May 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Joyce
posted Hide Post
No, not lazy, you are keeping those creative juices moving.

Posts: 917 | Location: Washington | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
LOL -- it's an architect's lamp -- the bulb hangs down & can't collect dust. Just about the ONLY thing around here that doesn't. Big Grin You have to use an old incandescent bulb, though, or it won't "iron" for you. The Original Easy-Bake Iron. Smile

Posts: 5417 | Location: About 28,000 Light Years From Galactic Center | Registered: Jul 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
lol, never thought of that. We quilts are inventive people.

Posts: 15197 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Annon
posted Hide Post
I've pressed a small wrinkle out of a blouse with a flat iron hair straightener!

Posts: 3540 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Handie Ann
posted Hide Post
40 years or so ago when my DD was little and would ware the small puffy sleve dresses I would iron the sleves by running them over a light bulb I could never get a iron in the sleves.

Handie Ann

Posts: 3429 | Location: Des Moines, Wa. USA | Registered: Jan 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NICUnurse
posted Hide Post
I've used the curling iron to iron ribbon!

Pam

Posts: 5693 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: Jan 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
I call it making do... Chris

Posts: 5852 | Location: Tampa Bay | Registered: Jan 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motqltr
posted Hide Post
ingenious!!
My light bulbs are not only dustier but on the ceiling.
I will piece a whole quilt w/o ironing cuz I don't want to get up (or too lazy). Then when ironing a queen size quilt, I think it was so stupid. It just seems to take so long to iron

http://flickr.com/photos/motqltr
~Don't assume people have a plan; they might be waiting for you to tell them the plan!~

Posts: 3532 | Location: southeast, Washington, USA | Registered: May 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muggomuggo
posted Hide Post
Not lazy... efficient with time and energy with a large portion of brilliance!!

my philosophy: there are no real mistakes in quilting, just design opportunities!!

Posts: 4557 | Location: maybe Texas someday | Registered: Jul 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Necessity is the mother of invention!!

DM taught me to "iron" when we were on vacation. After doing laundry (we were gone a couple of weeks...2 adults and 3 kids) she took one of DDs shirts and the button placket had folded on itself. She straightened it and shimmied it up and down the table edge.

Posts: 16464 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
I remember puffed-sleeved dresses! My mom not only ironed them for me, she made them for me, too. That was one of her favorite types of sleeves to sew, because you could adjust the gathers & the fit.

I don't know how she ironed the sleeves so perfectly, but she did. She didn't use a tailor's ham or sleeve board, just the ironing board. She was a STICKLER for ironing things perfectly! She could get a crease on my pants that would just about give me a paper cut.

Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Have y'all heard the story about the little girl on Easter morning. The preacher had all the little kids come forward for a quick children's church on Easter. He complimented one little girl's dress. She said that her mama said it was a b**** to iron.

Posts: 16464 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I run silk ribbon over a light bulb to take the crease out of it before I use it to embroider. Works wonders and I always have a light handy.

Posts: 117 | Registered: Sep 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paus4quilts
posted Hide Post
Necessity is the Mother of invention, they say. Reads as if there were a lot of necessities. lollll

Posts: 5887 | Registered: Aug 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
I needed to iron a shirt tonight, and I thought of the lightbulb...but it wasn't a lightbulb moment...toooooooooooooo wrinkled. SO, I got a washcloth wet and threw the shirt and it in the dryer for a few minutes. The dampness transferred to the shirt and with some Best Press it ironed beautifully!

"It's bad to supress laughter. It goes back down and spreads to your hips."

Posts: 8386 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of royalboomer
posted Hide Post
I think that is pretty cool - I would never have even considered doing that.

Posts: 6441 | Location: Great Midwest | Registered: Oct 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Coco  Cathy
posted Hide Post
lol you are so funny. That was pretty creative.

Posts: 2942 | Location: Riverside,Ca... | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post