Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Original Sewing & Quilt Expo
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Original Sewing & Quilt Expo Sign In/Join 
Picture of suewho
posted
Hi, all,
I don't post very often, but check the board regularly and learn some new tips, tricks, techniques from your amazing members. I value your opinions highly.
On that note, I received, in the mail, an announcement that the "Original Sewing & Quilt Expo" will be about 2 1/2 hours from me in August. Visiting their site, it seems that they concentrate more on sewing than quilting and what classes they do have for quilting are geared towards beginners.
Has anyone been to one of their expos? What was your impression? Would hate to feel like I wasted time, energy and money to have just a small quilt gallery and no classes I'd be interested in attending.
Thank you for your opinions. Much appreciated

Posts: 110 | Location: NW Pennsylvania | Registered: Sep 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GAQuilter
posted Hide Post
Hey Sue!

I go every year, I want to take their classes, but time is not on my side. They also have a quilt expo, geared more for all levels of quilting. Here we have them in Sept/October and March.

I love to go, I get inspired by the quilts and see all the latest gadgets... Both shows have quilts to be inspired by and gadgets. I drool over the longarms and get to play with them too! There are make it and take its, but watch them some you have to pay to do! I avoid those, save my money for fabric.

There are several fabric vendors at these, and more.

I may take classes next round because they are moving the location and it is a bit of a haul. I think I may do even a beginner class as I may pick up a new technique or trick or two. Big Grin

Group Hug

I can do what you can’t do, and you can do what I can’t do; together we can do great things.— Mother Teresa

http://picasaweb.google.com/GAquilter

Posts: 2605 | Location: GA | Registered: Jul 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of suewho
posted Hide Post
Thank you for sharing your experience. Think I'll give it a go. Got a coupon to get free admission for a friend and I'll watch out for the pay to learn lessons and key in on the pretty fabrics.

Posts: 110 | Location: NW Pennsylvania | Registered: Sep 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
Haven't been in years since they moved it to downtown Tampa and now Lakeland, but I have been in the past. The first one after we moved here in 1999, i took all three days of classes. Several years after that I went on Saturday and took the free classes, toured the vendors, watched the noon fashion show & saw the exhibits which usually included the Hoffman challenge dolls and other guilt ones. If Jim Susio is giving a class or demonstration, see it if you can as he is fantastic.

Hope to go this year unless there is a quilt show I want to go to more... Chris

Posts: 5863 | Location: Tampa Bay | Registered: Jan 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of brendadawg
posted Hide Post
I love the Expo and always try to go to the one in Atlanta. They have a wealth of vendors with fabric, threads, scissors, all sorts of gadgets, as well as a few quilts. As I recall, it used to be "Sewing and Quilting Expo" but now we have a separate Quilting expo in the Atlanta area. Of course, I do lots of sewing crafts/projects other than quilts, so maybe that's the attraction for me.

Posts: 556 | Location: GA/MN | Registered: Sep 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of suewho
posted Hide Post
Lsdies, thank you for sharing your opinion. I'm going to give it a try.

I don't see Jim Sosio's name as a faculty member though.