Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  2014 "I Believe In Snowmen" Sew Along - 1st Installment - WINNER POSTED!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2014 "I Believe In Snowmen" Sew Along - 1st Installment - WINNER POSTED! Sign In/Join 
Picture of DJBrown
posted Hide Post
Ok, they need to be trimmed and I'm not sure to what size. But the instructions are on my desk at work. Don't ask.... So for now here they are, blue and gray says snow to me Smile

Posts: 987 | Registered: Mar 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DJBrown
posted Hide Post
Actually those log cabin blocks are all pieced. One or two of those may need to be replaced, they just doesn't have much contrast.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DJBrown,

Posts: 987 | Registered: Mar 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CBQ...love your blocks and log cabins! I did consider and all red and white pallet...do like it a lot!

DJ...I also love your blues! You are right, they do look cold in the blues/white/greys...very nice!

Posts: 3493 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of darn75
posted Hide Post
OH wow, all the blocks look great. Fun to see them done in other colors as well - may have to do more than one!

Posts: 472 | Registered: Oct 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shequilts
posted Hide Post
I finished my first set of block and embroidery, but had trouble loading the picture. I'm trying again.

They all look amazing! I'm making mine blue and white.

Sew, sew, and sew some more that's my motto!

Posts: 733 | Location: Eaton, OH  | Registered: Apr 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
The blocks are looking awesome ladies!

www.pigtalesandquilts.com
www.crazyquiltingsupplies.com

Crazy Quilting is addictive so we just have to STITCH IT OUT LOUD!

Posts: 25843 | Location: USA | Registered: Oct 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shequilts...I really like your slightly darker blues and whites...

Everyone's work is looking so great! Makes me want to make each colorway you show!

Posts: 3493 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fishingwidow
posted Hide Post
All the blocks look great ladies. I too am making mine in blues. I have one to finish the embroidery and then I will post mine.

Mary

Posts: 4018 | Location: On the north coast | Registered: Sep 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ivy_cottage81
posted Hide Post
OH! I want to make a blue set, too!!! Beautiful!

Here are mine...

ivy

Posts: 767 | Registered: May 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of warm buns
posted Hide Post
ATTENTION LADIES!!!!!!

I don't know how far many of you are in this process. I went out to my sewing room and was cutting fabrics for the log cabins blocks.

I have a problem with focusing so I decided to cut the background for the reindeer and stars at the top and the houses and snowmen in a cup at the bottom.

I cut my background for the snowmen and houses at the bottom by the directions which is 13 1/2 by 34 1/2. I laid the fabric on top of the pattern to draw the embroidery lines on the fabric. The 34 1/2 inches is way to short to accommodate the lay out on the pattern.

I recut another piece 13 1/2 by LOF and drew my embroidery lines and house placements.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Quiltaholic have you looked at this part of the pattern yet?

On that row at the bottom to the left is a star surrounded by the background. on the left of the star you have a lot of background fabric showing. I am going to use the longer strip of white that will accommodate my pattern and altar the amount of background that is on the left side of the star.

Posts: 3629 | Location: Elvis, birthplace | Registered: Nov 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of warm buns
posted Hide Post
Oh BTW I simply love the blues especially the darker blues. If I did one out of my blue stash, it would be dark also because my stash goes from medium to dark. Lights just don't appeal to me when I am shopping so my stash is lacking in the lighter tones.

The only fabric I have bought for this project is some white Kona cotton for the backs and I bought it at Mary Jo's last October and they have just now shipped it to me. They were out of the black and white when Pam and I stopped in there on the way to Odenville.

Posts: 3629 | Location: Elvis, birthplace | Registered: Nov 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crazy'boutquilts
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up WB~ I haven't even looked that far ahead.

Posts: 10537 | Location: Washington! :-) | Registered: Sep 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Picture of Kay-lin
posted Hide Post
I love all the blocks. If Miss Bunny Hill was expecting all red and white quilts, she is going to be surprised. Smile

I have my computer back - I don't know if it's permanent. Geek Squad told me on Friday that they couldn't fix it. They gave me the 800 number for the manufacturer, but said I'd probably have to buy a new computer. I was going to call the company on my day off this coming Tuesday. In the meantime I thought I would decide now whether I wanted a new 17" or go back to a 15". I opened this computer up, and an old 15" with no internet, to compare the screens. I plugged in the old one to see if it still worked, and I went ahead and plugged in this one, too. It came on!! I had tried it any number of times, with battery and with cord, since Thursday, with nothing happening. I don't know what was different today. So for now, I have a computer, but I don't know if it will last.

Posts: 4459 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Jun 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ivy_cottage81
posted Hide Post
awww, thanks alexemmarose.... I really must consider those blues, though. So very pretty.

Hey, Bunsie! I am probably the LAST person to even comment on that bottom applique / stitching portion (don't ask)... but it appears the one little snowman in the cup ( left side ) will be stitched on the star fabric portion... the 8 1/2 by 7 1/2 lower portion of the star section. Make sense?

Anyone else care to chime in?

ivy

Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
I sent Ann an email about the directions...

Posts: 25843 | Location: USA | Registered: Oct 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mw8930
posted Hide Post
Everyone's block are looking great! I hope to finish mine up this week.

Marj

Posts: 310 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: Nov 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shequilts
posted Hide Post
Thanks Alexemmarose.
I agree I like all the colors reds, browns, blues and the scrappy look too. Thanks for the heads up I'm not there yet but it is good to know ahead of time.

Posts: 733 | Location: Eaton, OH  | Registered: Apr 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shey..
posted Hide Post
here are my blocks.. (i have finished all the log cabin blocks but only showing the 2 here)..

i decided to go with a gold black and white theme.. with gold embroidery.. so far.. i love it!!.. but i'm also drawn to the blues and the reds shown.. might be another quilt in my future in a different colour.. lol

This message has been edited. Last edited by: shey..,

shey..

my blog.. http://sheysstitchinmagic.blogspot.com/

"come hell .. come high water... you push on me.. i'm gonna push back harder... i got a whole lot more than a little bit left...

Posts: 3484 | Location: FL | Registered: Jun 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ivy_cottage81
posted Hide Post
BEAUTIFUL color combination, shey!
I love it, too!!!

Seems a few of us may have another quilt in our future with a different color combination! I love those blues, too! AND, can't wait to see more of SHAWKLs.

ivy

Picture of shey..
posted Hide Post
Thanks.. Smile

and all stash too Ivy.. only had to buy the pellon interfacing for the backing of the embroidery blocks.. (i did get the 101.. and i must say i like it).. and a few more skeins of the gold DMC.. i'm trying real hard to use stash if i can..

shey..

my blog.. http://sheysstitchinmagic.blogspot.com/

"come hell .. come high water... you push on me.. i'm gonna push back harder... i got a whole lot more than a little bit left...

Posts: 3484 | Location: FL | Registered: Jun 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mw8930
posted Hide Post
shey - NICE! I love your blocks.

Shawkl - I'm going to try your technique. You always have the best suggestions and advise.

I just want yo sew and now I have to work. Sigh.

Marj

Posts: 310 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: Nov 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shey, love your color combo! Beautiful! These will be beautiful blocks and quilt.

Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
Shey.. your color scheme is gorgeous!

Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
Attention:

I got this email from Anne about the bottom strip for those of you working ahead...

Hi Thearica,

Just tell your ladies that they need to sew the pieced blocks on the left, to the main background before they put on the applique and trace the snowmen cups . (Assemble the entire background then applique). If you look at the picture you can see the last snowmen on the left goes under the star block. Hope this helps.

Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
Pat Sloan has graciously sponsored the Installment #2 prize with a box of her delicious threads by Aurifil!

http://www.patsloan.com

Thank you Pat!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Quiltaholic,

Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
Marj,

It's a lot easier to print the designs off than to trace them!

Hugs,

Posts: 4640 | Location: Alabama | Registered: Nov 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mw8930
posted Hide Post
Shawkl - I've already traced the first two, so I'm going to try printing on the next set. I love anything that makes things go quicker and easier.

Marj

Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
We still have a few more days for installment #1... Are we going to have more names in the hat for this prize? Come on ladies. You can do it! Smile

alexemmarose Smile
shequilts Smile
darn75 Smile
ivy_cottage81 Smile
crazy'boutquilts Smile
Shawkl Smile
DJBrown Smile
shey.. Smile

tisme
mw8930
sjo
GaAngel97
warmbuns
Cr8tve1
irish62
kaylin
fishingwidow
ely
quiltingnewbie2

Picture of Quiltingnewbie2
posted Hide Post
me !!!

I am 92.67% done and hope to finish tonight or tomorrow night !

Posts: 1151 | Location: Still lost in a quilt store.... | Registered: Mar 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
5 more days... well, a little less than that but by a few hours... Smile

Picture of fishingwidow
posted Hide Post
Got mine done and here is my pic.

Mary

Posts: 4018 | Location: On the north coast | Registered: Sep 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ivy_cottage81
posted Hide Post
...another "blue." sigh
So very pretty, Mary. Just love your blues!

And did you satin stitch the little birdies, too?

ivy

Picture of fishingwidow
posted Hide Post
Ivy, yes I did satin stitch the birds. You can't tell by the picture but it is a very lite shade of blue thread that I did the wings.

I really just love this project.

Mary

posted Hide Post
fishingwidow...very pretty color blue! Another interesting take on this!

Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
2 more to add to the finishers list!

These are Ely's blocks...

Fishingwidow.. love your blue!

alexemmarose Smile
shequilts Smile
darn75 Smile
ivy_cottage81 Smile
crazy'boutquilts Smile
Shawkl Smile
DJBrown Smile
shey.. Smile
fishingwidow Smile
ely Smile
Cr8tve1 Smile
warmbuns Smile

tisme
mw8930
sjo
GaAngel97
irish62
kaylin
quiltingnewbie2

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Quiltaholic,

posted Hide Post
Ely, what a pretty color combo!

Picture of warm buns
posted Hide Post
Got mine done but I cant find my phone or my camera. Will try again tomorrow.
I worked on block seven of the merry merry snowman from last year when I finished the blocks for this sew along. I also found a winter Wonderland pattern from 2006 by crabtree hill designs that is redwork. I have the backgrounds cut on it and all the tracing done. Tomorrow I will baste them to a backing for embroidery and keep them going. I will have three going at one time.

Mw8930 I bead for one hour every morning while I drink my coffee. I am getting close to finishing the sleigh and Rudolph.

Picture of warm buns
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the premature alarm. I went bs k and looked further and figured it out. I have all my log cabins done. Tomorrow I will retrace the bottom section the correct way. Thanks Q and Ivy cottage.

Picture of warm buns
posted Hide Post
You gals need to stick to the pattern plans. I have three snowmwn quilts in the works already and yall have me planning another in blues golds and browns. They are all so pretty.

Picture of Cr8tve1
posted Hide Post
I got my first set of blocks done and have all the log cabins sewn. These two were done without using the solvy fabric, the two I did last night had solvy and I got to say, I love it so far. Have washed out the solvy yet so we will see how that goes.

Posts: 3292 | Location: Virginia Beach, VA USA | Registered: Apr 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
LOVE that green background!

posted Hide Post
Mine are done ! Just need to take pictures!!!

Posts: 1151 | Location: Still lost in a quilt store.... | Registered: Mar 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shequilts
posted Hide Post
Oh so pretty. I really like all of them. The gold is so sharp and of course the blues are great. Then you have all the red work which are awesome. I'm already planning my next one. From 1 of my prizes from the Merry Merry Snowman sew a long I ordered green pearl thread. So yep I'm making a green work quilt.

Picture of mw8930
posted Hide Post
Cr8tve1 - Oooh, love the white on the green background. See, I can't see that far outside the box.

I'm almost done with the emboidery on the second emb block. I just have to finish the arch at the top. I'll get my pieced blocks done this weekend.

Buns - I'm J! I bet they are gorgeous with the beading. I have my fabric cut and serged, the box of floss, beads, etc organized, and I will start my sleigh as soon as I get through with this month's snowmen blocks. I've been working on my Mira Bliss Fairy. She's really coming out pretty.

Marj

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mw8930,

Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
warmbuns emailed her photos to me.. So pretty in reds. Smile

Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
Love the variety everyone... Chris

Posts: 6162 | Location: Tampa Bay | Registered: Jan 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine are done...just need to trim the embroidered blocks !!!

Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
We are close to being 100% accounted for in the 1st installment... can we do it?

I have my log cabins made and have 75% of the first snowman embroidered. I think I will make the deadline myself!

alexemmarose Smile
shequilts Smile
darn75 Smile
ivy_cottage81 Smile
crazy'boutquilts Smile
Shawkl Smile
DJBrown Smile
shey.. Smile
fishingwidow Smile
ely Smile
Cr8tve1 Smile
warmbuns Smile
quiltingnewbie2 Smile

tisme
mw8930
sjo
GaAngel97
irish62
kaylin

Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
ok wow! These blocks are small but dang that embroidery takes forever! Just finished the first one.

I used the wash away stabilizer and I love that stuff! I drew the design on the stabilizer with a pen and then ironed the stabilizer to the front of the background block. Easy peasy stitching... I have it in the water soaking now but it is almost all clean.

Now to do the other embroidery block in the morning... Smile