Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  2014 "I Believe In Snowmen" Sew Along - 1st Installment - WINNER POSTED!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2014 "I Believe In Snowmen" Sew Along - 1st Installment - WINNER POSTED! Sign In/Join 
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted
Welcome to the "I Believe In Snowmen" Sew Along 2014!

Bunny Hill has a really sweet redwork snowmen BOM that is now available and would make a fabulous sew along for 2014. Visit this link to see close ups of it.

http://www.bunnyhilldesigns.co...ls/?product=ibelsnow

During the sew along, two of the redwork blocks will be due as well as two of the accompanying red/white block sections.... We will have to do it this way to be finished in time to use them for the 2014 Christmas holidays.

There is a map outline of the blocks for each installment included with your patterns. Please keep this handy and refer to it often so you do not work incorrect blocks for any current installment so your name is in for that prize.

I will be acquiring prizes from various quilt shops and everyone who uploads their photos on time each installment, will get their name in the pot for the prize offered that installment. You can only win a prize once in a 3 month period.

The owner of Bunny Hill has a video on the Fat Quarter Shop website giving a few pointers for the blocks so please go visit this link...

http://fatquartershop.blogspot...owmen-quilt-kit.html

Here is the schedule I have set up in order for us to have our quilts finished and ready to use for Christmas 2013.

I will start a brand new thread for each installment as we go. PLEASE do not upload any other photos but the current blocks we are working on. Thank you.

1. January 1 - January 28 --- Photos of EMBROIDERED BLOCKS #1 and #2 AND 2 of the red/white log cabin blocks are due to post on January 29th by 7 a.m. Eastern time. Prize will be a 35.00 gift certificate from Crazy Quilting Supplies. www.crazyquiltingsupplies.com

2. January 29 - February 25 --- Photos of EMBROIDERED BLOCKS #3 and #4 AND 2 of the red/white log cabin blocks are due to post on February 26th by 7 a.m. Eastern time. Prize will be Pat Sloan's "The Perfect Box Of Colors" thread collection by Aurifil! www.patsloan.com

3. February 26 - March 25 --- Photos of EMBROIDERED BLOCKS #5 and #6 AND 2 of the red/white log cabin blocks are due to post on March 26th by 7 a.m. Eastern time. Prize will be a 25.00 gift certificate from The Fat Quarter Shop. www.fatquartershop.com

4. March 26 - April 22 --- Photos of EMBROIDERED BLOCKS #7 and #8 AND 2 of the red/white log cabin blocks are due to post on April 23rd by 7 a.m. Eastern time.

5. April 23 - May 20 --- Photos of EMBROIDERED BLOCKS #9 and #10 AND 2 of the red/white log cabin blocks are due to post on May 21st by 7 a.m. Eastern time. Prize will be a 50.00 gift certificate from Ann of Bunny Hill Designs. http://www.bunnyhilldesigns.com

6. May 21 - June 17 --- Photos of EMBROIDERED BLOCKS #11 and #12 AND 2 of the red/white log cabin blocks are due to post on June 18th by 7 a.m. Eastern time.

7. June 18 - July 15 --- Photos of EMBROIDERED BLOCKS #13 and #14 AND 3 of the red/white log cabin blocks are due to post on July 16th by 7 a.m. Eastern time.

8. July 16 - August 12 --- Photos of EMBROIDERED BLOCKS #15 and #16 AND the last remaining log cabin block and the one star block in the lower section are due to post on August 13th by 7 a.m. Eastern time. Prize will be a 25.00 gift certificate from The Fat Quarter Shop. www.fatquartershop.com

9. August 13 - September 9 --- Photos of the reindeer and stars applique strip at the top are due to post on September 10th by 7 a.m. Eastern time.

10. September 10 - October 7 --- Photos of the lower strip which contains the 3 houses, tree, and 2 embroidered skiers is due to post by October 8th by 7 a.m. Eastern time.

11. October 8 - November 4 --- Photos of completed quilt tops are to be posted on November 5th by 7 a.m. Eastern time. All sashing and borders have been applied and it is ready for quilting! Prize will be a 25.00 gift certificate from The Fat Quarter Shop. www.fatquartershop.com

The red triangle border optional... you will not be required to put it on your quilt...but I do think it sets everything off. You can add it, leave it off, or add another style border in its place... but your quilt must have at least one finishing border on it. Smile

12. November 5 - December 10 --- Photos of finished quilts WITH binding are to be posted on December 11th by 7 a.m. Eastern time.

Then enjoy your quilts for the 2014 Christmas season!

IF you cannot upload photos to the forum as we work each installment, you can email or pm me a photo of your block and I can upload it for you. IF you need to do this do not wait until the last minute to email me the photo. ALL emailed photos should be in my inbox the day before they are due. This gives me time to re-size and get them posted on time.

Participants

alexemmarose
shequilts
warmbuns
Cr8tve1
irish62
kaylin
darn75
ivy_cottage81
crazy'boutquilts
Shawkl
fishingwidow
ely
quiltingnewbie2
DJBrown
tisme
mw8930
sjo
GaAngel97
shey..

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Quiltaholic,

www.pigtalesandquilts.com
www.crazyquiltingsupplies.com

Crazy Quilting is addictive so we just have to STITCH IT OUT LOUD!

Posts: 25847 | Location: USA | Registered: Oct 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
I think I might have changed a couple of installments toward the bottom of the above list when I made out the road map but I am not home and cannot see my list... will correct anything needed when I get home Sunday night.

Go by your road map sent with your patterns. Smile

Posts: 25847 | Location: USA | Registered: Oct 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crazy'boutquilts
posted Hide Post
Who is busy embroidering? Smile

I cut the first square last night and wish I had cut it bigger. I like using a hoop~ and it is just really small for the hoop. If you hoop too~ cut your white squares bigger! Wink

Posts: 10544 | Location: Washington! :-) | Registered: Sep 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tisme
posted Hide Post
Thanks Crazy, I am going to cut out the embroidery blocks this weekend and like hooping, so will cut bigger. This is going to be so much fun!

Posts: 4635 | Location: It is truly summer!! | Registered: Dec 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
tomorrow is light box day to trace the embroidery patterns and then get to stitching!

Posts: 3498 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of darn75
posted Hide Post
I stitched the first block 1 1/2 times yesterday. I was halfway done with it when I became very critical of my stitching! I haven't hand embroidered anything for a long time! I put that block aside and retraced and then stitched it. The 2nd attempt still isn't perfect but so much better!

Posts: 477 | Registered: Oct 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltingnewbie2
posted Hide Post
I'm waiting for the blizzard to pass so I can use the window as my light box !!!! Hopefully tomorrow I can trace a couple of the designs !

Posts: 1161 | Location: Still lost in a quilt store.... | Registered: Mar 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of irish62
posted Hide Post
#1 embroidered block done...#2 traced and ready...picked out fabrics for blocks. My quilt is going to be browns to light off whites. Subtle colors.

Posts: 2529 | Location: batavia ny | Registered: Sep 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
got all of the embroidery blocks traced today...what a job! Now to begin embroidering...am really going to try to do my best stitching...we'll see how it goes.

Posts: 3498 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
I am still in Bama but plan to start mine once I get home. Wish I had brought them with me now. we are delayed by a few days getting home.

Picture of Kay-lin
posted Hide Post
Anyone using perle cotton size 8? I could use some help.

I don't have any experience withk it, so I went looking for instructions on the internet. What I found said that size 8 was equal to 3 strands of floss.

Since the Bunny Hill lady recommends two strands of floss, I was wondering if the perle cotton size 8 would be too bulky. I kinda like the bolder look of it, but will I have trouble following the patterns? Anyone using it?

Posts: 4461 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Jun 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am also doing Crabapple Hill's 'Over the River' pattern and have been using perle 8 on that. It works fine. Just to try something different, I decided to use perle 12 on this one. One block done and I like it. I think you might like it better with 12 ~it is equivalent to 2 strands of floss... and worked well for the little birds. HTH's! Wave

Posts: 10544 | Location: Washington! :-) | Registered: Sep 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
I love Pearl 8 as it gives good coverage without the bulk.

I really prefer it because it is one ply thread and doesn't make a mess when your multi-ply threads decide to get all out of kilter...

posted Hide Post
I am glad to hear this discussion...couldn't decide what to use...I was worried #8 Perle would be too bulky but may give it a try...

Picture of Kay-lin
posted Hide Post
Thanks to both of you for the help. My LQS sold #8 only, mostly for blanket stitching around wool appliques. I ordered some #12 this morning, and I will give both a try, but I'm leaning toward #8 at the moment. It's been years since I embroidered, so the idea of good coverage is right up my alley. Smile

Posts: 4461 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Jun 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
My daughter and I went to Hobby Lobby day before yesterday and I walked around with 3 colors of Kona cotton in my buggy... wound up putting it all back... I am undecided which color scheme I want to use.

Picture of fishingwidow
posted Hide Post
Crazy, I checked out that patter - Over the Hill - that you are doing and it looks great. I might have to give that a try one day. But too much on my plate right now.

I decided on a background color and went to JoAnne's and they didn't have the shade I liked so I ordered on line. There are so very many shades of the Kona cotton so I think you shoud be able to find a color there. Also could use my 50% off coupon so I thought I got a good deal.

Mary

Mary

Posts: 4019 | Location: On the north coast | Registered: Sep 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Started embroidering...yea! Ended up going with 2 strands of J.P. Coats floss I had in my stash.

Picture of darn75
posted Hide Post
I did about half of the first block with the pearl cotton 8 but did find it too bulky for my stitching - I haven't hand embroidered for a long time so it was probably me! I redid the block using DMC floss for the smaller, tighter areas and using the pearl cotton on the larger areas. The colors are very similar and I like how it's looking now.

Picture of Cr8tve1
posted Hide Post
I transferred one pattern and hope to start on it tonight at my Monday night bee.

Posts: 3294 | Location: Virginia Beach, VA USA | Registered: Apr 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ELY/SYSSY
posted Hide Post
HI LADIES
I AM USEING PERL 8 AND IT IS GOOD.
I FINISH 5 OLREDY AND DID SOME OF THE OTHER BLOCK CUT THE STAR AND IT IS VERY SMALL.
LOVE HOW IS LOOKING WITH THE COLOR I PICK
HUGS ELY

Posts: 1782 | Location: Puerto Rico | Registered: Dec 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mw8930
posted Hide Post
Well.......I have a beautiful book put together for my quilt pattern! Q, now I know you are thinking, "Here We Go Again". My DH says I like organizing and planning way more than doing. I'm trying to break that habit and keep up with this SAL. HeHeHe!! I got all my 7" blocks cut out last night - I'm using Kona White, which I'm gonna back with a light stablizer tonight. I will trace at least the first two block to carry with me to Florida next week - Orlando and yes me and Shamu are tight, so yeah, I might not get much done.....seeing hows I'm staying at a hotel on the Sea World property (I love that place!). LOL! I am using DMC #12 in red for my embroidery. I plan to get my log cabin blocks done when I get back home and I'm gonna have my first two embroidered blocks done. :-)

Happy stitching everyone!

Marj

Posts: 314 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: Nov 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Crazy, I checked out that pattern - Over the Hill - that you are doing and it looks great. I might have to give that a try one day. But too much on my plate right now.
Thanks Mary! I have the two big strips done and am going to trace the wording this week. I can work on it in-between doing snowman blocks. LOL I just love to stitch at night. Wink

Picture of shey..
posted Hide Post
i've checked a couple of Joanns and i just can't find that interfacing that the pattern calls for.. so.. any recommendations for what to use instead??... or should i just line it with white muslin and then do the embroidery??.. i really want to get started on this.. ** feeling perplexed..

shey..

my blog.. http://sheysstitchinmagic.blogspot.com/

"come hell .. come high water... you push on me.. i'm gonna push back harder... i got a whole lot more than a little bit left...

Posts: 3485 | Location: FL | Registered: Jun 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
I haven't had a chance to check out the pattern and requirements but is it the ultra lightweight fusible?

That is what I am going to use... I can check here in Florence, AL to see if they have some if that is what you were hunting for.

Picture of shey..
posted Hide Post
hey Q...

the pattern calls for..

2 yards Pellon Designer's Lite fusible interfacing.. #845FW..

i have never worked with fusible interfacing before is there another brand or something i could look for that is comparable??..

shey..

my blog.. http://sheysstitchinmagic.blogspot.com/

"come hell .. come high water... you push on me.. i'm gonna push back harder... i got a whole lot more than a little bit left...

Posts: 3485 | Location: FL | Registered: Jun 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fishingwidow
posted Hide Post
Shey, I bought SF101 by Pellon for my fusible interfacing. My DD recommended it and she does a lot of needlework. I got it at Joanne's and it was on sale 40% off. I think regular it is 5.99 per yard. So I thought I got a good deal. It is not real wide so I bought 2 yards which I think should be enough.

Mary

Posts: 4019 | Location: On the north coast | Registered: Sep 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltingnewbie2
posted Hide Post
She's.. I bought what was called for on the pattern through fabric.com

I couldn't find it in any store either....

Posts: 1161 | Location: Still lost in a quilt store.... | Registered: Mar 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
I have a dr. apt here at 2pm and will leave a little early and go by JoAnns to see if they have it.

Picture of Kay-lin
posted Hide Post
I got it through fabric.com also.

posted Hide Post
I used the lightest weight fusible that I could find...don't remember the name or number...but it works great. I have never fused under embroidery to stitch before but I like how it stabilizes the fabric you are stitching on.

My problem is that I have terrible chemical allergies and part way through stitching my first block my anaphylaxis kicked in and got instantly allergic...throat closing and all. Particles from the fusible glue were evidently being brought to the surface air and I was breathing it in. I probably also had it on my hands and when I licked my fingers to knot my thread I was ingesting it! I stopped stitching and took my drugs. The symptoms eased off but lasted all night long. So this morning I drugged up first, pulled out a mask and started stitching (I actually had gotten all of the blocks traced, cut out and fused ahead of time for a change!). I pulled out new needles and threaded about six of them ahead of time to stitch. By the time I finished stitching the second block my anaphylaxis was kicking in again. Don't know how I will proceed...sure would like to use the pieces I have ready but not really worth the health risk. I may retrace everything on simple cloth and NOT fuse the back and continue on. Will let you know how it goes! Today I am working on the log cabin blocks instead of embroidering...

Just wanted to alert anyone else that this is possible if you have chemical allergies.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: alexemmarose,

Picture of ivy_cottage81
posted Hide Post
OH, that's terrible, alexemarose! Absolutely not worth the risk!

Anyone else NOT using fusible? I'm not.

ivy

Posts: 768 | Registered: May 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ELY/SYSSY
posted Hide Post
HI LADIES
Q I WILL SENT PICUSE LATER TODAY OF MY FIRST ONE
I DID NOT USE ANY LIGHTE WEIGHT FUSIBLE AND IT IS FINE FOR ME I NEVER USE FUSIBLE STABILIZER
I LIKE SOFT.
HUGS ELY

Posts: 1782 | Location: Puerto Rico | Registered: Dec 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kay-lin
posted Hide Post
Wow, Alexemmarose, I would toss that fusible into the trash, and take the trash bag outside to the garbage can, and put the garbage can out on the curb. That's frightening. I wouldn't even trust a mask. I'm wondering if the fusible is not okay for handwork.

The Bunny Hill lady used the fusible because she didn't want to use a hoop. She also thought it helped hide the beginning knot. Now I'm thinking the hoop isn't such a bad idea after all. Wink It's the way I always used to embroider.

And I was surprised to see her using knots all the time. I remember using a few small backstitches which were then hidden under a larger stitch. And the ends were woven into the backside of the existing stitches. Did anyone else start and stop that way?

Picture of Kay-lin
posted Hide Post
I'm going to post the link to the Bunny Hill lady's tutorial that Ivy Cottage told us about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJn3hv5V-2c

Now maybe I'll be able to find it again.Smile

Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
The link ** the tu**rial is also in the very first post on this thread. I linked ** it when the sew along began. It goes ** the Fat Quarter Shop's blog w**** you can actually see some close ups of the blocks also.

axel... That is so scary! Please do what it takes ** take care of yourself...

I bought my fabric yesterday on my trip ** the Florence JoAnn's s**re. We are delayed **** for a few extra days because my daughter has lost her baby so I may go ** the only quilt shop in the area and see if they have the patterns so I can get started.

shey.. I bought a whole bolt of the lightweight fusible and will put some in the mail ** you **day.

posted Hide Post
Hmm I had a 'trigger' word the first time, so will try again.

I am so sorry for your DD's loss,Q. Keeping y'all in my thoughts.

posted Hide Post
Oh Q, I am so very sorry for your daughter's loss. Keeping you and all of the family in my thoughts.

Picture of darn75
posted Hide Post
Q, I'm so sorry for your family's loss. Will keep all of you in my prayers and thoughts.

Picture of darn75
posted Hide Post
I could not find the interfacing they recommended for the pattern either so picked up the SF 101 also last week. I've done a couple blocks and it looks great. I'm very happy with it.

Picture of tisme
posted Hide Post
I did an embroidery BOM before can not remember what sight, but she used white flannel as a stabilizer, so that is what I use for anything calling for a stabilizer.

Q, I am so sorry for your DD, glad you could stay the few extra days to be with her.

Posts: 4635 | Location: It is truly summer!! | Registered: Dec 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kay-lin
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your family's loss.

Picture of Cr8tve1
posted Hide Post
WOW, Alexemmarose I would not put my life in jeopardy for the stabilizer. I don't use one, guess I should have been.

Q, so sorry to hear about your DD. My T & P are with you and your family.

I have the one block traced and sewn. I am having trouble transferring onto a dark fabric. I tried light box, lines don't show through. I am hoping this weekend I can transfer them all trying the glass on the front door approach.

Posts: 3294 | Location: Virginia Beach, VA USA | Registered: Apr 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
Jackie, I found a product at JoAnn's that I had never seen before.

Wash away stabilizer. It is quite thin..

I bought some of it too to draw my snowmen on and lay it on top of my background block. Once I do the stitching, I will wet it to remove.

I don't like tear always because they always loosen my stitches so I am going to try this.

Picture of mw8930
posted Hide Post
I used a light weight fusible and laid my block on the print out and traced with a fine tip lead pencil (Warm Buns gave me this technique). I've got my first two embroidery blocks traced. Hopefully, I'll get to stitch in the next couple of nights.

Q - Sorry about your family's loss. Lots of hugs to you!

Marj

Posts: 314 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: Nov 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
Hello all you happy snowmen people... We are home from Alabama.. so nice to sleep in our own bed last night!

We came home with the flu... ughhh... but do feel better this morning.. This is day 4 so we should be feeling better... I can tell you, it was rough traveling on day 2 and 3 of this mess. Especially day 3.

I think I shall go upstairs and trace off my first snowmen and stitch today... We won't be venturing out, that is for sure.

Picture of Cr8tve1
posted Hide Post
I just ordered a wash away solvy so I hope that does the trick.

Picture of GaAngel97
posted Hide Post
I haven't been able to start stitching because I can't find fabrics that I want to use. I wanted to do mine in blues and whites but I haven't been able to find enough fabrics that are the same blues. So I've been looking at reds and whites and still having the same trouble. I don't want to pay a ton for fabric and finding them on different websites can add up quick with postage. Also some sites will only allow minimum purchase of a yard. Any suggestions?

Posts: 328 | Location: Georgia | Registered: Feb 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did you see the Symphony of Blues that Connecting Threads has? blues

Picture of GaAngel97
posted Hide Post
I just looked at them but don't see but a few that I really liked.

Posts: 328 | Location: Georgia | Registered: Feb 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post