Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Honest Opinions - should I just quit... or try to work with this?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Honest Opinions - should I just quit... or try to work with this? Sign In/Join 
Picture of jeepdarla
posted
Sorting through some things I came across this little twister that I put together when one of our guild members was doing a class.

At the time, I was just using up some pre-cuts and odds & ends...thinking I probably wouldn't go further with it.

Now I am considering using it in a baby girl quilt ...but the color combo just isn't really doing it for me...sort of blah and uninspiring.

Should I try to work with this a little or abandon it and wotk with something I like?

The royal blue dot and the light blue floral I have stretched out behind it are the only things I have in my stash to coordinate. I don't want to buy anything else for this.

Any opinions or ideas? Thanks!

Posts: 3096 | Location: kentucky | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jeepdarla
posted Hide Post
I should have told you the twister part is about 22" square.

Here are the "waste" squares from cutting the twister. I could maybe incorporate them somehow?

Posts: 3096 | Location: kentucky | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Keep going...it looks great color-wise. I'd try to use those leftover squares in a border.Darker blue first as an inner border and then incorporate the squares in a smaller border with the lt. blue then a bigger solid light blue border. Looks like you have a nautical scheme going on.

May
"In Michigan"

Posts: 9922 | Location: Michigan,up North,the west side of Perfect | Registered: Sep 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
If you have any more of the white background fabric, add that in too.

It will make a lovely little blanket.

You could also add some embroidery words or ABC letters to the border in the colors of the twister blocks.

Posts: 4611 | Location: Alabama | Registered: Nov 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Definitely keep going! That will be cute when you've got it finished. While I wouldn't have thought about it, those random squares satin-stitched to the light blue border really look good.

What about a 1" wide white border between the dark blue and the light blue?

Posts: 16562 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Will Quilt for Chocolate
posted Hide Post
Don't give up!

It's very cute!

The little squares do add a little something, but if you finished it without, the quilt would still be adorable! Maybe a bright binding would help give it a little more 'pop' if you think it needs something.

Posts: 4800 | Registered: May 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of quilting wifey
posted Hide Post
Possibly use the dark blue as setting triangles to put the twister on point, then a thin frame of white and your light blue.

It does look better with the "leftovers" tossed around on the light blue. Or use them to create one of the thin frames.

Madelyn

Posts: 6043 | Location: SE MN | Registered: Jan 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bozie
posted Hide Post
I think the colors are great for a kids quilt and it would be a shame to not finish it. I like the suggestions of incorporating the smaller squares in the border. Or how about making a border of smaller twisters if you want to use just the two blue fabrics.....

Martha

Posts: 6998 | Location: Montana | Registered: Mar 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
I'm seeing the need for more yellow to punch it up for a girl. I know you don't want to buy more fabric, but do you have (or can you get) some jumbo yellow rick-rack? It might be cute to frame it with that or put it on a dark blue border. I'd be tempted to audition it, and if doesn't go, then at least you tried, and who knows where it might lead. My best ideas sometimes come out of my worst ones. Smile

The little squares look like the start of a scrappy outer border. Love how playful the stripe is, too. Make a diagonal stripe narrow border? Do a stripe binding? Hmmmm... Lots of ways that could go! I don't think it's a lost cause at all.

Posts: 5446 | Location: About 28,000 Light Years From Galactic Center | Registered: Jul 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
I think you are on to something with the way you actually have it laid out in the photo. Use those left over squares as confetti strewn over the background just like you have them right now. Add the alphabet letters to those squares as Shawkl suggested. i think it would be a fun quilt that way.

Use that darker blue fabric as corners for the twister center... make it in to a square in a square of sorts... and use your floral for a wide border to strew your confetti out on...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Quiltaholic,

www.pigtalesandquilts.com
www.crazyquiltingsupplies.com

Crazy Quilting is addictive so we just have to STITCH IT OUT LOUD!

Posts: 25673 | Location: USA | Registered: Oct 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
My thought when I saw the first picture was that you are right, it is a little blah. But when I saw the second picture, I thought "WOW, how cute!" Use some of the suggestions given and you will end up with a great quilt.

Posts: 6475 | Registered: Nov 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
By all means...keep going on it! It is darling! I do love the addition of the coordinating dancing squares around the border. I also like the idea of a little more white added somewhere...make it a little lighter feeling for a little girl. And lastly, I love the idea of adding big rickrack somewhere...very cute!

Posts: 3409 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of califgal
posted Hide Post
keep working on it, i think it is so cute, it's great for a baby and a toddler. it's the kinda quilt a baby can grow into.

patsy

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Sep 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of San
posted Hide Post
i like the dancing squares layout..

others mentioned more white..

how about lining the 2 shorter (outside) sides of the dark blue triangles with white strips..
and have the center twisters square and the triangles form a large square..
then use the lighter floral for a wide border with the dancing squares..
then add maybe the Big Rick rack at the edge tucked under the binding.. maybe use a multicolored or bright Big Rick Rack..

this will be a vary cute quilt however you decide to make it..

This message has been edited. Last edited by: San,

Hugs, Waves, Smiles, & Prayers

God bless you all and may sunshine always be in your lives to brighten your days..

San

Posts: 4214 | Location: OR | Registered: Sep 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
I think it's darling!!!! Love the confetti look (could iron those on and blanket stitch). The rickrack would be as cute as a bug's ear. Perfect for a little twister toddler playing on it!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nancyc20,

"It's bad to supress laughter. It goes back down and spreads to your hips."

Posts: 8431 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of warm buns
posted Hide Post
Don't cave in. Keep playing with it and I think you will have a winner there!!!!!

Posts: 3610 | Location: Elvis, birthplace | Registered: Nov 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DJBrown
posted Hide Post
I love the "confetti" look! Don't give up!

Posts: 979 | Registered: Mar 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sewnso
posted Hide Post
I agree with Quiltaholic. It will look great!!!

You could also add the yellow ricrac around the square....but I like this design.

If life hands you scraps make quilts

Posts: 2935 | Location: Southern BC, Canada | Registered: Sep 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paus4quilts
posted Hide Post
I see several of us have the same idea. I love the blocks being strewn around the twister center. My thought was 'wind blown look'. Come up with a size and tack those pieces down in whatever manner and add a simple border. It looks so light hearted and fun that way.

Love it!!!!!

Posts: 5917 | Registered: Aug 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jeepdarla
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much, ladies!

You have given me a lot of ideas. Thanks Bozie, for taking the time to work up that design..a cute idea!

I have found a yellow fabric in my stash that might work with this too...if I use the back side of it...a softer yellow. I do have a a bit of the white left...maybe enough for a pieced smallish border.

I think you have me convinced to use the confetti look. What if I put some stuffing behind the confetti squares to puff them up?..going overboard?

I like the Ric RAC idea too. It would add personality..and a feminine touch..but I am trying not to go buy anything.
But..that made me think of curved edges on the quilt...which I have never tried.Maybe this would be a good time to experiment with that.

Thanks for the encouragement.It has gotten me enthusiastic about working with this!

posted Hide Post
You could easily do curved edges on this quilt. Either use bias binding for it or a facing that would be sewn down. The facing could be turned to the back and have the straight edge of it line up with one of the border seams so it would get caught in the quilting.

Madelyn

Posts: 6043 | Location: SE MN | Registered: Jan 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paus4quilts
posted Hide Post
Here's kind of an idea on using scalloped edges on your quilt. Sorry I don't do semi-circles well.

If you want to save a little time and work, you can always do a blanket turn with the curved edges. Draw your curves on the back of your top, then lay out your backing and batting as usual and put your top on top of the stack, RST. Sew along your curves, leaving an opening to turn things RSO. Before turning, trim off the excess batting and backing. It'd be a good idea to snip in the valley of the scallops. Once it is RSO, put an edge stitch on it to close the opening and do your quilting. Or do your quilting and then do the edge stitching. Your choice.

I'm glad you are going to finish the quilt. It is a fun one!!!!

ETA: I'll bet you'd get a better idea if I attached the photo, huh? lollllll

This message has been edited. Last edited by: paus4quilts,

Picture of paus4quilts
posted Hide Post
Here's a suggestion about doing the curves/scallops.

When you are drawing them out, leave about 1/4" to 3/8" space between each of them. Then when you trim the backing and batting, cut down to about 1/2" from that space and make a 'v' snip, going into the corner of the space instead of cutting straight down. It will make a smoother junction when it's turned.

Someone that has done scallops may have a better idea. I use it on clothes all the time.

posted Hide Post
When I think of curved edges on a quilt they are the in and out style. A soft curve like a wave so there are no tight corners to mess with for binding or turning.

Sorry, I can't post a picture for you.

Madelyn

Picture of Bozie
posted Hide Post
Here is a link to a Bonnie Hunter tutorial for one way of making serpentine curves on the outer edges of a quilt. She also gives a link to instructions for making bias binding.

Martha

Posts: 6998 | Location: Montana | Registered: Mar 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rho*
posted Hide Post
Total different idea:
The blue layout you have looks to me like you had a twister quilt and slapped it onto dark blue fabric and then slapped that onto light blue fabric. Why don't you cut strips of yellow and white, band the twisters and sprinkle the wonderful confetti squares on the bands? Ta Da you didn't spend much time and didn't buy more fabric.
quilt is done and ready for gifting.

Posts: 530 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: Feb 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jeepdarla
posted Hide Post
Great ideas and tips for a curved edging/border! Thanks a bunch..especially for the sketch and pics!

Bozie, I am a Bonnie Hunter fan but I didn't remember her doing that curved border. I read her tutorial and she makes it seem do-able. Thanks for that link!

Now...decisions,decisions...

Picture of needlecrazy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link to the curved edges. I need that to finish my D*** Jane.

"Laughter is timeless; imagination has no age, and dreams are forever." Walt Disney

Posts: 6536 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: Jun 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post