Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Sew & Tell 7-17-14
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sew & Tell 7-17-14 Sign In/Join 
posted
Sew & Tell is our weekly sharing thread. Tell us what you're working on and we'll cheer you on!

Greetings from Mill Creek, Wa. It's a fast visit for Amary's first birthday.

who is sewing?
holly

Posts: 3008 | Registered: Jul 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bozie
posted Hide Post
I'm still working on the same project as for the past few weeks. Just a small wall quilt but hand applique. Hand applique is definitely not my cuppa but the design caught my eye. Smile Here's a WIP pic. Still a few weeks at least till the finish.

Martha

Posts: 7165 | Location: Montana | Registered: Mar 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Will Quilt for Chocolate
posted Hide Post
I'm a member of our local modern quilt guild. The Michael Miller Fabric Co gives fabric and asks that people make a quilted project with it. The only rules are that you can add solid fabric or any other Michael Miller fabric.

Here is my entry. It's one of the first modern type quilts I've done.

Posts: 5029 | Registered: May 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
WQFC, love your modern quilt. My DD's friends all love that modern look.

I've been working on baby shower favors today. So fast made from styrofoam cups. Will buy some round tulle pieces to stuff in the cups. Trying to decide which way to make them. Need to find out if it's a boy or girl. I hope it's a girl because I do love the lace and fancy bows.

Posts: 7481 | Registered: Mar 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fleur55
posted Hide Post
DD wanted a hand made gift for her 30th birthday so I made this backgammon set. The game board is quilted, the bags have cord stop pulls,and the game pieces were purchased. She loved it Smile

Posts: 764 | Location: Inland Empire, CA | Registered: May 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love the backgammon set! Might make one for my mom for Christmas.

Posts: 1965 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Aug 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Jill, love that quilt. Who woulda thunk to make a backgammon board from fabric? Great idea.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6732 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NYlady
posted Hide Post
Absolutley love everything. Couldn't make the modern quilt if my life depended on it. Volunteered to make my friend a quilt out of her old hankies. So far I've done two pieces. .a hanky panky square and a small table runner. Thought instead of cutting up the last dozen hankies, I'd just stitch them to a single piece of fabric and go from there. Didn't work. Somehow when I went to quilt it, it got all wonky. Past week I have been unstitching 12 hanies and their quilting from the main piece. Going to put them away for a while and do something small.

Posts: 3461 | Location: Staten Island, NY , USA | Registered: Sep 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of islandtime
posted Hide Post
I haven't posted here in a very long time, but I still sew/quilt/embroider a lot. Made these for a friend this week...

Elle~~

Posts: 825 | Location: Norfolk, VA & FL Keys | Registered: Feb 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SeeingStars
posted Hide Post
Love those embroidered pillows!

Posts: 3640 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: Dec 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
...lovely items ... Jill that quilt is beautiful ... and I'll bet you did the amazing quilting...
Fleur .. that Backgammon game is really cool ... pattern?
And the shower favors booties - how cute!
The crab embroidery is so pretty ... ..that little hand work is really neat - I personally like a small project like that when I'm betweenthings or needing a break .. that one is really cute.

I cannot change 'things', but I can change how I feel about them. Me.

Wounded Warrior Project
www.woundedwarriorproject.org

Posts: 9133 | Location: Inland Empire, CA | Registered: Mar 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
No sewing around here for a while, or for a while longer, but my Horizon hopped in the car for a trip tomorrow. Her little sister already went.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6732 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AngelaC
posted Hide Post
I haven't done any sewing, but last weekend PatriciaAnne & I went to the Sisters Quilt Show! It was crazy hot & based on the pics I saw on the TQS blog we missed quite a few quilts Smile

Here are my pics...I hope the link works for you.

http://s213.photobucket.com/us...202014?sort=2&page=1

And here's the link from TQS

http://www.thequiltshow.com/os...4f61f9fce7f29be6b967

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AngelaC,

Posts: 4691 | Registered: Apr 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
A friend is hosting a baby shower for her grandchild. The theme is jungle animals so I ran to JoAnns this morning and bought fabric for a quick quilt. Nothing easier than nine 12" churn dash blocks. I put matching flannel on the back. Now I've finished the binding I can work on the matching burp cloths. Very subtle colors.

Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
...EvelynB that is beautiful .. a perfect gift, I'm sure it will be well loved.

I cannot change 'things', but I can change how I feel about them. Me.

Wounded Warrior Project
www.woundedwarriorproject.org

Posts: 9133 | Location: Inland Empire, CA | Registered: Mar 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't believe you did that in one day. Good job.

Posts: 2291 | Location: Arkansas Zone 7 | Registered: Aug 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of glassnquilts
posted Hide Post
Really love the modern quilt and the backgammon game is really cute. Here is my finish for the week. It is a Quilt of Valor. My first one. I adapted a pattern that had a black and bright star and made it patriotic.

flag

Posts: 1197 | Location: West of Atlanta, GA | Registered: Feb 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lots of cute projects this week. I made a table topper called Sunny-Side Up. Sue

Posts: 1592 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
I made a diaper changing pad, embroidered burp cloths, and made 3 baskets. I have fabric for one larger basket and need to get buttons and do the handwork. Otherwise it's been a productive day. DH always worries when he goes to his lease and leaves me alone. I get so much done! Had liver and onions for lunch. Yum! Tomorrow I'll enjoy salmon croquettes. Yum Yum!

Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
Love the sunny side up table topper. One reason I bought a round table was because I do love the effect of a round table centerpiece on a round table. That fabric is awesome.

Love the rw&b star. So smart to change the colors.

Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
Sue sure has been busy this past 2 weeks, here is the quilt that we finished this week. We did the quilting on our new "Artistic Quilter SD" Our first project. This was Missouri Star Quilt Company disappearing hour glass pattern.
I'm liking all the projects that were shown this week. Now I need to get moving and finish something.
oops, forgot to attach the picture.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: patty j,

Posts: 8151 | Location: Kenosha Wi USA | Registered: Sep 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
Evelyn, I can't believe you got all that done today. Amazing. You are so creative.
Jill, Your quilting is outstanding, Gives me some ideas for a quilt that is waiting to be finished.
Bozie, nice job on Sunbonnet that is going to be a very pretty wallhanging.
Fluer, Where did you find the pattern and pieces for the game? Never would have thought of that, very creative.
Islandtime, anyone would love those toss pillows, your friend is very lucky. Sew cute.
Glassnquilt, Very nice QOV, lucky person to get that one.
Hey Sue, you know who has a nice round table? LOL

Posts: 8151 | Location: Kenosha Wi USA | Registered: Sep 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice projects this week.

Patty J and Sister Sue, I am working on that pattern too. I still have another border to make before my top will be pieced. I really like your layout. If my center wasn't already sewn together, I might have tried the way you did yours. The quilting is looking good too. Those circles create a nice pattern in the white space. I bet you are loving your new machine!

Posts: 1167 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WQFC--Your modern quilt is very nice. I especially like how you divided the white space with different quilting designs. I am getting to appreciate the modern looks more and more--I even have some squares of solids cut to start one.

Posts: 1167 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Beautiful work!

Posts: 8137 | Location: Northeast | Registered: Nov 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
Neat assortment this week everyone... Chris

Posts: 6224 | Location: Tampa Bay | Registered: Jan 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Susan-TN
posted Hide Post
There are times when you think that you've got the plans all set for your next quilt, and then you decide to do a little bit more looking around & you find a few more patterns that would work just as well if not better! Decisions, decisions! *sigh*

I've been working on a memory quilt for a dear friend- it's made out of her daughter's pj's. After I got the blocks done for the first quilt- a queen-size, I realized that I still had alot of 2 & 1/2in. strips cut & I needed to find another quilt pattern to use those remaining strips. Once I get this second quilt done, I will have to find yet another pattern because I still have the front/back of the pj tops that haven't been touched (other than to have stabilizer ironed on).

And if that wasn't enough, I still have her daughter's t-shirts to make a quilt out of! I'm fairly certain that I've got the quilt pattern for that thank goodness! Just have to order the pattern & templates, but I won't start working on the t-shirts until I've got the pj quilts done.

Happy Stitching All!
Susan

Posts: 663 | Location: East TN | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KC_1930
posted Hide Post
You ladies continue to blow me away with your many talents! Thanks for sharing.

http://hexagonswap.blogspot.com/

Formally known as KC1930
Original beginning date of February 9, 2008 with a total of 9,224 posts

Posts: 152 | Registered: Mar 28, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elsie123
posted Hide Post
I took a little vacation to Idaho, and gave my SIL this little mug rug. Came out so cute.

Posts: 1423 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
Love your trailer. That's such cute a design. I've been looking at this trailer design as a machine cover:
http://www.rainbowhare.com/201...g-machine-cover.html

Picture of Will Quilt for Chocolate
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the kind words about my quilt. It's such a new 'genre' for me, so your comments mean so much to me.

PS...I love the little trailer too!

Posts: 5029 | Registered: May 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
love the trailer, my friend has a camper- it's a 5th wheel- but that okay, I am still going to make her one similar to the one that you did, it is a lot cuter than these modern ones.

Wanda

Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amy- Thanks for the compliment. We had a great time doing it and laughed a bunch. Sue

Posts: 1592 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ruffled leg pants for my 8 year DGD-the black seen is a purchased tank top to go with the pants.

She liked them but I did not get a picture with her wearing them yet.

Love the camper mug rug. I have a quilt kit that includes a similar looking camper and fire.

Karen

Posts: 674 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: Feb 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elsie123
posted Hide Post
Glad you like the camper trailer mug rug. I saw the pattern on Craftsy and it was just what I wanted. Smile

Posts: 1423 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post