Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  What's your opinion about my quilt? New Pics Added!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's your opinion about my quilt? New Pics Added! Sign In/Join 
Picture of pvillelou
posted
I have a lot of work left on this quilt - another block for upper right corner, stitching down the fused appliques on several blocks, and the borders (which also have lots of applique). None of these blocks are sewn together yet. Today was the first time I had enough done to lay them out to see how it looks together and I'm wondering if I should make a change. The Ohio star blocks (upper left, lower right, and one in middle) seem to jump out because the background fabric I used in them is so much lighter than the rest. Does that detract from the overall design so much that I should remake the blocks? What do you think?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pvillelou,

Posts: 6472 | Registered: Nov 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
After looking at the picture, I really do think i should change them. But I still would like to hear what you think.

Picture of bjeannes
posted Hide Post
I see what you mean but, what is going in the other corner - will it be a white background? what about the border? will it be white...if so, they might be ok as it should balance them out.

The one that jumps at me is the basket in the 2nd row because it is so much darker than the others.

Just wanted to add - Great Job! I like it a lot.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Posts: 1790 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: Feb 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bozie
posted Hide Post
Do all of the Ohio Star blocks have the same background fabric? I ask because to me the one near the center seems too starkly white - as if it is screaming for attention. The other two seem to fit in better, especially the one at the top left.

Martha

Posts: 6992 | Location: Montana | Registered: Mar 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
If you change the stars, I think you will also need to do something with the white sky of the house as that will be the only white white... Chris

Posts: 5863 | Location: Tampa Bay | Registered: Jan 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of native Texan
posted Hide Post
I actually think you have them placed very nicely. and the upper right block to be could have some lighter color in it to help. It's a very nice quilt!!

CC

Posts: 4591 | Location: 1,000 miles from home | Registered: Apr 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
You could tea dye the whites on those blocks...

"It's bad to supress laughter. It goes back down and spreads to your hips."

Posts: 8414 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of quilting wifey
posted Hide Post
I think they look good as they are.

I wonder if you can get a picture of the whole group from the top (such as looking down from the loft to the living room floor) I think maybe they look a bit different would be from the lighting in the room as well as the flash from the camera. With the top left being farther from you it gets less reflective light and the center one is where the camera flash would have focused.

I didn't notice a problem with them until you mentioned them. Since this is scrappy, I think they all fit.

Madelyn

Posts: 6039 | Location: SE MN | Registered: Jan 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Here's another corner to be heard from. I'd replace one of the Ohio Stars. Since they are larger blocks, the fact that there's 3 of them makes them dominate, in my opinion. And the light in the picture may indeed be what makes that middle one stand out. You're doing a wonderful job, no matter what you choose to do. I love applique, but am not proficient at it.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6218 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pvillelou:
After looking at the picture, I really do think i should change them.

I agree with you. I love all your other blocks but those sure stand out to me...I love all your quilts anyway.

May
"In Michigan"

Posts: 9900 | Location: Michigan,up North,the west side of Perfect | Registered: Sep 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Will Quilt for Chocolate
posted Hide Post
I don't mind what I see there. I think those stars help your eye to move through the quilt from one end to the other.

I don't mind that they are brighter. I didn't notice it. But, I was going to say the same thing Nancy did. If you want them not as bright, try tea dying them.

I really like what you've got there. It's going to be a gorgeous quilt!

Posts: 4790 | Registered: May 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Downsouth
posted Hide Post
I would simply exchange it with the house block in the bottom left corner. If that doesn't look any better to you, I would try the tea dye.

Devonne

Posts: 14932 | Location: Georgia | Registered: Jan 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Miss Lensews2
posted Hide Post
I like it just fine as it is. If it was my own & I thought the white stood out too much in those 3 blocks I think I might have experimented with a bit of beige or tan & use it to put flippie corners on all those white corner solid squares in the Ohio star blocks. I'm not sure if doing that would add to or detract from your Ohio star blocks so I think I would just lay the corners on & audition it before I would actually sew them on. Such corners might blend in with the rest of the blocks in the quilt. I got the idea from your whirly pinwheel block corners.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Miss Lensews2,

Posts: 5232 | Location: ~ if I'm not here...I wish I was. ~  | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
Try moving the white block under the house to another spot with less contrast around it. Those 2 are the greatest contrast in the quilt, and might be better seperated.

Try switching the basket with the star under the houses and put the bottom right star at the top right star empty place. Then the contrasts are reduced and softened.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nancyc20,

Posts: 8414 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
I appreciate all of your thoughtful comments. I tried laying borders out and that made it look better but I'm still thinking. The lighting is part of the problem in the pic because the three Ohio star blocks are all the same fabrics and the basket block isn't really that dark. Maybe tomorrow after I get a little more done I will post another pic.

BTW, I am following a pattern not designing this quilt myself. I'm trying to match colors on the pattern as much as possible from my stash but I have limited variety for backgrounds.

Picture of wildcatmom
posted Hide Post
Scrappy quilts have sooo much personality, don't they? If the background of the missing block will be another light like the Ohio stars and the house block, you have pleasing balance.
Would getting a photo in the morning give you a better idea, maybe?
Personally, I like what you've got there. But it's your quilt, you should be happy with it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wildcatmom,

~karen Wave

Posts: 3145 | Location: SE KS | Registered: Jul 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To me the star block in the center stands out if because it is surrounded by the darker blocks plus the lighting condition. May look entirely different if it is hung over a sofa or on a wall.

Love it.

Wanda

Posts: 1727 | Registered: Jul 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mount-N-Mama
posted Hide Post
I think the quilt is lovely, Pville! Smile Whatever you decide, I can't wait to see the finished quilt!

MnM

"The secret to having it all is believing you do!"

Posts: 1820 | Registered: Mar 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NICUnurse
posted Hide Post
So pretty! I think the lighting makes it look different. I would take a different picture and then see. I love all your blocks! I love scrappy quilts and this one is so pretty!

PamSmile

Posts: 5698 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: Jan 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like it just the way it is. It is very interesting.

Brandy
~There are pawprints on my heart.~
www.prairiepawsrescue.com

Posts: 5094 | Location: North Dakota! | Registered: Jul 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
I was hoping to have enough more done today to take another picture. Why is it that problems show on a picture more than they do in real life??? All my sewing time today was taken up with fusing and cutting about a gazillion leaves and a few flowers for the border!

posted Hide Post
OH Mary Lou, it is absolutely adorable!
I KNEW that this post would have an awesome quilt by you.
THe stars have that 9-patch in them which compliments the other random blocks with squares.
It is balanced, so my eyes just don't know where to look first. I want to search all over the quilt for the fun details!
I love it as is.

Posts: 2160 | Registered: Apr 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
...without reading other comments - I am just going to sayit's beautiful and i and truly inpressed .. I THINK the problem you have with the lighter background is rightnow they are in a diagonal row - and force your eyes to follow them ... perhaps a re arrangment would be better for eye appeal. JMHO.

I cannot change 'things', but I can change how I feel about them. Me.

Wounded Warrior Project
www.woundedwarriorproject.org

Posts: 8990 | Location: Inland Empire, CA | Registered: Mar 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
OK, here's an updated pic. That narrow green border will go all around the center section. The top border will have a cottage and vines/leaves added but I ran out of fusible web. There will also be a fence across the bottom with some appliqued flowers. And finally a border all around, which I haven't chosen yet.

Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
And a little closer look at part of it. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Mess Lensews2, I like your idea of the "flippie corners" to tone down the white. I cut a few triangles and laid on a couple of the blocks to see how it looked.

Nancy20 and Downsouth, tea dyeing is a a definite possibility.

cksvett, the sky on the lower left house isn't as light as it looks in the pictures.

Several suggested rearranging some of the blocks. Because there are several sizes of blocks, that would be hard to do but I may try it.

Picture of quilting wifey
posted Hide Post
I don't see a need to change anything, with those borders you have some other pieces with real white and when I look at the picture of the whole top, I don't see the Ohio stars as a "first" thing. I think it is well balanced.

Madelyn

Posts: 6039 | Location: SE MN | Registered: Jan 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wildcatmom
posted Hide Post
You know what? I think it's spectacular, & if you'd choose to fiddle any more, it'd only be 'cause you were enjoying yourself with the process.
Those flippy corners are a nice change, aren't they?

~karen Wave

Posts: 3145 | Location: SE KS | Registered: Jul 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of quiltbea
posted Hide Post
I think its just fine as is. There's enuf white bg in other blocks to compensate so its equalized just fine.
Great job by the way. Lovin' it.

Posts: 13275 | Location: Southwestern Maine Zone 5 U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mount-N-Mama
posted Hide Post
I LOVE it! What a pretty quilt!

MnM

"The secret to having it all is believing you do!"

Posts: 1820 | Registered: Mar 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
Love the flippy corners in the one under the houses now. That does it. Smile

Picture of stillsuzzz
posted Hide Post
Sweet as sugar and awfully nice to look at!

Posts: 397 | Location: Shapleigh, Maine | Registered: Jul 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
With the changes you've made, it is spectacular!! I really do love how it has turned out.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6218 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like this a lot...you did great as always...

May
"In Michigan"

Posts: 9900 | Location: Michigan,up North,the west side of Perfect | Registered: Sep 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NICUnurse
posted Hide Post
I love the flippy corners on the Ohio Star! Perfect choice and tied it all together. Absolutely gorgeous quilt!!

PamSmile

Posts: 5698 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: Jan 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bozie
posted Hide Post
Just one opinion, but I think the changes transformed it from an "OK" quilt to something really special! Smile

Martha

Posts: 6992 | Location: Montana | Registered: Mar 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sew Happy
posted Hide Post
Spectacular!!! I think adding those corners was a great idea and the border is beautiful

Keep calm and carry on

Life is good!!!
Patty (KD0ICU)
In God We Trust

http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j66/PattyannC/

Posts: 1712 | Location: In the northwoods of Minnesota | Registered: Aug 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Miss Lensews2
posted Hide Post
I really love the extra work you have put into your quilt. You are going to have a super awesome quilt when you are finished. Will this one be for you or are you making it for someone special? It is going to be a beauty.

Posts: 5232 | Location: ~ if I'm not here...I wish I was. ~  | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fleur55
posted Hide Post
The arrangement is beautiful. I really like the flippy corners, it tones the white done and brings it all together. Great job!!! Looking forward to seeing it finished.

Posts: 632 | Location: Inland Empire, CA | Registered: May 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like it too. If you like the flippy corners, use them. The border really helps a lot.

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6173 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of royalboomer
posted Hide Post
Your quilt is just gorgeous!

Posts: 6446 | Location: Great Midwest | Registered: Oct 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post