Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Friday PJ party starting NOW!! 7:00 Minnesota time
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Friday PJ party starting NOW!! 7:00 Minnesota time Sign In/Join 
posted Hide Post
All the color values really do make the blocks look different.

I'm 2/3 of the way to a table runner ...

Hummm thinking.. if you elongate the blocks it might make a nice mug rug.

I love that you do not have to trim(square up) blocks between layers....just iron and carry on.

Sew Happy Patty...I think you get a Gold Star and A Blue Star for teaching such a wonderful class...a such a speedy class well delivered....

May
"In Michigan"

Posts: 9916 | Location: Michigan,up North,the west side of Perfect | Registered: Sep 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
TY Big Grin
I think that the next to the last print is too light. But I do really like the others.

I like the 2-fabric blocks too! There's just so many good possibilities with this!

Posts: 16532 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I finished mine. I just used the new block to add as the size for the block. Finished block ended up 8 3/4", not much to trim down. The technique is awesome Smile thanks for the class!

Posts: 828 | Registered: Jun 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of quiltbea
posted Hide Post
As I added each newe piece I aligned it as best I could with the one already done. I found that mine skewed out of shape a bit.
The next time I pressed the triangles, I first squared-up the block to the next piece and the following pieces lined up beautifully.
See how the center ones are a bit off kilter. At this point I squared up the block to the next piece.

Posts: 13275 | Location: Southwestern Maine Zone 5 U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
Quiltbea, Your block looks like a window looking out onto the garden, I like it.

Posts: 7836 | Location: Kenosha Wi USA | Registered: Sep 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Nicki...you didn't use your ripper once tonight woo hoo.....

quiltbea...nice colors...

May
"In Michigan"

Posts: 9916 | Location: Michigan,up North,the west side of Perfect | Registered: Sep 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of quiltbea
posted Hide Post
Here's my finished block with the errors.
My question is, what should I square up this final block so I get an 8" finished blocks?

Mine is approx 8 3/4" but I THINK I need it to be 9" to get an 8" finished block if I use half inch seams. I must have sewn the last seam a little too deep.

Help!

Posts: 13275 | Location: Southwestern Maine Zone 5 U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sue B
posted Hide Post
just got the laptop from DH I made him his own Facebook page now I have a hard time getting on my laptop.

WOW I love the blocks. As soon as I get in the sewing room I want to put my block together.

Sewhappy thanks for hosting tonights PJ Party.

SUE B

The smallest Cross in the corner is the one you put in the room.

I hope all our daily ups and downs are with needle and thread.

COF 2007 http://www2.snapfish.com/snapf...BRAND_NAME=snapfish/

Posts: 1461 | Location: North of the Gulf of Mexico | Registered: Apr 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lisa - TX
posted Hide Post
What an industrious crowd tonight. Love all of the pictures and it looks like a fun technique. Will make note of the measurements and notes and try it out this week.

Here are some stars for all of you Big Grin.

Star Star Star Star Star
Star Star Star Star Star

Posts: 5025 | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quiltbea...my first block I used a full 1/4" seam and came out 8 3/4 ...my 2nd block I used a scant 1/4" seam and came out an 1/8" less than a 9" block...I don't think there is a need to trim these blocks if they all come out 8 3/4 ...unless in putting a quilt top together there is something I'll learn as I go that others have already learned....maybe Sew Happy knows more...

May
"In Michigan"

Picture of KC1930
posted Hide Post
Here is mine and it's 6 1/2"...I think I need to add another round! It's fun and easy and I'm sure the next one won't look so crooked!

Thanks, teach! Smile

http://hexagonswap.blogspot.com/

For donated quilts for the kids, check out the photos at
http://kc1930.blogspot.com/201...-pictures-below.html

Posts: 9225 | Location: Lewiston, Maine | Registered: Feb 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KC1930
posted Hide Post
Looks like the Maine people are a little to the left, lol! Oh Quiltbea, we need to push over to the right! Smile

http://hexagonswap.blogspot.com/

For donated quilts for the kids, check out the photos at
http://kc1930.blogspot.com/201...-pictures-below.html

Posts: 9225 | Location: Lewiston, Maine | Registered: Feb 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sew Happy
posted Hide Post
I think they are supposed to come out to 9", but I think whatever size yours comes out to would be just fine as long as they are all the same.

There was a lady on Simple Quilts once that said everyone had their own personal measurement, she had some name for it but I can't think of it now. Anyway, what she meant was that everyone's comes out a little different.

Keep calm and carry on

Life is good!!!
Patty (KD0ICU)
In God We Trust

http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j66/PattyannC/

Posts: 1713 | Location: In the northwoods of Minnesota | Registered: Aug 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
Mine measured out to be approx. 8 3/4" I had to square it up just a tad.

Nicki

Posts: 7930 | Location: Texas / Zone 9 | Registered: Sep 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KC1930:
Looks like the Maine people are a little to the left, lol! Oh Quiltbea, we need to push over to the right! Smile

LOL...and where were those Bells you were gonna' wear tonight...you're just a tad off center maybe..wink wink...love your colors in that block...striking

May
"In Michigan"

Picture of quiltbea
posted Hide Post
I'm one who likes her blocks to be all the right size. If they all come out a hair within 8 3/4" I won't worry about it when I sew them together with 1/2" seams.

KC....Mine skewed because I didn't square it up the first ones to the size of the next square. I just laid the piece on top and sewed my seams even with the main block being a little bit off. I thought to square up too late. If they are squared up each time, they should come out nice and even.

Hey, I notice you've got lime green in that pretty block.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: quiltbea,

Picture of quiltbea
posted Hide Post
All tonite's block are lookin' good.

SewHappy....Thanks for a great class. It was easy and didn't take long to finish the block. You did good!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sew Happy:

There was a lady on Simple Quilts once that said everyone had their own personal measurement, she had some name for it but I can't think of it now. Anyway, what she meant was that everyone's comes out a little different.

That was Marti Michell..its in her earlier books...I think the book "For People Who Still Don't Have Time to Quilt" I always remember that..consistency is more important than that scant seam...

May
"In Michigan"

Picture of mandylifeboats
posted Hide Post
this blog had a review of a pineapple explosion variation and a video. http://razzledazzlequilter.blo...apple-explosion.html

Posts: 4898 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: May 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AuntJo
posted Hide Post
I am tryin to shrink pic

Posts: 4300 | Location: N.Y., USA | Registered: May 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 16532 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lisa - TX
posted Hide Post
Mary Ellen Hopkins would share her theory of Personal Private Measurement (PPM) on Simply Quilts. Emphasizing that even if you don't have an exact 1/4" seam, that is ok, as long as you are consistent Smile.

Posts: 5025 | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AuntJo
posted Hide Post
Sew Happy Thanks for the great class.

Found my camera. Have been tryin to shrink this pic. I think I'll quit and try again tomorrow.

Posts: 4300 | Location: N.Y., USA | Registered: May 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sew Happy
posted Hide Post
That's the one Lisa that I was trying to think of. She was a fun lady to watch.

You're welcome everyone. I had fun doing the class.

Keep calm and carry on

Life is good!!!
Patty (KD0ICU)
In God We Trust

Posts: 1713 | Location: In the northwoods of Minnesota | Registered: Aug 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mandylifeboats
posted Hide Post
try this site for resizing pics: http://www.resize.it/resize-portrait-photo.html

step 1 - browse for the pic in your pictures
step 2 - don't change any of the measurements
step 3 - press okay, wait for it to come up, takes a few secs
step 5 - right click on the image with your mouse and select Save Picture As
step 6 - name it

come here, select 'add attachment'. search for what u named it, open. and hit "post now"

Posts: 4898 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: May 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KBlue
posted Hide Post
Sew Happy, thanks for teaching this class. I didn't get to come on Friday - to much going on in my life. I'm hoping to follow along and make a block this weekend. It looks so simple, you did a great job teaching. Sorry I missed out on the yummy treats, but thanks for sharing your recipe!

Posts: 722 | Location: Oregon | Registered: Aug 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Well, shucks!! I messed around and missed the class last night! Frown I love that pattern, though, so I'm gonna make one today just to see how it works.

Thanks, Sew Happy, for a wonderful lesson.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6225 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Meme quilts
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry I missed the party. I had SIX grandkids last night, ages 10 to 8 months. I just couldn't get on the computer with the little one around. I've made my block this morning and later when I get my camera, I'll post a pic. Thanks for the class Sew Happy.

In order to see the rainbow, first you must endure the rain.

Posts: 2826 | Location: SE Missouri | Registered: Jul 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wildcatmom
posted Hide Post
ttt for those who missed the party Friday. Wink

Here's the block I worked on after the party. I messed up in the center when I didn't alternate the colors correctly when I cut out the squares. I do like the way it looks, but the effect in the center isn't right, is it? Roll Eyes

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wildcatmom,

~karen Wave

pineapple2x

Posts: 3147 | Location: SE KS | Registered: Jul 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paus4quilts
posted Hide Post
Sew Happy, this was great!!!! I didn't play along with you but I sure did copy it. Pineapples have always intimidated me. You made it easy. Good job!!!!!

Posts: 5912 | Registered: Aug 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wildcatmom - I like it!

One the other thread something was mentioned about the bias edges on the outside - so I've been wondering if you cut the blocks on the bias the outside edges would be on the straight of grain.

Cut 1st (center) square on grain. The rest on the bias. As you cut each on the diagonal, the outside edges will be straight grain.

Picture of AuntJo
posted Hide Post
Wildcatmom Very nice!

Picture of wildcatmom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KeepYouInStitches:
Wildcatmom - I like it!

One the other thread something was mentioned about the bias edges on the outside - so I've been wondering if you cut the blocks on the bias the outside edges would be on the straight of grain.

Cut 1st (center) square on grain. The rest on the bias. As you cut each on the diagonal, the outside edges will be straight grain.

Thanks,Smile
Wondered that, too. Might just have to do some experimenting.

~karen Wave

Posts: 3147 | Location: SE KS | Registered: Jul 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wildcatmom
posted Hide Post
Aunt Jo...where's yours?

~karen Wave

Picture of AuntJo
posted Hide Post
Thank you Mandy Thank you Mandy !!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AuntJo,

Picture of wildcatmom
posted Hide Post
Oh, pretty!

...and good job on the photo, too. Smile

~karen Wave

Picture of Heartmania
posted Hide Post
I had someone drop in Fri night so I joined the party just as it was winding down. I made the block after most of you were in bed gone to bed (at least in this area). I finished it and it came out great. I love it. So Happy THANK YOU so much. The directions are great, you are a wonderful teacher.

Posts: 490 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: Mar 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chlynn1129
posted Hide Post
Here's mine. It is 8 3/4 too.
Again, Patty, thanks.

Posts: 1994 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: Dec 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wildcat...I think it is real pretty,don't know whether it is right or wrong...so it must be just right.

Gosh...Chlynn that is real pretty,love that blue.

Love all the blocks and salute all the efforts..

May
"In Michigan"

Picture of Chlynn1129
posted Hide Post
Thanks, May.
Wildcat, I like your block. I really like taht purple.

Posts: 1994 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: Dec 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
Golly, everyone's blocks turned out so pretty. I loved this class!!!

Nicki

Posts: 7930 | Location: Texas / Zone 9 | Registered: Sep 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of darn75
posted Hide Post
All the blocks are great and the directions sound like I could handle them! Can't wait to get home this week and try to make some blocks.

Posts: 449 | Registered: Oct 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Meme quilts
posted Hide Post
I thought I was on this thread but I was on the other one when I posted a pic of my block. I'll see if I can copy the pic. Yeah!!! It worked. I still need to press the block. I'm thinking about making it into a small flag with either some borders or 3 more blocks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Meme quilts,

In order to see the rainbow, first you must endure the rain.

Posts: 2826 | Location: SE Missouri | Registered: Jul 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
I know this is really silly, but could someone post a picture of a Pineapple Quilt layout?? I had a lot of fun making the square and thought it would make a cool quilt, but I can't picture what it would look like. Thanks Pat

Posts: 7836 | Location: Kenosha Wi USA | Registered: Sep 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sew Happy
posted Hide Post
It's so good to hear so many positive comments about the class, thank you. Sorry a few of you had a bad start or had wonky squares but I think everyone did a great job. Maybe someday we'll see something bigger made out of them.

Patty J, I Googled pineapple quilts and pictures of them came up.

When I show it this weekend I will tell them that the blocks will come out to 8 3/4" rather than 9".

Thanks again for being such a good class!

Keep calm and carry on

Life is good!!!
Patty (KD0ICU)
In God We Trust

Picture of Sew Happy
posted Hide Post
Here it is

Keep calm and carry on

Life is good!!!
Patty (KD0ICU)
In God We Trust

posted Hide Post
Thank you for reposting this tute...I think I surely need to try this sometime!

Posts: 3407 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh WOW! I was wondering when we started the PJ parties and how it could be 7 p.m. Minnesota time NOW! LOL

Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
Sherry, I did the exact same thing. I thought...how in the world did I miss the posting of a P.J. on Friday & WOW, it's already started & there are already 3 pages of party time already. LOL!!!

Nicki

Picture of Coco  Cathy
posted Hide Post
you are all sew creative. Love your pretties

Posts: 2943 | Location: Riverside,Ca... | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post