Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  # 7 of 12 charity quilts for 2014
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

# 7 of 12 charity quilts for 2014 Sign In/Join 
Picture of Gonesewin
posted
#7 of the year and still all stash!

“May God give you...For every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile, for every care a promise and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh a sweet song and an answer for each prayer.”

http://www.qovf.org/index.html

Posts: 5210 | Location: Loriland | Registered: Feb 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
You are really doing well with your charity quilts. Will this one go to Quilts of Valor? Thank you for your work of love.

Nicki

Posts: 8507 | Location: Texas / Zone 9 | Registered: Sep 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of needlecrazy
posted Hide Post
That is super wonderful, Lori! Thanks for all you are doing to enrich the lives of those who need a special kind of love.

"Laughter is timeless; imagination has no age, and dreams are forever." Walt Disney

Posts: 6678 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: Jun 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of royalboomer
posted Hide Post
Very cool - love the binding as well Smile

I'm so sorry the FQ's I sent didn't make it to you. I hesitated about sending them from the PO in Verona - had issues with them before and don't generally use them; however, add to that I only shoved money into my pants pocket 'cause I was going to the library and I guessed how much it would cost to mail and didn't take into consideration the tracking so I didn't have enough cash on my to put that on. Poor planning on my part. I'll learn from it. In the meantime, someone will end up with the FQ's -I hope they enjoy them wherever they may have landed.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: royalboomer,

Posts: 6695 | Location: Great Midwest | Registered: Oct 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Coco  Cathy
posted Hide Post
great job

Posts: 3066 | Location: Riverside,Ca... | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
You go girl! What size do you make? That looks perfect. Big Grin

"It's bad to supress laughter. It goes back down and spreads to your hips."

Posts: 9040 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pegsami
posted Hide Post
Great job, Lori--that looks like the disappearing 9 patch---I have used that and the exploding block on the ones I have made for children at Oso, Wa (where the landslice was earlier this year). They are great blocks for quick, but beautiful quilts in my opinion !!

Variety & Contrast means BUY EVERYTHING

Posts: 1049 | Location: oregon | Registered: Jun 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wildcatmom
posted Hide Post
Very nice, Lori. Simple and easy way to use scraps for charity. Got some to do myself as soon as I get some long overdue ufos dealt with.

Can I ask-did you use 2.5" strips in your 4-patches?

I've been intending to use that binding sometime, looks great. Especially like striped.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wildcatmom,

~karen Wave

Posts: 3297 | Location: SE KS | Registered: Jul 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone Smile
Pegsami, are those 2 the same thing? I've done the disappearing 9 patch before but have not heard it called the "exploding" 9 patch before. But when I google it, it looks like they are the same.

I think it's 47" x 57"

“May God give you...For every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile, for every care a promise and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh a sweet song and an answer for each prayer.”

http://www.qovf.org/index.html

Posts: 5210 | Location: Loriland | Registered: Feb 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pegsami
posted Hide Post
I just heard about the "exploding block" and I don't remember where--it is something like a sq within a sq, I think. Take 2 sqs of fabric ( I used one white and one pink bunny fabric) doesn't matter what size just so they are the same and depending on how big you want them to be. Sew R sides together all the way around (1/4 " of course). Mark an X with a pencil from corner to corner on one of the sqs and pull slightly up to get enough to be able to cut the X on that one fabric(up to the stitching--not through it) & press away from the bottom fabric. Done !! Or you can then measure & get another sq THAT size and do the steps again. You will lose sharp points, but it doesn't really matter. I think I started with 5" sqs for the child's quilt. Very easy and quick---

Variety & Contrast means BUY EVERYTHING

Posts: 1049 | Location: oregon | Registered: Jun 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
Think it is fantastic that you are doing a quilt a month! You go girl... chris

Posts: 6312 | Location: Tampa Bay | Registered: Jan 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post