Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Grammar police.. you'lll like this video
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grammar police.. you'lll like this video Sign In/Join 
Picture of ljptexas
posted

Posts: 154 | Location: NE of Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Dec 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
LOL I posted that on Facebook for DS to see. He's 30 and it just irritates him to no end when someone on a Man Cave resale site posts something "for sell" or they are "saling" something.

This video didn't address that, but it is in the same idea.

Posts: 17371 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of needlecrazy
posted Hide Post
Don't get me started.

Axe vs. ask
Irregardless
Alot
Like, ya know?

My current favorite letter from a student: "Thanks for teaching us English gooder." Yep, from one of my ninth graders this past May.

"Laughter is timeless; imagination has no age, and dreams are forever." Walt Disney

Posts: 6678 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: Jun 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Oh, yes, do I relate!! Irritates me to no end.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6820 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NYlady
posted Hide Post
I'm right up there too. I also belong to the spelling police. lol Will send this to my son as he will get it. My two DILS would be insulted.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Staten Island, NY , USA | Registered: Sep 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
I didn't suffer through years of rigidly strict English teachers to now endure the grammar the younger generation deems proper. But compared to literature written in the 1800's and early 1900's, could Baby Boomer usage be considered just as improper or annoying?

Grammar evolution in progress? Confused

Posts: 6125 | Location: About 28,000 Light Years From Galactic Center | Registered: Jul 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GAQuilter
posted Hide Post
Hubby loved it, I too posted to facebook! Big Grin

Group Hug

If you can dream it you can do it. Walt Disney

http://picasaweb.google.com/GAquilter

Posts: 2650 | Location: GA | Registered: Jul 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TerryOH
posted Hide Post
I dislike reading newspapers or books as I see bad grammar, bad spelling, and words used incorrectly. These mistakes are from professional writers and editors. I will admit I do not have perfect grammar and spelling BUT I know the difference between they're, their, and there.

TerryOH

Posts: 2430 | Location: OH | Registered: Nov 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of needlecrazy
posted Hide Post
Terry, I'm buying a t-shirt that says, "Their, there, they're not the same!" I'm hoping my students will read it often enough to figure it out.

I worked for an attorney who couldn't get it straight.

Some of the editors out there should sit in my class. I'd learn 'em rite!

"Laughter is timeless; imagination has no age, and dreams are forever." Walt Disney

Posts: 6678 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: Jun 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17371 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He gave the book to Sherry and I. Arghhhhhhhhhhhh.....drives me nuts.

You know, the worst thing about this whole situation is that there are plenty of folks who'd think we were making a big deal over nothing. I'm sorry. We're talking about basic grammar and communication here, folks!! Don't they teach those anymore?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Florida Farm Girl,

Posts: 6820 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Coco  Cathy
posted Hide Post
I may be Frown Guilty. If so I am sorry if I have offended anyone. But, I agree with TerryOh

I dislike reading newspapers or books as I see bad grammar, bad spelling, and words used incorrectly. These mistakes are from professional writers and editors. I will admit I do not have perfect grammar and spelling BUT I know the difference between they're, their, and there.

Posts: 3066 | Location: Riverside,Ca... | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never seen the book he gave to Sue and I. She's sorely hogging it!

And pronunciation. The Keith Urban song that Taylor Swift sings with him. And she sings:
Cant (not can't - she sings 'cant') live without chew. Cant live without chew.

Now she's from Oklahoma and I'm from Texas. I know our speech patterns are similar, but I also know the difference between 'chew' and 'you'!!!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KeepYouInStitches,

Picture of needlecrazy
posted Hide Post
Coco Cathy, you certainly have not offended me. I realize that not everyone can be perfect. I certainly am not. I'd be willing to bet you do a whole lot better than the former athletes whose second career is sports analyst on television. Some of them are so bad they're hilarious.

FFG, yes, we teach grammar -- at least I do. In fact, I went to a workshop last week to improve my grammar teaching skills. I'm determined to make the ninth graders who come my way a little -- or a LOT -- better writers.

Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
Newscasters that say,"Mr. Smith he..."

"It's bad to supress laughter. It goes back down and spreads to your hips."

Posts: 9036 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bunnybcb
posted Hide Post
Well, many years ago, I took shorthand dictiation and transcribed a letter from my boss to the president of a Japanese company we had formed a partnership with. I received the letter back with the word "then" circled in red, or was it "than", I don't remember now. I was so embarrassed, but to this day I still have trouble with the correct usage.

Posts: 1754 | Location: Georgia | Registered: Jul 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
Songs from my generation aren't much better than today's songs. Paul McCartney singing "My love does it good," for instance.

We also spent a chunk of 8th grade English period discussing why "Winston tastes good like a cigarette should" was not correct (like/as). That was a very famous slogan.

Soap operas are notorious for that "hyper-I" problem: "I knew it! The private detective I hired discovered that the father of my baby was dating Cynthia and I!" Oh, the travesty, on multiple levels! Big Grin

Nancy, the newscasters who get me are the ones who inevitably say, "The car was traveling at a high rate of speed." Re. Dun. Dant!

Now before you think I bust my gussets every time I hear a faux pas (or make one myself), I can overlook many things in everyday parlance, argot, patois, etc. But some things are still as annoying as my English teacher squeaking her chalk on the blackboard. At least I don't send e-mails with "wud" & "cud" for would & could. That is to, two, too annoying for my eyes!

Posts: 6125 | Location: About 28,000 Light Years From Galactic Center | Registered: Jul 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, I know I make mistakes, too but there's no excuse for not TRYING to get it right! I think we all have those little things that really annoy us while we can let the others go.

posted Hide Post
A friend of mine was complaining on Facebook about grammar/spelling. A teacher friend of hers replied that they did they best that they could at the school where she teaches at. Yes...she ended the sentence with "at."

I replied that I was amazed at the number of people who ended a sentence with a preposition.

My friend replied back "LOL." She and I were high school classmates and had the same teachers so she had also caught the error.

Needlecrazy - GOOD LUCK!

Speaking of newscasters...I have one question to you all.
Is "dead body" redundant?

Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KeepYouInStitches:
I have one question to you all.
Is "dead body" redundant?

I dunno -- is the blood still circulatorying in that thar body?? Razz

Picture of Bozie
posted Hide Post
quote:
I replied that I was amazed at the number of people who ended a sentence with a preposition.

Then there is getting carried away. I think it was Winston Churchill who is credited with the comment "Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put."

Personally I think the incorrect version sounds better. But then I ain't no English major! Smile

Martha

Posts: 7191 | Location: Montana | Registered: Mar 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bozie, You are correct. Sometimes that preposition just fits at the end. But that person should have just ended the sentence with "school where I teach."

I had 20 years between high school and college. I think I was more scared that first day than I was the first day of first grade! You should've seen me try to remember all of the grammar rules as well as learning what each instructor/teacher/professor expected which sometimes was nothing you'd ever been taught before. In English Comp I, with paper in hand, the prof was telling us how "there are" was totally unacceptable to him. I looked at my paper and gulped. Since it was double spaced (per his request for grading) I started drawing lines through "there are" (there were *also a no-no* bunches of them!) and making corrections trying to make sense of each corrected sentence. As a non-traditional student (old) my thinking was that he could pass me or flunk me but he couldn't beat me. Wink He saw what I was doing and never interrupted his lecture. He accepted my scribbled corrections as class ended. The next time the class met we were handed our papers. One of the 18/19 year old boys complained about his grade and all the green marks (prof did not like to "bleed" on students' papers) and that we didn't know about the ban on "there are" until after the papers were written. Prof told him that the paper was due at the end of class and that every student had the opportunity to make corrections during class. "Only one of you took the opportunity." He pointed to me and every head swiveled my direction.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KeepYouInStitches,

Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
I saw that video on FB a couple of days ago....it is funny and relevant. Weird Al still looks the same as he did 30 years ago.

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7574 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have one question to you all.Is "dead body" redundant?

Dead write!

Like and as if got to my parents at dinner when I would mix those up. I didn't have to study English at school. I got it at breakfast, lunch and dinner.

"It's bad to supress laughter. It goes back down and spreads to your hips."

Posts: 9036 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Picture of Downsouth
posted Hide Post
My sister and DH both say "come" when it's obvious it should be "came". It's a pet peeve of mine.

DH's grammar on FB is pitiful. He frequently tells me to go in and change what he wrote. I tell him to read it and tell me what he sees wrong..."no, it's easier if you just change it." He says if he gets the point across, what does it matter?" I give up, lol! Big Grin

Devonne

Posts: 15000 | Location: Georgia | Registered: Jan 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
Sometimes DH shows me resumes from work (for people he might hire) & I cringe. These are for high-tech positions, degree required. The resumes should be polished til they shine.

He also has me preview his Powerpoint presentations. It really does help to have a fresh set of eyes reading something, even if I'm not an expert on the subject matter. I can question something that doesn't sound correct or clear, though, and I have caught typos.

Picture of L.L.
posted Hide Post
Red Face: I had a question, but as I read, I got the answer. I will make every effort to fix a way of spelling that I did not realize was wrong until today. 'A lot' is two words Red Face: and I stand corrected.

Now to make me stop this bad habit. When you know better, you do better. I hope so........ Red Face:

Posts: 2414 | Location: Alberta, Canada!!  | Registered: Mar 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gardenpat
posted Hide Post
The confusion between "lose" and " loose" is the one that makes me crazy!!!

Posts: 5149 | Location: central ohio | Registered: Apr 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
I have a degree in English, so many mistakes are glaring and irritating. But I also have two degrees in mathematics. When have you ever bought a can of beans for .50cents instead of $.50 ? I'd be willing to buy two cans for their stated price of one penny. I was also terrified about my poor grammar when I returned to graduate school at the old age of 47. I had a wonderful poster in my classroom showing how spell check can destroy the meaning of sentences. We've all had that happen.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: EvelynB,

Posts: 7563 | Registered: Mar 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holee
posted Hide Post
While we are at it, Teachers need to get out a US map and teach the kids...North, south, east and west. It just drives me crazy when someone in Pennsylvania says they are going "Up to Disney World" for vacation. Last I looked Florida was to the south of Pa. The conversation usually goes...I'm going to DW for vacation. The other person says...Yeah, I'm going up there too. Ugh

Posts: 4780 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: Sep 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Holee, I KNOW! I don't think it has anything to do with geography though. It's more a colloquial thing.

When I lived on the Gulf coast, my DM would say that she and DB were coming "up" to see me next week. Let's remember that I lived 320 miles south of her.

From here to Dallas is neither up nor down, it's "over" there. But let's go up to Dallas sometime. Or same thing with Shreveport which is to the east but we're still going up to the boats, etc.

I think that they need to get some wooden USA and even world maps that the elementary age kids use and continue to use them through high school! I know that the New England states wipe me out just about every time.