Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Row Robin Border-Pic Added
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Row Robin Border-Pic Added Sign In/Join 
Picture of Auntie Reba
posted
Can't decide on the border. Only want it for the sides as it's already 72" long and it's a lap quilt. Do you like the darker red purchased in PA or the original fabric which is on the dividing rows?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Auntie Reba,

Posts: 9527 | Location: Always Moving A Bit | Registered: Jan 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
Dark red! Cute!

Posts: 7289 | Registered: Mar 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
The dark red frames it really nice!

www.pigtalesandquilts.com
www.crazyquiltingsupplies.com

Crazy Quilting is addictive so we just have to STITCH IT OUT LOUD!

Posts: 25809 | Location: USA | Registered: Oct 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
Seriously? You are already unpacked and working on this? Roll Eyes

Dark Red.

“May God give you...For every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile, for every care a promise and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh a sweet song and an answer for each prayer.”

http://www.qovf.org/index.html

Posts: 5049 | Location: Loriland | Registered: Feb 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Lay the dark red over the original fabric or above the top sashing. If that looks good, I would cut the original the same width as the sashing and sew it to the sides. (I see the sashing at the top and assume that it is at the bottom too.) The finish with a dark red border.

Posts: 16960 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tend to like my border to frame the whole quilt using the same fabric.That said I'm inclined to use the original fabric on the sides if the top and bottom are also the original fabric. If the intent is to frame the entire quilt in the darker then I would go with the darker. Super Row quilt...

May
"In Michigan"

Posts: 10058 | Location: Michigan,up North,the west side of Perfect | Registered: Sep 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post
Sherry: I just tried that and DH also agreed. You are absolutely right! Good call!

Posts: 9527 | Location: Always Moving A Bit | Registered: Jan 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motqltr
posted Hide Post
I love the red. I'm not unpacked, but I got home at 3 am. I think I found all the dirty clothes and they are in the hamper.
I need to bring show & tell to work tomorrow

http://flickr.com/photos/motqltr
~Don't assume people have a plan; they might be waiting for you to tell them the plan!~

Posts: 3614 | Location: southeast, Washington, USA | Registered: May 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muggomuggo
posted Hide Post
Dark gets my vote, too! Makes it pop!

my philosophy: there are no real mistakes in quilting, just design opportunities!!

Posts: 4591 | Location: maybe Texas someday | Registered: Jul 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Like your RR. Also like the original small border then the Red to frame it.

Posts: 8045 | Location: Northeast | Registered: Nov 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lakequilter
posted Hide Post
I agree with Nancy. Original on the sides to finish the sashing, then border all around with the dark red. Looks great!
Now was that serendipity for your challenge?

Posts: 708 | Location: upstate New York | Registered: Jun 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcpatches
posted Hide Post
I sometimes cut a 1"-1-1/2" strip in an accent color (in your case the dark red), fold it in half, wrong sides together and sew it betweeen the quilt and the border. Adds an extra dimension which looks really nice.

Posts: 5767 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Jan 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
small border of the original, then a larger dark red

Beautiful

Posts: 528 | Location: Kansas | Registered: Dec 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motqltr
posted Hide Post
ilovemy4kids: did you see my pm?

http://flickr.com/photos/motqltr
~Don't assume people have a plan; they might be waiting for you to tell them the plan!~

Posts: 3614 | Location: southeast, Washington, USA | Registered: May 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quilts"R"Fun
posted Hide Post
I would do a 2" finished border with the red fabric to give a separation to the outer border. Use the original fabric as the outer border and bind it in the red fabric. IMHO...

Posts: 7914 | Location: In a big heaping pile of awesome fabrics! | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great row robin Smile I'm leaning to the darker but then would need to be all the way around. I have mine pinned on a curtain in the dining room just admiring it.

Posts: 837 | Registered: Jun 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post
Here's how it's going. Cell phone shot. Thanks for the tips. I keep having to add more fabric!

Picture of SDgranny
posted Hide Post
Very pretty- like the dark outer border.

sdgranny
www.picturetrail.com/sdgranny
So much fabric-so little time

Posts: 826 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: Apr 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That looks great...

May
"In Michigan"

Posts: 10058 | Location: Michigan,up North,the west side of Perfect | Registered: Sep 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MountainLaurel
posted Hide Post
Love it! I think you made the right decision.

Carolyn

http://harrisburgcof2013.shutterfly.com/pictures

Our lives are like quilts - bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love.

Posts: 2312 | Location: somewhere in my fabric stash | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lakequilter
posted Hide Post
Cheryl - I love how its turning out!! I loved our round robins from a few years ago but I think we've come a ways since then! Yours is really pretty. Now the name of that technique on your challenge was ??? I had it a few days ago.

Char

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lakequilter,

Posts: 708 | Location: upstate New York | Registered: Jun 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Like that border solution. Looks really nice.

Don't think I have enough of my sashing to do the same. um, will have to spend time figuring out what to do.. but that's a winter project.

Posts: 8045 | Location: Northeast | Registered: Nov 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post
Charlene: Check out Free Style Quilts by Susan Carlson...it's adapted from that. Because I didn't blend everything into ONE object in this case, it's individual items glued on..then netted and stippled.
The Pig I made for NC was closest to her technique. GREAT step by step book..Her second one is Serendipity Quilts.

posted Hide Post
Cheryl, my, haven't you been busy! Your borders look great on your RR! And your scrappy pig is awesome! Been wanting to give that technique a try myself some time...haven't yet. Great job!

Posts: 3454 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NICUnurse
posted Hide Post
Oh Auntie Reba-I LOVE yor pig!!! And your RR tuned out so pretty!

I agree with everyone-the dark red really makes it pop!

PamSmile

Posts: 5800 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: Jan 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
... just now getting to see this stuff ... on vacation and running allover town ... I have to say - seeing it now = that I am very pleased with the way my row turned out on this quit .,..and I really like that block, first time I had made it - and will certainly do it again ... your quilt is sure pretty ...

I cannot change 'things', but I can change how I feel about them. Me.

Wounded Warrior Project
www.woundedwarriorproject.org

Posts: 9098 | Location: Inland Empire, CA | Registered: Mar 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the dark red border. Great quilt!

Posts: 1877 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Aug 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shawana
posted Hide Post
I like what you decided on with the border. It's going to look great when you're finished.

Shawn

"Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best."

~ Live Well ~ Love Much ~ Laugh Often ~

http://www.flickr.com/photos/srtrn/sets/

Posts: 3564 | Location: WV | Registered: Dec 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
Cheryl... I loved your NC Pig... and still do!

www.pigtalesandquilts.com
www.crazyquiltingsupplies.com

Crazy Quilting is addictive so we just have to STITCH IT OUT LOUD!

Posts: 25809 | Location: USA | Registered: Oct 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post
I call it
Charlotte's Wilbur.