Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Project Thursday Week 4 - and - Reveal
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Project Thursday Week 4 - and - Reveal Sign In/Join 
Picture of StarrySky
posted
How did it get to be Thursday again?! I had an appointment this morning, so I'm late posting. Red Face

Have you ever had one of those days - weeks - months - years - where things were crazy & time zoomed by, dragging you along, kicking? Well that describes things around here lately, and I've wanted to shout:

"HOLD IT RIGHT THERE!"

Which is the theme for Project Thursday Week 4!

Can you come up with something that HOLDS something else? This is wide open for interpretation however you'd like.

And now you can reveal/post anything you've made so far that fits these categories:

WEEK 1: SOMETHING OLD/SOMETHING NEW
WEEK 2: COLOR MY WORLD
WEEK 3: I CAN DO THAT!

Posts: 5446 | Location: About 28,000 Light Years From Galactic Center | Registered: Jul 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
I cheated for Week 3. I had to sew that gift for my friend. So I'm pulling an old "I Can Do That!" out of my picture files.

First, a confession. I avoided zippers from Home Ec in school til a few years ago. I thought they were really scary & complicated. Then I saw this blog tutorial:

http://threebears.wordpress.co...boxy-pouch-tutorial/

And thought, "I can do that!" I think the board made these as a PJ party one time? Or else a lot of you made them just for fun & posted pictures.

So here's my version, which was filled with candy as a Valentine's Day gift for a friend. I added tabs on both ends to hold while zipping, and a ribbon zipper pull.

If there's anyone out there with Fear of Zipping (wasn't that an Erica Jong book in the 70's?), I highly recommend this tutorial to get you over the fear. It's so easy to make one of these pouches!

Posts: 5446 | Location: About 28,000 Light Years From Galactic Center | Registered: Jul 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
The inside, a pink check:

Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
If I recall, I made the pouch dimensions bigger than what the tutorial said. But that's the beauty of this method -- you can go as big as your zipper, no matter how long that is.

I also fused the 2 fabrics together, and I might have even thrown some Decor Bond in there for body...I forget. But the more layers the merrier & the sturdier the pouch.

I also overcast all my exposed seams & edges because that's the way I roll. Those of you with sergers could probably do better. That's the next fear I need to overcome!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: StarrySky,

Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
beautiful! I love it!

"It's bad to supress laughter. It goes back down and spreads to your hips."

Posts: 8433 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
Thanks. It was really easy. I don't know why I spent all those decades being afraid of zippers. Putting them in something like this is a snap.

Now clothing zippers... Still harboring some old fears there. Red Face

Oh, and Week 2 still sits here in pieces. Double Red Face. But I still like my idea. Just could not get to it, not with everything going on!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: StarrySky,

posted Hide Post
oooh! great tute on a great little bag! Thanks Starry!

Regarding the reveals this week...nothing new to show! Frown

But I do have something for next weeks reveal!

Posts: 3409 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post