Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Sew & Tell 7-12-13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sew & Tell 7-12-13 Sign In/Join 
posted
Sew & Tell is our weekly sharing thread. Tell us what you've finished, what you're working on- we're here to cheer you on!

I'm early, because I leave for WA tomorrow afternoon and have a lot to do in the morning, and don't want to forget to post. Next weeks post will come from Mill Creek, WA!

I finished cutting up my entire scrap bin into scares, strips and strings, and I'm crocheting a baby blanket because it's portable and can go with me on the plane.

What are you working on?
Holly

Posts: 2983 | Registered: Jul 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have safe travels and a wonderful visit with your family, Holly! I've just left the Pacific Northwest and flown to the Midwest, so we are crisscrossing... how many more of us are traveling this summer!

I'm surrounded by Embroidery Floss, Beads, Button and Ribbon - working on the wall-hanging project for my parents.

Enjoy your Sewing!

Posts: 3154 | Registered: Jul 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
I'm escaping the heat, too, and I have the beginnings of a quilt for DH in the works. All fabric cut and a couple of the blocks made. I also have a bit of hand work along with me, just in case.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6543 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JudyTX
posted Hide Post
Finished making all the blocks for Christmas quilt #3. It is inspired by one JAYARDI made several years ago in the Scraps to Treasures swap.

I've played with these blocks--moving them around and around to make sure the color balance is suitable. Still not sure about it, but I'm just about ready to sew blocks together and just go for it. Mine will have a solid border to finish it off.

Thank you, JAYARDI for the inspiration.

Posts: 2487 | Location: EastTX | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
● ● ● ooh, I recognized my block right away. It took me forever to get the colors arranged too. Yours looks great! I think you just inspired me to make another one. Wink

I haven't had any time for sewing since retreat. Frown I did get all my squares up on the wall for this year's challenge. It helped me to decide on a game plan. Big Grin Should start cutting tomorrow.

Life without quilting is not an option! • • • • • MY Photos • • • • • • ENJOY!

Have you met my Circle of Friends? • • • • • • • PJ Party Tutorials

• • • Please! Support OUR Troops: Gratitude Campaign • • •

Posts: 9694 | Location: SE Wisconsin | Registered: Aug 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JudyTX
posted Hide Post
Jayardi, I printed off a pic of your quilt as soon as I saw it and have moved it from room to room all this time. Finally decided to "just do it".

This one is for my DGD who loves polka dots. So, that's what she's getting. I used all kinds and colors of dots and coordinating solids. I think yours had a "constant" solid in the 4P to work with.

I've had a dickens of a time with these blocks, but earlier this p.m., I just stacked them up row by row and began sewing. I posted it on my FB page and the first thing--comment on there was from DGD (she doesn't know it is hers). Her reaction was "Ooooooo, I really like that".

AND--I do apologize for not acting properly by not asking your permission to use your block/design idea. I hope you're not upset. If you are, I'll delete my post.

Posts: 2487 | Location: EastTX | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
● ● ● Not upset at all. actually thrilled.

I can't believe I didn't realize how many dots were in it. No wonder I really like it, and not just because it's my design. Cool How cool your DGD likes it. Make sure you get a photo of her face when you give it to her.

Life without quilting is not an option! • • • • • MY Photos • • • • • • ENJOY!

Have you met my Circle of Friends? • • • • • • • PJ Party Tutorials

• • • Please! Support OUR Troops: Gratitude Campaign • • •

Posts: 9694 | Location: SE Wisconsin | Registered: Aug 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
JudyTx - I like the quilt (and Jayardi's pattern). I hopped over to your photo album and found myself clicking 'like' on many of the quilts. Wonderful!

Posts: 3154 | Registered: Jul 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
My scrap quilt group is working on the Self-mitered Log Cabin quilt by Anita Solomon. It's paperpieced and is nice and accurate. The piecing is easy but it's taken me all day to lay this thing out. I've get each row sewn but need to clean out some paper on the seams and press them before finishing the piecing. I have a lot of trouble with value with kept getting blocks turned around. So I photographed it and changed it to black and white to avoid the influence of the colors. I have lots of strips cut and plan to make a big bed quilt too. On that one I'll use fewer yellows.

Posts: 7299 | Registered: Mar 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JudyTX
posted Hide Post
EvelynB, that is beautiful. Love all the colors, too.
But, why does it need to be paper pieced? Are the strips too narrow? I can see foundation piecing string squares and then cutting on the diagonal. Am I missing something here? This is very pretty.

Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
I thought the same thing, Judy, since I'm not a fan of paperpiecing. You do sew strips into a square, layer 2 together and seq diagonally. But you sew 7 strips in a block then your two diagonal seams are about 1" apart. When cut you eliminate 1 strip and the 2 blocks aren't identical. Hard to cplain but very accurate with the paper pattern. Our group is doing another of her quilts in September because she uses unique cutting methods. We swap fabric strips to get more variety.

Picture of AngelaC
posted Hide Post
Jessica, Judy & Evelyn, you've all got wonderful projects in the works this week!

Evelyn, that quilt is gonna be awesome, but I don't think I could paper-piece a quilt that big. I limit my PPing to very small projects.

I've been working on some mini's to send to AAQI. I didn't do them all this week, but did finish up one & complete 2 this week.

Here's the first- the mini D9P that Sewlove2quilt taught us at COF. I'm calling it "Bubbles"

Posts: 4649 | Registered: Apr 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AngelaC
posted Hide Post
I did another with the same technique, this one is called "Ruby Red"

I actually added more quilting since I took the picture...it's quilted the same as Bubbles

Picture of AngelaC
posted Hide Post
I made this one this week. It's made with 1.5" Ribbon Quilt blocks so I called it "Little Ribbons". It seemed like too much white whrn I finished, so I added the tiny red buttons.

Picture of AngelaC
posted Hide Post
I made another today, but haven't taken a picture yet. I'll add it later when the light is better.

ETA the picture. This one is called "A Little Patch of Sunshine". It's 1" 4-patches & double 4-patches.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AngelaC,

Picture of MountainLaurel
posted Hide Post
Everyone has done beautifully this week. I love them all!

Carolyn

http://harrisburgcof2013.shutterfly.com/pictures

Our lives are like quilts - bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love.

Posts: 2312 | Location: somewhere in my fabric stash | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of quiltedmagnolia
posted Hide Post
The quilts are all beautiful!! I especially love your minis, Angela! I love how your COF class project (the first photo) turned out. I had taken a photo of the part you finished in class (the whole piece without the border), because I loved the color combination - so cheerful!!

Posts: 436 | Location: Paradise | Registered: Apr 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
Evelyn, you always come up some neat idea or trick. I like the B/W photo idea, my camera takes photos in B/W and I've used it for other things, but not quilting. How neat to use it to figure out placement and values. TFS
Ah, we have another person who likes making Minis. Nice quilts Angela, The ribbon one is darling, simple, but so cute.
Jessica... Hand emb. I'm envious, looking good, Be sure to show a picture when it is finished.
JudyTx. Nice looking quilt, looks like it took a long time to make.
I love looking at this thread weekly. Thanks to all for posting your projects to inspire me.

Posts: 8043 | Location: Kenosha Wi USA | Registered: Sep 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
Neat projects everyone!

Just working on unsewing my crumb block top that I have been fixing off and on since I put it together in April... Chris

Posts: 6053 | Location: Tampa Bay | Registered: Jan 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
Took off all the paper foundation, pressed well, and sewed the rows together. Photographed it to discover two rows are in the wrong order! I sure have short stitches and I'm not sure if I'll fix it. Grrrrrrrrrrr

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
EvelynB - Beautiful! I can't spot the rows that are out of order.

AngelaC - very pretty mini's.

JudyTX - that's a neat block and like the top.

JessicaSews - beautiful embroidery. Love all the neat stitches.

Posts: 8053 | Location: Northeast | Registered: Nov 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Evelyn, looks fabulous to me.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6543 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
I kept waking up thinking about my mistake. So for the last two hours I've picked teeny tiny stitches then realized I'd ripped out the WRONG seam!!!!!! Grrrrrrrr

So I started over and ripped, ripped, ripped. I didn't cry and I didn't toss it in the dumpster. Now I'm ready to quilt this wallhanging. Whew! Found a great backing in my stash. Hurrah!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: EvelynB,

Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
Thanks, ladies, for the compliments but it was the top two rows that were wrong. Now it feels right and I'll be happier looking at it in my den.

Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post
It's stunning and all the others too. Thanks for sharing everyone! I am doing a quickie quilt for a friend diagnosed with an aggressive cancer. If it comes out half way decent I will post a picture in a couple weeks, optimistically.

Posts: 9527 | Location: Always Moving A Bit | Registered: Jan 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iluv2quilttoo
posted Hide Post
Beautiful Ladies! Loved them all. EvelynB it was gorgeous before you ripped, couldn't spot the mistake. Glad you are happy with it now, Great job! Deb

Posts: 49 | Location: small town USA | Registered: Aug 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Feels so good.... finally got some sewing done. (Of course, haven't done any housework!).

Here's a couple reversible shirt protectors for the vets home - the rooster was left in a pile of fabric someone donated. Just had to do something with him.

Posts: 8053 | Location: Northeast | Registered: Nov 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
And here's a patriotic, again for the vets home. Half my fabric and half donated.

Also worked a little on the Snowmen sew-along.. still a few days til due date - so trying to get one done on time.

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
And finally hand finished the binding (that I had to rip out the machine finish on last week). The oriental piece was donated so just added a jelly roll to it.