Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  I really like this block..
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I really like this block.. Sign In/Join 
Picture of Kim - Strut526
posted
so clean and crisp looking.
I went to the blog where it was made, no pattern info or tutorial. But she says it was paper pieced. why would you need to do that? and how can i make it? a 10 or 12" block, not mini! lol
She made some beautiful blocks in different colorways!

Made by:http://theconfusedquilter.blogspot.com/2012/09/the-bee-auty-continues.html

Posts: 11810 | Location: Taylor, Mi. | Registered: Sep 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
That is a nice one. I really like the colors of some of the ones she made Smile

“May God give you...For every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile, for every care a promise and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh a sweet song and an answer for each prayer.”

http://www.qovf.org/index.html

Posts: 4907 | Location: Loriland | Registered: Feb 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
Oh, that is eye-catching! You could PP/foundation piece it, or strip-piece it & cut 4 diagonal squares (keeping the centers lined up so the diamond pattern appears). You'll have some waste from a long strip, but you could use those triangles in something else.

For a 12" block, the 4 squares would each have to be 6.5" raw. That might be an awkward size square to cut from a strip piece...unless there's a 6.5" square ruler? Ha ha - I have so many rulers I don't even know what I have without looking. Wink

LOVE the cat in the stacks in the final picture -- that would SOOOOOO happen at my house!! Big Grin

Posts: 5427 | Location: About 28,000 Light Years From Galactic Center | Registered: Jul 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
I think it's the fresh coordinated fabrics that make the blocks wonderful. I wouldn't want just one block so I'd do string quilt blocks making some identical ones to meet in the corners like that. Then the illusion is the 4 triangles that form a square.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: EvelynB,

Posts: 7011 | Registered: Mar 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
Another use of squares on point with strings.

posted Hide Post
beautiful! but i am totally lost here..i look at the block, it looks easy..but i am blank. i am a visual person anyways.. Frown

Posts: 11810 | Location: Taylor, Mi. | Registered: Sep 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Will Quilt for Chocolate
posted Hide Post
That is a very pretty block. I'm guessing that she paper pieced it for accuracy. For that block, you want all those strips to line up perfectly.

Posts: 4786 | Registered: May 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
Here's a single block. It's symmetric so you start with the center strip across the diagonal. You could cut all the strips first if you're good at piecing. I'd probably use a fabric foundation but paper is cheaper so you could sew on the lines. You can buy 500 page reams of 8 1/2" x 11" newsprint that'll go through your printer to get the lines drawn to sew on. That paper tears off very well especially if it's dampened.

posted Hide Post
that looks nice Evelyn, thanks! makes more sense now.
i will have to figure out what size block i want and then make the pattern on foundation paper, i think your right about paper piecing it..would be so much more precise.