Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  New Mystery Sister Block Swap - *Blocks Posted for January*
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Mystery Sister Block Swap - *Blocks Posted for January* Sign In/Join 
Picture of Fleur55
posted
If you are a Board Sister that loves to make blocks and would like to send and receive them, then this is for you. It is a year long commitment, so be sure you can fit it in with all the other fun things in your lifeSmile.

**By December 15,2014 you will have received 12 blocks all made by the same person with the same fabrics.

Title of Swap: Mystery Sister Block Swap
Blocks Due: 15th of each Month - Beginning in January

Details:

1. Must send one (1) 12 1/2" sewn unfinished block DUE 15th of each month.

2. Must use good quality cotton fabric. Mark blocks "washed" or "not washed".

3. Choose a maximum of five (5) fabrics that you will use during the year. Only these fabrics will be used. This is so the blocks will coordinate at the end. All five fabrics do not have to be used in each block.

*Exception to the Five Fabrics - your Mystery Sister requests a Scrappy look.

4. Send a Swatch card of your five fabrics along with your first block. This will allow your Mystery Sister to find coordinating fabric to finish her quilt.

5. You may vary the type of blocks (paper pieced, applique, piecework, etc).

6. No basic blocks (4 patch, 9 patch, Amish Bar), be creative.

**Mailing - blocks must be mailed with a Confirmation Number. Once mailed, the number needs to be sent to me so I can keep track. You can mail 1st Class or Priority. Please place your block in a zip lock bag with the mailing address inside (just in case the envelope gets damaged).

I will place the names in a basket and match them up in the order of sign up. Since this is my first time as a Hostess and really don't know most of the Board, my first concern is making sure the swap runs smoothly (not the mystery part). If you would prefer not sending to me, just let me know in the PM.

Please PM me with the following information:

Board Name:
Name (First & Last):
Mailing Address:
E-mail (for my use only):
Phone: (for my use only);
Color choice for blocks:
Fabric Style (Holiday, Floral, Asian, 30's, Scrappy, etc):
Willing to mail International? yes or no
Willing to be a Mystery Angel (in case someone cannot fulfill their obligation)?

Hopefully I have not missed anything.

Hugs,
Dianne

We're off to a good start!
Information Received Smile Blocks Received Big Grin Pics Posted Cookie

Quiltaholic Smile PP OFF Big Grin Cookie
CitySandie Smile Big Grin Cookie
Fleur55 Smile PP ON Big Grin Cookie
Quilter Jen Smile PP Senders Choice Big Grin Cookie
Headielamar Smile PP OFF Big Grin Cookie
Nickilee Smile PP OFF Big Grin Cookie
Bluesnail Smile PP Senders Choice Big Grin Cookie
Missmommy Smile PP ON Big Grin Cookie
J Lu Smile PP Senders Choice Big Grin Cookie
Quiltnanny Smile PP OFF Big Grin Cookie
Quiltingnewbie2 Smile Big Grin Cookie
AngelaC Smile PP Senders Choice Big Grin Cookie
ELY/SYSSY Smile Big Grin Cookie
Susan-TN Smile PP ON Big Grin
Pvillelou Smile PP OFF Big Grin Cookie
Rn55 Smile PP ON Big Grin Cookie
Sue B Smile PP OFF Big Grin Cookie
Justaquiltin' Smile Big Grin Cookie
Crazy'boutquilts Smile PP OFF Big Grin Cookie

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Fleur55,

Posts: 799 | Location: Inland Empire, CA | Registered: May 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
...count me in ....

I cannot change 'things', but I can change how I feel about them. Me.

Wounded Warrior Project
www.woundedwarriorproject.org

Posts: 9146 | Location: Inland Empire, CA | Registered: Mar 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking about it...

Posts: 1977 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Aug 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
count me in too!

www.pigtalesandquilts.com
www.crazyquiltingsupplies.com

Crazy Quilting is addictive so we just have to STITCH IT OUT LOUD!

Posts: 25900 | Location: USA | Registered: Oct 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Count me in... my stash is finally big enough I should be able to fulfill my partners' request without buying too many fabrics.

Will send a PM later with my info... still thinking about the blocks I would want.

Posts: 1977 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Aug 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of headielamar
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a fun swap, sign me up. I will send you my info later tonight.

Posts: 2909 | Location: Cuddled up in my pretty purple house! | Registered: Jul 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nickilee
posted Hide Post
Great job Diane! I'm in!

"She said she usually cried at least one each day, not because she was sad, but because the world was so beautiful & life was so short"

www.CQnickilee.blogspot.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/crazyladie/sets/
www.RavioleeDreams.Etsy.com - LOTS OF PRETTIES - 4/2014

Posts: 10291 | Location: In the Crazy land of Crazy Quilting, MA | Registered: Dec 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sent my info. Sounds like fun!

Picture of bluesnail
posted Hide Post
Just some clarification, please.

- Will we be mailing directly to our swap partner? (If so, there's no mystery once the names are matched up, right?)

- Will each participant make 12 DIFFERENT blocks? i.e., at the end of the year each person will have a nice sampler collection.

Sometimes I laugh so hard tears run down my leg! Lois

Posts: 2279 | Location: sunny Florida | Registered: Aug 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Missmommy
posted Hide Post
Count me in too. I know you will be a great hostess!

Posts: 3383 | Location: Soon to be NC | Registered: Aug 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fishingwidow
posted Hide Post
Hi ladies,

I think I want to do this one. But like Bluesnail, I would like to know if we are mailing to our swap partner or to you. If we mail them directly to you, then I assume you will send them all out at once in December. IN which case there would be only one charge to mail at the international rate. (if we have any sign ups from out of the country).

Anyway, however we do this, just sign me up and I will forward my info.

Posts: 4071 | Location: On the north coast | Registered: Sep 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nickilee
posted Hide Post
Ladies,

Diane might me out for the day so I will jump in hear and answer your questions. We talked on the phone prior to her deciding to host this swap so I think I have an idea as to how she is going to run this.

* Each participant will be matched up with a secret partner.... (much like the secret sister birthday swap)

*you will mail directly to your partner (same person) every month one 12.5 quilt block.

*to try and keep it a secret just don't put your name on the return address - I usually use the person I am sending it to.

As for mailing - it shouldn't cost you more than $1.00 a month to mail your block as you can fold it up an put it in a regular size letter envelope.

Looking forward to playing with you ladies! I originally said I wasn't going to sign up for anymore swaps but this one is easy - 1 block a month and only about $1.00 to mail out - my kind of swap! Any guesses as to the colors I've chosen for my blocks to be made in? LOL!Big Grin

I'm sure Diane will be along shortly to answer any questions

"She said she usually cried at least one each day, not because she was sad, but because the world was so beautiful & life was so short"

Posts: 10291 | Location: In the Crazy land of Crazy Quilting, MA | Registered: Dec 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fleur55
posted Hide Post
Thank you Nickilee for posting the answer to the question. There wasn't much chatter on the thread so I figured all was good and took off for a while. Love the idea of you all giving this newbie hostess a helping hand when needed.

Just one thing, it may cost a bit more than a $1.00 postage. A few members suggested that it would be better to have confirmation numbers so I can keep track, since you won't know who is sending to you. You can mail 1st Class or Priority and obtain a confirmation number. I stated this in the original post.

Any more questions, just ask.

Hugs,
Dianne

Posts: 799 | Location: Inland Empire, CA | Registered: May 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Missmommy
posted Hide Post
Just sent you my info

Posts: 3383 | Location: Soon to be NC | Registered: Aug 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
Ok I'm in Fluer55 add my name I will send you my info ASAP.

J Lu

Posts: 1145 | Location: Eldersburg Maryland | Registered: Oct 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
Oops! I miss spelled you name. I just sent you a PM.

J Lu

Posts: 1145 | Location: Eldersburg Maryland | Registered: Oct 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fleur55
posted Hide Post
Wow! Already 10 sign ups. Thank you for sending the information PM so quickly.

Hugs,
Dianne

Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
...i saw an interesting question go by ,, not sure it got answered .... I believe I understood that we are mailing to the same person each month, but they are NOT the person mailing to us, correct? Makes being a mystery more mysterious, right ?
Looks like a real nice group forming up ... and i just know it's going to be lots of fun.

Wounded Warrior Project

Posts: 9146 | Location: Inland Empire, CA | Registered: Mar 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fleur55
posted Hide Post
City/Sandie you are correct. To help keep the mystery, just write the person you're sending to in the return address spot also. This tip was passed on to us by Nickilee. All confirmation numbers will be sent to me so I can keep track.

Picture of Quiltnanny
posted Hide Post
I would like to sign up also. will send you info.
quiltnanny

Posts: 4450 | Location: Fabricologist Resource Center, NH | Registered: Mar 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltingnewbie2
posted Hide Post
well...I haven't really done any swaps in a while so like Nicki, this is my kinda swap.

Diane,,,Ill PM you my info !

Posts: 1196 | Location: Still lost in a quilt store.... | Registered: Mar 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
Thinking . . . thinking . . . Sure does sound like fun but I don't want to sign up and not be able to complete the swap. So I'm trying to think ahead to what all I have on my plate for next year. Surely I could do one block each month but don't sign me up yet.

Posts: 6641 | Registered: Nov 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AngelaC
posted Hide Post
I've been thinking about this one. I'm not sure if I completely understand...Confused

Do we REQUEST a color scheme to receive or are we just at the mercy of what our mystery partner chooses to work with?

Posts: 4719 | Registered: Apr 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Missmommy
posted Hide Post
Angela - I don't think Diane will mind if I answer. You get to request the colors , etc that you would like. Go back up to Diane's original post and you will see that she is requesting we each Send her a PM with information, board name, real name, preferred colors, etc. Or you can request scrappy.
Janet

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Missmommy,

Picture of Fleur55
posted Hide Post
AngelaC I hope Missmommy answered your question. It is nice to have the East coast members checking in since I will always be 3 hours late(r)Smile.

Hugs

Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
...Hello - wow - what a nice group we have going here .. I sent my info today ... looking forward to getting started. Thanks for this fresh concept for the new year.

Wounded Warrior Project

Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
OH OH OH I HAVE A SMILEY FACE ....Smile

Wounded Warrior Project

Picture of Quiltnanny
posted Hide Post
I like monthly swaps I have made a couple nice quilts. this will be fun!

Posts: 4450 | Location: Fabricologist Resource Center, NH | Registered: Mar 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AngelaC
posted Hide Post
Ok, what the heck. Sign me up Big Grin

Picture of Missmommy
posted Hide Post
That a girl Angela!

Picture of Fleur55
posted Hide Post
AngelaC I sent you a PM.

Picture of AngelaC
posted Hide Post
I'm already searching for blocks to use Smile

Picture of Missmommy
posted Hide Post
Fleur- can we do any fusible appliqué?

Picture of Fleur55
posted Hide Post
Fusible applique is fine as long as it stays soft and there is some kind of stitching along the edges.

The finished 12 blocks hopefully will showcase a variety of techniques (applique, paper piecing, patchwork, etc.), just have fun with whatever you do!

Dianne

Picture of ELY/SYSSY
posted Hide Post
HI LADIES
DIANE COUNT ME IN IT WILL BE A BEAUTIFUL SWAP
HUGS ELY

Posts: 1784 | Location: Puerto Rico | Registered: Dec 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Susan-TN
posted Hide Post
Dianne- this sounds like fun! Count me in! My PM is already on it's way to you.

Posts: 665 | Location: East TN | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fleur55
posted Hide Post
Ely, just sent you a PM.

Dianne

Picture of fishingwidow
posted Hide Post
DDiane,

I have had second thoughts about this and I don't want to take on a year committment at this time. I will probably be sorry but sometimes I just have too many committments. And I need a little more free time.

Mary

Posts: 4071 | Location: On the north coast | Registered: Sep 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nickilee
posted Hide Post
Hey Ely.... I knew you'd sign up LOL! I was going to call you back and ask you if you wanted me to put your name in ... Big Grin Oh - when you get a chance email me your address so I can order you that magazine we talked about.

Picture of Fleur55
posted Hide Post
Mary, I'm sorry to see that you need to bow out, but I understand. There are so many things we want to do and not enough time. Thank you for letting me know.

Hugs,
Dianne

Picture of Sew Happy
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking about this. Sounds fun and doable. But what colors??????

Another question. If someone picks scrappy would they specify brights, darks etc???? Most of my scraps are bright so it would be hard to do without some idea of what their idea of scrappy is.

Keep calm and carry on

Life is good!!!
Patty (KD0ICU)
In God We Trust

http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j66/PattyannC/

Posts: 1776 | Location: In the northwoods of Minnesota | Registered: Aug 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
...easy - we choose our own colors .... send a sample to the hostess, and go for it. If you have questions after the colors are sent out ... contact Fleur55 for clarification.
This is going to be a little different than some of the swaps, I'm looking forward to it ...

Wounded Warrior Project

Picture of Fleur55
posted Hide Post
Sew Happy, like City/Sandie said you will choose our own colors then when you mail your first block to your Mystery Sister you will include a swatch card (with the 5 fabrics you picked) so she can look for sashing, borders, binding, etc. The swatch cards go to the person you're sending to, not me.

I would be happy to ask anyone who wants "scrappy" blocks as to their choice of brights, lights, darks, etc.

Hope this was helpful. Looking forward to having you join in.

Dianne

Picture of Fleur55
posted Hide Post
Ely, I received your information. Thank you.

Dianne

Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
I am still trying to decide whether or not to join. But I am a little confused. When you say we send our first block, is that block made from fabrics of our sister's choice of colors or our own choice? It makes the most sense to me that it would be our sister's choice but want to follow directions correctly if I join.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pvillelou,

Picture of Fleur55
posted Hide Post
Mary Lou, all 12 blocks will be made with your sisters choice of colors. The samples of the 5 fabrics you pick to match her color scheme will be sent to your sister when the first block in January is sent. This will allow all of us to choose sashing, binding, etc to match. Also having your fabric picked will make it easier to make all the blocks.
If you have any more questions, just let me know.

Dianne

Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your quick answer. That's what I thought you meant but wanted to be sure I understood correctly.

Go ahead and sign me up. This sounds like too much fun to miss. I'll try to always have a block made in advance so that if I'm extra busy some month, I'll have one to send.

I hope I'll have fabric in my stash that I can use. I have a pretty good variety of most types except batiks. If not, I guess I'll have an excuse for a shopping trip.

Picture of Missmommy
posted Hide Post
glad you decided to join us Mary Lou

Picture of Fleur55
posted Hide Post
Just wondering did I give too much time for sign ups?

Dianne

Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
...Good question ... but snce it's kindo f a different approach to the bloxk swap thing, time to make a decision about Having Time was a good idea. Now that we are in the swing of holiday busyness, there will probbly be a few 'forgetteres' so a nice note now and then to keepus 'prompted' might be good .. I happen to l ike gettingmail .. so I would enjoy a note Smile
See what the others have to say - you know I'm just an agreeable sort - until you cross me!!!1

Wounded Warrior Project