Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  August Stashbusting - We have a winner :D
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

August Stashbusting - We have a winner :D Sign In/Join 
Picture of Gonesewin
posted
Welcome to the 2013 Stashbusting Thread.

I am Gonesewin and I will be starting a new thread for each month for everyone to post pictures (If at all possible) or tell about your stashbusting efforts. It does NOT have to be quilting! This can be any kind of Quilting & Needlework!

There are just 2 "rules" to join us: what you make make should be mostly from stash and it should be finished during the month you post it as finished - please don't post things you made otherwise - sew & tell would be a more appropriate thread to share those projects. There are no signups, or swapping or... Just this thread. Everyone is welcome!

As an incentive -or as a reward- cksvett has graciously agreed to give a prize to someone who completes a stashbuster each month if her name is drawn. Let's all be sure to thank her!

Stashbusters for August:
garden pat
cksvett
rainbow
malou
Marion2
Aliquilt
debbieWI
City/Sandie
crazy'boutquilts
Quilter Jen
AngelaC
Shey
shequilts
Gonesewin
Rainbow's DD
PatriciaAnne
Savedsinnr

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Gonesewin,

“May God give you...For every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile, for every care a promise and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh a sweet song and an answer for each prayer.”

http://www.qovf.org/index.html

Posts: 4912 | Location: Loriland | Registered: Feb 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gardenpat
posted Hide Post
Thought I would have this stashbuster done earlier this past week, but being Grandma took the last several days away from my quilting time! Wink

I saw a little photo of this quilt somewhere in cyber-land (maybe on a blog?) and really liked it,so, since there wasn't a pattern name or instructions given to go from, I printed the photo and started deconstructing it completely. Really wasn't that hard to do!

Total stashbuster waiting for the next new baby in our congregation that comes in the next couple weeks! Hope I did okay with my fabric selection!

pat

Posts: 5043 | Location: central ohio | Registered: Apr 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcpatches
posted Hide Post
sew cute!

Posts: 5669 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Jan 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rainbow
posted Hide Post
Pat, that's a darling quilt. Some lucky baby will love it.

l'm still making blocks! Here's today's birthday block and 2 more Christmas blocks.

======================
l would be unstopable IF l could get started!!!

Posts: 9377 | Location: NW AR, Home of the Razorbacks! | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rainbow
posted Hide Post
Back again with 3 more blocks. And, the Christmas stocking was crocheted with yarn from my stash, too! LOL

======================

Posts: 9377 | Location: NW AR, Home of the Razorbacks! | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pat, that is a darling baby quilt! A lucky new baby will love snuggling with that! I love your color choices!
Rainbow, nice blocks and love that mini stocking!
You both did good getting something on this thread the first day!

Posts: 2239 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Apr 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gardenpat
posted Hide Post
Here's my next August quilt for stashbusting!
During the winter last year, I went through my stash and some patterns I had and made up my own quilt "kits", making the initial cuts for each fabric I chose and bagging and labeling the pieces.
Yesterday I pulled out this kit and decided to make it! It took less than 24 hours to make final cuts and sew!

I thought it was going to be a lap quilt but apparently, it is a bed quilt- 82" square! It fits on a full size bed with a really nice overhang! Total stashbuster!

It may take me a while to get it quilted!

pat

Posts: 5043 | Location: central ohio | Registered: Apr 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
Great start this month everyone.

WillQuiltFor Chocolate, your package went out this morning. It should be there Friday.

Been at the serger again. Must get DH to take pictures of the pillowcases I have made and the two baby blankets for Christmas giving... Chris

Posts: 5865 | Location: Tampa Bay | Registered: Jan 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
Here is the backing, pillow case and binding for the crumb block top I finished last month... Chris

Posts: 5865 | Location: Tampa Bay | Registered: Jan 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
My last doll quilt for this year. Also did all the labels for the quilts and hand sewed them on... Chris

Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
Made a bunch of pillowcases this week, but these are the only ones that came from my stash... Chris

Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
Found this fabric while looking for something else and made a couple of receiving blankets out of it so I have them ready for Christmas and the fabric is used up... Chris

Picture of MountainLaurel
posted Hide Post
Here is a casserole carrier I made all from stash.

Carolyn

http://harrisburgcof2013.shutterfly.com/pictures

Our lives are like quilts - bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love.

Posts: 2300 | Location: somewhere in my fabric stash | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rainbow
posted Hide Post
l'm back with more blocks!
More Christmas blocks.

l've never intentionally made a UFO box but l guess you could say that's what l'm doing with the Christmas blocks. l do not know when l will get them made into tops nor quilted.
My quilter retired.
My friend who told me about her in the first place bought her quilting machine.
She's bought a building to put it in.
Now, she's saving money for electricity.
When she's all set up.....
We are going to learn to use the quilting machine together!!!
So, in the mean time those Christmas blocks are going into a box! hehehe

======================

Picture of Rainbow
posted Hide Post
Plus 3 more birthday swap blocks and 6 more Christmas blocks.

======================

Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
Rainbow then when you are ready to learn quilting you will have plenty of things to practice on. LOL 'cause when you are able practice you won't have time to make anything to practice on.

Posts: 7836 | Location: Kenosha Wi USA | Registered: Sep 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rainbow
posted Hide Post
That's Patty! l knew there had to be some logic in there somewhere. Smile

Finally, the last of the birthday swap blocks. l'm caught up and ahead now.

And 4 more Christmas blocks.

Now, l more on to making some baby quilts!

======================

Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
Rainbow, nice looking blocks, that sure is going to be a pretty Christmas quilt.

Posts: 7836 | Location: Kenosha Wi USA | Registered: Sep 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Marion2
posted Hide Post
Here is my doll quilt backed with fleece. I'll get it in the mail Monday.

I love this fabric--and it seems so perfect for a "quilt".

Posts: 5553 | Location: OK | Registered: Jun 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some very nice projects so far. I made 6 bibs and a traveling diaper.changing pad for a friend but didn't take picture. I just finished 9 more pillowcases and I'll try to post a picture, which I usually have a problem with.

Posts: 828 | Registered: Jun 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Will Quilt for Chocolate
posted Hide Post
Wanted to add a quick note to tell Chris that I received my package yesterday. Thanks so much! I'll be back later with a picture and a proper thank you! I just wanted you to know that I got it! Smile

Posts: 4796 | Registered: May 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A lot of inspiration here! I like seeing what everyone is making from stash.
Pat, love your star quilt and the casserole carrier is so nice. I had or have some of that fabric used in the doll quilt!
I made a little project from stash. WQFC will be posting it for me.

Posts: 2239 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Apr 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Malou used some stash! Isn't this cute?!!

posted Hide Post
Thanks WQFC!
I'm in a birthday swap with friends and one wanted a Christmas ornament. Used yoyos to make a mini wreath. Have had the fabric forever! The snowmen are old... from my days of working at Joann's, over 15yrs. ago.

Picture of Rainbow
posted Hide Post
Malou, that ornament is adorable. l love, love, love it!!!

======================

posted Hide Post
Finally...I have to some time to properly thank Chris for sending my gift! It was a Fall theme! A cute note pad, some pretty fall fabrics, 3 magazines and a retreat tote bag!

Thanks so much for sending such a generous gift!

Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting that you received the package and a picture. Enjoy... Chris

posted Hide Post
great job everyone. I just finished my Barn Quilt....a complete stashbuster. Tractor and basic barn patterns came from Bee in My Bonnet blog. I made a few changes to the barns; smaller quilt blocks on the barns and put a block on the silo instead of the door on the silo barn. She gives great directions. Some of the colors look a little washed out, the light outside tonite wasn't the best.

Posts: 1077 | Registered: Jan 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Debbie, I love your Barn Quilt! The little quilt blocks really make each barn special.
That is a winner!

Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
Congrats to th o se gtting things d one - there is some pretty stuff posted.
.. I finally have something to show... my summer has been very busy... and some health issues. This is an official use of stash that did not have a PURPOSE except to make it Smile
the 2 fat quarters are fused with the NEW SteamASeam and it worked very nice ... every bit was stash including the old pkg of double wide bias tape used on the inside ... the pattern show 3 units cut from that one fused set of Fat quarters ... it was quick and it was fun .. so the pieces in the pic will make up 2 more bags and will end up as gifts ...that sweet little floral is the lining in the big bag, but will be outside for the others ..

I cannot change 'things', but I can change how I feel about them. Me.

Wounded Warrior Project
www.woundedwarriorproject.org

Posts: 8994 | Location: Inland Empire, CA | Registered: Mar 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
Beautiful projects.

Posts: 15207 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rainbow
posted Hide Post
Ahhhhh... for the Stashbuster purest, here is a 100% Stashbusting finished quilt instead of all the blocks l've been posting this month.

======================

Picture of Rainbow
posted Hide Post
Now, these next 2 quilts are partial stashbusters. l did buy the backing, teal and pink for these quilts although that was months ago!hehehe The rest including the batting is from stash.

======================

Picture of Rainbow
posted Hide Post
Quilt 3

======================

Picture of crazy'boutquilts
posted Hide Post
Wonderful projects everyone!

I am doing the KC Star BOM this year~ all from stash! Smile

The center star was a bit of a snafu with the paper and the quilt designer. She used Marsha McCloskeys Mexican Star block (without permission). Eek Mexican Star The paper retracted it, and a new center block is going to be published. But I did write to Marsha, and plan to keep her star in my quilt. Wink

Posts: 10447 | Location: Washington! :-) | Registered: Sep 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
love that feathered star block. One of these days I am going to make a 2 color quilt, either red or blue.
deb

Posts: 1077 | Registered: Jan 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Crazy, I love the red and white color scheme. Gonna be a fabulous quilt when finished. Can't wait to see it.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6225 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That red and white is gorgeous CBQ!!! I notice that star is making another 'appearance'! LOL! Are you going to keep teasing me with that?!!! Wink

posted Hide Post
CBQ- I second (or third!) the red and white colors- looks awesome!

My first sewing project (hand sewn) in my new house... made a stuffed potato for my grandpa's birthday (shipped August 3rd for his August 7th birthday), complete with a Super Idaho cape... my grandparents are having a hard time with my family being 630 miles away instead of 90 minutes away, but we couldn't afford northern CA any more.

The potato is made from brown felt, twine, and some fabric scraps. And stuffed with popcorn, since in the move we ended up with 4 bags!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Aug 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
His super potato cape- hard to see on camera, but I drew the Idaho outline and said "Super Spud"

Posts: 1645 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Aug 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AngelaC
posted Hide Post
Wow, lots of awesome some this month, but CBQ's feathered star has got to be my favorite!

I've gotten my 2 Mrs Claus doll quilts done. Here's the first- it's made from the leftovers from a couple of memory quilts that I made a few years ago.

Posts: 4575 | Registered: Apr 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AngelaC
posted Hide Post
And the second was made from the bonus HSTs that I got when I made a comfort quilt last fall with Bonnie Hunter's pineapple pattern.

Both the quilts look better in person Red Face

Posts: 4575 | Registered: Apr 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
..Angela is there directions for this with the odd pieces? Ihave a batchof them from a kids quilt i did a c ouple of years ago and frankly got tired of the HSTs they usually end up as ... I'm behind in everything and just making soemthing with those little parts could be a lot of fun...
they are both adorable - you are a neat lady.

I cannot change 'things', but I can change how I feel about them. Me.

Wounded Warrior Project
www.woundedwarriorproject.org

Posts: 8994 | Location: Inland Empire, CA | Registered: Mar 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shey..
posted Hide Post
finally remembering to post something in here in the month i did it.. lol.. i usually remember too late to post for the month... anyway.. this was a mystery quilt that our guild did.. and i was determined not to buy a thing for it.. it came out fine.. and the only thing i'll need to buy will be the backing when it's time to quilt.. in case you can't see the focus fabric.. they are penguins.. Smile ..

shey..

my blog.. http://sheysstitchinmagic.blogspot.com/
http://twistedstitchers-quiltingnewbie.blogspot.com/

"it's not the human walk.. it's the human race, if you ain't livin on the edge .. you're takin to much space..." Nickelback.. Dark Horse.. This Afternoon..

Posts: 3459 | Location: FL | Registered: Jun 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
Cute one, I like the pattern

Picture of Rainbow
posted Hide Post
Here's a little stashbusting of a different sort. l crocheted little Christmas Angels tonight.

======================

Picture of shequilts
posted Hide Post
Finally, about 8 years later I've made it. Well maybe not that long, but it has been a while. Gonesewin DD gave me things to make the Red Hat PJ and jacket when I was in a group. We moved and I never got them made. Anyway, tomorrow our group is having a PJ carry in breakfast. Yep I'm going to wear mine.

Sew, sew, and sew some more that's my motto!

Posts: 706 | Location: Eaton, OH  | Registered: Apr 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
Rainbow I like your little angels, What did you use for wings??

Picture of Rainbow
posted Hide Post
Thank you Patty. l use leaves from the wedding department for the wings.
l've used white feathers for the wings in the past, too.

======================

Picture of Rainbow
posted Hide Post
Here's quilt # 4 for this month! Total stashbuster.

======================