Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  April Stashbusting - Shop your Stash!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

April Stashbusting - Shop your Stash! Sign In/Join 
Picture of Gonesewin
posted
Welcome to the 2014 Stashbusting Thread.

I am Gonesewin and I will be starting a new thread for each month for everyone to post pictures (If at all possible) or tell us about your stashbusting efforts.

Everyone is welcome! Just as long as what you make is mostly from stash and it is finished during the month you post it as finished - please don't post things you made otherwise - sew & tell would be a more appropriate thread to share those projects. There are no signups, or swapping or... Just this thread.

As an incentive - or as a reward - cksvett has graciously agreed to give a prize to someone who completes a stashbuster each month if her name is drawn. Let's all be sure to thank her! Any kind of Quilting & Needlework will get your name into the drawing. Projects that have their own category on the HGTV boards will not - but please feel free to share them!

Stashbusters for April:
gardenpat
sewlove2quilt
Sue Stitches
crazyforcq
Malou
mcpatches
Handie Ann
Elainetoo
motqltr
cksvett
gonesewin
Sue Stitches
toryam
AngelaC

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Gonesewin,

“May God give you...For every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile, for every care a promise and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh a sweet song and an answer for each prayer.”

http://www.qovf.org/index.html

Posts: 5117 | Location: Loriland | Registered: Feb 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gardenpat
posted Hide Post
Yikes!! This thread was on page two!!

TcMay had started a thread with a link to these "Denim Do It All Bins" and I knew that when I got back from babysitting grandkids in S. CA, that I wanted to make some!

A few weeks ago, a friend gave me some of her stash, including some old jeans and some home dec fabric that she "knew I would find a use for or pass on to someone else that would appreciate it".

When she sees this now, I wonder if she's going to be sad that she gave these away! I have enough jeans to make 3 more! The one I made is the medium size and is can hold more than a #10 can (think restaurant size can)! I am happy!

pat

Posts: 5140 | Location: central ohio | Registered: Apr 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sewlove2quilt
posted Hide Post
I finally dug these blocks out & made a few more to get this quilt top finished. My quilt guild had a 'CYOC String swap' in 2010....how did I know it was 2010? Well, I didn't but 1 of the ladies put a date on hers when she signed the back....lol! It's hanging side ways on the line & was a bit windy....

Hopefully tomorrow I can get it sandwiched & start quilting it. Everything is from my stash...including the backing & batting, also!!! Big Grin

Will post pic's when it's finished. I want to give it to my son for his birthday in June!

eta: it measures aprox 62" by 81"

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sewlove2quilt,

https://www.etsy.com/people/sewlove2quilt2

Take time for kindness & for giving. Take time for friends & happy living!

Posts: 6797 | Registered: Feb 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sue Stitches
posted Hide Post
My ten minute table runner for a Star Wars fan. I've had the fabric for months but couldn't figure what to do with it.

Posts: 877 | Location: Northern California  | Registered: Jan 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gardenpat
posted Hide Post
Here's my next little stashbuster. found this on the internet this afternoon and made it up in about 15 minutes!

Only uses 2 ten inch squares of fabric and 1 of batting, so not much stash busted, however, I plan to make about a dozen to keep around at all times as last minute "thank you" gifts that can be filled with any number of things!

Easy-peasy!

pat

Posts: 5140 | Location: central ohio | Registered: Apr 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
Thanks Pat for bringing this to the front Smile

I made 2 baby quilts from my flannel stash for a friend's kids, one is 2 and the other is due in July, but I forgot to take pictures of them.

They were just simple 9 patches, one green & blue the other purple & pink.

Plus I've been working on my UFO challenge and have 4 blankets made from fleece. Once I get the fifth and final one done I'll take a picture and show them.

“May God give you...For every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile, for every care a promise and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh a sweet song and an answer for each prayer.”

Posts: 5117 | Location: Loriland | Registered: Feb 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
Mailed debbieWI's package on Saturday. Should be there shortly... Chris

Posts: 6162 | Location: Tampa Bay | Registered: Jan 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Craftyrad
posted Hide Post
Pat -- love the little box? Where did you find the pattern?

Ruth Ann

Posts: 1634 | Location: MA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gardenpat
posted Hide Post

Picture of Craftyrad
posted Hide Post
Thanks Pat -- think I'll 'bust some stash' with this one!

Ruth Ann

Posts: 1634 | Location: MA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am finally in "finish-up" mode so last week I quilted 5 quilts and did the bindings. They were all made from my stash over the last year or two. it feels good to have them all done and out of the wip pile. I'll post pictures separately

Posts: 29 | Registered: Sep 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
here's the second one

posted Hide Post
number 3

posted Hide Post
number 4

posted Hide Post
number 5

Picture of Rainbow
posted Hide Post
Wow! Crazyforcq you have been busy. Beautiful quilts!

======================
l would be unstopable IF l could get started!!!

Posts: 9558 | Location: NW AR, Home of the Razorbacks! | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Whoa! what wonderful quilts!!

Welcome aboard, Crazyforcq!!

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6679 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
We're of to a good start this month. Keep it up everybody... Chris

Posts: 6162 | Location: Tampa Bay | Registered: Jan 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Will Quilt for Chocolate
posted Hide Post
Posting a picture of a stashbuster for Malou! I love this and think it would look really good in MY house!! LOL!

Posts: 5014 | Registered: May 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting the picture for me WQFC!
And sorry, it's not for your house!
I have a friend, I worked with her for many years, who is paralyzed from mid-chest down. I spend every Wed with her and she's mentioned a runner for a long side table that's next to her bed.
I'll see her tomorrow and surprise her with this.
It's all from stash.... the center fabrics are from a layer cake I bought in Branson when there for the COF. Made some place mats from some of the layer cake and used the rest for this.

I love everything shown! I check out this thread each month and always see such nice things! It's amazing what we can do with our stash!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Malou,

Posts: 2311 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Apr 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
I don't usually finish things, but I Love to check out this thread and see all the beautiful projects you all are making. I'm amazed at how something from stash can be matched up and made into something beautiful. Thanks to all for sharing.
Pat

Posts: 8118 | Location: Kenosha Wi USA | Registered: Sep 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
That's really a nice runner and gesture, malou. I'm sure she will love it Smile

Picture of gardenpat
posted Hide Post
Finished my UFO for the April challenge on this board and when I finished quilting it, I realized that I had used up all of the fabrics in the quilt! That's what happens when you use only scraps to make a quilt! Lol!!

So I looked through my stash and found this stripe fabric for the binding.

pat

posted Hide Post
Pat, how beautiful! Love the Springy colors!
Good for you finishing it for the UFO Challenge! You did good! It's not even to the half-way mark of the month!!

Gonesewin, thank you for the compliment! Ann did love it and was surprised that it fit the table perfectly. She is a great lady and it was fun doing it for her.

Posts: 2311 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Apr 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcpatches
posted Hide Post
Haven't finished my UFO challenge yet, but took a break to quilt this quilt for kids I finished the end of March. This was made from a garbage bag full of 2" strips of all lengths someone had given me - picked out some I thought went together and ended up with this.

Posts: 5786 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Jan 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcpatches
posted Hide Post
And of course, I had a block left over that didn't look right in the quilt, so it turned into a doll quilt. All alternate strips were beige, but taking a picture in direct sun light makes them look white.

Posts: 5786 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Jan 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gardenpat
posted Hide Post
Wow, McPatches, you are just going to town with making things this month!!! Love the quilt! That border fabric is wonderful!!!

Here is another one of the Denim Do It All Bins that TcMay had a link to on another thread. A friend gave me small scraps of home dec fabric and some old blue jeans and so this was a total stashbuster! Hope she doesn't regret giving them to me because I've enjoyed using them to make these!

pat

Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
Smile - malou

That looks really good McP!

I think I'm going to have to try out those baskets when i get home..

Picture of motqltr
posted Hide Post
such cool fabrics. I haven't really sewn all month. Have a day off work, it's after 10 am and I still haven't migrated to the basement yet. I have so many projects in my head, most of which require cutting, so not sure how long my hand/shoulder can last. Dental appt at 4 pm, so I have abt 5 hours left.

http://flickr.com/photos/motqltr
~Don't assume people have a plan; they might be waiting for you to tell them the plan!~

Posts: 3628 | Location: southeast, Washington, USA | Registered: May 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Handie Ann
posted Hide Post
I did some stash busting, just some green bags I also used up some of my orfen and test blocks.

Handie Ann

Posts: 3564 | Location: Des Moines, Wa. USA | Registered: Jan 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
Nice! I especially like the red and black one Smile

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Always enjoyable to see what quilters have come up with for projects.

Haven't spent much time viewing the boards and almost none in my sewing room for weeks. Sigh..
Hopefully ambition hits me soon.

Did get these blocks done for the april BOM. At least a little thing done.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Elainetoo,

Posts: 8115 | Location: Northeast | Registered: Nov 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
we're on pg 2 Frown

Is everyone on vacation? I just got back from Hawaii and the machine I usually use is still at the spa so I'm not going to get much done until I get her back on Saturday. But I do have my backups and a quilt that needs quilted so I will be keeping busy Big Grin

Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
I sent my machines to the spa last week while I was away and fully expected them to return home today. Guess what? They want to stay a day or so longer!!! I need them home!!! They've got work to do in the next few days and a retreat next week.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6679 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
wow. Yours are spoiled Big Grin or maybe they know they need the extra time since they'll be doing so much when they get back?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Gonesewin,

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Great quilts. really like all the different patterns.

I finally got time in the sewing room. Wow - did that feel good. I got 2 small simple lap QAYG done. Here's one.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Elainetoo,

Posts: 8115 | Location: Northeast | Registered: Nov 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
And Here's number 2.

Picture of motqltr
posted Hide Post
I did some sewing last week and got several items with only hand-sewing to do. Tuesday I attended a conference and sewed all day.
I have finished one mugrug and a coaster; a bowl potholder. I am negligent in taking pics but will do that today.
I have to empty my camera card and charge the camera for an event on Saturday

http://flickr.com/photos/motqltr
~Don't assume people have a plan; they might be waiting for you to tell them the plan!~

Posts: 3628 | Location: southeast, Washington, USA | Registered: May 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Miss Lensews2
posted Hide Post
No sewing going on here lately, sad to say, but I love to check in here when I can just to see what all you wonderful folks have been making. A lot of nice things so far, great job stashbusters!

Posts: 5314 | Location: ~ if I'm not here...I wish I was. ~  | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of toryam
posted Hide Post
They're all going to one person but I'm counting this as finishing FIVE projects since it's liable to be the only thing I finish for some time, lol.

After finishing these I've decided the little neck strap should be the same fabric as the wing. Notes for next time, lol.

Posts: 4054 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: Aug 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
Please forgive me and my ignorance Charlynn, are those visors or bibs or what?

Picture of AngelaC
posted Hide Post
I finished my April UFO challenge. This was a Planet Patchwork NY Day mystery in 2006 called Gems in the Ruff.

Posts: 4682 | Registered: Apr 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of toryam
posted Hide Post
I guess they're a 'fail' cuz That's exactly what DH asked, lol.... they're SUPPOSED to be bibs but I guess if they work as visors that's cool too Big Grin. They're also supposed to look like birds. Oh well, they're finished, that's what counts, she can use them as pot holders for all I care, lolllolol

Posts: 4054 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: Aug 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Miss Lensews2
posted Hide Post
Angela that quilt is beautiful!! I love every inch of it.

Toryam I thought at first they were hair accessories & then I felt stupid when I realized they were visors. lol. They will make very nice bibs & I can see the "bird: in the polka dot one because it has a polkadot where an eye would be. (had to look at it sideways to see it) Good job my dear on completing 5 of them.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Miss Lensews2,

Posts: 5314 | Location: ~ if I'm not here...I wish I was. ~  | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
More neat things this month!

I am back in a pillowcase phase... Chris

Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
Next batch... Chris

Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
Last group. Told DH it represented about 22 yards of fabric. He said you can't tell the difference... Chris

Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
That's not "fail", Toryam, that is "Multi-Purpose"!

Here is my last offering of scrappy strip leftovers made up into my April Quilt:

Picture of Sue Stitches
posted Hide Post
Here's a little doll quilt, eventually for the Mrs. Claus project. It was a mini leader and ender project. I did everything from stash.

Posts: 877 | Location: Northern California  | Registered: Jan 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sue Stitches
posted Hide Post
My binding and sewing helpers. The white one (Miss. Kitten) will not take no for an answer!