Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Secret Sisters 2014 - Mar 31st packages coming in!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Secret Sisters 2014 - Mar 31st packages coming in! Sign In/Join 
Picture of sassy needle pusher
posted Hide Post
My local quilt guild is having sew day next weekend and we're making valentines post cards to swap with each other. Make them Saturday, draw names to swap with, and mail in time for Valentines. At home...not at all. I have my Valentine here every day...so I guess we celebrate any old time we want! If he plays his cards right, I might make heart shaped cookies with icing squiggles. But, would I be tickled to get a valentine in the mail from my SS? HECK YEA!

Sassy NeedlePusher

Posts: 4358 | Registered: Dec 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Time t o reveal the first secret! Kentucky Sunshine was the first t o post that she is ready for mailing, so she wins a surprise! Big Grin

Who else is ready t o mail? Only three weeks left before the deadline! I know some people live out of t own, have work commitments etc so if you want t o mail up t o a week in advance and fit in around your schedule thats fine also. Postage goes up January 26th for postcards, letters and a 60c increase if anyone is using the large flat-rate box. Whoever is mailing t o Kentucky Sunshine might want t o mail early as well Wink

Please don't post on this thread if you have mailed - send me a PM instead so I can keep track. The super slueths he re might figure out who their Big Secret Sister is by the package dates, especially since its a small group this year. Lets keep the mystery going for a few months longer Smile

1 Gonesewin
2 DjillM
3 Shawkl
4 Sassy Needle Pusher
5 Sue Stitches - January box ready
6 Kentucky Sunshine - January box ready
7 Muggo Muggo

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jane_Kiwi,

Posts: 1797 | Location: New Zealander livin' in NYC | Registered: Jan 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two weeks to go!

Jane_Kiwi

Posts: 1797 | Location: New Zealander livin' in NYC | Registered: Jan 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kentucky_Sunshine
posted Hide Post
Woo hoo....I won a prizeSmile I hadn't checked in for a while, been trying to play catch up after being sick...funny how 2 weeks worth of housework just waits on you until you get better, and WOW the dirty laundry!

I wanna quit cleaning and sew!!!

" Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.. "

Posts: 7023 | Location: "Across the ocean blue amongst the wildflower's & honeydews" | Registered: Aug 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK ladies, I'm back, just a few questions before I call it a night...because it is entirely to quite on this thread!

What type of patterns does everyone like? Wall hangings , quilts (size) table runners, holiday themed, bags & purses?

For handwork, what does everyone prefer? Projects?

What tools & notions do you have that you find really useful? Are there any that you would like?

Favorite handmade items to receive if any?

Yea, I know I'm nosey, but I'm fishing....lol...thinking about my next package already!

I love patterns of all sorts mainly make quilts, but also love table runner patterns, and love the pillowcase sets that you embroider...

I love to embroider and do candle wicking , crazy quilting has taken me by surprise and I love the freedom it allows me to be creative. I also really enjoy appliqué, by machine and by hand, and am thinking this is the year I may try a Baltimore Album quilt, the one that really appeals to me is the Baltimore Christmas pattern, but it's expensive, might try to purchase it when I'm in the states...I also like the William Morris patterns, but so far have only done one small one called Strawberry Thief.

Hmmm, my favorite tool is a little wooden iron I purchased a few years ago, it is well worn, used and loved...and shawlk sent me a bodkin which I love! I have used it so often...and a stiletto is priceless to me...my ruler with the rotary cutter attached is the bomb for cutting long strips, and I love my Westalee rulers! My sidewinder travels with me... Oh and did I mention I love my magnifying glasses...I had so much trouble last year with my eyes, and they have really helped to keep my needles threaded!

Notions I'd like...lol...a decent needle threader would be great, and hmmm I could use a new pressing sheet...and machine and embroidery needles are always useful...

I collect pincushions, but adore anything handmade, I used to participate in the mini quilt swaps, and mug rug swaps so have a collection of both, and I love handmade Christmas ornaments...ok I'll shush for now...looking forward to seeing everyone's answers.

Trish

" Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.. "

Posts: 7023 | Location: "Across the ocean blue amongst the wildflower's & honeydews" | Registered: Aug 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
quote:
What type of patterns does everyone like? Wall hangings , quilts (size) table runners, holiday themed, bags & purses?

For handwork, what does everyone prefer? Projects?

What tools & notions do you have that you find really useful? Are there any that you would like?

Favorite handmade items to receive if any?

Hmmm...patterns? I have a lot of patterns and never seem to get much done with them. But, I think organizational things are my favorite to actually try. I like sewing related ones, and love anything about embroidery or crazy quilting.

The tools that I use most often is a simple #2 pencil. My rotary cutter is from Gingher and would always enjoy blades for their 45mm size.

What would I like to have? Hmmm...well, Milliners or straw needles in all sizes; silk ribbon in all sizes and colors; tiny little 2mm crystals or small glass beads (I don't like plastics); any types of embroidery perle or speciality threads (like silks or Caron Wildflower, etc); and any fabric that Moda makes! That's a long list!

Handmade?...I adore little pincushions and use them everywhere in the house. I like mugrugs but have no place for wall-hangings or table runners. I already have a machine cover and machine mat and several tote bags...but, hey that's not to say I can't use another one.

If my Big Sis ever gets stuck...just contact Thearica...she has a lot of CQ stuff in her shop that I get...and can 'fix you up'! Or Nickilee's beautiful hand-dyed laces are gorgeous as well!

Okay...next up? How about it...post your answer too. Hugs KS...thanks for asking.

Posts: 4610 | Location: Alabama | Registered: Nov 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sue Stitches
posted Hide Post
What type of patterns does everyone like?

I like modern quilt patterns that are not too complicated.  I do have a fat eighths  bundle and a half yard bundle that need plans.  I love to make doll quilts.   I think I'm between a confident beginner and intermediate.  Paper piecing patterns would be fun. Appliqué patterns are nice as well as holiday themed and pincushion or sachet ideas. I am much better at hand sewn than machine sewn.  

For handwork, what does everyone prefer? I love to hand embroider, English Paper Piece, sashiko, and hand turn appliqué.  I'm just venturing into crazy quilts. 

What tools & notions do you have that you find really useful?  I am very fond of my rulers and Accuquilt Go.

Are there any that you would like? What is a sidewinder?  Silk ribbons and beautiful beads would be neat.  Anything else for crazy quilting like variegated perle cotton, metallic threads,  hand-dyed lace or regular embroidery floss. I misplaced my floss and organizer - about 150 skeins!  Embroidery patterns are always fun. I  just got some John James ribbon embroidery needles.  Sashiko notions would also be great.  Things to help me get organized would be helpful.  

Favorite handmade items to receive if any? I love handmade items of any kind - pincushions, kitchen towels, napkins, I can't think of anything I would not like - well maybe not a burp cloth!  No grand kids yet.

"Inside every Girl Gone Wild is a quilt loving grandma waiting to come out" - Gabriel Rutledge

Posts: 544 | Location: Northern California  | Registered: Jan 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post

****For handwork, what does everyone prefer? Projects?

Favorite handmade items to receive if any?****

For wall hangings I like fun, cute or whimsical patterns - seasonal is good. I have so many big quilt pattern ideas in mind that I have NO need for anymore. I have a bin of upholstery fabric samples I plan to sew together to make bags so patterns for fast and easy ones would be good.

I really need new needles - both machine and hand. I seem to have lost most of mine - or broken them...

I have oodles of 3/4" hexie patterns that some day I will get to work on... Other than that the hand work I do is whatever project I am working on - binding or applique, etc.

I like mettle threads - I go through black, white, ecru and light and dark grays quickly. I'm not a gadget type person. I also go through seam rippers quickly and could use those! The lip on my long ruler has broken but I still try to use it. I think I have it one my wish list but then I found that I have another - again with the lip broken but it is still quite useable!

I appreciate any handmade items but prefer table toppers & wall hangings.

My New Year's Resolution is to not buy any fabric this year and to finish 1 full sized quilt a month to donate. But if my SS has any larger pieces of fabric she'd like to donate I'd be thrilled to take them off her hands! Backings are going to be interesting to come up with!

“May God give you...For every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile, for every care a promise and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh a sweet song and an answer for each prayer.”

http://www.qovf.org/index.html

Posts: 4914 | Location: Loriland | Registered: Feb 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmm...what kind of pattern? I'd love the kind that come DONE! I love embroidery projects and that's the way I tend to shop for patterns.
For handwork, I love it all Quilt binding used to be my favorite part of quilts, but...I'm about over that.
Tools and notions - The thing that's like a stiletto you wear on your finger...to keep from burning when pressing little things, or to push tiny bits under the presser foot. That would be cool to add to the collection.
Handmade? There's a favorite? Anything someone takes the time and effort to make me is appreciated!
I've had some precious SS's in the past. My favorite things run the gamut from a handknit scarf to the Biltmore! Fruitcake and cheese curds! A sewing machine "pocket" project (sits under my machine and has pockets in the front to put small stuff in) and matching pincushion/thread catcher ~ and my pumpkin table topper. I can go on all morning telling you the wonderful reasons I signed up this year...but the BESTEST thing I've gotten from my SS's is the friendships that formed.
Just know, I am not patient with waiting for everyone to get their packages to open together...I will sneak mine open and there's not a thing you can do to stop me Smile And, I'll make everyone at my quilt guild put up with me taking "YOU" to show and tell with me!
CAN'T WAIT TO GET THIS PARTY STARTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sassy NeedlePusher

Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted Jan 17, 10:49 AM Hide Post
Hmm...what kind of pattern? I'd love the kind that come DONE!

Ha! Don't we all!

Posts: 4610 | Location: Alabama | Registered: Nov 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DJillM
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]
What type of patterns does everyone like?)

I like pieced patterns. This year, Fall/Halloween. and Christmas. I really want to make some Xmas wall hangings.
I also like pieced Cat patterns. I enjoy scrap quilting. String quilts.
I wanted to ETA: My sis asked for more ideas. I always need thread 100% cotton Coats/Clark or Mettler. Colors light gray, natural, white, black. Christmas Fabrics, Fleece small Wintery prints or solid for snowmems scarfs for a wall hanging. Long Pins, embroidery thread, I collect anything Siamese Cats or Shih Tzu dogs, bookmarks, coffee cups, calendars. Xmas ornaments. I hope this info helps. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DJillM,

Posts: 153 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DJillM
posted Hide Post
Thank you to my secret sis. I received 3 envelops in the mail today. One was an Olfa Circle cutter Iv been wanting for such a long time. Second envelpos had a scallopped Pinking Scissors, I needed these for some projects!!! and the third a quilt magic tuck and go, how cool.
I think by the not there may be a Iris pattern on the way. Wow today was like chrictmas, Thank you, thank you. You cheared up my rather everything going wrong morning.
Jill Smile

Posts: 153 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
I received an unexpected surprise in today's mail Big Grin

My SS sent a box to little ol' me! yay her!

In it I found wrapped in sparkly tissue paper what at first I thought was a lovely "embroidery stitching tool" aka a needle punch, but after further consideration decided it could be a great gift. I will look forward to trying it out Smile
Also, there was a packet of double chocolat - who doesn't love calorie free chocolate?! Definitely useable Smile
there was also a small pair of scissors, and who can't use another pair of those?
a tres elegante note pad
a finger pin cushion which I just may find will come in handy
There was a lovely spool of Ricky Tims' Razzle Dazzle thread - very shiny and very pretty.
Finally there was a needle book - I have needle books but this one is hard backed. I really like it!
Thank you SS for a very thoughtful box and I thought the note was a nice touch.

“May God give you...For every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile, for every care a promise and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh a sweet song and an answer for each prayer.”

Posts: 4914 | Location: Loriland | Registered: Feb 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WOW, love seeing the packages already arriving, I'll be stalking the mail man soon...way to go Secret sisters!

Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
KS...my mailman is so confused...he actually came to the house twice yesterday! Didn't leave any packages however. Sometimes he must get in such a hurry that he forgets to leave all the mail...happens about twice a month!

Love seeing all the goodies!

posted Hide Post
LOL Kathy, that is one confused mailman, mine often gets confused to, he puts other peoples mail in my box, I'm convinced he just looks at the numbers and not the street address, because the house number is usually correct, just the wrong street...hoping to see you in the spring Kathy!

Picture of DJillM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DJillM:
( a quilt magic tuck and go, how cool.
I think by the note there may be a Iris pattern on the way.)

Now I know why I received a Tuck & Go. I received a Quilt Magic no sew wall hanging, of beautiful Iris's.
I can't wait to try this. This looks so fun!! Thhe wallhanging will look so nice when finished in my bedroom.
Thank you so very much for this month package. I love everything.
Jill Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DJillM,

posted Hide Post
Mail men - the new folks on our route have to put mailbox on post at the curb. My house is grandfathered in. We have a mail slot in the house. He parks, delivers the letters, then goes on the rest if his letter route. If he has packages to deliver, those get done later. How can that be time efficient? Don't know, but that's his schedule. So, I don't get too excited about a package coming til at least mid afternoon. THEN I sit on the porch and wait Smile

Sassy NeedlePusher

posted Hide Post
But let me tell you, she can get excited!!

Chinese proverb "When you have only 2 coins left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other"
I say, "Make the bread, pick the flowers from your garden, buy a candle and stretch the rest for a fat quarter." by Leanne Beasley in the magazine VIGNETTE

Posts: 1637 | Registered: Aug 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
Well the postman got an "atta-boy" today. He delivered a package from Thearica...at CrazyQuiltingSupplies (better known as Quiltaholic!).

I first wondered what I had ordered...and forgot that I did. But, my memory is still intact (somewhat at least)...as my sly Big Sis had her send me a wonderful supply of threads (jewel tones), some pretty little silver charms (none of which I already had...yeah!)...a delicate little hankie to use in a CQ block (if I can every dare cut it up!)...and three GORGEOUS glass buttons for me to bead up as cabochons. I'm dancing around the sewing room!!!

Big Sis...you done good!!! Thank you so much for your obvious caring that I'd like what I got...and I hope it was not too much trouble for you.

Does thes mean that you are not a crazy quilter? Hmmm....could that be a clue? Thearica is sworn to silence...and I could not get a single hint from her on who you are.

But, here is a photo of my beautiful threads and buttons and such...aren't they pretty?

Picture of Sue Stitches
posted Hide Post
Has anyone heard from Jane? I have sent two PMs but no reply.

"Inside every Girl Gone Wild is a quilt loving grandma waiting to come out" - Gabriel Rutledge

Posts: 544 | Location: Northern California  | Registered: Jan 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
I've seen her on facebook...I'll let her know you're looking for her.

Picture of Sue Stitches
posted Hide Post
Thank you! She contacted me. I just worry about people.

posted Hide Post
Well my feet were cold, but the rest of me was having fun! lol. Sure gets cold standing in line for Greyhound bus Wink Had a fun trip to Mt Laurel to a Waitangi day celebration for the weekend.

Glad to see the SS packages starting to arrive!

Jane_Kiwi

posted Hide Post
Just heard that one more package left the building yesterday, and one going out tomorrow!

I will check up with everyone this weekend and make sure everything is where it should be Smile

Thanks to those of you that already posted the interesting things you have received, or even shared pics with everyone Smile

Jane_Kiwi

posted Hide Post
I hope none of our packages are stuck in icy closed road situations. It'll be the spring thaw before we get anything through!!!!!

Sassy NeedlePusher

Picture of Sue Stitches
posted Hide Post
Regular post is taking a long time. Blocks I mailed last week arrived yesterday and a package a friend sent to me has been sitting (per the tracking) in a facility for a couple of days. Oh well, patience is a virtue ( but annoying)

posted Hide Post
But, would I be tickled to get a valentine in the mail from my SS? HECK YEA!

THE MAIL MAN CAME TODAY!!!!! WITH A VALENTINE FROM MY SS!!!!!

I'm trying to post pictures, but, they just get hung up. Do you want me to tell you what it is? Laurle Burch kitty valentines fabrics - right? On red base. TOTE BAG!!! pockets inside filled with Junior mints (where did I put that mint and chocolate are my favorite candies Smile ). And a PEZ dispenser with candies, and some socks with puppys and hearts and a Reeses peanut butter cup valentine! And a sweet Valentine message. I LOVE MY SECRET SISTER! There are girls at my guild that will try to steal this ~ Kat lovers and Laurel Burch lovers. It's going with me EVERYWHERE! Yes, I do have a dog - a big yellow dog. We have had kitties along the way. Our most recent, Rosemary, disappeared around Christmas. We think the little girl next door took her inside and is holding her captive. That's okay with us...she'll love the extra attention and living inside! And, the little girl has always wagged her around like a baby doll. Smile Good deal all the way around.
Thank you, SS - YOU MADE MY DAY!
(If I can get pictures to play nicely with HGTV, will display. If not, can I send them to Jane Kiwi via e-mail and see if she can post?)

Sassy NeedlePusher

posted Hide Post
one view

Sassy NeedlePusher

posted Hide Post
2nd view

Sassy NeedlePusher

posted Hide Post
last view

love the fabric, love the pockets filled with goodies inside...really love the FEEL of this bag!

Sassy NeedlePusher

Picture of Sue Stitches
posted Hide Post
What fun! Oh where oh where can my little box be? Smile

Picture of Sue Stitches
posted Hide Post
It's here! Very cute needle book and little pocket with dividers plus a planner I can log my projects in and an interesting book on spinning pinwheels with CD! Thank you Secret Sis!

Picture of muggomuggo
posted Hide Post
I just got home from a long day and there was a box waiting!! Yay!! I will list and post pics in the morning when the light is better. Thank you SS!

my philosophy: there are no real mistakes in quilting, just design opportunities!!

Posts: 4558 | Location: maybe Texas someday | Registered: Jul 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
Jane, sent you a PM...did you receive?

Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
me too!

Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
Oh where oh where has Jane gone? Hoping all is well.

Picture of muggomuggo
posted Hide Post
This is long overdue...
My box had a big bad of Lindor Truffles, which I love, a beautiful handmade Valentine card which I can send to someone(or keep because it is pretty), 3 beautiful fabrics, binding clips(those are great), and alphabet tiles that can be used on quilts. I have to see what those are all about. Thank you so much BSS! I loved the owl card/note , too!

Anyone else have pictures to post? We haven't heard from everyone, have we?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: muggomuggo,

my philosophy: there are no real mistakes in quilting, just design opportunities!!

Posts: 4558 | Location: maybe Texas someday | Registered: Jul 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muggomuggo
posted Hide Post
Oops, I forgot the neat Golden Retriever magnet! I am a multiple golden mom!

Picture of ~~Tx~~  Wildflower
posted Hide Post
I PMed Jane yesterday. Have not heard from her. Hope she is okay. I copied my PM to her and I am going to paste it in this message:

posted Feb 07, 2014 08:19 PM

Jane, when you texted me; this is the surprise that was in store for me? I am indeed surprised and delightfully so. I feel like I should be giving to someone too. It has been a couple of years since I participated. I do miss it but my health this past year took precedence. Which reminds me I was sick with bronchitis when pkg arrived in an Amazon box. Said to myself, "I did not order anything from Amazon". Looked for paperwork inside box and could not find any. Let a few days pass. Trying to get over bronchitis for my surgery this past Tuesday the 4th. Looked in box a bit more today and noticed a card taped to some tissue paper telling me I have a Surprise SS. I have not gone through everything in box yet. Still trying to recuperate. However, I did notice the cutest Dottee Doll. Looked like a likeness of me. So cool. One can never have enough Dottee Dolls, pincushions, bags, jelly rolls, etc. 

I will try to post on main board in a few days about my special pkg. Please do me a favor; copy and paste this msg to my marvelous SS. I'm so happy and thank you for making me feel so special, BSS.

Susan

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ~~Tx~~ Wildflower,Feb 08, 2014 05:11 PM

Posts: 17159 | Location: Zone 9a | Registered: Sep 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muggomuggo
posted Hide Post
That's wonderful, Susan!!

Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
Okay Susan...you must post a photo of that dottie doll! I want to see if it really looks as cute as you do!

Sending hugs my friend!

H-U-G-S

Picture of carmellady
posted Hide Post
Ladies

I'm so HAPPY that your doing this again!!! I Love getting gifts BUT most of all I LOVED SENDING GIFTS it was fun chasing my SS around the board to see what I could come up with next. I had the BEST BIG SS and the best LITTLE SS

carmellady

Posts: 2443 | Location: Somewhere Over The Rainbow | Registered: Jun 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muggomuggo
posted Hide Post
Aww shucks, BSS!! Wink

Picture of muggomuggo
posted Hide Post
Bumping up...

posted Hide Post
Someone posted earlier about getting a box (or in my case a bag) set aside and putting SS "stuff" in it for when the time is right to send to SS. My bag is starting to look like it's having fun...I hope when its the right month to send the right stuff, my SS will have fun with it, too!
Is anyone else starting to understand how much I've missed playing SS and how tickled I am to be taking part again this year?

Sassy NeedlePusher

Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
Anyone heard from Jane?

Picture of muggomuggo
posted Hide Post
This thread has been very quiet!

Picture of DJillM
posted Hide Post
Im here, haven't been posting though. Iv been so busy shoveling snow, more snow and even more snow to come this tuesday. Besides the snow my Shih Tzu, Gemma, had 6 beautiful litte puppies... so precious!

Jill

Picture of Sue Stitches
posted Hide Post
Oh puppies! What fun. Hope they get into a pic. I'm adding stuff to my SS box. That was a great idea. My only problem is I think we both need some things. Wink