Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Secret Sisters 2014 - July/August packages!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Secret Sisters 2014 - July/August packages! Sign In/Join 
posted
I am hosting Secret Sister for 2014! I will be making a couple of changes from prior years. We will mail out 6 boxes instead of 12, to cut down on postage. Each box should value up between $25 and $30. The first box would be mailed by January 30th, the last by Nov 30th to allow any Xmas/Christmas themed gifts to be appreciated.

This is an ENTIRE YEAR commitment. Even if you use stash to make most of your box value, it is also a financial commitment. Having two months between mailings should give people enough time to find nice things for their secret sister, or to make some things as well. Please give some thought to this before choosing to sign up Smile

Please send me a PM with your names, mailing address, phone number and email address(es). I will then send a questionnaire for you to fill out (like prior years) so that each person will have some basic information about their secret sister to help you decide what to send.

If you have any questions or concerns before you decide if you want to participate, feel free to add them onto this thread (others might have the same questions) OR send me a PM.

Jane_Kiwi

Mailing
January 30th
March 31st
May 31st
July 31st
Sept 30th
Nov 29th

1 Gonesewin
2 DjillM
3 Shawkl
4 Sassy Needle Pusher
5 Sue Stitches
6 Kentucky Sunshine
7 Muggo Muggo

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jane_Kiwi,

Posts: 1812 | Location: New Zealander livin' in NYC | Registered: Jan 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of royalboomer
posted Hide Post
I did this a few years ago but have been thinking I might try it again this year. I'm 90% sure Smile

Posts: 6628 | Location: Great Midwest | Registered: Oct 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SavedSinnr
posted Hide Post
Awesome Jane ... GLAD to hear you may be hosting ... you'll be a GREAT hostess Big Grin

2014 ... I wish you good health, love, peace and QUILTING!

Posts: 8005 | Location: digging my way out of that place I call my sewing room | Registered: Apr 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does this mean you are one of the six, Saved?? Smile

and thanks for the encouragement Wink

Jane_Kiwi

Posts: 1812 | Location: New Zealander livin' in NYC | Registered: Jan 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would be interested, this could be a lot of fun and help me grow in my new found love.

Posts: 16 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: Oct 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DJillM
posted Hide Post
I might be interested.

Posts: 160 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SavedSinnr
posted Hide Post
No, not for me Jane Smile I need to learn to be quiet for a whole year Eek But you WILL make an awesome hostess! Need some moonpies to get you going? Big Grin

2014 ... I wish you good health, love, peace and QUILTING!

Posts: 8005 | Location: digging my way out of that place I call my sewing room | Registered: Apr 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
Sign me up!

“May God give you...For every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile, for every care a promise and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh a sweet song and an answer for each prayer.”

http://www.qovf.org/index.html

Posts: 5115 | Location: Loriland | Registered: Feb 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok that's four of six so far... I will check back tomorrow and see if we are going for official sign ups or not Smile

Saved, I just gave up chocolate for 10 days and it feels pretty good! I might even make it a policy to only have it once a week lol. So nope, no moonpie needed Big Grin

Jane_Kiwi

Picture of DJillM
posted Hide Post
I am in, I love these types of exchanges.

Posts: 160 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Will give it to the end of today to see if 2 more are interested Smile

Jane_Kiwi

Picture of emb115724
posted Hide Post
I can remember my mom having secret sister way back when. I would be interested in joining this.
Edna

" Prayer is for the soul what nourishments is for the body."

Posts: 877 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltnanny
posted Hide Post
I would like to try it out. sounds like fun!! sign me up please..

Posts: 4441 | Location: Fabricologist Resource Center, NH | Registered: Mar 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sassy needle pusher
posted Hide Post
On the very first day I signed in, it was the last day to sign up for SS for the following year. I got in by the skin of my teeth. I've met a few life long kind of friends since. PLEASE sign me up! I was SO hoping someone would host this year!

Sassy NeedlePusher

Posts: 4363 | Registered: Dec 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like we have the six minimum! I will officially start sign ups Smile They will be open until 11/15/2013. I will send out the questionnaires once I get a PM with your Board name, real name, phone number, email, mailing address and fingerprints. OK I don't need that last one but the rest are necessary for signing up Smile I'm excited to be hosting!

Jane_Kiwi

Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
you are funny. PM sent.

“May God give you...For every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile, for every care a promise and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh a sweet song and an answer for each prayer.”

Posts: 5115 | Location: Loriland | Registered: Feb 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltnanny
posted Hide Post
Jane kiwi. I have decided to pass this time.. hope this does not mess you up!!

Posts: 4441 | Location: Fabricologist Resource Center, NH | Registered: Mar 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
I'm glad that I saw this. Please sign me up too!
Hugs,

Posts: 4640 | Location: Alabama | Registered: Nov 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Quiltnanny:
Jane kiwi. I have decided to pass this time.. hope this does not mess you up!!

Not a problem! Smile

Jane_Kiwi

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shawkl:
I'm glad that I saw this. Please sign me up too!
Hugs,

You are on the list! I just need a PM From you - details of what I need are at the top

Jane_Kiwi

Picture of Sue Stitches
posted Hide Post
This does sound like fun. If there is room I would like to join - will send a PM

Posts: 869 | Location: Northern California  | Registered: Jan 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of royalboomer
posted Hide Post
Frown "stuff" has come up that is likely to interfere with this so I'm going to have to go with the 10% and bow out. I'm so very sorry.

Posts: 6628 | Location: Great Midwest | Registered: Oct 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kentucky_Sunshine
posted Hide Post
Shew I am thinking about this, but international postage is such a pain, I like the idea of not having to post to each month...I suppose I could always volunteer to be a swap angel, do you have one yet?

" Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.. "

Posts: 7036 | Location: "Across the ocean blue amongst the wildflower's & honeydews" | Registered: Aug 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jane-Kiwi, I sent a PM with my info.

I'M SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sassy NeedlePusher

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kentucky_Sunshine:
Shew I am thinking about this, but international postage is such a pain, I like the idea of not having to post to each month...I suppose I could always volunteer to be a swap angel, do you have one yet?

Kentucky,

No swap angels yet. But I do know at least one person is willing to swap internationally, so if you would like to play that works as well Smile

If anyone else is willing to post international, please let me know just in case,

Jane_Kiwi

posted Hide Post
Three days left to sign up!

Jane_Kiwi

posted Hide Post
Sign me up please miss jane...and how's about I send you a few little items to put in an angel box, so no one will miss out...just in case Smile

Pm me you address please...I will be in the states in the spring so I will do my best to notify you in time for my BSS to mail to me at my sisters house, I have my fingers crossed that I will get to make the Alabama retreat!

" Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.. "

Posts: 7036 | Location: "Across the ocean blue amongst the wildflower's & honeydews" | Registered: Aug 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Kentucky, thats so nice of you Smile

Glad to have you in the swap too!

Jane_Kiwi

Picture of muggomuggo
posted Hide Post
I have been on the fence.....I am teetering to the 'do it' side. I will make a decision before the deadline...

my philosophy: there are no real mistakes in quilting, just design opportunities!!

Posts: 4596 | Location: maybe Texas someday | Registered: Jul 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
Oh KS...please come in April!!! Oh, please...please...please!

Posts: 4640 | Location: Alabama | Registered: Nov 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am doing my very best to make it happen Kathy, I just hope Caleb will end up with a nice teacher who is willing to let him do online work or conferencing...how cool would a Skype call be to his classroom? Lol...I just don't want him to fall behind on anything the 2 months he is away from school.

Picture of emb115724
posted Hide Post
jane did you get my pm? Sorry don't have program to open the papers to fill out!!

Posts: 877 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of emb115724
posted Hide Post
Sorry I didn't receive a reply from you and haveing problems here , DH just had neck surgery so, things are tight, and I"m dropping out. Forgive me if I cause a problem.

posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that Edna.

Best wishes to your husband for a fast recovery.

Jane_Kiwi

Picture of muggomuggo
posted Hide Post
My info has been PM'd.

my philosophy: there are no real mistakes in quilting, just design opportunities!!

Posts: 4596 | Location: maybe Texas someday | Registered: Jul 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Woohoo!! Smile

Jane_Kiwi

posted Hide Post
I will have the assignments by the end of the day. We may have to run it without Grandmasbrood. I don't have any of her details yet, so I can't even call her.

Jane_Kiwi

posted Hide Post
You all have sisters! Big Grin

But its late, and I'm starting to see double, so some of you will have to wait until tomorrow to find out who!

Jane_Kiwi

Picture of Sue Stitches
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much for doing this Jane!

Posts: 869 | Location: Northern California  | Registered: Jan 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everyone now has their little secret sisters name, address and questionnaires. Any questions feel free to PM me anytime!

First box is due January 30th which is a little over 2 months away. If you are new to this, I suggest printing out your LSS info, or making some notes, so that you can be on the lookout for items when visiting your LQS, or other stores with cute/handy things they might like.

If anyone else has suggestions or tips feel free to jump in too!

Jane_Kiwi

Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
There is a special box in my sewing room, and I put my SS little gifties there as I purchase or make them. Then, when the sending time comes around, I pick a few things from the box...and maybe add some fabric from my stash...and some chocolate!

Having a place just for putting things keeps me from having to hunt for something I purchased weeks ago. And it helps me to keep each month a nice surprise instead of having a huge haul one month...and not much the next month.

Just an idea you might want to try.

Hugs,

Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good plan to me!

posted Hide Post
Did I mention that there were still 2 or 3 secrets to be revealed? Big Grin

Jane_Kiwi

posted Hide Post
But don't ask me, coz I am not telling! (Yet) Smile

Jane_Kiwi

posted Hide Post
Sneaky

Sassy NeedlePusher

posted Hide Post
I'll go ahead and start the first question off.

How do you celebrate Valentines day?

Personally, I feel that it's a private day. It irks me when random people at work say "Happy Valentines day" because I don't want to say it back, but kind of obliged. Although that being said, I wouldn't object to chocolate in a Secret Sister package Wink

What are your thoughts? Smile

Jane_Kiwi

Picture of Sue Stitches
posted Hide Post
I teach so I give my little ones Valentines Day Cards and we have a wee party. Then I come home to roses from my husband and I cook him his favorite dinner and we exchange cards. Pretty simple but I hate paying someone else a surcharge for a holiday dinner. I would really rather have chocolate than roses but my husband is very proud that I get them every year, even once when he was in Japan. I have to hide them from my cats.

Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
Ha!, chocolate is always welcome in my house!

I don't celebrate this holiday at all. When Aidan lived with me we would make valentine cards for her classmates.

posted Hide Post
I've always done the Valentines cards and such, but never really cared for the holiday, as my birthday is the day after, and i always get one gift for both days...lol...but Caleb and Charlie tend to spoil me so I'm starting to enjoy it.

posted Hide Post
Popped in to say my package is ready to go, and now I want hot chocolate...lol