Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Taking Baby Steps Out of My Comfort Zone
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Taking Baby Steps Out of My Comfort Zone Sign In/Join 
Picture of suewho
posted
Looking at the scrappy quilts posted here, I decided to try to set out of my comfort zone. You see, I don't have an artistic eye or flair like some of you and I marvel at the color combos, scrappy quilts posted.

So, being typically me, I bought a kit (yep, a kit) for a scrappy table runner. Comes with a charm pack that gets slided into 1.5" strips and 4 strips get joined to form a block. Well, GIANT step for me. Decided to throw all of them in a bag and just select 2 at random (gasp!). My only rule was no two fabrics alike together. Now I'm going to join 2 sets of pairs together in the same way (oh my head can't take this "willy nilly").

I'm hoping that this will do me a world of good when it's all said and done. Got any helpful hints or trips for a Type A personality with a predilection for structure and logic (lol)?

Posts: 115 | Location: NW Pennsylvania | Registered: Sep 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TerryOH
posted Hide Post
My advice is "Just Do It"

TerryOH

Posts: 2422 | Location: OH | Registered: Nov 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kay-lin
posted Hide Post
Smile
There's no wrong choice, no mistakes; anything you pick is all good.

Posts: 4470 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Jun 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twostep
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to seeing your project. I'm getting ready to do the same ... throw all into bag, pull out and sew.

Posts: 6793 | Location: Bubbleland | Registered: Sep 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of quilting wifey
posted Hide Post
go for it, it will teach you something in the process. Either you will like that method or that you require another approach to doing those.

I bought a die cut kit of a quilt because I had always wanted to do that particular block and the kit was colors I liked and was on sale (finally!)

The directions were the pits, as in no directions at all except sew A to B and then to C. I didn't mess up the piles so didn't get much change in the blocks from them. When I had all the blocks together I couldn't get a placement look that I liked. I finally gave the whole thing to someone else to make into a top or whatever. I have learned that style is just not the one for me.

I hope you enjoy yours.

Madelyn

Posts: 6190 | Location: SE MN | Registered: Jan 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Will Quilt for Chocolate
posted Hide Post
I'm a type A too. Good for you for stepping out of your box. I have to admit that I didn't pick my scraps randomly! Still can't quite do that!

I think you have an excellent start. Your scraps will coordinate and that will make you happy. The only advice I might offer is use that system for as long as it makes you happy. It might take you through the entire project, it might only get you half way through.

Can't wait to see some pictures of your progress!

Posts: 5029 | Registered: May 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can so relate. My first scrappy quilt I hated but I learned from it. I put it on the back of the couch for weeks and studied it to see what I disliked. Now I love my scrappy ones. I make a point of having brights, dark, lights, dulls, and I use small squares so if I hate a piece it doesn't bother me in the whole quilt. Just go for it and you'll learn as you. If you hate the first one, give your pet a gift.

Posts: 2291 | Location: Arkansas Zone 7 | Registered: Aug 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It most likely will be your favorite project this year,so just do it.

May
"In Michigan"

Posts: 10150 | Location: Michigan,up North,the west side of Perfect | Registered: Sep 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
Squint a lot when you look at it...it kind of gives a better overall view. Ignore colors....choose value instead (dark/lights). Try the ugliest fabrics together...you'll be stunned at the end that they all look good together. Have fun. No quilt police here. Remember that the Gee's Bend quilts are hanging in the most prestigious art galleries in America. Be BOLD.

"It's bad to supress laughter. It goes back down and spreads to your hips."

Posts: 8903 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KBlue
posted Hide Post
Good for you! Can't wait to see the finished quilt. I haven't done a scrappy yet, maybe some day. I do love the look of them.

Posts: 765 | Location: Oregon | Registered: Aug 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlueSkies7
posted Hide Post
I love scrappy quilts too. It is hard to step out of the box and do something different. I did a rail fence from a pattern in a magazine that I just love. (Can't put my finger on the name of the quilt or magazine right now, but will keep an eye out for it.) I am not a fall colors girl, but tried to do this one in those colors. It was hard! I had learned long ago to use fabrics that I thought were ugly in a scrappy quilt. So for this project I purposely bought some fabrics that I never would have purchased in order to have some variety. I will say that they really do make the quilt. So my tip is "don't avoid those fabrics that you don't instinctively like, just let them play with the others." And certainly don't put two of the same together. Go, go, go!

Posts: 285 | Location: Northeast Alabama | Registered: Jul 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AngelaC
posted Hide Post
I tried the paper bag method too...I've got to admit that sometimes I did put a piece back & try again when I didn't like how it looked next to the piece in my hand. Roll Eyes Whoever said look at values, rather than colors is right. And, don't be afraid of your uglies...as Bonnie Hunter says "if it's still ugly, you just haven't cut it small enough!"

Good luck with your comfort zone exercise. And if you decide you like it, look for Jayardi's annual Scraps to Treasures Challenge. If you sign up, tell her that AngelaC sent you! Wink (we'll both get extra fabric to use Big Grin)

Posts: 4691 | Registered: Apr 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
I used to think that scrappy quilts were just that....scrappy through & through. I never cared for them too much because they never seem to have a rhyme or reason. Then I discovered that the scrappy quilts that really appeal to me were the ones that have a dominant color throughout. I'm talking about having sashing all the same color or scrappy stars floating on a backgroud color or definate designs. Does that make sense? I'm not saying that "total" scrappy quilts are not pretty but I just prefer those with a definate pattern to them. Check out the thread that toryam posted titled "Show us your scrappyh quilts, please!" & see a lot of variety.

Congratulations to you for stepping out of your comfort zone. That's how we learn.

Nicki

Posts: 8331 | Location: Texas / Zone 9 | Registered: Sep 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kay-lin
posted Hide Post
I remember a tip that Jinny Beyer had for all-over scrappy quilts (not a unifying color or theme). She said to divide the quilt into small sections or blocks in your mind. Then in each section make sure you have one scrap darker than the others, and one scrap lighter than the others. Values, again. Smile

Posts: 4470 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Jun 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sue Stitches
posted Hide Post
I'm a novice at this but I am noticing how the brightness of one fabric can make an adjacent one look quite dull. The string quilts are great practice. I have been making two inch square patches for engines and cabooses (what most call leaders and Enders) for doll quilts and ripping them apart because I just don't like how they look. Finding khaki green does not play well with others.

Posts: 952 | Location: Northern California  | Registered: Jan 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm a novice at this but I am noticing how the brightness of one fabric can make an adjacent one look quite dull.

Bravo! you're a great way into learning about color theory. I had a class in college once that all we did was experiment and do exercises in seeing what one color did to the next. It was difficult but fun at the same time. Now try to find colors that brighten up each other 9and ignore the little voice in your head that says, "These don't go together" Try anything and you will be very surprised. "What happens if I try this with this..."

"It's bad to supress laughter. It goes back down and spreads to your hips."

Posts: 8903 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of our lqs owners wasn't a total scrappy type. When we wee doing one year's BOM, she did a controlled scrappy. One fabric or may be that had more of them than some of the others that were the true scraps. Turned out pretty good. She just liked some control.

Someone was on Simply Quilts one time that was doing a log cabin. Lights were in one bag and darks were in another. She used which ever light or dark she pulled out, even if two of the fabrics were the same. Think it might have been Sharon Crumb.

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6337 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Patty j and I made our first scrappy quilt using the bag method. Neither one of us is scrappy but we both completed our Fabric Fling and loved how it turned out. Go for it and show pics after it is done. Good luck. Sue

Posts: 1592 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post