Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Where is a good tutorial on fusible machine appliqued points?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where is a good tutorial on fusible machine appliqued points? Sign In/Join 
Picture of nlk
posted
Does someone on this board do wonderful applieque? I'm trying more of it lately but have a terrible time with machine applique on points...like pointy stars. When I get to the point of the star I can't seem to get the point to remain pointy & then my stitches overlap each other when I get to the other side. I think I'm suppose to make my stitch length shorter when approaching the point & will try that on my next applique. I would love to find a you-tube that shows...slowly... how to get to that point & over to the other side. I've been searching for several days on the web with no luck. My little October Fish on the "New Fish for October" thread looks like something has been nibbling on her top fins. Big Grin I really want to learn to do better than that.

Nicki

Posts: 8505 | Location: Texas / Zone 9 | Registered: Sep 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AngelaC
posted Hide Post
I don't have an answer, but are you using a machine blanket stitch, narrow zig-zag or a satin stitch. Maybe you can use that to narow down your you-tube or google search.

Posts: 4719 | Registered: Apr 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
Thanks Angela. I really like to use the blanket stitch & will try that in my web search.

Nicki

Posts: 8505 | Location: Texas / Zone 9 | Registered: Sep 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bozie
posted Hide Post
This tutorial on machine applique gives hints on how to deal with both inside and outside points when using either satin or blanket stitches.

Martha

Posts: 7187 | Location: Montana | Registered: Mar 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Missmommy
posted Hide Post
I just took a fusible applique workshop yesterday. Among a lot of other tips, we learned that zig zag and satin are much better for points than blanket stitch. Try making your stitches smaller and be sure to pivot at the point with your needle down in the background fabric not the appliqued piece. Hope this helps.

Posts: 3383 | Location: Soon to be NC | Registered: Aug 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
Bozie, that's a great tutorial. I've already learned a lot from it & will study it closer in the next few days. Thanks...I can always count on you!

Missmommy, I've only tried the satin stitch as practice but my stitches seem to curl up in the fabric. I read today that a stabilizer on the back helps with that. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks for the tips.

Nicki

Picture of Missmommy
posted Hide Post
nik - try a tear away (non fusible) stabilizer and don't make your satin stitch too narrow or too close.

Posts: 3383 | Location: Soon to be NC | Registered: Aug 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
Will do!

Nicki

Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
Nicki, I used the stabilizer on the back of my fish and it seems to make a difference.

Posts: 8219 | Location: Kenosha Wi USA | Registered: Sep 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nicki...instead of stabilizer try Golden threads paper or white gift type tissue paper,you just need a little more than the fabric to grab hold of. I use Golden thread for lots of things like applique.It tear away so good.

May
"In Michigan"

Posts: 10181 | Location: Michigan,up North,the west side of Perfect | Registered: Sep 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
Oh May, I have some of that Golden threads paper & tissue paper. I will try it with my next one. Thanks!

Nicki