Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  MARCH Stashbusting -->
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MARCH Stashbusting --> Sign In/Join 
Picture of Gonesewin
posted
Welcome to the 2013 Stashbusting Thread.

I am Gonesewin and I will be starting a new thread for each month for everyone to post pictures (If at all possible) or tell about your stashbusting efforts. It does NOT have to be quilting! This can be any kind of Quilting & Needlework!

There are just 2 "rules" to join us: what you make make should be mostly from stash and it should be finished during the month you post it as finished - please don't post things you made otherwise - sew & tell would be a more appropriate thread to share those projects. There are no signups, or swapping or... Just this thread. Everyone is welcome!

As an incentive -or as a reward- cksvett has graciously agreed to give a prize to someone who completes a stashbuster each month if her name is drawn. Let's all be sure to thank her!

SEW, let the stashbusting continue!

Stashbusters for March:
SavedSinnr
Elainetoo
MountainLaurel
nlk
Rainbow
Lindaj52
sewandsew
jayardi
Handie Ann
Marion2
Will Quilt for Chocolate
motqltr
crazy'boutquilts
Mary J
DJBrown
gardenpat
PatriciaAnne
char77
goaskmom
cksvett
PatV82
sewlove2quilt

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Gonesewin,

“May God give you...For every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile, for every care a promise and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh a sweet song and an answer for each prayer.”

http://www.qovf.org/index.html

Posts: 4907 | Location: Loriland | Registered: Feb 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well I will start with my BOM for March Smile, seein's how I have to have it up first thing in the morning... I plan on stash busting MORE this month Big Grin

2014 ... I wish you good health, love, peace and QUILTING!

Posts: 7980 | Location: digging my way out of that place I call my sewing room | Registered: Apr 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
We need to see more projects with all that orange you got, Chicky. LOL Smile Maybe Precious will get to use some of that orange to make something???

Posts: 7831 | Location: Kenosha Wi USA | Registered: Sep 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patty j:
We need to see more projects with all that orange you got, Chicky. LOL Smile Maybe Precious will get to use some of that orange to make something???

:blush: Wave

Posts: 7980 | Location: digging my way out of that place I call my sewing room | Registered: Apr 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
bump

Posts: 5860 | Location: Tampa Bay | Registered: Jan 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Binding done on one..

Posts: 7981 | Location: Northeast | Registered: Nov 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MountainLaurel
posted Hide Post
Swirl table runner from a class that our own MB member, quiltslots, taught. I just pulled some batiks from my stash instead of buying anything new.

Carolyn

http://harrisburgcof2013.shutterfly.com/pictures

Our lives are like quilts - bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love.

Posts: 2298 | Location: somewhere in my fabric stash | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AuntJo
posted Hide Post
savedsinnr love that block

Mt laurel like the swirl runner

Posts: 4296 | Location: N.Y., USA | Registered: May 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
I made these burp cloths for my boss's wife who is expecting their 2nd child on March 10. It will be a girl & I had girly flannel in my stash so I made 6 of these for her. I made her a baby quilt too but it was from a kit & not stash. I'll post it later for all to see. These burp cloths are so easy to make. The hardest thing about them is finding cloth diapers these days! :0

Nicki

Posts: 7916 | Location: Texas / Zone 9 | Registered: Sep 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does this count? I used 2-1/3 yards of 108" wide batting Smile

Hey LORI ... recognize this guy? Wink

Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
Great start to this month everyone!

Mailed out crazyboutquilts package yesterday. Don't have the slip with me at work so don't remembe the expected delivey date, but wanted to post so everyone knew it went out... Chris

Posts: 5860 | Location: Tampa Bay | Registered: Jan 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rainbow
posted Hide Post
l have decided that as l make birthday blocks or charity blocks l am going to make 2 Christmas blocks by that same pattern. Some day l'll have enough Christmas blocks to make Christmas quilts for both of the beds in the Grands bedroom.

Here's the first ones l've made. This is one birthday block and 2 for me. They just happen to all be Christmas this time.

======================
l would be unstopable IF l could get started!!!

Posts: 9373 | Location: NW AR, Home of the Razorbacks! | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rainbow
posted Hide Post
l'm trying to use up my old Christmas fabric. l've had it long enough and now l want some new Christmas fabric. Gotta make room!

Another birthday block, not Christmas and 2 more for me!

======================

Posts: 9373 | Location: NW AR, Home of the Razorbacks! | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SavedSinnr:
Does this count? I used 2-1/3 yards of 108" wide batting Smile

Hey LORI ... recognize this guy? Wink

Nope, let me see his legs

As soon as you get that quilt that is on the design wall finished it'll count

“May God give you...For every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile, for every care a promise and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh a sweet song and an answer for each prayer.”

Posts: 4907 | Location: Loriland | Registered: Feb 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lindaj52
posted Hide Post
I did some stash busting this month. I did my Row Robin row three totally from my stash (sorry, no pic 'cause they're secret until the retreat), and I have already pulled the fabrics for row four from my stash also. I'm also planning on using my stash for Quiltaholic's Butterfly Block swap. Once I get those blocks started, I'll post a pic.

LindaJ52

Posts: 2387 | Location: Clifton, IL, USA | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Rainbow, I love your idea of making the extra blocks when you make the birthday blocks. Before you know it, you'll have enough for another quilt.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6210 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sewandsew
posted Hide Post
I made this three zipper pouch with stash.

Posts: 563 | Location: Home | Registered: Sep 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sewandsew
posted Hide Post
And here is the matching water bottle holder.

Posts: 563 | Location: Home | Registered: Sep 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
● ● ● I used up a WHOLE bunch of stash on this one. Big Grin

Life without quilting is not an option! • • • • • MY Photos • • • • • • ENJOY!

Have you met my Circle of Friends? • • • • • • • PJ Party Tutorials

• • • Please! Support OUR Troops: Gratitude Campaign • • •

Posts: 9621 | Location: SE Wisconsin | Registered: Aug 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lumpy Tush
posted Hide Post
Well I didn't get anything sewed but I did get my quilting machine leveled so maybe I can get back in the swing of things soon.
Love all the projects y'all.

Posts: 3094 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Handie Ann
posted Hide Post
I have the binding sewed on my Son-in-law's quilt so I can show it now. the backing is from stash and the top was in the UFO file. first the top.

Handie Ann

Posts: 3436 | Location: Des Moines, Wa. USA | Registered: Jan 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Handie Ann
posted Hide Post
Now the back. He picked out the top. I had to add to the back so I used the w/b and green to kind of draw the eyes away from the floreal for him.

Handie Ann

Posts: 3436 | Location: Des Moines, Wa. USA | Registered: Jan 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wannaqlt
posted Hide Post
All great project and that is a striking quilt Handie Ann. It looks masculine even with the flowers. Now, how did you get that small strip of green next to the black in the border? Really sets it off.

Posts: 688 | Location: California | Registered: Jun 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Handie Ann
posted Hide Post
The small strip of green is a one inch strip of fabric that I folded in half right side out and sewed in with the border. When I quilted it I had to tack the strip down so the needle would go over it without pulling it up out of place.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Handie Ann,

Handie Ann

Picture of sewandsew
posted Hide Post
Black and white with that gorgeous green is really striking. Love it.

Picture of Rainbow
posted Hide Post
Florida Farm Girl, thank you. l'm making different (and ones l've never made before) blocks for each B-Day block so l thought it would be a good way to practice the blocks, used up my old Christmas fabric and make a couple of Christmas quilts.

Handie Ann, l love the green, black and white combo. Your SIL should be pleased.

jayardi, l love that quilt. Cool pattern.

sewandsew, l was looking for the third pouch then l reread what you wrote. Cool! 3 zippers. l haven't mastered one, yet.

SS, like the quilt on your new wall!
Your decoration in front of the wall isn't bad either! Cool colors in your BOM. Smile

Nicki, cute burp cloths. l'd love to see the quilt, too.

MountainLaurel, your table runner is fantastic!

Elainetoo, lovely R/W/B!

l need to get busy and get more done. Does anyone know where time is disappearing to?

======================

Picture of Handie Ann
posted Hide Post
Oh Rainbow if I knew where time was disappearing to I would run and catch it to make it come back.LOL

Handie Ann

Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
I know where an hour of it went...

Picture of gardenpat
posted Hide Post
When I get back from Texas later this week, I'll take a picture of the queen size quilt that I just finished quilting before we left.

pat

Posts: 5036 | Location: central ohio | Registered: Apr 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LOVE LOVE LOVE the projects so far this month ... and yes, Lori ... that top will be finished this month ... and I have another on the board as well ... now if I could just finish all the projects in my head, I'd be the stashbusting queen! Big Grin

Picture of Marion2
posted Hide Post
I made some more potholders from stash bandanas and b/w fabrics.

Posts: 5547 | Location: OK | Registered: Jun 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DJBrown
posted Hide Post
I love your potholders Marion! We need a tutorial on how to make these. Deb

Posts: 978 | Registered: Mar 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crazy'boutquilts
posted Hide Post
I received a wonderful goodie pkg from cksvett today! Smile Its too dark to take a good pic now, but I will get one tomorrow. Thank you!! Wave

Posts: 10447 | Location: Washington! :-) | Registered: Sep 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Handie Ann- LOVE your block of the month quilt. It would go perfectly in my bedroom- same color palette SmileSmileSmile

Posts: 1633 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Aug 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Will Quilt for Chocolate
posted Hide Post
I'm counting this as March stashbusting...I made it in December, but I didn't quilt it or finish it until today. so, I consider it finished now!

It's a Christmas gift for my Mom

Posts: 4786 | Registered: May 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's the photo of my Feb win Smile

Thank you again Chris!! Wave

~sorry there is so much reflection! I can't quite figure out the fabric~ it is kind of like linen, or maybe it is something older~? Any hints Chris?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: crazy'boutquilts,

Posts: 10447 | Location: Washington! :-) | Registered: Sep 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Will Quilt for Chocolate
posted Hide Post
I'll be teaching the rope bowls later this month, so I decided to whip up a small example bowl, from stash!

Posts: 4786 | Registered: May 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motqltr
posted Hide Post
I bought the top, a Lone Star, at the local thrift store. Used stash for the backing and binding. Finished this past Sunday
Sorry the lighting isn't the best.

http://flickr.com/photos/motqltr
~Don't assume people have a plan; they might be waiting for you to tell them the plan!~

Posts: 3532 | Location: southeast, Washington, USA | Registered: May 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motqltr
posted Hide Post
an area LQS is closing, they had the licensed Univ of Idaho fleece, so I had to buy some. This is the college my sons attend. This is the front (or it could be the back)

~Don't assume people have a plan; they might be waiting for you to tell them the plan!~

Posts: 3532 | Location: southeast, Washington, USA | Registered: May 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motqltr
posted Hide Post
and the back (or the front)

posted Hide Post
I made St Patty's table topper and placemats. Had to purchase the backing, but the batting and binding and other bits were all stash. Wink

Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
Crazy'boutquilts, no idea on the fabric. So many things end up in my stash, and I have no rememberence where they came from. Know I bought them, but it could have been at a quilt store, Joanns, a thrift store, quilt show, garage sale, estate sale, etc... Chris

Picture of Mary J
posted Hide Post
As usual, lots of fantastic "eye candy"!!

I finally got a couple pr@yer quilts finished, and delivered them to church today.

Posts: 5173 | Location: Cornfields of Indiana | Registered: Sep 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary J
posted Hide Post
This is the 2nd one.

Posts: 5173 | Location: Cornfields of Indiana | Registered: Sep 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NICE projects everyone! Good prize there, CBQ .. Mary, LOVE the prayer quilts ... love praying over quilts as I make them for someone special ... Jill, beautiful quilt & bowl... motqltr, Love the lonestar (thanks for rescuing that) and Marion... LOVE the potholders! What a great pattern Smile

Here's something that was made out of my batik stash today ... sure is pretty! Smile

posted Hide Post
and this is the one who made the purse ... we used MY stash! She ways "batiks are yummy". Precious and I had a FUN day playing with batiks, and she was sewing on Jenny Smile She says Jenny rocks! Smile

Picture of Quiltinana2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DJBrown:
I love your potholders Marion! We need a tutorial on how to make these. Deb

DJ - Marion was kind enough to send me a photo of the instructions a while ago. They are basically made from 4 assorted 8" squares folded diagonally Wrong side together, a 4" square under the opening, an 8 1/2" piece for the back and 2 8" pieces of cotton batting (poly will burn) and lastly 1 8" square of silver heat-resistant fabric for the filling. You layer it:
1 batting
1 silver square
1 batting
8 1/2" square RS up
4 folded triangles, right angle in each corner
Sew around edge making sure all layers are caught. Flip inside out through the center.
Tuck the 4" square inside the opening and tuck back the bias edge of each triangle. Quilt to hold in place.
I hope that was all. If you have any questions I can try to figure out how to transfer the instructions over to you.
Joan

ETA Forgot to add a 2 1/2" x 6" strip for a hanging loop that can be inserted between the back square and the front triangles before sewing.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Quiltinana2,

Posts: 377 | Location: Middle of the Mitten | Registered: Apr 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So many wonderful projects this month!
Nice purse Precious made, SS.
Thank you for the potholder instructions, Marian! I really like them and will try those.
I'm in awe of the variety of eye candy and the talent that's shown! Thank you all for sharing!

Posts: 2236 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Apr 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DJBrown
posted Hide Post
Quiltinana2 thanks! I'm going to gather the supplies and try to see if I can follow along.

Thanks again, Deb

Posts: 978 | Registered: Mar 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Marion2
posted Hide Post
DJ and Quiltinana2: Here is what I used to make the most recent ones and it works better for me:

I used 5 8 1/2" squares of fabric (one for the bottom and 4 to fold into triangles for the top. I used one 8" warm and natural batting and 1 7 1/2" Insul Bright squares for the inside. It made sewing and turning inside out much easier.

DJ: I sent you a pm.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Marion2,

Posts: 5547 | Location: OK | Registered: Jun 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post