Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  ♥♥ ♫♫♪ HGTV 2013 BOM ♪♫♫~ JULY Block! ♥♥
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

♥♥ ♫♫♪ HGTV 2013 BOM ♪♫♫~ JULY Block! ♥♥ Sign In/Join 
Picture of BOMchicks
posted
Happy July!

WELCOME TO THE 2013 HGTV FORUM BLOCK OF THE MONTH! Wave

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

The theme this year is Secrets Shhh
SavedSinnr and I (CBQ) Wink are 'egg'-cited and thrilled to be working with you on the BOM this year! Smile

Star Star Star Star Star Star

A Bit of Background......

*ALL board members are welcome to join us! There is no commitment or sign-up. Just join in the fun by posting on this thread. Smile

*You are not swapping, exchanging or anything else, just make the block we post on the first of each month; show us a photo of your work, and be entered into a drawing for a wonderful prize. Smile

* Each month, we will be doing a block from Quilter's Cache.

* In the intro post, found here intro post
we explained the extra blocks needed to make a larger quilt. These blocks are totally optional and secret! We will remind you each month to make your secret block. Smile

Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star

Credit: Marcia Hohn has graciously said we can use blocks from The Quilter's Cache again this year. Please read her Terms and Conditions at: http://www.quilterscache.com/. And follow the below guideline. "Should photographs of items made from Original designs be posted on your group website, they should also be clearly marked with the name of the pattern As I have it named, and that it is from The Quilter's Cache/Marcia Hohn." (Since you'll post your pictures in this thread, you will be covered by that statement.)

Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star

This year we will again challenge you to stretch your skills, ideas and creativity, while sewing and even trying new block patterns as well as methods. We are here to help! Use this thread to post your questions, problems anything related to the BOM~ and we will try to answer them for you. Smile

Step One~
Now ... without further clucking ... HERE'S the JULY BLOCK ~~

A Dandy

Additional Notes~

COME ALONG AND HAVE SOME FUN!!!
AND DON'T FORGET TO POST THOSE PICS WE LOVE PICS!
Cool

If you have trouble posting pictures, or have a challenge with resizing them to post, you can SEND THEM TO ONE OF US VIA EMAIL, and we will BE HAPPY to resize them and post for you !!!

**Remember to make a secret block for your chain this month too. Wink

Star Star Star Star Star Star

July Finishers!

STinMT
quilthappy69
alexemmarose
Handie Ann
sister sue
Malou
JLu
Will Quilt For Chocolate
Meme Quilts
Chlynn1129
patty j
Shauna's Crafty Quilter
Northern Nana
RN55
Patricia Anne
Elainetoo
CQwannabe
Mountain Laurel

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BOMchicks,

HGTV BOM! I'm SEW 'EGG'-cited!!

Posts: 368 | Registered: Jan 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That was early! I feel so disconnected from the board- we have literally bought a house and are in the process of moving (loading a truck tomorrow!) out of state within the last 3 weeks. Packing a house my family has lived in for 25 years has been hard, but the move will be for the best because no mortgage. Hard leaving a child hood home (moved here when I just turned 3).

Posts: 1924 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Aug 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PatriciaAnne
posted Hide Post
LIKE!

Posts: 524 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Oct 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RN55
posted Hide Post
ok I am getting scared that this is 2 easy ones in a row. June was easy July is easy...what do you all have in store for us in August? Love this block! cannot wait to get home to work on it.

Posts: 434 | Location: Portville, NY | Registered: Apr 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm! I should be able to do that block! Flying geese aren't my friend, usually, but practice makes almost perfect! I like the choice you made Chicks!

Quilter Jen, sorry this is a sad time for you leaving your childhood home. It is hard with change and I hope the move and settling in go good for you.

Posts: 2304 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Apr 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good luck with your move Jen. Just printed the instructions and will think about what fabric I would like to use. CQB, love the way yours turned out. Thanks for posting. Sue

Posts: 1571 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Meme quilts
posted Hide Post
Quilter Jen, good luck with the move. You'll always have memories (and I hope photos) to cherish of the childhood home.

I printed out the pattern for this month, now when I get home tonight I'll see about picking the fabrics. Not sure if I have much red or blue in my stash of FQ's I've been using for this quilt. I did use a red in one of the earlier blocks but I'm trying to use each on only once. Maybe I have another red. I do like CBQ's green one too.

In order to see the rainbow, first you must endure the rain.

Posts: 2829 | Location: SE Missouri | Registered: Jul 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crazy'boutquilts
posted Hide Post
quote:
ok I am getting scared that this is 2 easy ones in a row. June was easy July is easy...what do you all have in store for us in August? Love this block! cannot wait to get home to work on it.
LOL RN55 you are one sharp cookie!! Cookie We thought since these seem to be the two busiest months of the year, we'd give y'all a little break. Wink

Good luck with your move Jen! Hope you make lots of wonderful new memories in your new home!

Posts: 10499 | Location: Washington! :-) | Registered: Sep 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RN55
posted Hide Post
ahha I knew it! look out August and September!

Posts: 434 | Location: Portville, NY | Registered: Apr 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hearing that makes me nervous!
Hey! I have a lot going on in August too!
Just thought I would mention that!!

Posts: 2304 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Apr 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crazy'boutquilts
posted Hide Post
muh-ah-ah-ah Cool

Posts: 10499 | Location: Washington! :-) | Registered: Sep 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RN55
posted Hide Post
oh wow if we all tell them our august is busy think they will take it easy on us again?

Picture of Will Quilt for Chocolate
posted Hide Post
I think that laugh says it all! I can visualize her cracking a whip at the same time!! LOL!

Posts: 5001 | Registered: May 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RN55
posted Hide Post
I think we are doomed!

Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
I'm printing off the directions now. It probably will take me a little time to sew it together, cause I have to find some fabric,that will look sincere in this block.

Posts: 8069 | Location: Kenosha Wi USA | Registered: Sep 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of headielamar
posted Hide Post
I am behind on this; I think the last block I finished was April. I need to get caught up before the blocks start getting harder.

Posts: 2868 | Location: Cuddled up in my pretty purple house! | Registered: Jul 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Too hot to play outside, so I sewed my block today.

Posts: 537 | Location: Great Falls, MT | Registered: Apr 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Handie Ann
posted Hide Post
StinMt - I love the center of your block. the rest is really great also.
I have the directions printed out and maybe I will get to them tonight or tomorrow.

Handie Ann

Posts: 3539 | Location: Des Moines, Wa. USA | Registered: Jan 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SavedSinnr
posted Hide Post
Some mighty perty blocks this month! Y'all are crackin me up being scared because the Crazy chick is taking it easy on ya .... and well you should be Eek

Anyway, we had 17 finishers last month .... CONGRATS to all the finishers~
Sister Sue
STinMT
Patty j
Will Quilt For Choc
Handie Ann
alexemmarose
Chlynn1129
quilthappy69
J Lu
Meme Quilts
MountainLaurel
Quilter Jen
Malou
RN55
Northern Nana
CQwannabe
PatriciaAnne

Since Precious hasn't been around Frown to pull names, I had Stevie take a number ... and the WINNER IS ~~

QUILTER JEN !!!

congrats Jen ... please PM your address Smile And y'all keep up the GREAT work and beautiful blocks Big Grin

I'll be around to post mine as soon as I finish these 3 quilts and get them mailed Big Grin

2014 ... I wish you good health, love, peace and QUILTING!

Posts: 8005 | Location: digging my way out of that place I call my sewing room | Registered: Apr 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't believe I won! I will send you my address tonight. 9 hour road trip to idaho and our new house today and we are leaving at 3:30- in a couple of hours so I am supposed to be sleeping but it is too hot- 82 degrees at 1 am- so I decided to check the board. Glad I don't have to drive just navigate.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Quilter Jen,

Posts: 1924 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Aug 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats Jen! Just think, you already know you will have mail at the new house! Good luck with the move!

Picture of RN55
posted Hide Post
very pretty

posted Hide Post
Beautiful block ST! Love the embroidery in the center!

Quilter Jen, Congratulations! How nice that you won and will have a prize at the new home! It will give you a lift!

Picture of quilthappy69
posted Hide Post
Here's mine. I thought I had better get it done before more company shows up.

formily Becky from NY

Posts: 66 | Location: Clayton NC | Registered: Mar 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice quilt happy! Like the red & black!

Picture of RN55
posted Hide Post
Nice block

posted Hide Post
Some lovely blocks are showing up for this month...

Here is mine...

Posts: 3465 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of quilthappy69
posted Hide Post
congratulations Quilter Jen.

formily Becky from NY

Posts: 66 | Location: Clayton NC | Registered: Mar 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrat's Quilter Jen on being the winner for June. Hope your road trip is going well. That will be a long ride. STinMT- love your center block- the whole block looks great. Quilthappy- your red and black with the white is very striking and Alex, love your block too. I still have not picked out my colors yet. Sue

Posts: 1571 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alex, so pretty! Love the candy canes in the middle!
I have my fabric sitting out and just need to get myself going on getting this block done.
We leave for a camping family reunion next Sat. This week will be busy getting ready but I would like to get the block done before we leave.
We'll see!!

Picture of Chlynn1129
posted Hide Post
Congrats Quilter Jen on being the winner.

I have my block finished...just need to get a picture of it.

Posts: 2037 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: Dec 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Handie Ann
posted Hide Post
My blocks are done for this month.

Handie Ann

Posts: 3539 | Location: Des Moines, Wa. USA | Registered: Jan 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful block so far! Alexemmarose- I like how you used the focus fabric in the middle. Makes the block pop!

I finally got back to the board... it has been a long 3 weeks since my teaching job ended on June 12. Drove to Idaho (10 hours) to house hunt, drove back (10 hours), packed our house in 111 degree heat (we rented a trailer and the only day available we could afford), then on Wednesday drove back to Idaho (10 hours) with both our cars. Since then it has been title company, utilities, cleaning (the last owners left the house filthy), painting, etc. If it wasn't 4 in the morning, we would be painting and cleaning some more Smile

Hopefully I will have access to my machine so I can do the July block, but we shall see. I did order some new tables to sew and cut fabric on- got some good deals on Amazon that were "used" but new, just dented packaging.

Thanks for all the well wishes for being the winner! Will PM my new address shortly.

posted Hide Post
Wow! Handie! Your blocks are lovely and don't even look like they came from the same pattern! Interesting!

Posts: 3465 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Handie, very nice job on both your blocks. They do look like a different pattern, but I know it is not. Love it. I completed mine today. Using Stonehenge fabric of yellow, cream and brown. Sue

posted Hide Post
Handie, like both your blocks! Very nice and as was said... they look like they each were from a different pattern.

sue, nice block and I do love the fabric you're using.

I finished mine today. My friend, Will Quilt for Chocolate will post it soon, or tomorrow!
So glad I got it done before leaving for the family camping reunion!

posted Hide Post
Here's Malou's block!

Picture of RN55
posted Hide Post
Very nice blocks so far. Will work on mine this Friday, open sew at our lqs.

posted Hide Post
Thanks WQFC for posting my block!

posted Hide Post
Malou, nice R/W/B block. All the blocks are looking good. Sue

Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
I've been a little busy

J Lu

Posts: 1031 | Location: Eldersburg Maryland | Registered: Oct 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
Question should I be putting this thing together already?

J Lu

Posts: 1031 | Location: Eldersburg Maryland | Registered: Oct 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RN55
posted Hide Post
I just love those colors!

Picture of RN55
posted Hide Post
I am waiting to get them all done to lay them out as the whole quilt.

Picture of KBlue
posted Hide Post
All of the blocks look wonderful. Love all of the color choices. I have got to get back involved and get caught up. I've just had so much of life get in the way. I need to prioritize! Quilting first!!!! You all are an inspiration!

Posts: 747 | Location: Oregon | Registered: Aug 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
J Lu, love that print fabric! I know we've seen it before in other blocks and it is beautiful!

Thanks sue, glad you like my block!

LBlue, you can catch up! You're right... quilting first!!

I'm waiting, too, until all the blocks are done just so I can see about placement and balance. Don't know if that will work??!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Malou,

posted Hide Post
I have loved the blocks that I've seen so far. I did mine this weekend before I saw the other ones! I especially like the ones that have a different fabric in the centers. But, here's mine:

Picture of RN55
posted Hide Post
I like it.

posted Hide Post
I have had all my setting blocks done since early in the year, but waiting on putting the rows together for color placement. I also know I want to redo a block that the colors aren't playing nicely with the others (not jewel tone enough).

Hoping to have my sewing machine unpacked so I can have my July block done in time.

posted Hide Post
I like it too WQFC! I like how the two blues work together and the red adds that pop! Nice block!
Hope you manage to get your machine set up and going Jen!