Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Project Runway - Episode 6 - Tonight
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Project Runway - Episode 6 - Tonight Sign In/Join 
Picture of StarrySky
posted
This week, the producers decide that they're tired of seeing the Statue of Liberty always wearing green. So the designers set off to Mood to see what they can find to lighten Miss Libery's mood!

Well, they could if they wanted to.

But that's not what's going to happen.

Actually, I have no idea what's going to happen tonight. I haven't had time to look. Since 9:30 this morning, I've been having Adventures in Babysitting! A chatty 4 year old & an almost 1 year old who is doing her best to terrorize my cats. Razz Big Grin

So by PR time tonight, I think my eyes will need to be propped open with toothpicks. Eek

But let's watch the show, no matter what! Even if I have to dig Cheerios out of the DVR. Cool

Posts: 5735 | Location: About 28,000 Light Years From Galactic Center | Registered: Jul 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Starry, you could ask my former dil how many raisins that a VCR can hold?

I have been trying to get in the habit of recording it at 1 AM instead of just watching it at 9. Hope I remember to set it up. Dgs#3 and #2 are here for a few days.

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6257 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strings:
Starry, you could ask my former dil how many raisins that a VCR can hold?

I know that one raisin at a time fits up a kid's nostril... And that 26 rubber bands can fit in a cat's stomach... One of those, I learned first-hand! Big Grin

I need to catch up with last week's PR episode during nap time today!

Posts: 5735 | Location: About 28,000 Light Years From Galactic Center | Registered: Jul 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bunnybcb
posted Hide Post
I've got my DVR set to record at 1 am. Last week I got to watch at 9 pm because DH decided to take a nap and was still asleep when it came on. I also recorded it at 1am last week, so I could go back and watch again if I wanted to.

Posts: 1711 | Location: Georgia | Registered: Jul 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
just saw a preview and it has to do with camping gear tonight...can hardly wait!

Posts: 3449 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
Ohhhhhhh my. I don't know how I ever managed with a child in the house. But I was a *tad* younger! Needless to say, the babysitter is exhausted!! Done for now, but tired.

I did catch up with last week's episode (more or less -- naps are great, but too short sometimes) and I don't agree with the judges. I loved the first (?) collection that came down the runway (the silver & white outfits), especially the "fantasy wedding gown" or whatever it was. The long white fluffy dress, not the tight white one with the skimpy top. Wrong dress won. That little top had an odd fit.

They were right when they sent Sue home (for not being finished, etc.), but it's a darn shame that they couldn't have sent Whazzizname (Suspender Guy) right along with her!

Camping! That's right. Or rather, "glamping." Is it just me, or are they really "wasting time" this season by doing crazy things before they get down to the business of sewing? Did the contracts say "X" amount of time has to be spent with a sponsor's product? I'm starting to wonder.

posted Hide Post
I think that they are running out of good ideas for the challenges, so now just have weird ones.

I too wish they would get to the "real" designing/sewing/construction.

Strings

Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
They're doing some things right this season, though. Love Tim "Top" Gunn being there during the deliberation, and also the models coming down off the runway for a closer look at the clothes. Those two changes were good.

posted Hide Post
Starry, agree with you on those two changes.

Strings

Picture of Shogun
posted Hide Post
Wow quite an episode.

Posts: 3689 | Location: Michigan | Registered: Jan 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Well, don't want to say much cause people haven't seen the show yet.. I agree with the outcome.

Starry - agree those are 2 very good additions to the show.

Posts: 8041 | Location: Northeast | Registered: Nov 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
Good show last night, although I did fall asleep. Knew I would!

I would have picked a different winner for sure. I might have sent someone else home, but there were a few disasters to choose from in what otherwise were some good creations.

The "love letter" was stunning! When I saw the finished gown, I was glad he ditched the red/yellow/blue idea.

Did it seem to you that Helen's "dying moth" was very similar to the brown & tan gown that almost got her sent home weeks ago? Same "loose strings" look to the fabric.

And Kate still can do no wrong, I see. I didn't understand her look last night. 50 Shades meets a shower scrubbie!

Picture of Shogun
posted Hide Post
I would have picked a different loser FOR SURE. Although the win was kind of nice because it made someone else squirm.
I actually was tearing up at the end.

Posts: 3689 | Location: Michigan | Registered: Jan 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
great show last night! very happy for the ending!

Posts: 3449 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There were several choices for a winner and several choices for elimination IMHO.

At least they were using fabrics and showing design plus sewing skills.

The white bias gown with the writing was stunning. I also liked the brownish one with the leaves at the bottom. Midnite tree one was pretty too.

I liked the denim jacket, but would never wear those pants, even if they had been my size. Well, in truth, could never wear the fashions shown on the show.

Boy, the judges sure have been loose with talking about women's body parts this season.

Hope I haven't given anything away for any that have not watched it yet. I didn't watch until a little bit ago. Also don't check in here until after I have watched it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Strings,

Strings

Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
What did you think of the thread painting technique? I thought there was too much white showing when I first saw it. Tim must have thought so, too with his "scribble" comment. Looks like Brandon went back & filled it in a bit more for the finished look.

DH asked me, "Doesn't that make the piece draw up or shrink?" I tried to see if Brandon was using a stabilizer, but it was hard to tell. It almost looked like he had the piece cut to size/shape before he started stitching? Thread painting can be a stunning technique when done without the clock ticking like that, so nice try. I was really worried that dress would have no bottom half!

Soon as I saw the "tent" dress, I cringed. Knew the judges wouldn't like that shape. "Runny eggs" -- Nina!

And what did you think about the "foaming" creation? First thing I worried about was how it would hold up on a moving model under hot lights. Also wondered how you could get it to look like anything other than glue, unless it was sewn flat to the fabric or maybe under a sheer layer of some sort. But just sticking up like that, and flopping over...Confused

Nice outcome, though. Smile

Picture of Bunnybcb
posted Hide Post
Just finished watching and have to say I agree with everyone's comments. I absolutely hated the "poopy" pants and would NEVER (even in my younger, skinny days) wear those. I absolutely loved the love-letter written bias dress as well as the dark "trees at night" dress. I actually think Miranda finally made something worth keeping her. I did agree with the final outcome.

Posts: 1711 | Location: Georgia | Registered: Jul 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SheriV
posted Hide Post
I liked the bias dress but wasn't surprised at the winner. I figured the judges would like the pants, skirt thing. I loved the outcome! I too thought a different one, Ken, should go home.At the end the judges when looking at the garments, said the sewing on it was really good so I was afraid they'd him.

Posts: 520 | Registered: Jun 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post
Ditto on happy ending. I thought Justin has had some nice designs prior to the "glue gone wrong" dress. I did like the sheer panels and the flowiness of it.

Like most I didn't care for the pants. Didn't think that the winning design was upscale or dressy.

Loved the "letter" dress VERY much. I think he should market it.

I thought that Mirandas long dress with the flowers on the bottom was SUPER and a winner but it passed as okay only. Wasn't so impressed with the midnight blue with trees on it and leather train.

All in all it was a good show. Ken should have left.

Posts: 9524 | Location: Always Moving A Bit | Registered: Jan 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
Didn't the judges ask (once again) for something "high end/glamorous," and then they picked droopy pants for the win? I didn't understand that, especially when there were some knockout gowns on the runway.

"I wanna meet the cow who made this" -- the real loser last night. Big Grin I'm so tired of that commercial! Mad

Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Reba:
Loved the "letter" dress VERY much. I think he should market it.

I was thinking that would be really cool to do to fabric for a library book tote bag. Or a "sweet dreams" pillowcase. You could personalize anything that way. I'll have to go back & see what he was using for a pen & ink.

Picture of Quiltinana2
posted Hide Post
I thought the challenge was to make a high end fashion forward gown? I thought the poopy pants would be immediately in the bottom three. Loved the letter dress, hated the shower scrubbie! Was a little leaky eyed at the end.

Posts: 377 | Location: Middle of the Mitten | Registered: Apr 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chlynn1129
posted Hide Post
I hated the droopy pants outfit too. I like Miranda's dress the best this time. Weird cause I usually don't care for her designs. Glad Tim kept Justin. Smile

Posts: 2030 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: Dec 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shogun
posted Hide Post
I also like Miranda's dress with the flowers sewn around the bottom. Pretty!
I didn't like the trees as night one because on the runway it just looked dark, couldn't see the trees. The poopy pants jacket was cool, and she did way better than Ken, which was cool.

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Julie Terney(?) season 9 - is on "Sew It All" right now. I don't remember her - she doesn't present herself or her instructions very well for this project.

Posts: 8041 | Location: Northeast | Registered: Nov 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NICUnurse
posted Hide Post
They kept saying that "poopy" pants would read well for magazine shoots. That's what they're after-something Heidi can wear or a mag shoot. The bias dress with the writing was beautiful and should have won.

I'm glad Tim stepped in for Justin. I got teary too-he's such a nice guy.

Ken is a diva and he needs to "prance" on out of there.

Gosh where do they find these people. If he had something to offer-he sure hasn't shown it!!

Can't we just have a plain old challenge instead of freaky materials and "glamping" for inspiration??

Pam

Posts: 5793 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: Jan 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of asimplelife
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed this episode, relatively no drama and I felt like I got to know more about some of the designers. Not a fan of the poopy pants! Seeing Tim Gunn cry made me cry too. I hope we don't descend back into all drama this week.

I thought the letter dress was a knockout as well as the trees at midnight gown.

Posts: 1141 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: Apr 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post