Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Sew & Tell 8-15-13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sew & Tell 8-15-13 Sign In/Join 
posted
Sew and Tell is our weekly sharing thread. Tell us what you finished, what you're working on- we'll cheer you on!

I spent a couple days sewing 4 patches from squares cut from scraps. I now have 92 4.5 inch, and 228 3.5 four patches that I have to decide what to do with.

So what are you working on?

Holly

Posts: 2991 | Registered: Jul 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BetsyLu65
posted Hide Post
That's a lot of 4 patches!

I'm working on a Ricky Tim Kaleidoscope quilt. My practice one before making one with all holiday fabric for a charity raffle.

Also just finished a table runner using seminole bands.

BetsyLu65 Wink

Posts: 97 | Location: Fort Wayne, In | Registered: Aug 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltzilla
posted Hide Post
Here's DN's wedding quilt. I finally got the binding done & the label on.

Posts: 6658 | Registered: Aug 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MountainLaurel
posted Hide Post
Black, white & red are always so sharp! Love it! I am sure they will too.

I have been cleaning my sewing room and I am really upset with myself. I have way tooo many UFOs. So, I am going to try to get some done this week. I am still working on my Mom's embroidered quilt blocks. I am making them into quilts. They are going to be beautiful. There are two quilts. I am anxious to get them finished but they will take awhile yet.

Hopefully, I will have something to show you next week.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MountainLaurel,

Carolyn

http://harrisburgcof2013.shutterfly.com/pictures

Our lives are like quilts - bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love.

Posts: 2314 | Location: somewhere in my fabric stash | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holee
posted Hide Post
I'm sewing for an 18 inch doll. This is her Country Western Rock Star outfit. The pants are overalls and I need to find a guitar!

Posts: 4724 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: Sep 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is adorable Holee. Is it for a DGD?

Carolyn

Our lives are like quilts - bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love.

Posts: 2314 | Location: somewhere in my fabric stash | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holee
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4724 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: Sep 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of amiko
posted Hide Post
I have been practicing twilling since taking the class at the COF retreat.
amiko

Posts: 379 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: Oct 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of amiko
posted Hide Post
This is the another pincushion I made using the twilling stitch.
amiko

Posts: 379 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: Oct 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of amiko
posted Hide Post
Great projects ladies.
amiko

posted Hide Post
Amiko....You are getting very good at that twilling. Great job!

Carolyn

Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
Holee, I found a guitar ornament for my DH that was made of something other than glass, at the ornament shop on line. I even got it personalized with his name and year on it. I think it would be a good size for your doll. What a neat outfit you made.

Posts: 8069 | Location: Kenosha Wi USA | Registered: Sep 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holee
posted Hide Post
Thank YOU Patty...They are made of wood...now I need to know should a country rock star use a brown string guitar or a fancy black electric guitar?

posted Hide Post
I did the board's BOM last night as well as the quilters alphabet BOM for June and July (they are always later than the lovely ladies here at posting the blocks)... didn't get to Augusts' because I was falling asleep!

Posts: 1924 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Aug 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
Nice job Jen, Don't know how you found time to sew with all the arranging of your sewing space and moving into a new house. Yikes.

Posts: 8069 | Location: Kenosha Wi USA | Registered: Sep 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AngelaC
posted Hide Post
Jen, I bet it felt good to be sewing again! Your BOM is looking good.
The black & red is beautiful too! And amiko, your twilling looks good too!

I managed to get my doll quilts for Mrs Claus done this week.

Here's the first- it's made from leftovers from a memory quilt I made a few years ago.

Posts: 4664 | Registered: Apr 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AngelaC
posted Hide Post
And my second doll quilt, made from bonus HST from a Bonnie Hunter pineapple quilt that I made as a comfort quilt last fall.

Posts: 4664 | Registered: Apr 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shirlwin
posted Hide Post
More wonderful work. Love the doll!!
Is twilling the same and candlewicking? I have candlewicking on my list of must tries.

Posts: 385 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: Apr 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KaylaQuilts
posted Hide Post
Really lovely work all

Kayla

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream"
-Edgar Allan Poe-

Posts: 761 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: Jan 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
Neat assortment this weekend.

Made a quick top for QWL and now working on the string block exchange... Chris

Posts: 6097 | Location: Tampa Bay | Registered: Jan 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I made dinner napkins this week.

Happy Stitch'n

~mn_lady_us~

Quilting - Machine Embroidery-Painting - Crafts

http://s212.photobucket.com/albums/cc182/mn_lady_us/

Posts: 1110 | Location: God's Country | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the compliments- I had to sew. Been too long and was way too tired to tackle more house projects.

"Supposed" to be looking for jobs now that we are down to only updating the kitchen and bathrooms-- mom and I share a hall bath that has the lowest vanity so we are plywood sheeting over it to raise it, and possibly tiling since the laminate is pretty far gone. Kitchen involves painting the ugly containers, fixing the wall the breakfast bar tore up when we took it out, and tiling- got a good deal on glass tile at Lowes.

Posts: 1924 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Aug 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful projects ladies! Amiko, I really like your pincushions. You're doing a great job. Is the lacey edge on one twilling or is it decorative trim?

Posts: 190 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of amiko
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aka Teddylady:
Beautiful projects ladies! Amiko, I really like your pincushions. You're doing a great job. Is the lacey edge on one twilling or is it decorative trim?

Hi,
I used a piece of lace and attached it in the seam. I love to do that stitch.

amiko

Picture of amiko
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shirlwin:
More wonderful work. Love the doll!!
Is twilling the same and candlewicking? I have candlewicking on my list of must tries.

Hi,

This stitch is a decorative stitch. Candlewicking is not the same. There are some great tutorials which demonstrate this stitch. Very easy to do.
amiko

Picture of Shirlwin
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply amikoSmile Your pin cushions look great.

Posts: 385 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: Apr 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Amiko. I'm going to look for one of those tutorials.

Posts: 190 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Handie Ann
posted Hide Post
I finished the quilt top for my DGD now to get the backing for it and get it quilted. I have been helping my DH redo our kitchen. We are now getting it put back together. Got the wall cabnits hung and the floor down. Put the stove and dishwasher in place somewhat. And the room is painted.
first picture is of the quilt top.

Handie Ann

Posts: 3539 | Location: Des Moines, Wa. USA | Registered: Jan 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Handie Ann
posted Hide Post
This is the cabnits with the new range hood.

Handie Ann

Posts: 3539 | Location: Des Moines, Wa. USA | Registered: Jan 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Oh, I like those cabinets. And the quilt top is lovely. All of you are just turning our projects willy nilly and I'm getting nothing done. Gonna try to change that today, at least a little.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6590 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I've been half-way looking for an American Girl-type doll for DGD so that I can make clothes too. That is a CUTE outfit! Holee...does her hat make her butt look big? Wink

This show is always my favorite part of the week!

I am going to be perfectly honest...green and purple are not my favorites although I did make a predominately purple quilt several years ago. The two in this thread are both gorgeous! And Handie Ann's has both green and purple! I could live with both of those quilts!! (Ann, what kind of wood is used in the cabinets? I LIKE that!)

Posts: 17066 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
A purpke kitchen? Awesome! A few green plants and it's perfect! Even some Fiesta plates in purple and green! Nice choice! TFS

Posts: 7358 | Registered: Mar 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Handie Ann
posted Hide Post
KYIS, The wood is hickory. We are going to use granet on the counter tops. I'm slowly getting rid of all the dark wood in the house. I'm trying to tell myself that I would like to paint the desk and sewing cabnites in my woman cave. But I don't think that will happen.

Handie Ann

Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17066 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SusanJ93
posted Hide Post
Beautiful work everyone. I have been lurking and not posting for quite a while, too long. Decided it was time to get back in the swing of things.

Besides my Sylvia's Bridal Sampler, am working on the Granny Squares quilt from the October 2010 issue of "American Patchwork & Quilting" magazine, and the red, white and blue quilt from the cover of the June 2013 issue of "American Patchwork & Quilting.

Posts: 45 | Location: South Central Ohio | Registered: Aug 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Welcome back, Susan. Can you show us pictures?

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6590 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SusanJ93
posted Hide Post
As soon as I figure out what is wrong with my printer, I will. lol

Posts: 45 | Location: South Central Ohio | Registered: Aug 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put the borders on and quilted this quilt for my son Jonathan's 21st birthday. He made it a few years ago in a High School class, but did not put the borders on to finish it. I Love how it turned out.

(I think he's pretty proud of it too)

Posts: 227 | Location: Kansas | Registered: Apr 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's the quilting on the back. He chose the design. I'm used to doing more loopy stuff, not straight lines, but I think it turned out OK

Posts: 227 | Location: Kansas | Registered: Apr 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! Karen that is beautiful! He should be very proud. Nice quilting too.

Carolyn

Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
KSKaren, That sure is a beautiful bright quilt. What a nice finish that you created for it. Your quilting is very nice. Wish I could do that on my quilts. TFS

Picture of Quiltzilla
posted Hide Post
I LOVE Jonathan's quilt. The quilting looks great.
Good job, everyone.

Posts: 6658 | Registered: Aug 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wildcatmom
posted Hide Post
Hi-5 to Jonathan, and you, too, Karen! What a great looking quilt!

~karen Wave

Posts: 3211 | Location: SE KS | Registered: Jul 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post